Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah you know these dairy farmers base.....money is no object

Shur were swimming in it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Base price wrote: »
    Shine OAD is a good CMR but it's awfully expensive when you have to exponentially increase the powder rate to 750g per calf.

Increased feeding rate my choice ,I want my heifers to grow good frame ,when there young it’s the time to push them ,calves on a feeder could be on a kg or more of powder for a time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

straight wrote: »
    Working hard enough for it lad. Pure slavery at times actually.

Who are ya telling. I'm seeing it everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Shur were swimming in it .....

Sure thats what stanfit keeps telling me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭green daries

Reggie. wrote: »
    Sure thats what stanfit keeps telling me

Good man reggie your up for the craic today.
    Made me smile on a miserable day a good laugh a day is a tonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Glanbia have made things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Glanbia have made things interesting.

Definitely but in fairness its not the worst proposal either, and only going to be for 2/3 years until Belview gets going fully. We all knew there had to be something coming with the amount of extra milk being produced all at the one time and then little in winter. it should help flatten the supply curve and its not really stopping people expanding they can still calve cows during autumn with no restriction . For what Glanbia could
    have proposed I think this was the best and fairest possible outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Mf310 wrote: »
    Definitely but in fairness its not the worst proposal either, and only going to be for 2/3 years until Belview gets going fully. We all knew there had to be something coming with the amount of extra milk being produced all at the one time and then little in winter. it should help flatten the supply curve and its not really stopping people expanding they can still calve cows during autumn with no restriction . For what Glanbia could

I wrote a reply on this in the milk price thread, and as I said there I'll reserve judgment till I hear more, and although I agree something had to be done and it is relatively fair, it is penal enough on small existing suppliers like myself who were limited by land or whatever reason during the reference years. It doesn't prevent expansion, but does.it prevent profitable expansion.? Is the 4 cent bonus over the winter months enough to cover the additional costs.? Would you be confident it will only last 3 years??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Mf310 wrote: »

Not sure about this. If extra cows are calved in autumn, would they not still have a lot of milk in early summer and therefore break the limits anyway?
    Lads will have to shift a lot of cows to autumn if they expand any bit I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Not sure about this. If extra cows are calved in autumn, would they not still have a lot of milk in early summer and therefore break the limits anyway?
    Lads will have to shift a lot of cows to autumn if they expand any bit I would think.

Late spring/early summer calving would be the only way around it if cow numbers are increased on farm, plus whole milk going to calves instead of milk replacer would help keep supply down for the April-June months, 30% will be the minimum penalty could well be 70% plus, depending on weather our not other co-ops have extra capacity to process glanbias surplus, plus they literally have them by the balls so why would they pay the market rate our even half of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

When we were in winter milk the autumn calvers would be close enough to matching the spring calvers in solids in April may and June.
    This is temporary to deal with the delay in building processing capacity? If I was a glanbia supplier I'd be right pissed off. This along with releasing a product to directly compete with Kerrygold will do little for farmers margins at the end of the day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Interesting article from Graise on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1161444260573591/posts/3950305108354145/?d=n

Higher production from cows = less cows needed, combined with multi-species swards to reduce bag-N.

There’s more to the article than that, but that’s mostly what I’m taking from it

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Seem to be very orientated to dry ground and dry conditions, not a problem I have anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Interesting article from Graise on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1161444260573591/posts/3950305108354145/?d=n

Higher production from cows = less cows needed, combined with multi-species swards to reduce bag-N.

There’s more to the article than that, but that’s mostly what I’m taking from it

With those yields on a tonne of meal, I think they should focus on oad milking and play rugby in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Ton of palm kernel isn't equal to a ton of meal. And that's reflected in the production figures. Rubbish feed and rubbish environmentally as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

I saw that article. Pretty pathetic performance of 350kg from environment damaging pke. And to think that the kiwis are held up as some kind of superior example to the rest of us. More cows and less milk never made sense to me anyway.

This is how my bulls AI genomic results came back. Ebi = 331.

This is how my bulls AI genomic results came back. Ebi = 331.

Did they not buy him? Good figures there. Waiting on two more here

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

What are lads paying to service a 12 unit parlour with ACRs, Milk yield indicators and no dumpline? Got a whopper of a bill from serviceman in the last few days.
    €3000 bill- gave no breakdown but I reckon about €1000 of that was a call out to a scraper and replacing one of the indicators due to getting wet. So roughly 2k to service parlour

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did they not buy him? Good figures there. Waiting on two more here

Just got the results today so with them figures I'd expect an offer. We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

jd_12345 wrote: »
    What are lads paying to service a 12 unit parlour with ACRs, Milk yield indicators and no dumpline? Got a whopper of a bill from serviceman in the last few days.
    €3000 bill- gave no breakdown but I reckon about €1000 of that was a call out to a scraper and replacing one of the indicators due to getting wet. So roughly 2k to service parlour

You are allowed ask for a breakdown you know! Did it include new set of liners, tubing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Just got the results today so with them figures I'd expect an offer. We'll see what happens.

Whats his milk kgs?
    We had a guy come back at 358 last year, no one bought him
    He was -100 kgs milk but had serious solids
    .39 for Fat
    .20 for Protein

No JE in him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was it over a long period of time. Bill's here are always itemized and if something is going to be expensive he will pre warn me. Had to change milking machine motor and compressor motor within two days last year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

How saleable he is also depends on how much related stock is out there,he might have too many cousins

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    You are allowed ask for a breakdown you know! Did it include new set of liners, tubing etc?

Very fair point! We Hinted at it but didn’t really get much of a response if you know what I mean.
    For a fella that we’re dealing with for 20 years you’d expect a bit more realistic bill. Have a bit of a belief here that it’s never worth fighting with a fella over something like that. Especially the parlour man- it’s not often you’ll need him but when you do you need him on your side.
    Just wondering are we being totally shafted. If we are we’ll try someone else- if that’s what he’s going to charge then that’s fine but we won’t be getting him!

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Yes liners tubing and once over. Roughly 5/6 hours

Whats his milk kgs?
    We had a guy come back at 358 last year, no one bought him
    He was -100 kgs milk but had serious solids
    .39 for Fat
    .20 for Protein

No JE in him

+123kg milk.
    +22kg fat
    +17.1kg pr
    .29% fat
    .22% pr.

Personally I would never pick a bull that gives me less milk. To me the reason the percentages rise is because the volume is less. I don't look at the percentages in the catalogues. Similarly all these guys on about how many cent per litre they get paid but no mention of litres. Kgms is my main thing I want and I like plenty volume to bring the solids. But sure I could have it all wrong. Why don't the co ops just quote the price per kgms and forget about cents/litre.

I heard that before about the cousins.

Maybe it's too soon to go looking up tractors on Done deal.

Yes liners tubing and once over. Roughly 5/6 hours

You will find that people outside the farm gate charge about 80 euro per hour? Probably call out charges too? Change the rubber ware yourself in future I'd say. All that rubber and parlour parts are expensive. Our main dealer was poison dear so we switched to a different guy who isn'ta main dealer. Much fairer and still a good service.

+123kg milk.
    +22kg fat
    +17.1kg pr
    .29% fat
    .22% pr.

Personally I would never pick a bull that gives me less milk. To me the reason the percentages rise is because the volume is less. I don't look at the percentages in the catalogues. Similarly all these guys on about how many cent per litre they get paid but no mention of litres. Kgms is my main thing I want and I like plenty volume to bring the solids. But sure I could have it all wrong. Why don't the co ops just quote the price per kgms and forget about cents/litre.

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/G1-2021.pdf

Last years calves are in that catalogue. Tbh your bull’s figures isn’t that much better than any of them (no offence haha)
    €135 milk si is impressive and it’s a lovely balance but 90% of the high milk sub index young bulls out there are Albert or Pivotal so only the cream of the Sons of those bulls are being picked. You’d want near €400 ebi to be sure of it afaik.
    Best of luck though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

+123kg milk.
    +22kg fat
    +17.1kg pr
    .29% fat
    .22% pr.

Yes you're right, I wouldn't pick a bull with minus milk either

But I always look at the percentages, like you but in the opposite way I don't want my percentages to drop so I try pick bulls with highest percentages but have a plus in milk kgs or at least 100kgs
    We'd have as good as percentages as the best jex herds but more litres, seems to be working so far
    Get a good milk price with the litres to go with it

Advertisement