Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

gmisk wrote: »
    It's also insane in recent polls Donald Trump junior is one of the front runners for the Republican candidacy in 2024....only behind Nikki Haley by a tiny amount

Surely (and there is a big dangerous assumption here) the Republican party will take a good long hard look at themselves if they get wiped out next week. Trump will be seen as a complete disaster. Surely they would not plump for his son is an even bigger idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Surely (and there is a big dangerous assumption here) the Republican party will take a good long hard look at themselves if they get wiped out next week. Trump will be seen as a complete disaster. Surely they would not plump for his son is an even bigger idiot.

It'll be down to if they lose the senate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

"Old rich golf playing white guy supports Trump"

In other news the Pope is Catholic.

Also trump's been helping out jacks projects.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/03/11/trump-jack-nicklaus-1259949

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Weird segue to bring Nicklaus into the conversation, a sports personality whose relevance was long past IMO years ago - in a sport already synonymous with a more conservative (if not plain regressive) outlook in the first place. It's up there with polo as a quintessentially upper class (or upwardly mobile) past time. Would be more shocking if - say - a prominent member of the women's national soccer team supported him publicly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

pixelburp wrote: »
    Weird segue to bring Nicklaus into the conversation, a sports personality whose relevance was long past IMO years ago - in a sport already synonymous with a more conservative (if not plain regressive) outlook in the first place. It's up there with polo as a quintessentially upper class (or upwardly mobile) past time. Would be more shocking if - say - a prominent member of the women's national soccer team supported him publicly

He also lives in Florida and all that comes with that and its elderly population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He also lives in Florida and all that comes with that and its elderly population.

The problem for Trump is he has random rich men saying everything is going great while the elderly population are talking to their doctors, who they have trusted for years, and the doctors are telling them that everything is very much not going great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Pennsylvania's mail-in voting system seems to be in disarray with voters reporting they didn't get their requested ballot papers, the state saying the papers were sent out via USPS and USPS saying they have no record of the ballot papers being received by it for delivery to the voters. In Minnesota, the state has laid out a barriered-off section at Trump's latest rally location with seating arranged in social-distancing setting as per it's Covid-19 fight regulations with people waiting for the campaign's response to the state's act. That makes for two states indicating they have the residents interests in mind above other things. An image shown on TV has no tiered seating arrangement behind the podium set up for addressing the rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Biden has to cancel event in Texas after being surrounded by crazed Trump supporters with guns.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-camp-cancels-austin-texas-event-after-pro-trump-ambush-on-campaign-bus

America is no longer, Land of the Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Obama and Biden in Detroit - both men are incredibly gifted with their speaking abilities.

A very strong tandem.

This is a high point in the campaign.

Biden will be next POTUS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Obama is probably the best speaker I've ever heard. The turns and changes in tone and touch, from light to serious. Really jealous of his skill.

• Advertisement

The local GOP party in Harris County, Texas, has gone to the Federal Appeal Court in a bid to stop the drive-in voting that is being operated by the state for its citizens and to have the estimated 100,000 votes cast by the drive-in voters to date declared invalid. Texas's State Supreme Court has already ruled that the drive-in voting is legal and within the law in Texas.

If the Federal Appeal court takes the case, it will fall outside the expression of the USSC voiced earlier this week in the case of Pennsylvania that federal courts should not step-in in cases when it come to the individual states constitutions and the voting law contained there-in. That expression from the USSC was directly related to the voting law of the individual state, Pennsylvania, but was referencing federal courts stepping into all the individual states in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭letowski

The Trump campaign is abandoning his loyal supporters in the freezing cold again.

https://twitter.com/DJJudd/status/1322688676170735616

Thankfully there are ambulances in the area, to assist anybody who needs to be treated for hypothermia.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sad indictment on the Trump camp that ambulances knew to be on standby after what happened in Nebraska - and then for it to indeed happen again wow

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

aloyisious wrote: »
    The local GOP party in Harris County, Texas, has gone to the Federal Appeal Court in a bid to stop the drive-in voting that is being operated by the state for its citizens and to have the estimated 100,000 votes cast by the drive-in voters to date declared invalid. Texas's State Supreme Court has already ruled that the drive-in voting is legal and within the law in Texas.

If the Federal Appeal court takes the case, it will fall outside the expression of the USSC voiced earlier this week in the case of Pennsylvania that federal courts should not step-in in cases when it come to the individual states constitutions and the voting law contained there-in. That expression from the USSC was directly related to the voting law of the individual state, Pennsylvania, but was referencing federal courts stepping into all the individual states in the U.S.

I suspect either way the judge will side with his party and knock it up to SCOTUS.

At that time the justices will have the political calculus to know if it would swing the election, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Water John wrote: »
    Obama is probably the best speaker I've ever heard. The turns and changes in tone and touch, from light to serious. Really jealous of his skill.

Sorry, I gotta do it. For the 109th time.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/895081686681124864

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sorolla wrote: »
    Obama and Biden in Detroit - both men are incredibly gifted with their speaking abilities.

A very strong tandem.

This is a high point in the campaign.

Biden will be next POTUS

Biden seems like a decent and kind man and I think he's the right person at the right time to win this election but it's a big stretch to say he's a gifted orator.

'The only time in recent times that Trump has talked with Dr. Fauci was when he was in Walter Reed Hospital with Covid, he rang Fauci about his own condition.'
    CNN.
    Absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Biden seems like a decent and kind man and I think he's the right person at the right time to win this election but it's a big stretch to say he's a gifted orator.

I agree and I wouldn’t say Biden is a gifted orator, but sadly many Republicans have claimed Trump is a gifted orator, despite the fact he sounds like a rambling idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bozacke wrote: »
    I agree and I wouldn’t say Biden is a gifted orator, but sadly many Republicans have claimed Trump is a gifted orator, despite the fact he sounds like a rambling idiot.

Republicans have said it, and Miller choose his words in the video above specifically because of who was in the office before Trump and what was said about him with respect to his communication skills.

Trump, Miller, Republicans wouldn't give a toss about speech capabilities but for the fact that Obama was so renowned for it.

One more example of their mindset being fueled more by the hatred of one rather than admiration for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Republicans have said it, and Miller choose his words in the video above specifically because of who was in the office before Trump and what was said about him with respect to his communication skills.

Trump, Miller, Republicans wouldn't give a toss about speech capabilities but for the fact that Obama was so renowned for it.

One more example of their mindset being fueled more by the hatred of one rather than admiration for another.

It's not just Obama even George W Bush bar his gaffes could give a speech. It should be up there in what a president has

• Advertisement

For contrast heard Melania reading off the telepromter this evening, quite painful.

Overheal wrote: »
    I suspect either way the judge will side with his party and knock it up to SCOTUS.

At that time the justices will have the political calculus to know if it would swing the election, too.

The expression that the federal lower courts should not step-in in cases about state laws and the election was from what were described as the conservative judges on the USSC, the ones seen as agreeing with Don Trump's point of view. AFAIK, the USSC decision was a 4/4 split resulting in the Pennsylvania court decision stand. If the conservatives hold true to their expressed point of view on the lower federal courts not stepping-in, they'd have to stand by Texas's supreme court ruling that the drive-in voting is OK under the state's constitution election law and toss out the case put forward by the local GOP people there.

In a side issue to federal courts hearing cases, I don't know how far the USSC conservative judges can go with their "not stepping-in" policy as it might rebound on them as they themselves are sitting on a federal court bench hearing cases bounced up from other courts for rulings. It's not as if the lower federal courts stepped-in or interfered in the local jurisdiction in the first case as some-one in each case took an appeal [like the GOP in Texas has] to that lower court in the first case. Taking the conservative judges expression to its limit would mean the lower court would have been obliged to tell the Texan GOP people "sorry we can't even begin to hear your case as the USSC has tied our hands".

Edit. The federal court hearing the GOP members case tomorrow is not a Federal appeals court but a federal district court there, with Judge Andrew Hanen assigned to the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Plot to kidnap a governor, stopping the sale of guns in Walmart’s, armed Trump supporters attempt to run the Biden bus off the road.... I wonder what is going to happen on Election Day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Plot to kidnap a governor, stopping the sale of guns in Walmart’s, armed Trump supporters attempt to run the Biden bus off the road.... I wonder what is going to happen on Election Day ?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one shooting outside of a polling station.

Armed Trump supporters (poll watchers) try to stop someone from entering and tempers flare.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one shooting outside of a polling station.

Armed Trump supporters (poll watchers) try to stop someone from entering and tempers flare.

If that’s all America is getting off lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Bozacke wrote: »

Republicans have claimed a hell of a lot. That doesn't make any of it true. They are only able to tell utter lies, apparently. And the Dems are no shining lights either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Lev Parnas' son just published a tell-all about Dad and Rudy's dealings on behalf of the #IMPOTUS.
    Apparently John Solomon was a tag-along for a lot of the Rudy/Parnas/<insert dubious contact like Nicholas Maduro> meetings

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M6JNVX8/

Reports are saying Trump is going to declare victory on Tuesday very early and take to the podium. If he does that his supporters aren’t going to allow for him to be removed.

Reports are saying Trump is going to declare victory on Tuesday very early and take to the podium. If he does that his supporters aren’t going to allow for him to be removed.

The thing is if he tries something like that, his supporters don't get to decided he's the victor.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The thing is if he tries something like that, his supporters don't get to decided he's the victor.....:rolleyes:

The danger is a certain subset of his supporters don't realise that or don't care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement