Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The Examiner online has a bit on importing machinery from the UK under the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Has anyone noticed that the new holland tm tractors are gone crazy expensive.... most with 10k plus hours on them!! Crazy stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

rs8 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that the new holland tm tractors are gone crazy expensive.... most with 10k plus hours on them!! Crazy stuff

Dont talk to me its nuts and you could drop 10 k into their gearbox the week after buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

K.G. wrote: »
    Dont talk to me its nuts and you could drop 10 k into their gearbox the week after buying them.

TM's areTotally over rated. Noisy yokes too and absolute sows on Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Command

And TMs are not very comfortable either.. Hard to no about buying tractors i don’t think 8-9000 hours on a well serviced tractor is a problem.. I bought a 185hp 9 year old tractor with 9100 hours last year it’s for the contracting work.. fear happy with it.. can someone show me where farmers are saving by ploughing money into machinery to do little work and the other thing you say that you can’t get your contractor when you want him..Iv no problem been with a farmer when they give you notice about there plans but this thing of ringing yesterday looking for ya today doesn’t work.. sorry about long reply..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Command wrote: »
    And TMs are not very comfortable either.. Hard to no about buying tractors i don’t think 8-9000 hours on a well serviced tractor is a problem.. I bought a 185hp 9 year old tractor with 9100 hours last year it’s for the contracting work.. fear happy with it.. can someone show me where farmers are saving by ploughing money into machinery to do little work and the other thing you say that you can’t get your contractor when you want him..Iv no problem been with a farmer when they give you notice about there plans but this thing of ringing yesterday looking for ya today doesn’t work.. sorry about long reply..

You're dead right about farmers not giving notice, I don't know how some contractors keep their cool at times. Even if it's only to provisionaly book a lad at least he knows to be expecting you to cut within a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭straight

K.G. wrote: »
    My understanding is now everyone will have to pay the vat in the uk but if your are irish registered you can get it back here whereas up to this Irish vat registered did pay the vat in the uk .as far as im aware everything else is similar except agricultural machinery now has to have a cert to say its cleaned properly but that was coming in anyway and has nothing to do with brexit.good few tractors in the country as fellas have imported a good few just in case there was duty went on them so tractors were in demand in the uk the last couple of months.3 or 4 months time might be a good time to look in the uk.all the dealers will tell you that they are mad busy but when you go to the yard you re knocking cobwebs off the tractors and batteries are low.the tams,covid and dairy expansion is slowing down trade as alot of lads are buying dribble/tanks and think the tractor will do for another year or 2 and lads are just a bit slower to travel with covid.open to correction on the tractor import stuff

Some job trying to get the actual price off some of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bullocks wrote: »
    You're dead right about farmers not giving notice, I don't know how some contractors keep their cool at times. Even if it's only to provisionaly book a lad at least he knows to be expecting you to cut within a week or so

I think this is the biggest issue. I always ring to let him know what I want done a week to 10 days before hand. For slurry it relatively easy. As well with LESS slurry systems you have a lot never window in that spreading on silage ground can take place up to at least 10 days post closing.

Silage is similar I let him know 10-12 days before when I want it done and he know if there a weather window I want it cut. I know with silage and hay he always has a problem with some lads cutting themselves but not letting him know until the morning of the day they want it bales and expect that he be there at the time they want

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

my contractor gave up baling at the end of 2019. Said it was way to much trouble but we had a good understanding. I would call him 4/5 days ahead and drop him a text when it was mowed and again when raked and ready for him .

in the years before that I had bought a mower, tedder rake and square baler

So last year I took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand wrapper and baler and a 2nd tractor recently to drive the baler more comfortably. Use to bale 150/200 bales a year before

2020 I baled 550 bales between myself and work helping lads beat the weather with hay and silage without any advertising at all or looking for work.

2021 ill be at 1000 silage & hay bales myself and doesn't bother me if I never bale for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Agree you have to work with contractors in order to get the most from them but are fortunate here in that a number of contractors in the area. Pit silage, bale silage, slurry and reseeding are all done by different lads
    But the cost of the job whether it is done by your own gear or someone elses is there anyway. Gave over 27k to contractors last year, still wouldn't do it myself. Even the slurry, who bill would cover repayments on a tanker, still wouldn't cover the time to do it or depreciation/ repairs etc. along with it
    The rising cost of equipment isn't being matched by farm sales unless there is scale there really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I see Grassmen have a new Armatrac out on demo at the minute if anyone is interested in looking at them close up.
    No air seat for donkey seems to be the only issue so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Mooooo wrote: »
    Agree you have to work with contractors in order to get the most from them but are fortunate here in that a number of contractors in the area. Pit silage, bale silage, slurry and reseeding are all done by different lads
    But the cost of the job whether it is done by your own gear or someone elses is there anyway. Gave over 27k to contractors last year, still wouldn't do it myself. Even the slurry, who bill would cover repayments on a tanker, still wouldn't cover the time to do it or depreciation/ repairs etc. along with it
    The rising cost of equipment isn't being matched by farm sales unless there is scale there really.

+1 on slurry.Why would you give yourself the dirt and misery of slurry at the busiest time of the year. Book the contractor and pay them

My silage and baling contractors are good. I always give notice and keep in touch. Baling man in particular is a pleasure. Next to impossible to get hedges cut. Slurry man gets loads of notice but sees me as a quite relaxed guy so when others start shouting I'm left waiting. Then it rains for weeks and opportunity gone. I can only see contractors rates going up while farmers income will stay static. 45k for a 13 year old 6430 with loader. At least 10 - 15k overpriced I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Mooooo wrote: »

Do everything here ourselves, main reasons are, your not waiting on anyone else and we love hardship ha.

Anyway on the topic of second hand tractors the value isn't great at the moment, we did a lot of looking over winter in the UK and here, ended up buying a new machine instead, hope to have it in the next few days.

Do everything here ourselves, main reasons are, your not waiting on anyone else and we love hardship ha.

Anyway on the topic of second hand tractors the value isn't great at the moment, we did a lot of looking over winter in the UK and here, ended up buying a new machine instead, hope to have it in the next few days.

What did ye go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

straight wrote: »
    What did ye go for?

Deutz 6185, bigger than we need really at the minute, but a wagon is something we're thinking about, so that should be more than able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

[HTML][/HTML]
    TM's areTotally over rated. Noisy yokes too and absolute sows on Diesel.

Got a 03 tm155 with 8000 hrs, 18 months ago. The guy selling it I know minds machinery and he was trading in to garaghy while I was dropping in a tractor to get fixed, I took home the tm and it's been a love affair since. 25k inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

kevthegaff wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Got a 03 tm155 with 8000 hrs, 18 months ago. The guy selling it I know minds machinery and he was trading in to garaghy while I was dropping in a tractor to get fixed, I took home the tm and it's been a love affair since. 25k inc vat

Good thing those calving cameras aren't working kev, God knows what they'd catch you at in the tm :p

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Bought a newholland t6.175 with loader. 141 plate with loader and low hours. Tis on a bale slice for the winter. Got approval yesterday for a less tanker. I don't know is it madness. I could get a new conor tanker for 19k with dribble bar on rough prices including 60% grant and turn around and buy an agitator then. Usually send most of slurry to silage ground 1 mile away. Its cut 3 times a year. I dunno am I mad or not. Contractors are busy at silage when I want slurry out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

degetme wrote: »
    Bought a newholland t6.175 with loader. 141 plate with loader and low hours. Tis on a bale slice for the winter. Got approval yesterday for a less tanker. I don't know is it madness. I could get a new conor tanker for 19k with dribble bar on rough prices including 60% grant and turn around and buy an agitator then. Usually send most of slurry to silage ground 1 mile away. Its cut 3 times a year. I dunno am I mad or not. Contractors are busy at silage when I want slurry out

It might sound mad at the time...But fast forward a few years and it will probably have paid for itself, especially if you are writing it off against tax. I'm assuming you are using a contractor at the moment? How much a year is that costing? The price of that will probably increase when he has to use a dribble bar, as well as inflation. How much is getting the slurry out where and when you want it worth? The only other consideration is your time......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

hopeso wrote: »
    It might sound mad at the time...But fast forward a few years and it will probably have paid for itself, especially if you are writing it off against tax. I'm assuming you are using a contractor at the moment? How much a year is that costing? The price of that will probably increase when he has to use a dribble bar, as well as inflation. How much is getting the slurry out where and when you want it worth? The only other consideration is your time......

I've another 35 year to go before I get the pension anyway. Ya using a contractor all along with splash plate. I'm going to try the umbilical lads for the home block in the next few weeks but grass covers are high. With the way regs are tighting up and trying to make better use of slurry rather than overloading it on silage ground. Built a new parlour last year and the dairy washings are more than I expected

If you have the time to do it you havent the work to justify the cost and when you have the work to justify, you havent the time to do it.that being said we ve been moving over time to doing most of our own work.its been a gradual build up and our gear is ok but wouldnt be new stuff,some would have been bought with some issue that we sorted but would have been otherwise sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The question is if you decided to have a tractor for light work, feeding, fertlizer spreading, a bit of topping, odd bit of mowing of surplus paddocks, to pull a small tanker to spread dairy washings etc. What size and price range tractor would you need. What would be the life time of this tractor be. On the counter side you factor in the cost of the larger tractor, its projected lifetime and on the farm.

You also factor in running costs of both tractors. While every extra hours work has a diesel cost lads often fail to factor in extra fuel used in ordinary day to day work compared to a smaller tractor. Every litre/hour extra add 55-60 euro for ever 100 hours of work.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Only thing is you back the years with a clean new holland or john deere, they hold value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

For basic farm work this looks like good value. Given that you'd buy it for a little less and you'd have a loader on it for another 6-7k, it would be as good as new for c.€38k, if it's straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

For basic farm work this looks like good value. Given that you'd buy it for a little less and you'd have a loader on it for another 6-7k, it would be as good as new for c.€38k, if it's straight.

link?

Probably the cheapest way to motor is older high hp tractors,there tends to be a limited market for them and likely to burn less diesel than many modern 4 pots.way more comfy too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/tractor/26724918

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

As far as I know there are 3 specs of New holland in them models .Seems strange there Is no mention of what model it is .For all we know It could be similar model to the turkish built td.
    edit It is td105 so run a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

cute geoge wrote: »
    As far as I know there are 3 specs of New holland in them models .Seems strange there Is no mention of what model it is .For all we know It could be similar model to the turkish built td

It is a Turkish built TD5.105. I would put a Tumosan or an Armatrac on a par with them almost.

Advertisement