Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

Meditation with Eamon.

Imagine yourself in a sea of seahorses.

You're riding a seahorse across the sea to get to work.

And breathe out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ryan can't open his mouth without appearing arrogant.

Can't argue with that. Wolves to the slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s a long day and has been a long day for quite a while. We have no idea if he was actually very tired maybe he had a family crisis or maybe he was unwell.
    If you were at work and you were overwhelmed with tiredness I know you would expect to be cut some slack.
    I wish people would stop escalating to outrage over every little thing. It’s getting very very boring.

Maybe he’ll give back his days wages seeing he was a sleep on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Im not a green voter by any means, but I like Ryan. Always comes across as very decent, dont get the whole arrogant vibe from him at all.

Falling asleep listening to Healy Raes talking ****e could be spun as a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It’s so ignorant and disrespectful. Barely two weeks in a key role and the first thing he says to Cowen as Minister in charge of Transport was sure go-on I’ll take your word for it, and then when the little people who are so essential are hoping for a basic payrise to subsistence level - he falls asleep. Its so RUDE and uttterly disrespectful to the people who voted for him. Can’t even keep awake to do his job - whats that - an 8k a month pension for life in due course that he wont pay a penny towards and about 160,000+ per year salary including a no questions asked 60k unvouched ‘expenses’ tax free handout cash giveaway. And he can’t f’ing stay awake during working hours. ffs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm actually fu(king fuming.

I've no political leanings as a search of my post history will show, but who in the fu(k has actually taken over the running of the country and what the fu(k are they doing? Literally asleep at the wheel never mind everything else. In so many jobs around the country that would be INSTANT dismissal.

Considering all the hours of tireless labour that the doctors, nurses and frontline professionals have put in over the last 4 month's and this absolute tool can't hack less than two weeks in government. CHRIST.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

ronivek wrote: »
    Ah lads. He was sitting in a chair during the taking of a vote: he wasn't performing brain surgery or driving a bus. I'm fairly sure he didn't say to himself 'ah I'll just have a quick nap during this vote, nobody will notice'.

take any public servant, say a teacher, nurse, guard usual sample, what do you think would happen to one of them if they were caught asleep on the job? except he is one of the highest ranking public servants now in the public eye and on a massive salary...so just forget about it? anyway, biggest thing is if he can't stay awake during his working hours, he's not fit for the job. same goes for anyone who can't stay awake during their working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The greens ... falling asleep while talking about the lower paid ...but they care ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

take any public servant, say a teacher, nurse, guard usual sample, what do you think would happen to one of them if they were caught asleep on the job? except he is one of the highest ranking public servants now in the public eye and on a massive salary...so just forget about it? anyway, biggest thing is if he can't stay awake during his working hours, he's not fit for the job. same goes for anyone who can't stay awake during their working hours.

Nothing would happen if they dozed during a presentation that was not safety critical. Just like nothing happens in 99% of private sector jobs when someone dozes during a presentation. I've worked in private public and self employed across many different job types for 25 years. It's widespread during presentations and long meetings everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Nothing would happen if they dozed during a presentation that was not safety critical. Just like nothing happens in 99% of private sector jobs when someone dozes during a presentation. I've worked in private public and self employed across many different job types for 25 years. It's widespread during presentations and long meetings everywhere.

So have I and I have yet to see it, “widespread”? Bit of an exaggeration there. And, more to the point, he wasn’t just a passive spectator of some meaningless presentation. The chief whip woke him because was due to vote on legislation with regard to lower paid jobs.

Comparing someone nodding of during a boring presentation to being asleep through a vote on processing and enacting laws for a country where you are in a ministerial position is fairly ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So have I and I have yet to see it, “widespread”? Bit of an exaggeration there. And, more to the point, he wasn’t just a passive spectator of some meaningless presentation. The chief whip woke him because was due to vote on legislation with regard to lower paid jobs.

Comparing someone nodding of during a boring presentation to being asleep through a vote on processing and enacting laws for a country where you are in a ministerial position is fairly ridiculous.

Outrage has reached even more preposterous heights.

Ministers put in 16-hour working days, 6 days a week. I wouldn’t begrudge any of them falling asleep especially if they had to listen to some of the bull**** from the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Probably a lack of b12... should eat some beef or even better lambs liver

• blanch152 wrote: »

Ministers put in 16-hour working days, 6 days a week. I wouldn’t begrudge any of them falling asleep especially if they had to listen to some of the bull**** from the opposition.

What about workers that work for a song and were begrudged (less than) an extra couple of euro an hour this evening by Brother Nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I have criticised Ryan before (I thought his speech about wanting hardware stores open at the start of Covid-19 when no-one had a clue how many would die was utterly tone deaf and complete nonsense) but this is real storm in a tea cup stuff.

He nodded off for a few minutes. I would be pretty confident he works very hard (as he should, he’s well compensated), as well as being a minister he’s in the middle of leadership race so probably sleeping few hours a night. Those online saying he needs to go etc would want to get a grip. All the keyboard warriors must be the perfect workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Generally nothing would happen. The man didn’t roll out a sleeping bag in a Garda car and intentionally sleep while being paid to do something else. Equally he didn’t lay down on a patient’s bed for a bit of a snooze instead of performing their duties.

The man fell asleep during a meeting which was being recorded and broadcast live; clearly he wasn’t intentionally going to be falling asleep. If a nurse or doctor fell asleep unintentionally during a training or classroom session I would not expect them to be disciplined.

Now if it was something that happened repeatedly there would likely be words had; but I have both personally fallen asleep a couple of times and witnessed a number of others do so during classes/meetings/training; and nobody was disciplined that I’m aware of.

Also you haven’t the first clue why he may have fallen asleep; you don’t know if he’s suffering from any health issues or taking any medication which might make him drowsy, you don’t know if he has been struggling to sleep for any number of reasons, or if his sleep last night was interrupted by some family emergency.

I mean just because people are performing their jobs in the public eye doesn’t mean they are not actual people and can be utterly perfect in all matters all of the time.

Christ almighty. If you want to attack someone at least do it for something meaningful or reasonably within their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How did the greens even get back after the shambles they were the last time and even get one of theirs as mayor of Dublin..... Are the electorate really that thick....

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Cnut of a job, I'm surprised more don't fall asleep

Yeah, highly paid with loads of ridiculous expenses and multiple pensions....heart bleeds for them :rolleyes:

Dont get me started on the wolves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭This is it

You're getting all your expressions wrong!! :D earlier you said across the pond for the UK, across the pond is the US, other side of the Atlantic. And it's Like a lamb to the slaughter, not wolves!

Anyway, big sleepy head on Eamo. Gobshyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

gmisk wrote: »
    At least this will publicise the fact he had to wake up to vote against a bill to give workers a living wage....

Catherine Martin can't take over soon enough for the greens I would say

Why? Is it better optics to be fully awake and voting against a living wage?

• Advertisement

Christ almighty. If you want to attack someone at least do it for something meaningful or reasonably within their control.
    Staying awake at work is reasonably within a person's control.

Give over with the speculation about health issues and suchlike. That's arguably even more alarmist and unfair than those who are impugning his work ethic.

It isn't the end of the world, but it was sloppy of him, and it just looks foolish when people bend over backwards to dispute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Eamon Ryan had to be woken up today during a Dail session.

https://amp.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/green-party-leader-eamon-ryan-caught-sleeping-during-dail-vote-39374326.html?__twitter_impression=true

Farce or a serious reflection on this new minister?

Hes the millhouse of leaders

And let's be clear about the vote in question:

The Social Democrat's introduced a motion to the Dail on 'Workers Rights' (https://185412-547224-1-raikfcquaxqncofqfm.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/PMB-July-2020-Final.pdf)

The Government tabled an amendment to the Social Democrat's motion which essentially restated commitments made in the Programme for Government and committed to a living wage (https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/parliamentaryBusiness/orderPaper/dail/2020/2020-07-16_dail-order-paper-thurs_en.pdf)

The vote was to pass the Government's amendment which effectively 'overwrites' the Social Democrat's motion. So if Eamon Ryan did in fact vote 'no' he actually voted in favour of the Social Democrats and against the Government. Although I didn't hear his vote in the clip and I would have thought usual protocol would be to record an abstain.

This was absolutely not some sort of vote on concrete legislation that was ever going to be enacted; it's just how business is generally conducted in the Dail.

Staying awake at work is reasonably within a person's control.

Give over with the speculation about health issues and suchlike. That's arguably even more alarmist and unfair than those who are impugning his work ethic.

It isn't the end of the world, but it was sloppy of him, and it just looks foolish when people bend over backwards to dispute that.

Ah yes indeed; I shouldn't speculate about the reason for him falling asleep but you are perfectly entitled to perform an equivalent speculation and also pass judgement. Funny how that works.

And alarmist? What are you even talking about. People take all kinds of medications and have all kind of health issues as a matter of course; especially as one gets older. There's nothing 'alarmist' about it.

And alarmist? What are you even talking about. People take all kinds of medications and have all kind of health issues as a matter of course; especially as one gets older.
    Getting older is a perfectly reasonable explanation by itself. I think it's bad form to go further and start speculating on someone being in poor health, with absolutely no factual basis; there's just no justification for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Agreed. The man was asleep on the job. He was woke up to vote down a living wage and the right to collective bargaining.
    The Greens are very disappointing...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

What a Joke. God help us if the Greens start making any calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,961 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

To be honest the general carry on in this Dail would put anyone to sleep. Not a good start for the greens albeit have they actually started at all, little has been heard from either Ryan or his deputy leader since government formed, O gorman at least making an effort. I guess anyone who watched the god awful green leaders debate webcast will have got a sense of the incoherent nature of this party. I predicted a train wreck of a coalition, I don't think I'm far wrong and please Eamonn get a hair cut. Meanwhile over at FF...............

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thread is a joke fort the mos part - 'the perpetually want to be outraged brigade' out in force - let's have another GE because Eamonn Ryan nodded off ffs! As others have said in the thread, anyone claiming not to have nodded off at boring meetings/ presentations is a liar and most of us would not be working under anything like the pressure that Eamonn Ryan is under.

Once the lights dim and the mind numbing power point presentation starts I'm gone - switched out rather than sleeping - and the seating would never have been as comfy as that currently in use by our TDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Not sure if it has been mentioned but those seats look sooooo comfy.

As others have said it's not a good look and won't help with the leadership bid.

Advertisement