Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭straight

I was looking at 20 and 30 series john Deeres and the prices are crazy. The M series john deere seems reasonably priced in comparison. Is there some issue with the M series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    I was looking at 20 and 30 series john Deeres and the prices are crazy. The M series john deere seems reasonably priced in comparison. Is there some issue with the M series.

Bloody fuses!

It's difficult to believe such an expensive tractor could be loaded up with the crappest bloody fuses known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

M series would be like a se model in the 66 series, prices quoted in dealers would have a lot of wiggle room depending where you go to, theirs 100’s of the above tractors sitting in dealers yards for 12 months plus not moving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

jaymla627 wrote: »
    M series would be like a se model in the 66 series, prices quoted in dealers would have a lot of wiggle room depending where you go to, theirs 100’s of the above tractors sitting in dealers yards for 12 months plus not moving

For a stock man an se spec would be the finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Theyre not though, they're the similar spec to a premium 20Series, certainly a long way from an SE. Most have 96L/min pumps with front and cab suspension, 3 SCVS power/Autoquad Plus etc. The reason theyre better value is most buyers want a cheaper tractor so demand for the older ones keeping their price up and the M's are a good bit bigger tractor, too big for many lads whereas the 20/30 series were a smaller framed tractor. They're livelier too because they're smaller and lighter than them old type M series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

12k for little 2wd ursus’s Where are lads getting prices from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But tractors sitting along time dosent seem to make any difference to dealers..i ve seen tractors staying 3 years in yards

K.G. wrote: »
    But tractors sitting along time dosent seem to make any difference to dealers..i ve seen tractors staying 3 years in yards

It was the case alright, but alot of dealerships where working of easily accessed cheap money to maintain their stock levels and not have to sell stock cheap to keep cashflow going, that's all been turned on its head at the minute ....
    Silage Wagon contractor here changed main tractor in the spring was 65k + vat with tradein , the past 3 years previous the dealership wanted 100k+vat and the same tradein, their is value out their if you find the right dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭1373

Have you priced a 120m lately . €100,000 will get a poverty spec 120m with loader , would not think that’s a reasonable investment

It was the case alright, but alot of dealerships where working of easily accessed cheap money to maintain their stock levels and not have to sell stock cheap to keep cashflow going, that's all been turned on its head at the minute ....
    Silage Wagon contractor here changed main tractor in the spring was 65k + vat with tradein , the past 3 years previous the dealership wanted 100k+vat and the same tradein, their is value out their if you find the right dealer

See a tractor this morning thats on with a bit,selling cheaper now with new tyres than she was all along,tyres could be nearly 5 k on her

• Advertisement

1373 wrote: »
    Have you priced a 120m lately . €100,000 will get a poverty spec 120m with loader , would not think that’s a reasonable investment

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2014-john-deere-6125m/25633635

I was talking new , sorry should have read thread title

70k inc VAT for a 6 year old with 3800 hours. Makes a new tractor look cheap by comparison.

Grueller wrote: »
    70k inc VAT for a 6 year old with 3800 hours. Makes a new tractor look cheap by comparison.

Makes a 13 year old tractor at 43k look expensive

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere-6420s/25919079

A friend on mine did out a spread sheet of prices of tractors and their ages.fiirst 5 years are still a good bit than any other years

In the case of some makes the older models pre 2017 are alot more reliable then the newest models the quality dosent seem to be in new tractors anymore

K.G. wrote: »
    A friend on mine did out a spread sheet of prices of tractors and their ages.fiirst 5 years are still a good bit than any other years

On that JD above, she would be similar to a NH T6.145. The NH can be got brand new for €84.5k with a quicke Q5m on board. That is €14,500 for 3800 hours. Roughly €4 per hour. Different brand I know but you get the picture.

On that JD above, she would be similar to a NH T6.145. The NH can be got brand new for €84.5k with a quicke Q5m on board. That is €14,500 for 3800 hours. Roughly €4 per hour. Different brand I know but you get the picture.

That’s a good comparison, a nearly 7 yr V brand new with full warranty , not to mention a loader that might never have seen a grease gun between services

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is that exclusive.vat

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is that exclusive.vat

Inclusive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Know a farmer near me who bought a New Holland with a loader... think ‘‘twas around the 150hp mark... 96k inc vat... I thought twas great value..... unfortunately it went up in flames after about 2 months

The new tractors are a ridiculous price.. have an 08 6430 JD with a loader here... it broke our heart for 10 years... needed a new engine in the spring of 19... garage suggested trading for a new JD the same hp... figures were stupid.... they were giving us 15k for our own.... new machine 100k we’d have to stump up 85k.... I put in a new engine into our own for 15k plus a bit of labour... tractor is flying.. going better than it ever has.... doing exactly the same work as a new one would do.... unless your contracting or doing tillage work I would think long and hard about spending money on new tractors.... there are plenty of areas on the farm that that money could be spent and give a better return as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

15k. Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Is there any difference between case and New Holland tractors ? (Say a 10 year old model)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

josephsoap wrote: »
    Is there any difference between case and New Holland tractors ? (Say a 10 year old model)

Paint and sales bs of how their cabs better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

josephsoap wrote: »

The jd would be a more refined tractor .I think it is a lot earier to jump up on a jd where as you have to climb in to a n.h. with an ackward big door .10 year old n,h. would be a superior tractor but jd look to be a stronger price
    Now I see your question case are probably a better built tractor has been said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Know a farmer near me who bought a New Holland with a loader... think ‘‘twas around the 150hp mark... 96k inc vat... I thought twas great value..... unfortunately it went up in flames after about 2 months

The new tractors are a ridiculous price.. have an 08 6430 JD with a loader here... it broke our heart for 10 years... needed a new engine in the spring of 19... garage suggested trading for a new JD the same hp... figures were stupid.... they were giving us 15k for our own.... new machine 100k we’d have to stump up 85k.... I put in a new engine into our own for 15k plus a bit of labour... tractor is flying.. going better than it ever has.... doing exactly the same work as a new one would do.... unless your contracting or doing tillage work I would think long and hard about spending money on new tractors.... there are plenty of areas on the farm that that money could be spent and give a better return as well....

How does 96K stack up against the prices of tractors 30-40 years ago. I remember a farm down the road from me had two Massey Ferguson 165 tractors up until the late 90’s. 250 acre farm milking 60 cows and a herd of suckler cows.
    Now the farm has been divided up amongst the sons but each one has a big fancy John Deere with loader up in the years both of them up around the 100k mark id say.
    That doesn’t make sense to me.
    No way were those two MF 165 tractors anywhere near the equivalent of 100k each today even brand new.
    Yet the farm was run as well back then as it is now.
    Still stocked at roughly the same rate. I mean to me that’s a crippling expense to have to invest that much capital in a tractor. That was not there in their fathers time.
    Maybe I’m missing something.
    I know comfort is important and a new machine can keep lads interested and just generally make a lad feel better about what he’s at. But a good tractor from the early 2000s or there abouts would nearly tick all those boxes at a fraction of the price and do the same work.

Just checked on the inflation calculator 100k today is equal to 30k in 1982.
    Was an MF 165 30 grand in 1982?
    I’d say it was half that if even. I know a direct comparison is difficult with the vast difference in the cost of money back then. Prices were lower cause borrowing was prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The right tractor on farm is always a good investment. A young farmer starting out with commitment to farm should be encouraged to get themselves some better comfort and ease

Christ the torture some have stood with bad cabs and steps e.t.c. jail would have being less a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Father bought 110 90 new 21 yrs ago for 28k

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

20silkcut wrote: »
    How does 96K stack up against the prices of tractors 30-40 years ago. I remember a farm down the road from me had two Massey Ferguson 165 tractors up until the late 90’s. 250 acre farm milking 60 cows and a herd of suckler cows.
    Now the farm has been divided up amongst the sons but each one has a big fancy John Deere with loader up in the years both of them up around the 100k mark id say.
    No way were those two MF 165 tractors anywhere near the equivalent of 100k each today even brand new.
    Still stocked at roughly the same rate. I mean to me that’s a crippling expense to have to invest that much capital in a tractor. That was not there in their fathers time.
    I know comfort is important and a new machine can keep lads interested and just generally make a lad feel better about what he’s at. But a good tractor from the early 2000s or there abouts would nearly tick all those boxes at a fraction of the price and do the same work.

I’d say it was half that if even. I know a direct comparison is difficult with the vast difference in the cost of money back then. Prices were lower cause borrowing was prohibitively expensive.

To be fair there was a lot more time and labour available back in the 80's than there is now. Back then we had a ford 4000 and 5000 on the farm doing the majority of the work. I was only a young lad but i remember them well. I also remember them being left on a hill to start, brakes not being great, getting stuck and even once my old lad turned over and nearly killed himself (we farm a fairly steep hillfarm). Add that to driving out fields with bales in the winter getting your b#llocks frozen off to feed the cattle.
    Compare that to the 4wd tractors we have now where they are minded in a shed and well serviced. There is comfort, reliability and safety to consider.

I for one with a young family feel happier going about the jobs like slurry, fertilizer and topping that I know will be reliable and safe rather than chancing it with a tractor thats too small for the job like my dad used to (have to) do. To be fair, he bought the first 4wd around our parts in 1993 and everyone around here has gone that route at this stage. I see it as progress much the same as sheds, pens, crushes etc are now mostly bigger and more suitable for the jobs that need to be done with less human resources available.

I should add that my newest tractor is 2003, so its not like I have a brand new tractor in the yard. I have a few tractors around 20 years old which i keep well maintained and they provide excellent reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

20silkcut wrote: »

I bought a new nh 6070 with a loader 12 years now and looking back it was a great investment for my farm

Advertisement