Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭straight

It would seem surprisingly good dosh alright. Two local lads here, running a few trucks each, neither the brightest, one doing agribusiness and the other doing longhaul, both appear minted, spending away goodo, and more power to them.
    I would have thought it would be a cut-throat business though.

We're all used to hearing about these low margin businesses but I'm afraid farming beats them all hands down. U see all the small retailers, cafes, etc. They all have plenty staff. Heard a lad in an interview one day saying he could make his business work with less staff but he'd have to be there himself 6 days a week so it wasn't worth it. I'm afraid the farmer is the only fool doing it all himself for phuck all return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Majority of restaurants last less than 5 years. You couldn’t say that about farms

Majority of restaurants last less than 5 years. You couldn’t say that about farms

Ya, we just keep digging. Keep working harder to stay in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I'm thinking of a 2006 mc cormick mc 115 if I can get a tidy one I think they have a perkins engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

straight wrote: »
    Ya, we just keep digging. Keep working harder to stay in the same place.

Or are restauranteurs just smarter and pull the pin quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2009-new-holland-t6030-hrs6594-q40-quicke-loader/27043508

The above is a 12 year old tractor. It is €42,900. It is the ideal size tractor for a modern dairy/stock farmer.

https://obrienstractors.com/new-holland-t6-125s/

The second option is a brand new t6.125s. 117hp, no boost. Again an ideal machine for a modern dairy/stock farm. This with a quicke Q5m loader with soft drive, multi dock, self levelling, 3rd service and electronic joystick can be bought for €82,500.

The first one is maybe not the cheapest 2nd hand that you will find but it is hard to find tractors with prices listed. The differ is €39,500. That is a serious wedge of cash. However in another 12 years I would have similar hours on the new one. It should still be worth €42,500 judging by the above. That is €40k in ownership costs or €3600 per year. It will also have cheaper financing options than a second hand one.

The second hand option above in 12 years will be a 24 year old machine with 13,000 hours if I bought her. I would say €18,000 value? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. That is €24,900 in ownership costs. €2075 per year in ownership costs. Higher finance plus a shorter payment term available.
    On high tax writing off depreciation over 8 years the final difference in cost of ownership, coupled with hopefully lower maintenance costs (that generation of t6 NH were dieselaholics as well) would leve the difference between the two not as big as you would expect on first viewing in my opinion. Just my opinion mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Big horse of a tractor, the 6 pot would be ideal for pto heavy jobs like running an Agitator
    lab man wrote: »
    I'm thinking of a 2006 mc cormick mc 115 if I can get a tidy one I think they have a perkins engine?
    yes it has an intercooled perkins 1104c-44t, great engine but not a Contractor spec tractor @ 115hp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It would seem surprisingly good dosh alright. Two local lads here, running a few trucks each, neither the brightest, one doing agribusiness and the other doing longhaul, both appear minted, spending away goodo, and more power to them.
    I would have thought it would be a cut-throat business though.

A lot of lads are working away on the drip, but 2020 was a great year with diseal prices down so low, averaged out at 3k a month of a saving versus 2019 here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

It would i suppose come down to where you are at financially. Meeting the repayments on the new tractor verus the 2nd hand.

Some maybe stretching themselves even on the 2nd hand one,but buying is the right decision if it's what's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Risk of buying a newer secondhand also may not reduce the maintenance costs either. At least with new there would be some bjt of a warranty and you can maintain it to your own standards. Still the inflation on machinery compared to farm output is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

It's easier to shut the door and walk away from a rented building than it is to walk away from a farm that's been handed down.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Robson99

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-cx80/26838719
    Doesn't seem too bad of value though hours a bit high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

I’d find it hard to believe the hours on that tractor.it may be genuine but it looks too good to be true for a tractor of that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Robson99 wrote: »

Would not consider the hours High. The minute they are started they start adding hours. 7.5k hours is only 300hours a year. That the original seat in it unless they replaced it a few years ago with a new case seat. It plus vat add in sterling difference and she is costing 18k with no loader. I would not consider her good value. However she looks a straight tractor. 14-15k would be the value of her. Would not be the strongest tractor but we'll capable of lifting a bale. I want a loader on her for that money

Slava Ukrainii

It's easier with limited status and no skin ninth game if renting. Lads coukdbhave 2-3 gastro pubs or restaurants all in different companies. If you decide to pull the plug on one you can move some of the stock and equipment to one of the other businesses to keep them on the road

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would not consider the hours High. The minute they are started they start adding hours. 7.5k hours is only 300hours a year. That the original seat in it unless they replaced it a few years ago with a new case seat. It plus vat add in sterling difference and she is costing 18k with no loader. I would not consider her good value. However she looks a straight tractor. 14-15k would be the value of her. Would not be the strongest tractor but we'll capable of lifting a bale. I want a loader on her for that money

Bass you will get sweet **** all now for 14 -15k. I know you bought a Mccormick with a loader a couple of years ago sub 20k. You would be paying 20k+ for that now. Very hard to get nice clean 4wd tractor 80 - 90 hi under 17/ 18k and 20k + with a loader

Robson99 wrote: »

The fella selling that tractor is a contractor, I recognise the house as I went to see a tractor he was selling a few years back for a neighbour.
    Look elsewhere is all I'll say.

Who2 wrote: »
    I’d find it hard to believe the hours on that tractor.it may be genuine but it looks too good to be true for a tractor of that size.
    I doubt it too, that tractor shipped from new with Michelin agribib tyres, those are not Michelin on it and they are down to about 40% so god knows how many hours are really up on it. Also it has an Iveco 6.8L 6-cyl diesel which does not hold up as well as a Perkins engine when the hour get high, it will getvery smokey on big hours. Still plenty of grunt if you got it cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

I doubt it too, that tractor shipped from new with Michelin agribib tyres, those are not Michelin on it and they are down to about 40% so god knows how many hours are really up on it. Also it has an Iveco 6.8L 6-cyl diesel which does not hold up as well as a Perkins engine when the hour get high

It's dog rough. Rotten mudguards, front fenders missing, cab upholstery inside the door is torn, rusted rims. It has the look of a tired ol yoke.

• Advertisement

Big horse of a tractor, the 6 pot would be ideal for pto heavy jobs like running an Agitator

yes it has an intercooled perkins 1104c-44t, great engine but not a Contractor spec tractor @ 115hp

There isn't a hope them hrs are genuine

The fella selling that tractor is a contractor, I recognise the house as I went to see a tractor he was selling a few years back for a neighbour.
    Look elsewhere is all I'll say.

Having said all that the tractor is imported from the UK mainland. Its being sold through a tractor dealership.

However its like buying any tractor a distance away you need to get it checked out

Slava Ukrainii

There isn't a hope them hrs are genuine

Could be 15k hours. Gone around like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

I think the same engine is in a Massey 6265. It'd be a much heavier duty tractor than the McCormick and would have the popular Dynashift gearbox too.

Could be 15k hours. Gone around like.

Youd see the lads in england if u keep an eye on farming forum etc saying that they saw a tractor the traded with 15 18 20 k hrs on them with a different seat on them not new though with the hrs always changed to 7 or 8.5 hrs on them why them hrs is because clutches and packs go around them hrs so if the give trouble the guy selling says a shur at 7 or 8 k these things happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Having said all that the tractor is imported from the UK mainland. Its being sold through a tractor dealership.

However its like buying any tractor a distance away you need to get it checked out

:D:D:D Shouldn't that be a capital M?

"Fog on the channel, Continent cut off"

That cx is a respray job, back tyres worn more than the fronts so it's been carrying something on the lift arms (I bet a hedge-cutter)
    7500 hours lol, yeah right

That cx is a respray job, back tyres worn more than the fronts so it's been carrying something on the lift arms (I bet a hedge-cutter)

She has all the signs of a well minded tractor. Now its hard to tell from photos . However those CX show abuse very easy. She has not the signs of a tractor had stuff belting off it. While the rear end has been painted black this is common on all tractors that age now. Rear arms ball holders show very little wear and catches for ball holders look perfect.

Engine covers on the sides take very little abuse and usually show any carelessness by previous owners. Only one catch missing on them. Inside front window catches on front still present as is door catch cover on RHS door. Not a complete respray. Most plastic body work looks like it is polished up rather than repainted. Towbar in slot by LHS wheel and while inner part of top link at back May have been replaced it is the original type. May have been a local authorities tractor in the UK. No lights or light covers are showing signs of recent replacement.. Both side mirrors missing but maybe they have been removed to stop lads stealing them

It a clean example but it is not tarted up IMHO. As well I said the hours were low on it as Rolson taught they were high

Ps just a couple other thinks the wheels rims do not look like they were resprayed. The upholstery is not torn inside especially on LHS from a passenger sitting on it. Clutch and brake pedals do not look as if they were touched up,. While there is wear on the yellow accelerator pedal it is very little

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is it not more likely the fronts wore down 1st and were replaced.

The fronts always go 1st regardless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I wonder are secondhand teactors the same percentage cost of a new teactor all the time.in words was a 10 yearold tractor the % cost of the new one at the time 10 years ago as it is today.my rough guess is a 10 yearold tractor is 50 % of a new one today and 20 year old one is 25 % maybe a little more.does the new price set set the price of all tractors down the line not what was paid for it

Advertisement