Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Effydral tablets are great. Electrolytes 3 or 4 times a day is alot. They still need milk

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

whelan2 wrote: »
    Effydral tablets are great. Electrolytes 3 or 4 times a day is alot. They still need milk

Sorry meant to say they get milk as well,only the really dehydrated ones get it 3 or 4 times, can effydral still be got, haven't seen them in a long time

Sorry meant to say they get milk as well,only the really dehydrated ones get it 3 or 4 times, can effydral still be got, haven't seen them in a long time

Got them on glanbia connect last week. Natural yoghurt is good to repair the lining of the gut too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Any advice or tips for crypto, calves are getting halocur, electrolytes 3-4 times a days and 5ml of aquaprim for the worst ones, I've asked a few places about parafor and was told it can't be got, any help would be great

Where are you based, got parafour of Rigney betinary in kilcormack Offaly last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Any advice or tips for crypto, calves are getting halocur, electrolytes 3-4 times a days and 5ml of aquaprim for the worst ones, I've asked a few places about parafor and was told it can't be got, any help would be great

If you can't get parafor try and calve outdoors and have the calf pens immaculate. Feed any new calves first and sick calves last. Their either picking it up in the Calving shed or calf house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Do whatever the hell you need to do to get parafor, its the only job in my view. Thankfully I haven't needed to use any this year and very little last year, cleaning out the drycow sheds alot more frequently (every 2 or 3 days instead of building up a foot or more of straw) seems to be what did the trick.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Where are you based, got parafour of Rigney betinary in kilcormack Offaly last year

Kilkenny, was told a special license was needed to get it now, and basically they couldn't get it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

Look I'm not starting a row just pointing out that lads just throw the packaging away and dont read it and then complain of rotavirus or whatever. At 9 euro a shot you'd be trying to use it so it works

Sure men never read instructions. That's only for the gods like.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    If you can't get parafor try and calve outdoors and have the calf pens immaculate. Feed any new calves first and sick calves last. Their either picking it up in the Calving shed or calf house

I'll be honest I think they got it off a lad that came to buy calves, calving box is cleaned out every 2 days, and calf pens twice a week, I suppose it doesn't matter where they got it at this stage now.

straight wrote: »
    Sure men never read instructions. That's only for the gods like.

Then go looking for them in the bin. I know what I'm at.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:
    Do whatever the hell you need to do to get parafor, its the only job in my view. Thankfully I haven't needed to use any this year and very little last year, cleaning out the drycow sheds alot more frequently (every 2 or 3 days instead of building up a foot or more of straw) seems to be what did the trick.

Is parafor the same as halocur?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Look I'm not starting a row just pointing out that lads just throw the packaging away and dont read it and then complain of rotavirus or whatever. At 9 euro a shot you'd be trying to use it so it works

€9?
    Best I can get it for is €11.66. Gougers.

visatorro wrote: »
    Is parafor the same as halocur?

No.
    Gabrovet is the only other option over Parfor. They took Parfor off the market here.

+1.
    I tried to deep clean and fumigate the calving and calf facilities a few years ago as per your recommendations. We’ve all the kit from the poultry houses. We even used thé superheated steam fumigator. No good. I think that it’s like Mortellaro, once you have it, you have it forever.

Once the weather drys up we’ll calve them outside. It’s very rare to have problems when calved outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you wash out the house, let it dry and then disinfect with cyclex it seems to work.
    Lime or some powdered disinfectant on the straw beds and clean off the boots/ gear before going into the calving and calf pens.
    Use feeders with flaps as well to keep them fcuking crows away from the pens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

+1.
    I tried to deep clean and fumigate the calving and calf facilities a few years ago as per your recommendations. We’ve all the kit from the poultry houses. We even used thé superheated steam fumigator. No good. I think that it’s like Mortellaro, once you have it, you have it forever.

Once the weather drys up we’ll calve them outside. It’s very rare to have problems when calved outside.

Touch wood I managed to get rid of it, spring calving system does mean the sheds are all empty for like 8months of the year so that probably helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

+1.

Do you think cows carry it? Wonder if you could blood test for it what the results would be..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Do you think cows carry it? Wonder if you could blood test for it what the results would be..

Cows are a source of all the scour pathogens.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

We don't get as much of it or as early as before (I'm afraid if what I'll find in terms morning now!) since we upped our hygiene and bedding routine in the calving and calf housing, using cycle, keeping the wellies clean etc.
    For most cases if caught in time, four days of sulfa powders cures it here. Being proactive in looking for the next victim is key, if they look sick, your late. Faecal examine the calves every 2nd day and look for the greeny discolouration and mucous and usually tell get over it withouto much of a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm tying up lumps of him rock salt in the calf pens now too.
    Not sure if it's recommended or not but the calves are giving them an odd lick now.
    My reasoning is that isn't salt added to electrolytes if a calf is scouring and they should only lick it if they want it.

I'm not long at it so if greysides or any one else that did it before has an opinion on it I'd love to hear it.

Only other opinion I have is you can't beat sunlight on pen or beast and solid divisions on pens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Not sure if it's recommended or not but the calves are giving them an odd lick now.
    My reasoning is that isn't salt added to electrolytes if a calf is scouring and they should only lick it if they want it.

I'm not long at it so if greysides or any one else that did it before has an opinion on it I'd love to hear it.

Only other opinion I have is you can't beat sunlight on pen or beast and solid divisions on pens.

Unfortunately the wind and rain come from the same direction as the sun around here!
    I put Antrim rock salt in the calf troughs last year, they licked it away and were healthy out. Not sure of any correlation. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭Grueller

Heifer here with chafing on the inside of the leg and the inside of the udder. It's quite sore and raw looking. She is calved a fortnight now and the udder is quite hard. What can I put on it? Udder mint or something to soften the udder? What would be good for the chafing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

An udder cream for the udder anyway, is the skin broken on the leg? would sudo cream help maybe or perhaps a cutn'heal type spray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I know that adding salt (NaCl) to electrolytes has something to do with osmosis and fluids passing through the stomach/gut lining.
    I think it's sorta the same as how fish that live in the sea get fresh water but the other way around, iykwim.
    Edit - I should have said less salinated water instead of fresh water.

Grueller wrote: »
    Heifer here with chafing on the inside of the leg and the inside of the udder. It's quite sore and raw looking. She is calved a fortnight now and the udder is quite hard. What can I put on it? Udder mint or something to soften the udder? What would be good for the chafing?
    Sudocrem for the chaffing and bathe the quarter with hand hot water. Did you check it for mastitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Base price wrote: »
    I know that adding salt (NaCl) to electrolytes has something to do with osmosis and fluids passing through the stomach/gut lining.
    I think it's sorta the same as how fish that live in the sea get fresh water but the other way around, iykwim.

Do fish need to drink?

alps wrote: »
    Do fish need to drink?
    They don't drink like we would but in order to keep alive their skin/bodies are acclimatised to filter out the salt by a type of osmosis - that's my simple understanding of the process. Youngest explained it to me a few years ago and how fish are different to marine mammals yet similar but he lost me after the first minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grueller wrote: »

Cheno unction was always a good cream for moisturizing the udder.

greysides wrote: »
    Maybe add crows/jackdaws/dickie birds/rats/mice feeding out of and contaminating meal feeders too?

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »

Where do they pick it up from?
    How do they carry it?

The weather does have a huge role to play.
    We only vaccinate the cows that calve from November to March. We never get it in the months we don’t vaccinate and always get it when we vaccinate..maybe the vaccine is the source! :).

Advertisement