Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Keep em on target and there should be no issue going in calf once they reach it. Last two years I've had every heifer scanned in calf, albeit spread out a bit, however 2 this year and one the year before had embryo losses.
    Also on the calves would be no harm to keep an eye on done deal or farmers selling direct. Know one farmer with a crossbred herd, altho he only uses JE on heifers and high ebi black and whites on cows so majority are prob 3/4 fr. But he uses 3 Fr bulls to mop up. He buys the bulls from a dairy farmer who fattens all bulls on out block and he buys the high ebi ones off him. The man he buys the bulls from would be a top operator as well and has a good herd so would have no issues in buying calves off them bar the fact they would be later born.
    I use AA to clean up along with beef AI and while his fr bull calves make less than my beef calves his heifers make more so could be argued hes as well off as he can buy 3 bulls for less than the price of 2 AA bulls. He also finishes them after the season so no worrying about keeping em over a few seasons to get the value out of the purchase price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You need to apply for a special movement permit if moving before 10 days

No need to move calves younger than 14 days imo

Is it not just ticking a box on the regular permit page?
    By the time the BVD is processed it’s much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You need to apply for a special movement permit if moving before 10 days

No need to move calves younger than 14 days imo
    Calves can go farm to farm movement at 10 days old (under 100klms) as long as their navel is healed properly but must be min of 14 days if they are to be sold through a mart again their navel has to have healed properly. The new Livestock Mart legislation brought in in 2018 covers that.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/si/128/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Base price wrote: »
    Calves can go farm to farm movement at 10 days old (under 100klms) as long as their navel is healed properly but must be min of 14 days if they are to be sold through a mart again their navel has to have healed properly. The new Livestock Mart legislation brought in in 2018 covers that.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/si/128/made/en/print

Yes, but need request special permit under the 10 days old?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Didn't plan it but will have a research trial for this in the coming months.

I bought 20 weanling dairy heifers (10 BF and 10 xbred) last September when the plan was to go milking. I'll be trying to put them in calf thru AI first and then a second chance with a bull for another while.

I paid an average price for them all, not one price for the BF and another for the xbred. It's only when I got the blue cards I realised some were Feb born and some were April born. They're all doing OK, but there's some who you could pick out as April born still.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference in the conception rates between the Feb and April born ones. As well as an difference between the BF and xbred ones.

First calf of the year born here last night from our youngest heifer. Calved a week early but all ok.

• Advertisement

I don't know tbh other than there is an exemption for bringing a calf under 10 days old to a Vet for medical attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It takes the 10 days for the calf to get going properly. Wouldn't be moving them before that. Sure it take the guts of the week to get the bvd results anyway

Considering that there is an exemption on the transport of calves under 10 days old to a Vet then there seems to be anomaly in the regulations if a farmer can sell, transport calves under 10 days old.
    Edit to add - the latest Jan 2021 updated EU/Irish legislation allows for a farmer to transport her/his own livestock in their own trailer within 65km of their base. I had a quick gaze through it but it doesn't go into detail about transporting young calves.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/f7279-transport-of-live-animals/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

From what I’m hearing over the last couple of years is that calves under 10 days are being moved with special applications like green grass said- however the reality is that these calves are well older then 10 days cause lads are registering them till later to make their figures look better- it currently takes about 8 days to get bvd results back

stanflt wrote: »
    From what I’m hearing over the last couple of years is that calves under 10 days are being moved with special applications like green grass said- however the reality is that these calves are well older then 10 days cause lads are registering them till later to make their figures look better- it currently takes about 8 days to get bvd results back
    Posted monday, results today enfer

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Posted monday, results today enfer

I posted last Thursday still no results

Just got text there after milking this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »
    It takes the 10 days for the calf to get going properly. Wouldn't be moving them before that. Sure it take the guts of the week to get the bvd results anyway

The only thing I can say is that maybe the calves are better off away from any farmer who isn't prepared to look after them.

The only thing I can say is that maybe the calves are better off away from any farmer who isn't prepared to look after them.

That there is the post of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Post them here Monday Wednesday and Thursday. Thur samples usually take a bit longer

dar31 wrote: »
    Post them here Monday Wednesday and Thursday. Thur samples usually take a bit longer

So it’s not just me-

Are they still doing the covid testing in enfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Have a group of x breda, one calved last night. I dont know which one, how do ye normally inspect them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Have a group of x breda, one calved last night. I dont know which one, how do ye normally inspect them?

Usually try and spot any with a string out of them. Then failing that any traces of blood on their tail or body. Then failing that compare the bones on the group and which one is the most furthest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Heifer or cows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had the yearling heifers out in an open yard giving them meal. Says I to the father "They're a good bunch of heifers this year". He replied "Oh yeah they're good alright". Then I says" We could sell off one or two this year in the dairy sale in such a Mart as we've a good number" ." I suppose we could" Says he.
    One minute later, the phone rings while we're still looking at the heifers. "Hello Say this is ******. You've bought and sold in our dairy sale before. I'm just letting you know our next dairy sale is next week on the ***. If you've stock for sale or looking to buy.."

This telepathy stuff is great craic. Isn't it? :D

Handle them

I had the yearling heifers out in an open yard giving them meal. Says I to the father "They're a good bunch of heifers this year". He replied "Oh yeah they're good alright". Then I says" We could sell off one or two this year in the dairy sale in such a Mart as we've a good number" ." I suppose we could" Says he.
    One minute later, the phone rings while we're still looking at the heifers. "Hello Say this is ******. You've bought and sold in our dairy sale before. I'm just letting you know our next dairy sale is next week on the ***. If you've stock for sale or looking to buy.."

This telepathy stuff is great craic. Isn't it? :D
    Dairy stock in big demand atm, bulling heifers making 900 to 1000 I'm hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Narrow down through normal signs. Then rectal exam the one you tjink

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

So it’s not just me-

Which lab ,none gone yet but I use enfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

dar31 wrote: »
    Narrow down through normal signs. Then rectal exam the one you tjink

Erm... someone better have the talk with Dar...
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Erm... someone better have the talk with Dar...
    ;)

Why??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dairy stock in big demand atm, bulling heifers making 900 to 1000 I'm hearing

What part of the country is that?

I’ve 20 here I’d be tempted to move if I got that kinda money for them.

10 are BR and 10 are either 50% or 25% xbred.

Any bid???

Ah I’m only joking. I’d sell them for that money alright but I’m disappointed I won’t be milking them myself this time next year.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

On the early movements

Say you spend 10 minutes a day on the calf
    €20 x 1.16 = €23.33
    42L milk X €0.32 = €13.44
    Say €3 on straw

That’s €40 for a €100 calf, maybe a €150 calf

The limit is 65km, that’s maximum 40 minutes.

Is there that much of a difference moving a calf for 40 minutes when they’re a week rather than two weeks old? You’re not talking about long haul here

That’s not pricing in the risk of the calf getting scour, pneumonia etc

• Advertisement

When I sell calves it's mostly to repeat customers. Calves leave here A1. At 10 days they are stronger and it's less stress on them if they are not moved until then. Each to their own but I dont want people coming back complaining of the extra work with sick calves. A few minutes extra work for happy customers .

Advertisement