Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

His quotes on the NY times article just sum him up for me! Spoofer.
    Trump wrote:
    No. No. It’s fake news. It’s totally fake news. Made up. Fake.

When asked could he say how much tax he did pay:
    Trump wrote:
    I didn’t call on you. I’m talking to him. You should be more respectful of this gentleman. You’re very rude to him.

But I will tell you that I look forward to releasing that. I look forward to releasing many things. I’m going to release many things, and people will be really shocked.

He's going to release many things. Yawn...

He must be the most obvious spoofer in politics today.

Quotes from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-press-briefing-september-27-2020/ (No MSM involved, brought to you straight from the horses mouth)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    His quotes on the NY times article just sum him up for me! Spoofer.

When asked could he say how much tax he did pay:

He's going to release many things. Yawn...

He must be the most obvious spoofer in politics today.

Quotes from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-press-briefing-september-27-2020/ (No MSM involved, brought to you straight from the horses mouth)

Given how fond he is of sueing people people, you would think if it is "fake" news there would be a defamation case out in seconds or some sort of retraction request?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Given how fond he is of sueing people people, you would think if it is "fake" news there would be a defamation case out in seconds or some sort of retraction request?

Yes you would have to imagine the NY times are not taking any chances here. But I'm no expert on this kind of thing!

I don't particularly care about what I read in the article, it's his response to everything is frustrating. Lying and spoofing and crying fake this and phoney that. Pointing at others. The hypocrisy of it all. Maybe I'm just not cut out for politics :)

I imagine his reply to the suggestion of a taking a case would be:

"Yes, a lot of people have been saying that. Many people. And we are looking at it strongly."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes and no - To sue would require him to produce his tax returns as part of the discovery process for the trial.

Which he's never going to do unless forced to by a court of law.

I've long been convinced that outside of "creative accounting" there's not a lot legally to see in Trumps returns other than to prove that he has all the business acumen of a bucket of sand.

His ONLY skill and to be fair he's done incredibly well from it , is his ability to spin fairy tales about his business acumen and to generate income and notoriety from those tall tales.

Now though , people have seen behind the curtain , the detail of the trick has been exposed.

Icarus springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1310587468731879431?s=20

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1310587471231582208?s=20

Doesn't deny anything that's in them. Just claims it's all fine. Which as we all know in Trumpspeak means they're all true, probably just the tip of the iceberg, and not nearly fine at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd say he's skimmed more than 400k per year off the presidency

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Penn wrote: »

Doesn't deny anything that's in them. Just claims it's all fine. Which as we all know in Trumpspeak means they're all true, probably just the tip of the iceberg, and not nearly fine at all.

Paid millions in tax but got tax credits like everyone else. That's alot of tax credits if he only paid $750

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely - We've moved from "Fake" and "Completely made up" to "Illegally obtained" in record time.

So - What the NYT got are his actual returns and that is what he paid in taxes.

What will be next spin be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Interesting use of the word may in the second tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say he's skimmed more than 400k per year off the presidency

The pay to play carry on in Mar-A-Lago and Trump Hotel DC are perhaps less obscene than the carry on with Turkey, Azerbaijan and the Philippines, where he was involved with a string of characters with ties to the ruling dictators in those countries.

The Business Insider article on the Turkey deal calls into question the decision to abandon the Kurds in the context of brown-nosing Erdogan. I don't think there's specific evidence suggesting that was the direct reason for it, but it's more born of how pointless and irresponsible it was and has no other clear explanation.

Whether or not it's true though, it shows that the potential for damage to the US and the office of the presidency as a result of a failure to uphold the emoluments clause of the constitution isn't some abstract idea or just about propriety.

Again, it's another single one of a hundred personal failures that should preclude Trump from getting within an ass's roar of any office of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Tomorrows debate should show the mettle of both candidates, hope I'll be able to resist throwing things at the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

aloyisious wrote: »
    Tomorrows debate should show the mettle of both candidates, hope I'll be able to resist throwing things at the telly.

Plexiglass is what you need. You stop throwing things when they bounce back.
    What time is it for us tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

kowloon wrote: »

2am Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

banie01 wrote: »
    CNN breaking reports that Brad Parscale has been taken to a medical facility by police.

Wife rang to report he was armed, and threatening suicide.
    Hope he is ok, but interesting timing and one would have to wonder what the trigger was?

Added link:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/27/politics/brad-parscale-hospitalized/index.html

This Channel4 story seems to be getting traction in US. Basically that Trump campaign worked with good old Cambridge Analytica to profile and dissuade people of the "wrong" colour (from Trumps point of view) from voting. C4 has the Trump’s campaign database.

Which is interesting, as Parscale denied that this ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

druss wrote: »
    This Channel4 story seems to be getting traction in US. Basically that Trump campaign worked with good old Cambridge Analytica to profile and dissuade people of the "wrong" colour (from Trumps point of view) from voting. C4 has the Trump’s campaign database.

I’d say this story is the least of Brad Parscales problems at this moment.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’d say this story is the least of Brad Parscales problems at this moment.

Indeed - Hopefully Parscale is getting the help he needs right now.

The C4 show does beg the question though - where did they get the files from?

Did a disgruntled and recently demoted senior member of the campaign staff pass it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Did a disgruntled and recently demoted senior member of the campaign staff pass it on?

Automatically suspected UK wing, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Could this been part of the Republican server hack in 2016 or was it only from Cambridge Analytica?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Parscale is currently hospitalised after a possible suicide attempt over the weekend - https://www.npr.org/2020/09/28/917697120/brad-parscale-senior-advisor-to-trump-campaign-is-hospitalized-after-call-to-pol

He has recently been demoted, following around $40mn of campaign money mysteriously finding its way into his (Parscales) private businesses. He also squandered more campaign money by spending $1mn in ads in DC (something like 92% Democrat) which were largely seen as only being bought to please one specific DC resident - Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

its not even October yet, and its hard to keep up with the revelations on Trump

keep em coming and he might be swapping the white house for the big house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

kingtiger wrote: »
    keep em coming and he might be swapping the white house for the big house

Fingers crossed, his orange jumpsuit will match his face.

kowloon wrote: »

Think the time is around midnight [one of the US time-zones] but CNN are replaying it at 8AM Wed Irish time. One of Biden's team retorted to Trump's comment about Biden and drugs, along the lines of the candidates taking a urine test, plus a follow-up line with the words "not pi**ing around" in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Think the time is around midnight [one of the US time-zones] but CNN are replaying it at 8AM Wed Irish time. One of Biden's team retorted to Trump's comment about Biden and drugs, along the lines of the candidates taking a urine test, plus a follow-up line with the words "not pi**ing around" in it.

I assume the whole thing will be on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Parscale is currently hospitalised after a possible suicide attempt over the weekend - https://www.npr.org/2020/09/28/917697120/brad-parscale-senior-advisor-to-trump-campaign-is-hospitalized-after-call-to-pol

He has recently been demoted, following around $40mn of campaign money mysteriously finding its way into his (Parscales) private businesses. He also squandered more campaign money by spending $1mn in ads in DC (something like 92% Democrat) which were largely seen as only being bought to please one specific DC resident - Donald Trump.

That helps explain even more the complete squandering of close to 1 billion dollars

https://www.axios.com/trump-campaign-money-spent-7c4f366e-71be-48bc-8b0b-7e1d6044ba51.html

banie01 wrote: »
    CNN breaking reports that Brad Parscale has been taken to a medical facility by police.

Wife rang to report he was armed, and threatening suicide.
    Hope he is ok, but interesting timing and one would have to wonder what the trigger was?

Added link:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/27/politics/brad-parscale-hospitalized/index.html

Fort Lauderdale Police have released two body-cam images of a cop tackling him and taking him to the road by the path outside his house. No tazing, just a rugby-type tackle. The images are under protection by the F/B page owner.

If I'm reading the change in the statements by Trump from one that the NYT story based on his IRS returns is fake and false to one that it's based on illegally obtained documents, then that's a de facto admission it's truthfully based on the contents of his actual tax returns and rebate claims he [or the accountants working for him] submitted to the IRS. If that second line from him is what he sticks with and one or more submission in his returns to the IRS is found to be fake, then he's liable to major charges in respect of those returns, even if it's only penalties and not penalties and criminal tax fraud [evasion] charges.

This comes so soon after Lindsey Graham went public looking for funding from GOP supporters for his own campaign leaves me wondering who is actually broke here in respect of campaign funds.

Spiro T Agnew resigned as V/P because he was facing tax evasion charges [edit] after doing a deal with the AG for no charges and prison time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

..Lindsey Graham went public looking for funding from GOP supporters for his own campaign...

Lindsey begged like a dog, similar to Trump with Xi Jinping.

Fantastic thread here from Forbes reporter Dan Alexander dedicated to Trump's finances, he confirms that trump is actually in debt to the tune of over $1.1bn.

https://twitter.com/DanAlexander21/status/1310342791336284160

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The debate will be on YouTube and starts at 2 a.m.. it's going to be a fascinating clash of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If I'm reading the change in the statements by Trump from one that the NYT story based on his IRS returns is fake and false to one that it's based on illegally obtained documents, then that's a de facto admission it's truthfully based on the contents of his actual tax returns and rebate claims he [or the accountants working for him] submitted to the IRS. If that second line from him is what he sticks with and one or more submission in his returns to the IRS is found to be fake, then he's liable to major charges in respect of those returns, even if it's only penalties and not penalties and criminal tax fraud [evasion] charges.

This comes so soon after Lindsey Graham went public looking for funding from GOP supporters for his own campaign leaves me wondering who is actually broke here in respect of campaign funds.

Spiro T Agnew resigned as V/P because he was facing tax evasion charges and was given a pardon by Nixon ref same.

Agnew wasn’t pardoned by Nixon. He struck a plea deal with the AG Elliot Richardson to resign on one charge of tax evasion in return for no further charges or prison time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Apparently, raccoons mixed it up with some members of the press yesterday near the WH. As Ireland doesn't have raccoons, as someone with experience of them from life in the US, they're not cute when you interact with them. They fight like mad, bite really hard, and in the US can carry rabies as well as other things. Actually helped a friend one night chase one out of his house after it had climbed down the chimney. At one point it holed up in a bookcase, we called the cops, the one that came by 1) wouldn't shoot it 2) wouldn't go near it, told us to open the doors and let it find its own way out. It did.

Nasty things. Nice tweet from George Conway about it though:

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1310591900076978177

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement