Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I suppose he has a longer cycle these days all the way from Clonskeagh to the Convention Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Does anyone have more information on the bill? It's not easy to find much information on what they were voting on. On the surface it seems like exactly the type of thing right thinking people should be voting for, so what am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I’m a lowly paid Civil Servant. Less than €50k per annum. Currently working from home due to Covid. I am expected to provide work-sheets tracking all work done on an hour by hour basis, Monday to Friday. I’m not sure my line manager would accept ‘little nap’ as a valid explanation for an hour or two this afternoon. FFS

He works alot longer than 39 hours a week. He's been on calls all week well into the evening.
    This social outrage at the slightest thing is getting boring tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

And he was just in the middle of a wet dream about windmills, unicorns,electric cars and cows that don’t belch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Mattie McGrath was also asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Gods Gift wrote: »
    And he was just in the middle of a wet dream about windmills, unicorns,electric cars and cows that don’t belch.

High yield window lettuce boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

He was conserving energy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Let’s not forget this is the Eamon Ryan who encouraged elderly people to ditch their economical 1.0 litre petrol Micra’s and Yaris’ for 1.6ltr Diesels, local mileage! Cars that pump out NOx and are estimated to kill around a thousand people per year. The greens have done a lot more health/environmental damage in the last 12 years than any other party in the history of the state. Diesels are only cheaper to run if you do a LOT of mileage per day or towing. Low CO2 Turbocharged petrols and Hybrids existed at that time!

The same Eamon Ryan who wasted €79m of taxpayers money on the NBS! The ones who got satellite were ****ing lucky. It didn’t deliver 1 single “broadband” connection. The majority of users never got above 1mb as the network was already heavily oversold. Three were in breach of their licence anyway and would’ve had to roll out to these areas anyway. In my area, they kept the same heavily subscribed mast 7 miles away in Thurles town And just gave everyone silly “CPE repeaters” that stuck on their window. Given his recent objections about the eir rural FTTH and NBP rollout (thankfully it’s a done and dusted binding contract he can’t go near!) his position as Minister for communications is untenable.

There should be an investigation into the awarding of the contract. Didn’t they appoint an intern as a product manager or something? I remember Watty (Wattystuff) or someone on here applied for the position but later told the vacancy was filled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Imagine begrudging people €12/hr.

Sure didn't we give some of them a round of applause like.

Can you imagine if all the people on less than the living wage just downed tools for one day.
    One day of little to no cleaners, baristas, childcare workers, retail workers, wait staff, bar staff, security, etc etc.

23% of the workforce says f this, do it without us since you don't think we deserve to be paid enough to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mattie McGrath was also asleep.
    I think that was earlier in the day maybe...in fairness it was while Michael Healy Rae was talking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a fcuk if he dozed off. Almost everyone who has had to sit through lengthy presentations or meetings as part of their job has dozed off at some point. Bunch of spoofers who claim otherwise. Maybe he has sleep apnea, maybe he's unwell, maybe he's been working shocking hours. Plenty to be outraged about. This is just petty whinging. But fair enough those having a laugh about it. Fair game absolutely.

I'm totally unhappy with his vote on the bill amendment, but I don't believe his snooze played any part in that. Irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If I fall asleep at work I get fired.
    No questions.
    P45.

To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a fcuk if he dozed off. Almost everyone who has had to sit through lengthy presentations or meetings as part of their job has dozed off at some point. Bunch of spoofers who claim otherwise. Maybe he has sleep apnea, maybe he's unwell, maybe he's been working shocking hours. Plenty to be outraged about. This is just petty whinging. But fair enough those having a laugh about it. Fair game absolutely.

I'm totally unhappy with his vote on the bill amendment, but I don't believe his snooze played any part in that. Irrelevant.

Its July 16th 2020. I'm in the workforce close to 26 years now. I have fallen asleep zero times so far

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

At least he didn't dose off behind the wheel of his 2.8L VW!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't really care all that much that he dozed off momentarily either, some of the sanctimony about that, in and of itself, is boards to a tee and absolutely Hillarious. Come on, literally everybody here has nodded off unintentionally at one time in their life. Come on, we all have.

"If I nodded off like that I'd be fired ON THE SPOT"---- yeah, yeah, sure ya would....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

My brother works on the county council, and he’d be fired if he didn’t get a few hours sleep in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Its July 16th 2020. I'm in the workforce close to 26 years now. I have fallen asleep zero times so far

Well I can fess up. Easier when you have your own office though admittedly. Usually a twenty minute power nap or whatever you call it after scoffing a bit of lunch. Meeting in progress sign on the door and off I went. I know it's a bit different to sleeping on the job but I did it.

I miss that office room, had sliding doors out on to a little platform balcony. Was gorgeous on a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,670 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sky News covering it now, he is bringing the game of politicining in to disrepute if you ask me...

https://news.sky.com/video/ireland-politician-asleep-during-vote-on-lower-paid-workers-12030178

My brother works on the county council, and he’d be fired if he didn’t get a few hours sleep.

Ah that made my day.

Well I can fess up. Easier when you have your own office though admittedly. Usually a twenty minute power nap or whatever you call it after scoffing a bit of lunch. Meeting in progress sign on the door and off I went. I know it's a bit different to sleeping on the job but I did it.

I miss that office room, had sliding doors out on to a little platform balcony. Was gorgeous on a nice day.

Sounds very nice. Did you have a secretary?

• Advertisement

Sky News covering it now, he is bringing the game of politicining in to disrepute if you ask me...

https://news.sky.com/video/ireland-politician-asleep-during-vote-on-lower-paid-workers-12030178

Did Catherine Martin slip him a few benzos or what. This is hilarious, although TBH I think he knows he is toast and doesn't give a hoot now. And if he does survive as leader he will need Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,670 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My brother works on the county council, and he’d be fired if he didn’t get a few hours sleep in work.

Sounds very nice. Did you have a secretary?

Heavens no, I did all my own work, would never expect anyone to do it for me! The power naps helped me focus you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

893bet wrote: »
    I am sure half your day is spend tracking your day.

Underworked and overpaid.
    Unnecessary & provocative post. Cop on.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Heavens no, I did all my own work, would never expect anyone to do it for me! The power naps helped me focus you see.

You should have gotten one. A hot one with a sense of humour. Still sounds nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Kinda understandable to fall asleep if you are in a warm place and people are making speeches. But the optics are terrible and again it shows how gaffe prone Ryan is.

You should have gotten one. A hot one with a sense of humour. Still sounds nice though

Not many of them around, they usually frighten the Bejaysus out of you, so I declined.

Yes it was a nice set up right enough. But have moved on now as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Ah lads. He was sitting in a chair during the taking of a vote: he wasn't performing brain surgery or driving a bus. I'm fairly sure he didn't say to himself 'ah I'll just have a quick nap during this vote, nobody will notice'.

Kinda understandable to fall asleep if you are in a warm place and people are making speeches. But the optics are terrible and again it shows how gaffe prone Ryan is.

I think he will be fine. We are all human and the heat in that place today must have been something else. Add to that listen to some eejit droning on and you would have to empathise.

I'm no Greenie or Veggie BTW but this is nothing compared with that arrogant yoke Cowen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I think he will be fine. We are all human and the heat in that place today must have been something else. Add to that listen to some eejit droning on and you would have to empathise.

I'm no Greenie or Veggie BTW but this is nothing compared with that arrogant yoke Cowen.
    Ryan can't open his mouth without appearing arrogant.

Advertisement