Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

straight wrote: »
    Make sure it's getting enough water. Could be algae or stuff clogging it up.

The answers here sound like the causes of Jaundice - prehepatic, hepatic and post hepatic. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone use the moo monitor type yokes on heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

Cows in today, sure that's grand by me. Thunder and hail stones here. Wind would cut you in half. Cows were out by day for about 6 hours and on 5kg nuts. They were doing 27.8 litres @ 3.4 pr, 4.67 fat. Lactose 4.76. Weather looking better next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Cows back in full time here yesterday too, but it looks like they might be out again in a few days though. Time to open the good bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Mooooo wrote: »

Is it the calving sensor or the bulling one?
    Calving one is a gift here but you need a vasectomi(s?)ed bull for the heat detection system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

I assume you mean heat detection collars. If so yes. We carry the heifers on the MP with the cows. Have the Sensehub system and very happy with it. Great job for timing sexed semen usage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jd_12345 wrote: »
    I assume you mean heat detection collars. If so yes. We carry the heifers on the MP with the cows. Have the Sensehub system and very happy with it. Great job for timing sexed semen usage!

Are you using sexed on cows? What sort of conception rate?

Yeah the collars type, not the one with the vasectomised bull. Heifers wouldn't be with the cows they'd be on their own. Have used vasectomised bulls before and synchronized as well other years just wondering would these systems be accurate at picking up heats if stock arent coming into a parlour/ yard etc. Wouldnt mind heifers coming in at a more natural pace than the synchronizing

Are you using sexed on cows? What sort of conception rate?

Circ 50-60% but then again they're the cows that would 80% of the time hold iykwim. Exceptional 3wk non return rate, and then the circ 50-60% 6wk non return rate. More 6wk repeats basically

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Circ 50-60% but then again they're the cows that would 80% of the time hold iykwim. Exceptional 3wk non return rate, and then the circ 50-60% 6wk non return rate. More 6wk repeats basically

Do you start earlier to counter that then?

• Advertisement

Do you start earlier to counter that then?

Yep. Didn't serve with anything other than sexed though for that week...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

some quality heifers at nenagh show/sale to day especially from the c****v**** herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

orm0nd wrote: »
    some quality heifers at nenagh show/sale to day especially from the c****v**** herd.

What kind of money were cows making

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

orm0nd wrote: »

Saucy prices alright ,looked great stock

Any of ye have bulls tested? Ye holding ones they don't want? Have two results back 267 and 229, I spose not much point in holding them. The lower ebi calf would be off a better confirmation cow, higher ebi calf off a cow with better solids but they'd both be over the 500kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Any of ye have bulls tested? Ye holding ones they don't want? Have two results back 267 and 229, I spose not much point in holding them. The lower ebi calf would be off a better confirmation cow, higher ebi calf off a cow with better solids but they'd both be over the 500kgs

Did they deviate much from the parental average put of interest?

alps wrote: »
    Did they deviate much from the parental average put of interest?

Lower one came back down 4, higher one came back up 30. Have 3 jex heifers calved one had a bull, parent average 239, have tempted to have him tested he'd be 3/4 fr 1/4 je

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Cubicle mats and sawdust working a treat here so far, saves some labour when cleaning out to...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Cubicle mats and sawdust working a treat here so far, saves some labour when cleaning out to...

They look fairly happy on it too. Do you have to sweep it out and put in fresh saw dust every week?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jaymla627 wrote: »
    I was buying calves from a dairy farmer a couple of years ago and remarked on their bedding was as I thought it was saw dust mixed with shavings. He lived near a feed mill and used to collect all the screening's for free during the harvest and store them in a shed to use under the calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    I was buying calves from a dairy farmer a couple of years ago and remarked on their bedding was as I thought it was saw dust mixed with shavings. He lived near a feed mill and used to collect all the screening's for free during the harvest and store them in a shed to use under the calves.

Was that farm in Kilkenny?

I kept 2 fr bulls a few years ago, registered them and sold them for 1k a piece at 14 months. Didn't bother since as I don't really like the dealing with some people. Guys ringing u up in a panic that they need a bull because there own is injured and he had another fella before that but he got injured too. Where would u be going with a lad like that. I'm waiting on results this year and he's a nice calf so I might keep him. Would I be able to use him to mop up the heifers after AI or would there be a fear of inbreeding? I remember my father doing it before and he had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm keeping 1 of them. Others were tb tested during the week and will let them go in a month or 2 to dealer when glut is gone and price is a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I kept 2 fr bulls a few years ago, registered them and sold them for 1k a piece at 14 months. Didn't bother since as I don't really like the dealing with some people. Guys ringing u up in a panic that they need a bull because there own is injured and he had another fella before that but he got injured too. Where would u be going with a lad like that. I'm waiting on results this year and he's a nice calf so I might keep him. Would I be able to use him to mop up the heifers after AI or would there be a fear of inbreeding? I remember my father doing it before and he had no problems.

Do the sire inbreeding thing on icbf

My picks for the upcoming season. Trying to do a bit more daughter proven. Fr4728, Fr4513, Fr4545, Fr2236, ZSR, Fr4187-s, Fr5971-s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They look fairly happy on it too. Do you have to sweep it out and put in fresh saw dust every week?

Yeah every week, put a fresh dusting in every evening, it's got lime mixed into it aswell so will be interesting to see does it help with keeping disease pressure in the pens down later in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭green daries

My picks for the upcoming season. Trying to do a bit more daughter proven. Fr4728, Fr4513, Fr4545, Fr2236, ZSR, Fr4187-s, Fr5971-s.

Just wondering why wouldn't you just go with all daughter proven bulls for the same money or less than genomic bulls
    IMO cuts out the need for these teams pick a couple good proven bulls and away you go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Was that farm in Kilkenny?
    No but it was in Leinster. I've never seen such good bedding under calves especially dairy bull calves on any farm including our own. It was a credit to the farmer and his bull calves were in cracking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Why are lads putting jackets on calves, how do they react when let out later without them?

• Advertisement

Just wondering why wouldn't you just go with all daughter proven bulls for the same money or less than genomic bulls
    IMO cuts out the need for these teams pick a couple good proven bulls and away you go

Temptation I guess. I don't look at the price of straws. The latest change in EBI seems to have firmed up the figures a bit. 4728 & 4513 were there last year and their figures held up well. Not daughter proven but bit proven at the same time.

Advertisement