Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

I was chatting to a milk advisor this time last year and he was saying there was big concerns about chlorine free detergents and robotic milking. Milk sitting in piping for long periods of time is an issue that non-chlorone detergents can't deal with supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

One of my dry cows calved in a field a good bit away. She was a bit loopy and calf was in a puddle with it's head underneath it. I had no stick :rolleyes: and had to do a wonderwoman manoeuvre to save the calf. Got some help and got them both down to the yard. Milked some biestings out of her and stomach tubed the calf. Should be ok.

Off to trace a fault in a fence line. I have it narrowed down to about 300m of fairly new fence, reading 7.8kv until I attach this line onto the fence and drops to 1.2. Thing is I have all the weeds cleared and nothing seems to be touching the wire anywhere so I'm going moving the fence out another foot from the hedge and seeing if I can see something.

Strangest short I've ever come across:confused:

Is it wire,cord or tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    One of my dry cows calved in a field a good bit away. She was a bit loopy and calf was in a puddle with it's head underneath it. I had no stick :rolleyes: and had to do a wonderwoman manoeuvre to save the calf. Got some help and got them both down to the yard. Milked some biestings out of her and stomach tubed the calf. Should be ok.

Do you have a basket for the loader or small trailer for jeep? Could pull in alongside and put calf in and cow may follow away then when they can see the calf. Used a basket on loader here for that, would work some of the time anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I wanna hear more about this manoeuvre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

einn32 wrote: »
    I was chatting to a milk advisor this time last year and he was saying there was big concerns about chlorine free detergents and robotic milking. Milk sitting in piping for long periods of time is an issue that non-chlorone detergents can't deal with supposedly.

Are robotic machines falling the chlorine tests? If there is enough rinsing they shouldn't, same as most machines

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do you have a basket for the loader or small trailer for jeep? Could pull in alongside and put calf in and cow may follow away then when they can see the calf. Used a basket on loader here for that, would work some of the time anyway

Ground is very wet, I brought the landcruiser up and threw the calf in the back. We had driven the cows out with the jeep before we took the calf. Ran all the cows to the yard and took the cow off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Are robotic machines falling the chlorine tests? If there is enough rinsing they shouldn't, same as most machines

Savage problems with the older type a4's and delavals in America with tbcs only way around it was to use 4 times the recommend detergent levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

orm0nd wrote: »
    used it here and was getting on good, however was using up the last of a chlorine detergent maybe every second or or third wash

when using it full time , you are 100% correct, it's SH**E

Using divosan for a year here in the bulk tank with no problems but I pre spray and wipe every cow and I'd say without doing that I'd be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mf240 wrote: »
    Any push down stakes on it. If the plastic on the pigtails crack they earth the fence.
    No, all wooden stakes. Had to replace 3 of them and moved the
    others out from the ditch. Reading 4.2kv now on that section but it should be much better.
    If you could get your hands on a battery portable AM radio and run along the fence . Could be handy too.
    Muist look into that:D
    Is it wire,cord or tape?

Mild steel wire. It's only up 3 years, no breaks. I must go back and sort the next section now as it's dragging the current down to 2.1kv and that's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Using divosan for a year here in the bulk tank with no problems but I pre spray and wipe every cow and I'd say without doing that I'd be in trouble.

Are u ch free for parlour wash ???good few seem to be ch free on just tank and a lot are still using ch products on both .i know in Arrabawn stores they’ve stopped buying ch products and when current stocks are gone that’s it .for anyone that hasn’t gone ch free yet I’d strongly encourage to switch now because it’s a minefield as regards products and tank and parlour dosage rates will have to be altered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭straight

Bulk tank is grand, machine is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

so is hydrosan out for machine wash?

cosatron wrote: »
    so is hydrosan out for machine wash?

Hydrosan plus powder ????if so no but not really feasible if autobwasher

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Are u ch free for parlour wash ???good few seem to be ch free on just tank and a lot are still using ch products on both .i know in Arrabawn stores they’ve stopped buying ch products and when current stocks are gone that’s it .for anyone that hasn’t gone ch free yet I’d strongly encourage to switch now because it’s a minefield as regards products and tank and parlour dosage rates will have to be altered

Yes using avalkasan gold for machine. Funny thing is I still got a positive test for chlorine when using both. I recon residue from the dips/ sprays built up so I just descale more often and no problem but I can see down the line chlorine free pre and post dips coming in if you don't wipe........

Hydrosan plus powder ????if so no but not really feasible if autobwasher

yeah the powder. no autowash here, were old school:cool:

Yes using avalkasan gold for machine. Funny thing is I still got a positive test for chlorine when using both. I recon residue from the dips/ sprays built up so I just descale more often and no problem but I can see down the line chlorine free pre and post dips coming in if you don't wipe........

Are u on group scheme water if your very near the pump I’m told you’ll still show traces but allowances will be made

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

cosatron wrote: »
    yeah the powder. no autowash here, were old school:cool:

Hydrosan is chlorine free. I use nothing else in machine. Can use in bulk tank manually too obviously.

Its called something else now but its says priously hydrosan

Like prince that used do da songs

Are u on group scheme water if your very near the pump I’m told you’ll still show traces but allowances will be made

No well water and v tested yearly so b that's not the problem. I think it's the post dip I use. It stays on the teats and is active for up to 12 hours. Valiant Barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

Not that I know of but I know a case of intermittent thermoduric bacteria problems when non-chlorine detergent was used. It seemed to cease once a chlorine based product trial was carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭straight

I'm following the cows with parlour washings atvthe moment. Spreading fertiliser on the same field the following day. Do ye think that would be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    I'm following the cows with parlour washings atvthe moment. Spreading fertiliser on the same field the following day. Do ye think that would be ok?

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Anyone sell calves lately? Have Aax bulls and heifers to go at two weeks old, have a man interested but not sure what calves are making this time of year.

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Anyone sell calves lately? Have Aax bulls and heifers to go at two weeks old, have a man interested but not sure what calves are making this time of year.

120 and 150?

I see where Stan Lalor is leaving Grassland Agro and rejoining Teagasc as head of Knowledge Transfer. Big loss for Grassland Agro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hard to fathom given the last few weeks of weather that the herd is holding at 1.9kgs ms of 1kg of meal, without stripping the condition of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

mf240 wrote: »
    Divosan is supposed to be good for bulk tanks but its 4 euros a litre.

If you use plenty of hot water you'll have no bother but that's costly too.

It's just nitric acid, I can't understand how they're selling it as detergent, and it's absolutely useless, it wouldn't wash the cups after the tea.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Hard to fathom given the last few weeks of weather that the herd is holding at 1.9kgs ms of 1kg of meal, without stripping the condition of them

It'll be interesting to see what the results of BCS will be later in the year.

• Advertisement

Surely the 2606kg/ha of nitrogen is wrong cause according fertilizer association website it’s says to multiply kg/ha*0.8 to convert to units/acres that’s giving me figure over 2000 units . Colour me confused. Can someone shed some light on this

Advertisement