Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Hard to fathom given the last few weeks of weather that the herd is holding at 1.9kgs ms of 1kg of meal, without stripping the condition of them

3 kgs here for 1.75 kgs had them.up to 4kg when it was wet and they still dropped

Dosing again on monday for lung worm, woeful amount of coughing going on atm, done for ibr at start of july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cosatron wrote: »
    Surely the 2606kg/ha of nitrogen is wrong cause according fertilizer association website it’s says to multiply kg/ha*0.8 to convert to units/acres that’s giving me figure over 2000 units . Colour me confused. Can someone shed some light on this

I'd say its a decimal point in the wrong spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

3 kgs here for 1.75 kgs had them.up to 4kg when it was wet and they still dropped

Dosing again on monday for lung worm, woeful amount of coughing going on atm, done for ibr at start of july

It wasn’t extra meal they needed in wet weather it’s some of those rocket fuel high dm bales made during summer they were in here for 10’days no extra meal and I’m just about holding 2 kgms

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

Id be scruitinising the cause of the coughing abit more if you have dosed already, maybe get a handful of lungwashs done to see is it definitely lungworm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

ted_182 wrote: »
    Id be scruitinising the cause of the coughing abit more if you have dosed already, maybe get a handful of lungwashs done to see is it definitely lungworm

They were done back in mid may so done a while tbh. Lung washes arent cheap either
    I've paid close attention to them the last week or so and I reckon its lung worm just by the way they are coughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They were done back in mid may so done a while tbh. Lung washes arent cheap either
    I've paid close attention to them the last week or so and I reckon its lung worm just by the way they are coughing

Is it a young herd? There should be more immunity there in cow's, you're not alone however have heard of a good few going in twice. Done the once here with epricis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Hard to fathom given the last few weeks of weather that the herd is holding at 1.9kgs ms of 1kg of meal, without stripping the condition of them

I'd say they are only at 1kg this week. Go back on their notes they were at 3.3 and higher for the earlier weeks of Aug

Didn’t u use eprecis (injection)I’d be asking questions there if u did should be no need to go in again mow ,lungworms May not be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Didn’t u use eprecis (injection)I’d be asking questions there if u did should be no need to go in again mow ,lungworms May not be the problem

Eprecis provides two weeks cover against reinfection after that cows will become infected again, higher stocking rates cows been pushed to graze tighter in all likelihood down the line will lead to ivermection been useless for treating lung worms due to resistance been built up, with no other drug licensed to work on lactating cows it will become a huge issue on alot of farms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Reading the dairy thread on the British forum some seem to be dosing several times a year. Saw a gruesome picture of an autopsy of a heifer that died from it. Not so much an autopsy but the vet just cut her and you could see them inside everywhere. A lot seem to be going back to vaccinating youngstock with Huskvac before going out. I don't know if it's resistance or they just manage calves differently there, not grazing them in the first year maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Gillespy wrote: »
    Reading the dairy thread on the British forum some seem to be dosing several times a year. Saw a gruesome picture of an autopsy of a heifer that died from it. Not so much an autopsy but the vet just cut her and you could see them inside everywhere. A lot seem to be going back to vaccinating youngstock with Huskvac before going out. I don't know if it's resistance or they just manage calves differently there, not grazing them in the first year maybe.

I've seen posts on Facebook from an impartial poster showing farming life of spring born calves being dosed in May. And as if to say it's normal farming life.
    If people could get it through their heads that this is not normal nor should it have ever been accepted as normal we might get somewhere.

Now how to correct it..

Don't feed stock with forage and feed that has been sprayed with glyph or dockspray.
    You ruin their immune system.

Graze youngstock on the same farm as the cows.

Reduce the nitrogen and fertilizer usage. Potash included.

Build the brix in your forage. Healthy feed means healthy stock and better able to withstand any disease or viral attacks.

Only dose when there's symptoms not as according to the calendar.

And remember it's not normal to dose no matter what calendar or hat you receive from the company.

Every generation gets better when you start to implement the above. Likewise it's the opposite holds true too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I've seen posts on Facebook from an impartial poster showing farming life of spring born calves being dosed in May. And as if to say it's normal farming life.
    If people could get it through their heads that this is not normal nor should it have ever been accepted as normal we might get somewhere.

Now how to correct it..

Don't feed stock with forage and feed that has been sprayed with glyph or dockspray.
    You ruin their immune system.

Graze youngstock on the same farm as the cows.

Reduce the nitrogen and fertilizer usage. Potash included.

Build the brix in your forage. Healthy feed means healthy stock and better able to withstand any disease or viral attacks.

Only dose when there's symptoms not as according to the calendar.

And remember it's not normal to dose no matter what calendar or hat you receive from the company.

Every generation gets better when you start to implement the above. Likewise it's the opposite holds true too.

You could also buy store lambs in October to clean out paddocks. Whatever worms affect cattle don’t impact sheep and vice versa so mixed grazing is a simple wormer in itself

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭straight

straight wrote: »

€35-40 a bale is expensive "rocket fuel" alright.

What would be very useful in the PastureBase app (or other grass measuring apps) is a calculation or ratio of fertiliser applied versus grass grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Yer overthinking it lads

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Yer overthinking it lads

Maybe underthinking. Alot to be said for buying in bales for 20 to 25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Maybe underthinking. Alot to be said for buying in bales for 20 to 25 euro.

Delivered. If you know what you're getting

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Yer overthinking it lads

Could well be but the point remains - media reports of people growing 16t of grass don’t tell the full story when they don’t mention how much fertiliser is being spread or how much it cost to set up and maintain paddocks

Could well be but the point remains - media reports of people growing 16t of grass don’t tell the full story when they don’t mention how much fertiliser is being spread or how much it cost to set up and maintain paddocks

Maybe if they all cut and weighed they wouldn't be growing 16 ton.

Maybe if they all cut and weighed they wouldn't be growing 16 ton.

16/18 tonne whatever figure lads want to throw at it .it dosnt matter I’ve zero idea of how many tonnes I grow and couldn’t be arsed figuring it out I’m carrying a high Sr use near max of Fertliser I’m allowed cows out early feb within reason till early November .i take surpluses etc etc many others same.what u do with the grass is important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Scanned today heifers and cows, under 5%empty, thought I was going well with 9% last year!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Scanned today heifers and cows, under 5%empty, thought I was going well with 9% last year!

Well done great going, how long was breeding season?

Savage going tgere Kev

Mooooo wrote: »
    Well done great going, how long was breeding season?

25th april to end of July, I think cows arent particularly pushed here for yields and I'm feeding them better, also my aiing is better this year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

First timer here, under 4%, I'm guessing from the above thats good going

Green&Red wrote: »
    First timer here, under 4%, I'm guessing from the above thats good going
    Great going, hearing high conception rates from.alot of lada. Maybe the dry early summer or lads are breeding for fertility more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭cosatron

Great going, hearing high conception rates from.alot of lada. Maybe the dry early summer or lads are breeding for fertility more
    Management of the herd is more important than breeding for fertility. we have some cows that go in calf every year on the first serve who according to icbf are negative for fertility. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What should be the plan with the empties?

cosatron wrote: »
    Management of the herd is more important than breeding for fertility. we have some cows that go in calf every year on the first serve who according to icbf are negative for fertility. :rolleyes:

They're in every herd. Age of herd is likely a factor as well, younger cow's can be more likely to go in calf.

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    What should be the plan with the empties?

If you can carry them without feeding extra it may be as well to milk on till dry off and either sell in milk or dry off and sell or carry to spring and sell. If you are tight on grass sell now in milk, 500 to 750 could be the range roughly

Advertisement