Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Artic or sideboom? Hope she goes well for ya
    Thanks, she's neither. Front boom, not articulated but crab steering so she's very manouverable.
    Panch18 wrote: »
    smashing - well may she wear for you

Any chance of a few photos on the machinery thread?
    Thanks, I'll post a few tomorrow.
    What model? I've a 580t, mighty machine you won't know yourself. Only issue I'm having is service backup. Farm power don't really want to know and they're also not at all experienced with the brand and at 80+vat an hour it doesn't be long getting expensive to have them tinkering around

She's a 750T. Tbh, she's a fair basic model, very little electronics on her. From 2009 but wasn't putting up big hours. Gearys in Kilmeedy are the local dealers and my mechanic would be going there fairly often for bits and pieces for local JDs so it shouldn't be too bad to get parts for her. They were good in pointing her out to me as well.

I must get a quick attach welded up for her, all of mine are euro hitch so I can use nothing till I get that sorted but hopefully have it all done by the weekend. I'll probably get her a bucket of her own though, I've a few jobs she'll be at with that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »
    What do ye all use to treat mastitis Folks? I have a second calver here with it in one quarter. Any sucklers were always multimast tubes and pen and strep. I have marbocyl here,its shorter withdrawal than p&s and probably better too. Does anyone go that way?

3 synulox tubes followed by 7 days withdrawal.

Letter from Kerry in the post just now that all milking machines will have to be washed by chlorine free detergents from next Feb 28th. It'll be interesting as the local Delaval store isn't currently stocking any chlorine free powders.

Does anybody ever ask what is going to cover all the extra cost of chlorine free? The co ops will end up with an even better product and higher sales of detergent and the farmers margin gets further eroded. Theres not much left in that margin now if you ask me. More compliance costs on top of, slurry storage, LESS, the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What do ye all use to treat mastitis Folks? I have a second calver here with it in one quarter. Any sucklers were always multimast tubes and pen and strep. I have marbocyl here,its shorter withdrawal than p&s and probably better too. Does anyone go that way?

Stick it on a sterile milk bottle and get it tested to see what bug is causing it
    You'll get the right tubes then

In the interm get some uddermint and rub it in at each milking, it's great for taking inflammation out of udders

We use it on the freshly calved heifers here for a few days, helps keep there udders right until they settle into milking and start milking out fully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    Does anybody ever ask what is going to cover all the extra cost of chlorine free? The co ops will end up with an even better product and higher sales of detergent and the farmers margin gets further eroded. Theres not much left in that margin now if you ask me. More compliance costs on top of, slurry storage, LESS, the list goes on.

Simple answer is we’re mugs we do all the donkey work and suck up the expense for sf all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

straight wrote: »
    3 synulox tubes followed by 7 days withdrawal.

Why seven days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    Massive reductions can be achieved by not throwing fertiliser away in the Spring time. Background N will easily feed early growth rates and in most cases until the plant has been stimulated with a grazing.

Follow this by turning off the spinner while passing exits, water troughs, and lie back areas, or any area where any congregation occurs and you can easily cut down from a 25 units spread rate to an actual 20 units used rate.

Over a year..it quiet significant.

What did me man from the Dept. say...’Ah Lads’?

I’ll get me coat.
    :)

Edit: Called into the shop last month and they had no plans to get in chlorine free powders then. I imagine that's changed now.

Had a look at my detergents this evening. Turns out Delaval have a chlorine free detergent, RX5000 Clean. Contains Sodium hydroxide.

Why seven days?

3 days of tubes once a day and 4 days withdrawl?

Why seven days?

Oops, meantc7 milkings / 84 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

grandfather used to put out 300 weight back in the 60s and 70s, thats per spreading, he makes out we grow nothing like what they used to in the country, hes often giving out about the little butty grass all over the place

Yep, like snuff at a wake...but utilisation wasn’t half as good. In fairness, lads make better use of grass now, and with grass measuring stocking rates are better matched to grass production. It’s when the grass doesn’t grow the wheels come off the wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Try her with mamazyin (spelling could b dodgy)... not cheap... 3-5 injections@14euro each... but it works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

)She is almost clear of it this morning thank god. Swelling going down, milk almost clear. By this evening milk should be clear fully and withdrawal is up for the morning. I have a sample taken for testing as suggested. Thanks for all the advice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Had a look at my detergents this evening. Turns out Delaval have a chlorine free detergent, RX5000 Clean. Contains Sodium hydroxide.

It's all sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide or mixtures of both.

Are you limited to Delaval products?

It's all sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide or mixtures of both.

Are you limited to Delaval products?

Just the sodium hydroxide. Not limited to them but have had no problems with them or their products so hope to stay using them.

Just the sodium hydroxide. Not limited to them but have had no problems with them or their products so hope to stay using them.

If it's purely sodium hydroxide. Can also do it with potassium hydroxide. You can now add to seawater and bring it up to pH 10.78 and watch as it forms a solid white lump in the bottom of the container.
    Then you'll be certified. :p

If it's purely sodium hydroxide. Can also do it with potassium hydroxide. You can now add to seawater and bring it up to pH 10.78 and watch as it forms a solid white lump in the bottom of the container.
    Then you'll be certified. :p

I can get the collection driver to shovel the milk out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

)She is almost clear of it this morning thank god. Swelling going down, milk almost clear. By this evening milk should be clear fully and withdrawal is up for the morning. I have a sample taken for testing as suggested. Thanks for all the advice folks.

No point in getting it sampled now, antibiotics in milk will spoil the test, but for next time take a sample when it first appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Cost per annum of just the dairy milking machine detergents going from €280 to €1160 on the back of this chlorine free racket...

Rethink required me thinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cost per annum of just the dairy milking machine detergents going from €280 to €1160 on the back of this chlorine free racket...

I'm sure it will all be reflected in a fair milk price :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How much in extra processor fines from failed tests also??

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'm sure it will all be reflected in a fair milk price :D

At least you have the comedy to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Divosan is supposed to be good for bulk tanks but its 4 euros a litre.

If you use plenty of hot water you'll have no bother but that's costly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

mf240 wrote: »
    Divosan is supposed to be good for bulk tanks but its 4 euros a litre.

If you use plenty of hot water you'll have no bother but that's costly too.

From mine and few others I know it’s pure ****e even with hot water and it’s also crazy expensive

Off to trace a fault in a fence line. I have it narrowed down to about 300m of fairly new fence, reading 7.8kv until I attach this line onto the fence and drops to 1.2. Thing is I have all the weeds cleared and nothing seems to be touching the wire anywhere so I'm going moving the fence out another foot from the hedge and seeing if I can see something.

Strangest short I've ever come across:confused:

mahoney_j wrote: »
    From mine and few others I know it’s pure ****e even with hot water and it’s also crazy expensive

Ya I'm only on my first drum so cant say one way or another. Probably get cheaper If another company enters the market.

Off to trace a fault in a fence line. I have it narrowed down to about 300m of fairly new fence, reading 7.8kv until I attach this line onto the fence and drops to 1.2. Thing is I have all the weeds cleared and nothing seems to be touching the wire anywhere so I'm going moving the fence out another foot from the hedge and seeing if I can see something.

Any push down stakes on it. If the plastic on the pigtails crack they earth the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »

used it here and was getting on good, however was using up the last of a chlorine detergent maybe every second or or third wash

when using it full time , you are 100% correct, it's SH**E

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Seems along the lines of the Bord Bia QA scheme - makes it easier for processors to sell abroad but passes nothing back to the farmer for the extra work.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

If you could get your hands on a battery portable AM radio and run along the fence . Could be handy too.

Advertisement