Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

This is a great thread which shows the capability of the car from an Irish owner, who has posted on here:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-to-the-arctic-circle-road-trip-2022.9393/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

His road trip writeups are Bjorn worthy.....however his levels of preparation makes me feel bad about myself.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

I have a 17kW AC charger on my not-Taycan, I would definitely recommend buying the 22kW upgrade! For me, 7kW public charging is a waste of time unless you're at your destination for a very long time. Thankfully ESB have installed a network of 22kW chargers which are wasted for most people but it means I can pick up almost 50% charge in two hours. Do a bit of shopping, go to the cinema, have lunch, don't worry about the 45 minute overstay fee and pick up a significant amount of charge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

You have now joined the elite.

Those of us with 8 year old Model S, Zoe owners (few of them) can admire the Porsche while we are all pulling 22kw from Lidl chargers :)

Really makes a difference if using public charging or if you have access to 3 phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone here own the black Taycan parked below the cathedral in Enniscorthy this morning? Absolutely stunning car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Porsche have suspended production of the taycan due to wiring they get from Ukraine

FFS !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Oh man that is unfortunate. Will Porsche stand by price/trade in they agreed with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I feel for you guys

You almost have it as bad as the Ukranians.

I'm not the one waiting on the car I ordered/paid for, and I doubt the poster is comparing his disappointment with the plight of Ukrainians.

This is a thread about cars, not politics.

Based on previous VAG interactions, no.

They will use this as an excuse to cancel the order. Return your deposit unless you agree to the increase.

One kudos to Tesla here is that they honor the price and spec at the time of order no matter what the increases.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement

A few have mentioned it in the Q4 thread. Maybe Porsche will react differently but who knows?

Was onto LR about ordering new RR, they said they wouldn’t even look at my RR until later in the year, but I think once you order and pay your deposit, Porsche/any dealer should honour your order at the agreed price. They don’t reduce the cost when value of trade ins go up or price of materials go down. Have to say, I’d be pissed if they wanted more on a car costing over 100k.

Here’s a good video from Larry in AMMO Detailing in the USA.

Shows a great delivery process with online tracking etc, but also highlights the serious defects in the paint from the German factory. It still amazes me that Tesla get such a bad name for their paint, when it’s widespread across the car industry.

Anyway, stunning car, nice subtle mods etc

Worth a viewing.

While I’m loving the driving experience with the Taycan, ownership is frustrating at times. Quite simply software is not up to scratch & not what it should be on a premium car, plenty of known issues (faulty alarms for example) that Porsche can’t seem to fix.

Arrived home today from holidays to find my 12v battery dead, so car won’t open with key or app. Waiting on recovery to arrive to jump the 12v battery, but it shouldn’t die after less than 2 weeks of non-use.

Still looking forward to driving it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is there no other way to get at the 12V? In a lot of cars (EVs included), there is. Don't ask me how I know 😁

Once the 12V is charged a bit from an external source, you're usually good to go again. I guess this is probably the same issue as all other recent VAG EVs suffer from. Looks like a software issue to me, yet VW are replacing a lot of 12V batteries because of it.

I’m sure there is, but I was jet lagged and didn’t want to do any damage as I’m sure that would be a fun warranty claim

Yeah you're right to let Porsche sort it out. And sometimes these things are hard enough to find online if your car isn't that common.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I found it on a taycan forum , I’d post a link but it’s so involved you’d want to be mad to bother !

I applaud your Google skills 😁

Go on, post a link anyway, it might help someone!

• Advertisement

That's a great summary post from that user in there. I'd do it myself if the car was out of warranty, but the recommendation to let Porsche sort it out is probably more sound. It's a pity this still seems to be an issue with all Volkswagen group cars and also other manufacturers. Hyundai / Kia had the same issue 5 years ago (not sure if it is sorted in their current cars). The solution is really very simple - a small change in the fundamental design of the electronics - most likely just a software change. If the car is "always on" and the 12V battery is monitored and topped up by the HV battery as needed (like Tesla have done for over a decade), this would not happen to newish cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

funnily enough it hasnt been an issue in my etron (ive had others alright but not that!)

Yes and neither was it in the eGolf afaik. Maybe it only affects newer platforms like all MEB cars and the Taycan / e-tron GT

So had the car in with Porsche for the Alarm thing, there is a fix now and it seem to be fine last two days. New sensor. Had a couple little issues sorted and the car put on the latest software, everything seems to be working fine. The dealers are really at the mercy of Porsche releasing fixes and software updates.

Still and amazing car and bite the back of your hand good looking, every trip is a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

What type of home charger are you working from fitz ?

I had a tesla wall box from a previous car and it works a charm. Taycans come with a wall charger which doubles as a granny charger and will do 7kwh if installed properly. But I had the tesla box already there and never an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Price increases for the Taycan in the US & UK, would assume the same is coming for Ireland. And the configurator in the US & UK has been updated to include a whole suite of PTS colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I saw two Taycans today in Limerick, one black, one white.

Ubiquitous now they are 😁.

• Advertisement

No surprise there. The "from" price was relatively cheap and its main competitor (if you disregard its sister car - the Audi e-tron GT also from the Volkswagen group), the Tesla Model S, is also jumping up in price in its new version

Very big demand for EVs, very little supply. We haven't seen the end of price rises yet...

Advertisement