Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

Ignacius wrote: »
    I reckon they mean the millionaire/ billionaire class.

Of course it is a dystopian communist nightmare to expect decent services from the taxes you pay.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/who-are-ireland-s-17-billionaires-1.4145400%3fmode=amp

Taxiing billionaires won't plug the sink holes in the HSE etc.
    SF are using the housing problem to appeal to more then the something for nothing brigade but when/if in government they'll do much like they've done in NI, sweet fnck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

A lot of our tax is being consumed by the public sector and their fabulous gilt edge pensions.

They are milking the cow dry.fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Pelezico wrote: »
    A lot of our tax is being consumed by the public sector and their fabulous gilt edge pensions.

They sure are and teachers now looking to strike as they think their workplace is unsafe but have no bother using public transport, hospitals or supermarkets as apparently its only the schools thats are unsafe

fliball123 wrote: »
    They sure are and teachers now looking to strike ...........

And of course they are looking to use the covid19 issue as a medium for "resolving" other things that are irking them.......... "The ASTI said the ballot would also cover the difficulties faced by returning teachers who were “being forced to work precarious contacts” and those enduring unequal pay"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/asti-to-ballot-for-industrial-action-over-covid-19-safety-concerns-1.4359606

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

I'm not SF, not really any party to be honest, and am 31 but I've seen no link from the SF we see (Mary Lou, O'Broin, Pearse Doherty (I think is his name)) to these troubles. I just hear the same comments from my parents about them but I see my parents as being irrational with these views.

There's an elected Sinn Féin TD who sits in the Dáil who has convictions for bomb making. He served 10 years in Portlaoise.

He was convicted of possession of power timers suspected to have been used in the Hyde Park, and Regency Park bombs in the 1980s. There was an outdoor play of Oliver on when one of the bombs went off. There were deaths (soldiers at a ceremony) and there were children and members of the public about.

His fingerprints were discovered on a huge store of weapons hidden in Berkshire.

Nobody has been convicted of the two park bombings. A Donegal man, as recently as 2014, was up for trial on it, but was acquitted after he received a letter from the psni in 2007 saying he wouldn't be prosecuted for it.

None of the above names you list are this TD. But these people are associating a) another TD who has terrorism convictions b) know what went on and the inner workings c) others who aren't politicians but were involved.

Whatever about modern ideology achieved peacefully through the Good Friday Agreement, or support for something 100 years ago. But nobody, nobody, should be shaking hands, calling on doors and be sitting in the Dáil, for being involved in modern terrorism, using romanticism and politics of time past as an excuse to kill someone who is across the sea.

A dressed up housing policy, that only nets 4000 homes for the squeezed middle shouldn't gloss over that imo.

To think people were (rightfully) annoyed that Barry Cowen got a fine for drink driving in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Get Real wrote: »
    There's an elected Sinn Féin TD who sits in the Dáil who has convictions for bomb making. He served 10 years in Portlaoise.

He was convicted of possession of power timers suspected to have been used in the Hyde Park, and Regency Park bombs in the 1980s. There was an outdoor play of Oliver on when one of the bombs went off. There were deaths (soldiers at a ceremony) and there were children and members of the public about.

His fingerprints were discovered on a huge store of weapons hidden in Berkshire.

Nobody has been convicted of the two park bombings. A Donegal man, as recently as 2014, was up for trial on it, but was acquitted after he received a letter from the psni in 2007 saying he wouldn't be prosecuted for it.

None of the above names you list are this TD. But these people are associating a) another TD who has terrorism convictions b) know what went on and the inner workings c) others who aren't politicians but were involved.

Whatever about modern ideology achieved peacefully through the Good Friday Agreement, or support for something 100 years ago. But nobody, nobody, should be shaking hands, calling on doors and be sitting in the Dáil, for being involved in modern terrorism, using romanticism and politics of time past as an excuse to kill someone who is across the sea.

A dressed up housing policy, that only nets 4000 homes for the squeezed middle shouldn't gloss over that imo.

To think people were (rightfully) annoyed that Barry Cowen got a fine for drink driving in comparison.

While I and a lot of my generation will not be voting for SF it will be the younger people locked out of the property market by successive Governments who will vote for them in their droves
    Promises that MAY come to pass are more appealing than promises that NEVER come to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ignacius

Get Real wrote: »

Are the Sinn Fein party involved in terrorism? If not do they offer a viable alternative to the status quo of FFG who have been In power since the creation of the State?

I think most people feeling they are getting screwed over quite badly in this country will want to get the two cheerleaders of the vulture funds out of power given the chance. Sinn Fein didn’t realise how much the people wanted them out or they would have run more candidates.

The Troubles were awful but thankfully I don’t think it’s something that concerns us when we are looking for better access to housing, healthcare, education, water, Etc as stated above.

There is no election any time soon so you should save all your best Pat Kenny provo mud slinging until then.

Poor Barry Cowen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Ignacius wrote: »
    Are the Sinn Fein party involved in terrorism? If not do they offer a viable alternative to the status quo of FFG who have been In power since the creation of the State?

I think most people feeling they are getting screwed over quite badly in this country will want to get the two cheerleaders of the vulture funds out of power given the chance. Sinn Fein didn’t realise how much the people wanted them out or they would have run more candidates.

The Troubles were awful but thankfully I don’t think it’s something that concerns us when we are looking for better access to housing, healthcare, education, water, Etc as stated above.

There is no election any time soon so you should save all your best Pat Kenny provo mud slinging until then.

Poor Barry Cowen!

And FFG know this and if they are not running scared they should be

fliball123 wrote: »
    They sure are and teachers now looking to strike as they think their workplace is unsafe but have no bother using public transport, hospitals or supermarkets as apparently its only the schools thats are unsafe

Teachers are milking it. Do you remember during the tiger years, teachers said they were responsible for the brilliant education of the Irish workforce, unparalleled anywhere in the world.

They earn more than their counterparts in UK or USA.

Public sector in Ireland is bloated from feeding at the trough.

No wonder on costs for new builds are so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I was talking to a friend of mine at the weekend who works in the public service. He works in an admin/office role. Handy position especially when WFH. He finally came out and said the public service have it good because they are 'untouchable' during the covid crisis. It was the first time I ever heard a public servant admit that :)
    I worked in the public service for 7 years and I do wish now that I had never left!

• Advertisement

I was talking to a friend of mine at the weekend who works in the public service. He works in an admin/office role. Handy position especially when WFH. He finally came out and said the public service have it good because they are 'untouchable' during the covid crisis. It was the first time I ever heard a public servant admit that :)
    I worked in the public service for 7 years and I do wish now that I had never left!

The covid crisis suited them because they still got their money while a lot of others suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

"The European Banking Authority (EBA) has confirmed that mortgage and loan payment breaks, offered to borrowers earlier this year, will be phased out from the end of this month as planned."

"Instead, banks have said they will engage with customers on a case by case basis to figure out how they can best meet their commitments into the future."

"Data from the Central Bank shows that by September 4, active payment breaks accounted for 8.6% of the loan book of the financial system, made up of 6.1% of all mortgages, 4.2% of consumer loans and 14.5% of SME and corporate loans."

Are we back where we started?

Link to article on RTE here: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0922/1166748-european-banking-authority-payment-breaks/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I wonder which generations saddled us with that 200 billion debt

The baby boomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

In fairness to the teachers we're Europes guinea pig having some of the largest class sizes in the OECD

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30949914.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Teachers are milking it. Do you remember during the tiger years, teachers said they were responsible for the brilliant education of the Irish workforce, unparalleled anywhere in the world.

They earn more than their counterparts in UK or USA.

Public sector in Ireland is bloated from feeding at the trough.

Teachers may earn more than their UK/US counterparts (may, I'm sure not all of them do)- however, the cost of living here is significantly higher than in the US- and in the UK- you get additional supplements for working in London or other expensive cities.

The public sector in Ireland is in the lowest quartile per 100,000 of population in the OECD. In an international context, our public sector is extremely spartan- and keep in mind, over 3/4 of our public sector are in the HSE- everyone else- the teachers, the guards, the civil servants, the prison officers, the armed forces and our park rangers etc etc- come to less than 1/4 of our public sector.

The costs for new builds- if you're talking about housing- or public projects- are firmly at the door of the developers- and hardly the fault of the public sector.

Personally I am amazed that the public in general aren't up in arms over the cost of living in Ireland- Ireland is a spectacularly expensive country, mindbogglingly so. Until such time as we get the cost of living in Ireland under control- we're going to end up in this perpetual sniping about the public sector and whatever other bogeymen we can blame for the ills of society (such as landlords).

We need to get our cost of living here under control- its staggering that this has not entered the public arena as a hot ticket item.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You constantly get this 'but the cost of living in Ireland is high'

It's f'n high because the PS costs so bl00dy much and taxes on individuals are massive due to the low corporation tax. When VAT is 23%, the cost of living is going to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

"The European Banking Authority (EBA) has confirmed that mortgage and loan payment breaks, offered to borrowers earlier this year, will be phased out from the end of this month as planned."

"Instead, banks have said they will engage with customers on a case by case basis to figure out how they can best meet their commitments into the future."

"Data from the Central Bank shows that by September 4, active payment breaks accounted for 8.6% of the loan book of the financial system, made up of 6.1% of all mortgages, 4.2% of consumer loans and 14.5% of SME and corporate loans."

Are we back where we started?

Link to article on RTE here: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0922/1166748-european-banking-authority-payment-breaks/

it doesnt look good considering a lot of work seems to have been done voer the last few years to reduce the numbers. Hopefully, the banks will use past experience to expedite restructuring where possible. As for repossessions....

Teachers may earn more than their UK/US counterparts (may, I'm sure not all of them do)- however, the cost of living here is significantly higher than in the US- and in the UK- you get additional supplements for working in London or other expensive cities.

The public sector in Ireland is in the lowest quartile per 100,000 of population in the OECD. In an international context, our public sector is extremely spartan- and keep in mind, over 3/4 of our public sector are in the HSE- everyone else- the teachers, the guards, the civil servants, the prison officers, the armed forces and our park rangers etc etc- come to less than 1/4 of our public sector.

The costs for new builds- if you're talking about housing- or public projects- are firmly at the door of the developers- and hardly the fault of the public sector.

Personally I am amazed that the public in general aren't up in arms over the cost of living in Ireland- Ireland is a spectacularly expensive country, mindbogglingly so. Until such time as we get the cost of living in Ireland under control- we're going to end up in this perpetual sniping about the public sector and whatever other bogeymen we can blame for the ills of society (such as landlords).

We need to get our cost of living here under control- its staggering that this has not entered the public arena as a hot ticket item.

All I am saying is the PS are milking it and covid has exacerbated any advantage they have.

No wonder they all look like the cat that got the cream.

All I am saying is the PS are milking it and covid has exacerbated any advantage they have.

No wonder they all look like the cat that got the cream.

Basically all true. It amazes me when a private sector worker supports the public sector salaries and pensions when they shafted their own fellow colleagues back in 2011.

If they're willing to do over their own fellow colleagues, they would have no issues at all taking the private sector worker for all their worth. Back in 2011, they could have easily split the difference but they still decided to do over the newer public sector workers for a few extra euro.

Why the existing public sector workers agreed to that at that time is absolutely beyond me and painted them all in a new light to me at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Basically it's everyone's else's fault.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-11/the-housing-crisis-extends-far-beyond-superstar-cities
    ...housing has been financialized and turned into an investment vehicle, which has caused an oversupply of luxury housing and a lack of affordable housing in many cities across the world. The global housing crisis is defined by a chronic shortage of housing for the least advantaged, and in many cases, for the working and middle classes as well...

Maybe they should privatisatise and out source it all.

...Oh wait they did ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

Since yesterday, I've got more ad alerts from daft where the houses got a price reduction. It is very uncommon for that to happen.

What EAs do usually is just re-enter the ad to now show that the price was reduced. Now it is explicit.

It seems that finally the so-called housing discount has started.

Leozord wrote: »
    Since yesterday, I've got more ad alerts from daft where the houses got a price reduction. It is very uncommon for that to happen.

What EAs do usually is just re-enter the ad to now show that the price was reduced. Now it is explicit.

It seems that finally the so-called housing discount has started.

Given that the Taoiseach said recently that even if there was a vaccine come March (highly doubtful in my opinion), the Covid restrictions would be place for all of 2021 regardless, that means the international students aren't coming back next year either.

Maybe all those ex-student rentals should start hitting the market earlier rather than later as if the current government is intent on solving the housing supply issue (if that's even real) over the next two years, there may be no demand for them anyway when (if) they do return in any significant numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I hope all the landlords renting 10-12 people to a house will be ok if the foreign students arent back,

My Ex-GF was Brazillian and studied English here, 12 in the house, 300/month for a bed in a room (each room had 3 people) , 3 months deposit and if you dont get a tenant to replace yourself you dont get your deposit back. The guillotine was invented for this very reason lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'd imagine the highlighted is key. Most OECD countries would have a significantly larger and better paid military than us. I'd love to see stats on non frontline workers in the public service, how many do we have vs other countries and how much does it cost?

beauf wrote: »

The dip started last year I reckon.

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'd imagine the highlighted is key. Most OECD countries would have a significantly larger and better paid military than us. I'd love to see stats on non frontline workers in the public service, how many do we have vs other countries and how much does it cost?

You realise to create those stats it creates work for non frontline staff. So you'll be keeping them in a job.

This relates to housing how exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

brisan wrote: »
    While I and a lot of my generation will not be voting for SF it will be the younger people locked out of the property market by successive Governments who will vote for them in their droves
    Promises that MAY come to pass are more appealing than promises that NEVER come to pass

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

cnocbui wrote: »
    You constantly get this 'but the cost of living in Ireland is high'

It's f'n high because the PS costs so bl00dy much and taxes on individuals are massive due to the low corporation tax. When VAT is 23%, the cost of living is going to be high.

Let’s not even mention my pet hate VRT! Well that and overpriced land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

I hope all the landlords renting 10-12 people to a house will be ok if the foreign students arent back,

My Ex-GF was Brazillian and studied English here, 12 in the house, 300/month for a bed in a room (each room had 3 people) , 3 months deposit and if you dont get a tenant to replace yourself you dont get your deposit back. The guillotine was invented for this very reason lol.

she was paying a good price

there was a well know house in Rathmines composed by 42 girls (mostly Brazilians, with few french and Italian girls) where they were paying 250 for a bed in a 6 to 10-bed room.

I see the prices are getting better for rent in foreign groups. Not massively but it is improving alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement