Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Pelezico wrote: »
    The dip started last year I reckon.

Could the dip in activity (not price) be down to poor supply

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

fliball123 wrote: »

I found that the quality of houses out there within our budget (<700k) was appaling. We basically were looking all over Dublin. Our criteria was:

- Decent size 4 beds
    - Decent garden
    - Walk in condition or nearly (very little work to put in)
    - Good BER rating (good insulation is important to us)
    - Good public schools around
    - Not more than 1 hr commute in public transport to work (city center)
    - Good area with little antisocial behavior

In the end we have settled for a new build in south dublin that ticks all the boxes. When we saw it we decided inmediately to purchase it, as the quality of the other homes was terrible (according to our criteria). Market may go down in a few months, but for sure we wouldn't find this house or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I found that the quality of houses out there within our budget (<700k) was appaling. We basically were looking all over Dublin. Our criteria was:

- Decent size 4 beds
    - Decent garden

In the end we have settled for a new build in south dublin that ticks all the boxes. When we saw it we decided inmediately to purchase it, as the quality of the other homes was terrible (according to our criteria). Market may go down in a few months, but for sure we wouldn't find this house or something similar

Jesus with that money its amazing you cant get what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why did something happen in the last 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

- Decent size 4 beds
    - Decent garden

We have similar criteria. Do you mind me asking where you bought?

• Advertisement

Leozord wrote: »
    she was paying a good price

there was a well know house in Rathmines composed by 42 girls (mostly Brazilians, with few french and Italian girls) where they were paying 250 for a bed in a 6 to 10-bed room.

I see the prices are getting better for rent in foreign groups. Not massively but it is improving alright.

And people wonder why landlords are hated in Ireland.

Thats a sum*ag in my opinion, but there was the guy renting out rooms in a factory a few weeks ago, how do they get away it?

Are these type of properties common or outliers i wonder.

Jesus with that money its amazing you cant get what you're looking for.

Sad. isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

is there a way to improve the BER rating of an apartment?

I tried to google about it but didn't find any good information... not much more than "install solar panels" etc

is there a way to improve the BER rating of an apartment?

I tried to google about it but didn't find any good information... not much more than "install solar panels" etc

Improve insulation of walls, change bulbs to energy efficient, install a combi boiler...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

- Decent size 4 beds
    - Decent garden

If anti-social behaviour was one of your important criteria, I would personally have stayed away from the new build estates. Up to now and going forward, there's a very high chance many will either be sold to or rented by the council. It doesn't really matter how expensive they are, the council buys or rents many of them.

I would also have checked if there were any green fields nearby as they will be most likely be used for a future build-to-rent development i.e. build to rent doesn't and has never meant renting to e.g. highly paid IT workers. That is/was the story put out to minimise local objections. It has and always will mean mainly either council housing or HAP tenants.

• Advertisement

is there a way to improve the BER rating of an apartment?........

Conceptually yes ....... triple glazing....... interior/exterior wall insulation........ attic insulation but none of them are feasible unless the entire building is being done I imagine.

Most apartment are toasty enough surely unless they've the dreaded storage heating.

Sad. isn't it?

Tbh i was always under the impression 450-500k could fill your list in any area of the country.

If anti-social behaviour was one of your important criteria, I would personally have stayed away from the new build estates. Up to now and going forward, there's a very high chance many will either be sold to or rented by the council. It doesn't really matter how expensive they are, the council buys or rents many of them.

I would also have checked if there were any green fields nearby as they will be most likely be used for a future build-to-rent development i.e. build to rent doesn't and has never meant renting to e.g. highly paid IT workers. That is/was the story put out to minimise local objections. It has and always will mean mainly either council housing or HAP tenants.

It's a small new development. We hadn't seen anything else that we liked and we were looking to move soon. I live now near a block of social housing and so far we have had minimal issues, quite the opposite, so I'm not extremely concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

she was paying a good price

there was a well know house in Rathmines composed by 42 girls (mostly Brazilians, with few french and Italian girls) where they were paying 250 for a bed in a 6 to 10-bed room.

I see the prices are getting better for rent in foreign groups. Not massively but it is improving alright.

More often than not the landlord is oblivious and it's their fellow countrymen lashing in the bunk beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Tbh i was always under the impression 450-500k could fill your list in any area of the country.

You must be joking. Double that wouldn't be enough in a large swathe of south-east Dublin. Take Mount Merrion for example. What house, in walk-in condition, with good gardens and a good BER rating could be got for less than €900,000?

You must be joking. Double that wouldn't be enough in a large swathe of south-east Dublin. Take Mount Merrion for example. What house, in walk-in condition, with good gardens and a good BER rating could be got for less than €900,000?

Now, as a Spanish man myself, and having lived in apartments my whole life, we may have a different view of what constitutes a good garden. For me 80-90sqm and south-west or south-east is enough

enricoh wrote: »
    More often than not the landlord is oblivious and it's their fellow countrymen lashing in the bunk beds.

"More often" i'm not so sure about that, my Ex's place the landlrd was an Irish lady and collected the money (in cash) each week.

I know the really sought after areas but probably underestimated how expensive places are out that way.

Thought having access to 700k would remove all those barriers apart from places where a celebrity lives next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Augeo wrote: »
    Conceptually yes ....... triple glazing....... interior/exterior wall insulation........ attic insulation but none of them are feasible unless the entire building is being done I imagine.

Most apartment are toasty enough surely unless they've the dreaded storage heating.

The break even point for the extra costs of a passive house are around 30 years.

It's a small new development. We hadn't seen anything else that we liked and we were looking to move soon. I live now near a block of social housing and so far we have had minimal issues, quite the opposite, so I'm not extremely concerned about it.

You're probably fine then. But keep an eye out for planning submissions near your estate. You don't want to be caught out like the billionaires on Ailesbury Road.

"Dermot Desmond’s ‘Ballymun Towers South Dublin’ tag for plan on ex-RTÉ land branded ‘incredible’".

Link here: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dermot-desmonds-ballymun-towers-south-dublin-tag-for-plan-on-ex-rte-land-branded-incredible-39510797.html

• Advertisement

"Dermot Desmond’s ‘Ballymun Towers South Dublin’ tag for plan on ex-RTÉ land branded ‘incredible’".

I love the Irony of this guy branding anyone, his wiki page reads like a Mafioso boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Trying to sell cottage in the west of Ireland - plenty of enquiries to the estate agent but no real buyers out there

Most of those who contact the estate agent want a viewing (just to gawk around the place) but have no interest in buying

A lot of time wasters out there

Maybe at the moment. But many of the people living in those type of areas will have passed away in the next ten years. There will be very few people in ten years time able to pay that type of money and given the excess supply of those type of houses that will exist at that stage, the prices of those types of homes should fall significantly.

If someone plans to live there forever, that's not a problem, but if someone was buying a home there in the expectation of a significant capital gain in a few years, I would predict they will end up being seriously disappointed.

I love the Irony of this guy branding anyone, his wiki page reads like a Mafioso boss.

I love it too :) But the truth is that a three-bed in a so-called 'good area' doesn't cost any more to build than a three-bed in Ballymun. The price difference being paid is to be away from such areas. Otherwise, what's the point in paying double or treble the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

The fall in prices started last year. Activity has collapsed too.

It is great to have you on board to dissuade us from any hint that prices have indeed fallen and will continue to fall.

I love it too :) But the truth is that a three-bed in a so-called 'good area' doesn't cost any more to build than a three-bed in Ballymun. The price difference being paid is to be away from such areas. Otherwise, what's the point in paying double or treble the price?

lol, kind of reminds me of the time George Lucas's neighbours annoyed him and he went to put 224 affordable houses in their backyard :D

Thats land value is it that makes that difference in cost? I wonder how much extra the fittings/fixtures would be when comparing a 3 bed in Ballymun with a'good area'.

beauf wrote: »
    Why did something happen in the last 6 months?

Supply is really being drained away from the market for some reason

Pelezico wrote: »
    The fall in prices started last year. Activity has collapsed too.

It is great to have you on board to dissuade us from any hint that prices have indeed fallen and will continue to fall.

Not according to the CSO and the price property register price has not yet dropped, activity has alright. I am on record here saying that I think prices will drop in the future I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone else just stating the facts as they are

lol, kind of reminds me of the time George Lucas's neighbours annoyed him and he went to put 224 affordable houses in their backyard :D

Thats land value is it that makes that difference in cost? I wonder how much extra the fittings/fixtures would be when comparing a 3 bed in Ballymun with a'good area'.

:) good story. But fixtures and fittings don't cost anything really. They buy them wholesale. They put a €200 flat screen tv etc. in the sitting room and people pay an extra €10k for the house. It amazes me sometimes.

It's like those solar panels on the new a-rated homes. They probably add €20k to the price of the house but only cost the developer a couple of hundred euro to buy and install.

• Advertisement

Supply is really being drained away from the market for some reason

Here's the answer to your question.

"State bodies playing role in squeezing Dublin housing market"

"Groups other than households bought almost half new homes in capital in last year"

Irish Times article: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/state-bodies-playing-role-in-squeezing-dublin-housing-market-1.4356642

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement