Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭straight

I bought a new nh 6070 with a loader 12 years now and looking back it was a great investment for my farm

Did it lose much value in the meantime? I was quoted 52k for one with a loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

ruwithme wrote: »
    The right tractor on farm is always a good investment. A young farmer starting out with commitment to farm should be encouraged to get themselves some better comfort and ease

Christ the torture some have stood with bad cabs and steps e.t.c. jail would have being less a sentence.

This is exactly why I'm trying to get a newer tractor. Our current yoke has oil leaking from somewhere new everyday, need a hammer to close the hitch, leaking cab etc etc etc (long list). It fairly breaks your heart quickly in a cold wet winters morning at 6am trying to put in bales before work and trying to find a spanner or oil for the tractor! I want to jump into something reliable, comfortable, working heater & fit for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »
    Did it lose much value in the meantime? I was quoted 52k for one with a loader.

I’d say the straight value was just over 70 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

20silkcut wrote: »
    How does 96K stack up against the prices of tractors 30-40 years ago. I remember a farm down the road from me had two Massey Ferguson 165 tractors up until the late 90’s. 250 acre farm milking 60 cows and a herd of suckler cows.
    Now the farm has been divided up amongst the sons but each one has a big fancy John Deere with loader up in the years both of them up around the 100k mark id say.
    That doesn’t make sense to me.
    No way were those two MF 165 tractors anywhere near the equivalent of 100k each today even brand new.
    Yet the farm was run as well back then as it is now.
    Still stocked at roughly the same rate. I mean to me that’s a crippling expense to have to invest that much capital in a tractor. That was not there in their fathers time.
    Maybe I’m missing something.
    I know comfort is important and a new machine can keep lads interested and just generally make a lad feel better about what he’s at. But a good tractor from the early 2000s or there abouts would nearly tick all those boxes at a fraction of the price and do the same work.

Just checked on the inflation calculator 100k today is equal to 30k in 1982.
    Was an MF 165 30 grand in 1982?
    I’d say it was half that if even. I know a direct comparison is difficult with the vast difference in the cost of money back then. Prices were lower cause borrowing was prohibitively expensive.

WE bought a MF 165 in 78 or 79 for 2,500 - was only a year old and immaculate when bought, so new price couldn't have been more than 3k at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The major difference nowadays is that back in the 70's if you sold a few cattle in the mart you could stop off at the dealers on the way home, throw the cash on the counter that you got for your 4-5 cattle and drive yourself home in a new tractor. and plenty did it

How many store cattle would you need to sell nowadays to buy a decent stockmans tractor? Would it stop at 100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭straight

Panch18 wrote: »
    The major difference nowadays is that back in the 70's if you sold a few cattle in the mart you could stop off at the dealers on the way home, throw the cash on the counter that you got for your 4-5 cattle and drive yourself home in a new tractor. and plenty did it

How many store cattle would you need to sell nowadays to buy a decent stockmans tractor? Would it stop at 100?

That's the sad reality of the situation. They talk about health and safety but unfortunately safe working machinery is often a luxury for farmers now as opposed to a basic necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

straight wrote: »
    That's the sad reality of the situation. They talk about health and safety but unfortunately safe working machinery is often a luxury for farmers now as opposed to a basic necessity.

That's the kicker really. It's grand making do but the cost of upgrading is economically unviable in a lot of cases. Prob part of the reason they will be slow to bring in testing of farm machinery as well
    Got straw delivered and man delivering saw the 20 k hours on the clock of the loader and mentioned how the newer ones wouldn't do it. He has had and sold on 414 models in late 90s and noughties at the 10k hour mark and now has an second hand volvo with a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mooooo wrote: »
    That's the kicker really. It's grand making do but the cost of upgrading is economically unviable in a lot of cases. Prob part of the reason they will be slow to bring in testing of farm machinery as well
    Got straw delivered and man delivering saw the 20 k hours on the clock of the loader and mentioned how the newer ones wouldn't do it. He has had and sold on 414 models in late 90s and noughties at the 10k hour mark and now has an second hand volvo with a few years.

Neighhour spent a fortune doing up his John deere telehandler here, north of 8k, got a notion to trade it in for a jcb310s, was warned not to by his local mechanic, hasn't got her two weeks and its giving the world of trouble, some sickener giving 40 plus k for a loader and probably worse off then if he had just kept the old one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

You get a new appreciation for your own scrap when you go try buy something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Panch18 wrote: »

The father often mentioned it took 28 good factory fit whiteheads to buy
    IH 414 in mid sixtys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Looking to buy a small handy tractor with a decent cab here for a bit...
    Hard enough got, or, hard got for not mad money is probably a better way to say it...

Seen a few that might do but they up the north - which is a fair spin from Cork ;)

Is there any reputable crowd that could check out a yoke for you and give you a report on it...
    I doubt such a service exists really - but I said I’d ask anyways...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The Rabbi wrote: »
    The father often mentioned it took 28 good factory fit whiteheads to buy
    IH 414 in mid sixtys

I was thinking about this and i was wondering have any of ye a reference between the price of a car and average wages at the time back along, just to see the changes in affordability

• Registered Users Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looking to buy a small handy tractor with a decent cab here for a bit...
    Hard enough got, or, hard got for not mad money is probably a better way to say it...

Seen a few that might do but they up the north - which is a fair spin from Cork ;)

Is there any reputable crowd that could check out a yoke for you and give you a report on it...
    I doubt such a service exists really - but I said I’d ask anyways...

Problem with getting someone to check out a tractor is that unless you are capable of spotting a good yoke it could take 2-3 checking overs at even 150/ tractor it starts to add up.

When you say a small handy tractor what are you thinking of budget wise, 2WD/4WD and how small a MF35 or a MF90 either could be considered a small tractor.

Not for you but I just spotted this on DD I taught for a stockman's tractor on a 50-100 are farm and if you had anything to trade in it not bad, it would be around 50K with a loader

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/new-same-dorado-90-natural/24553274

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

Not for you but I just spotted this on DD I taught for a stockman's tractor on a 50-100 are farm and if you had anything to trade in it not bad, it would be around 50K with a loader

There wouldn’t be much point fitting a loader on that.....

Problem with getting someone to check out a tractor is that unless you are capable of spotting a good yoke it could take 2-3 checking overs at even 150/ tractor it starts to add up.

When you say a small handy tractor what are you thinking of budget wise, 2WD/4WD and how small a MF35 or a MF90 either could be considered a small tractor.

Hi Bass...

Have a 135 - and I don’t really want to trade it, as it’s more an heirloom at this stage, and I’m kinda fond of it :)

When I say handy, I mean a bit bigger than the 135 and a good cab...
    I only feed a few bales a year, but tis awkward enough with the 135...
    After that it’s a small bit of spraying, fertilser, topping - to be honest, the 135 manages these away good enough...

The big issue is the $$$ ;)

Really - I am only hobby farming, so spending 7k - 10k on a tractor is as much as I could justify - and tis even difficult enough to do that...

A big reason for getting a half decent tractor is so the kids can come out with me...
    At the minute, they can’t - cos if I need to do anything with the tractor, that rules them out... (the 135 just isn’t safe enough)

So - I was half looking at a gator as well - as this would be better for taking people. The 135 would do me away for another while if I was to get a gator...

Open to all suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

hopeso wrote: »

Why?

Its an 88hp 4wd tractor,
    nice handy loader on it and it'd be well able to move 2 bales of silage at a time.

What more would a stockman need?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Hi Bass...

Have a 135 - and I don’t really want to trade it, as it’s more an heirloom at this stage, and I’m kinda fond of it :)

After that it’s a small bit of spraying, fertilser, topping - to be honest, the 135 manages these away good enough...

Really - I am only hobby farming, so spending 7k - 10k on a tractor is as much as I could justify - and tis even difficult enough to do that...

A big reason for getting a half decent tractor is so the kids can come out with me...
    At the minute, they can’t - cos if I need to do anything with the tractor, that rules them out... (the 135 just isn’t safe enough)

So - I was half looking at a gator as well - as this would be better for taking people. The 135 would do me away for another while if I was to get a gator...

Theres a few fiat 88-94 tractors with loaders on done deal very clean and will go up in value I reckon as the other ones seem to be like hens teeth atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Jb1989

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Theres a few fiat 88-94 tractors with loaders on done deal very clean and will go up in value I reckon as the other ones seem to be like hens teeth atm

Very cramped cab tho,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hi Bass...

I'm not sure any of the tractors in the 10k bracket would have good passenger seats? Maybe I'm wrong but even the newer tractors the passenger seat is fairly small too. I bought a ford 6640 2wd no loader last year for 10.5k which I thought was great value but it just has a depression beside the driver seat for passengers.

I wouldn't rule out the side by side atv thought.
    This is my Quad Truck. 4wd hi lo range with atv wheels and tyres. Deck big enough for a 6ft stake and your round bale of hay or straw.

20200919-104422.jpg

20200919-104520.jpg

I couldn't tell you what they are now but the above was bought for 5.5k all in a few years ago. I know of one other person with one who contacted me for a recommendation on the machine and he's raving about his.

I have a MCCormick CX 90 with an FL 60 loader. It more than adequate to do what I am doing finishing 60 cattle per year. If your slurry was contracted it would do most livestock farms. If you are making dry silage it will manage away two bales. I have a two wheel drive as well and we handle the bales in a few hours.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Hi Bass...

Forget about 135's and massey's in general they are over priced. A fiat or a Zetor are your best bet. However I saw these two by just putting 2wd into DD tractors section. The JD is in cork, the other one has no price but euro/sterling exchange is very good it would really push the budget out but you would have a tractor for the next 40 years at what you are at. You could even put a hand loader on it down the line. He has a renault as well. Check his prices include vat

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere-2850-for-sale/25752144?campaign=3

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2011-new-holland-td5010-2wd/25278469

Slava Ukrainii

Why?

Its an 88hp 4wd tractor,
    nice handy loader on it and it'd be well able to move 2 bales of silage at a time.

What more would a stockman need?

Power is the last thing you need to look at for safe/comfortable loader work. Physical weight and overall size of the tractor is more important. Although the tractor in the link is putting out 88hp, it's only got a 2.9 litre engine, and running on 28 inch rear wheels. Basically, it's a very compact, lightweight tractor that is aimed at light work.

I have a MCCormick CX 90 with an FL 60 loader. It more than adequate to do what I am doing finishing 60 cattle per year. If your slurry was contracted it would do most livestock farms. If you are making dry silage it will manage away two bales. I have a two wheel drive as well and we handle the bales in a few hours.

You'd probably agree that your CX90 would be towards the lighter end of what would be considered safe/comfortable for loader work. The tractor in that link is probably half the size and weight of your tractor. It's only got a 2.9 litre engine, and 28 inch rear wheels. It's only designed for utility work.

Forget about 135's and massey's in general they are over priced. A fiat or a Zetor are your best bet. However I saw these two by just putting 2wd into DD tractors section. The JD is in cork, the other one has no price but euro/sterling exchange is very good it would really push the budget out but you would have a tractor for the next 40 years at what you are at. You could even put a hand loader on it down the line. He has a renault as well. Check his prices include vat

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere-2850-for-sale/25752144?campaign=3

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2011-new-holland-td5010-2wd/25278469

No - I have a 135 already, and will be keeping it...

The JD, at 90hp is too big for my needs...

The td5010 is a perfect size for me - but it’s way beyond my budget - I appreciate it might do me for 40 years. But I just don’t have the cash for such a purchase...

This is what I was looking at - which is why I was asking about how to get a lad to check a machine in the north

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/david-brown-1290-4wd/25793012

No - I have a 135 already, and will be keeping it...

The JD, at 90hp is too big for my needs...

The td5010 is a perfect size for me - but it’s way beyond my budget - I appreciate it might do me for 40 years. But I just don’t have the cash for such a purchase...

This is what I was looking at - which is why I was asking about how to get a lad to check a machine in the north

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/david-brown-1290-4wd/25793012

Just a word of warning regarding ads in the North...Most prices listed are plus VAT. Although, the one in that link might be the full price, as it seems to be from a private seller.

One of the older Zetors seems to be the obvious choice? A huge closed in cab, with large flat mudguards to sit on. I think a lot of them had a passenger seat too..
    They'd be a decent enough tractor for your workload. Brakes would be one of their weak points.

Power is the last thing you need to look at for safe/comfortable loader work. Physical weight and overall size of the tractor is more important. Although the tractor in the link is putting out 88hp, it's only got a 2.9 litre engine, and running on 28 inch rear wheels. Basically, it's a very compact, lightweight tractor that is aimed at light work.

It has a hydraulic system good enough for a 3000kg rear lift capacity.

So even though it's a pretty compact package it'd be well able to work a bale of silage on a loader with one on the back while drawing in a scatter of bales.

It has a hydraulic system good enough for a 3000kg rear lift capacity.

So even though it's a pretty compact package it'd be well to work a bale of silage on a loader with one on the back while drawing in a scatter of bales.

Off you go, then..... :eek::eek::eek::D

Off you go, then..... :eek::eek::eek::D

I personally wouldn't be going next nor near one but I'm simply stating one of them would do as a stockmans tractor for tipping about with a few bales and doing a bit of topping/fert.

• Advertisement

4wd Case ih 844xl or 856xl if you can find a clean one.

Advertisement