Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I did a Diploma in Change Management with NUIG (Oct 2020-May 2021). Found them to be organised and helpful; course was all online. The course had three modules with different lecturers for each and each had their own style of teaching--all completely different. For example, the first module we had classes and assignments due every 10 days or so and the lecturer expected a lot from us (hard for those of us who were entering third level for the first time in decades or ever); the second module consisted of 1.5 days online (it was recorded for those who couldn't attend the daytime classes) with a large assignment due a number of weeks later and lecturer was very easy-going/laidback style; the last module also consisted of two days online with two small assignments but the lecturer was organised and thorough and very specific. It was tough at times but I found it worth it. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

How long after you accept a course do the next steps take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Usually the college will reach out once it comes time for induction etc. You should hear at some stage starting this coming week but some courses don't start until mid October depending on the college

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

Anybody get a place on a DCU course ? I was sent an email asking me to register with DCU but the form requires a CAO/PAC/DCU Application Portal number but as a springboard applicant, you dont have any of these. Anybody else having this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I received a separate email (from "RegistryNoReply") before getting the email to register, with my DCU Student ID number. About a week later I got an email from "DCU Registry" to register for the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

Thanks @DeadSkin. I don't seem to have gotten the other email.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

I'd disagree with this statement, as a general rule I found the lecturers to be very good, some were in fact excellent.

But different techniques etc might not be to everyone liking, this would be similar in full time courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I am looking at moving to Canada in October for 2 years and I've already been approved and enrolled on a Springboards course. Can I still continue with this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe two answers

1. Theoretically yes as long as the Lecturers allow you be remote. I'm on a course right now and it's back to face to face, no recordings etc so If I miss a class I miss a class. Maybe yours is online and recorded, maybe it's not.
    2. The crux here will be often in Semester 2(when the college/uni) look to Springboard+ to pay them the next set of fees you're asked to prove again that you're eligible and depending on how they ask and how you answer you might not be acting in good faith or being honest. Last College year in AIT I had to resubmit and confirm my details/particulars hadn't changed sometime in January. I'm now in UL and the process was completely different.

For those who've taken a Springboard course, do the colleges usually provide the text books / e-books to the students OR did you have to buy/source them yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

generally the books aren't covered but the college will have a library that should mean you don't have a big expense there. NCI had a lot of stuff available as ebooks. For many of the topics you may find course texts free online also.

I think it depends on the course. I’ve done a BSc, MSc, SDip and working on another Msc all in different Universities/ITs and I’ve never bought a textbook. I’ve never had a university require the purchase of a book but I know courses like English and Law would be different. Some of the textbooks I “needed” were €200+ and people whinged when they ended up collecting dust after the first few weeks.

I have always found the internet to be the most valuable resource - YouTube, Elsevier etc etc, again, depending on the subject.

Most courses will provide some level of notes, others will have pdf textbooks or additional reading material. Finally, as the previous poster said - make use of the library, which should have a book - even if they don’t, ask the librarian and they will order a few copies if the course requires them.

it really depends on your knowledge of the topic and your learning style.

i do suggest going in as early as possible in the semester - sometimes people grab the books and hoard them and waiting lists can build up.

I don’t know if this would work for you, but if you take a video and slowly move and turn through all of the pages of a book, you should be able to pause the video and read a particular page. This has worked very well for me, and you can scan through the video because you’ve followed the order of the book. The main drawback of this is the large file size of the video - but the college should provide some sort of OneDrive or cloud storage etc. That way you may only need access to the book for an an hour or two. Especially useful for short loan books.

if you feel you want to buy a book, depending on the topic, likely the previous edition or two will only have very very minor differences and should be significantly cheaper, particularly second hand.

Thanks so much for those tips, Pete, very useful. I've taken a course before (with Springboard) and the college supplied codes for e-books. Doing another course now with six modules this term and each advising of 'essential' reading materials but don't provide it and some aren't available in the college library so I'll be taking your advice. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

On 1st point - this course is online and the lectures will be recorded so this will be fine.

on 2nd point - how do they ask to prove I’m in the country? I did a Springboard’s course last year and I was only asked in summer 2020 to prove I was in the country, I wasn’t asked to prove again for the 2nd semester

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Don't buy any books. Almost every piece of information you need will be provided in lecture notes, case studies, etc. As somebody said, if it is a technical subject then YouTube, etc is your friends.

And there's also "other" places to get plenty of pdf of books, etc online.....

But the overall thing of purchasing books is a scam for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Has anyone here from an education background enrolled in a Springboard course that they could recommend?

I see someone above completed one in Change Management, wondering if those principles could be applied to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was in AIT last year and in January(start of Semester 2) they stated we needed to go back to springboard when prompted and "confirm" we were still working/unemployed/in country etc and highlight if anything had changed. I'm now in UL so I don't know their own process yet, might not be the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Also don't forget your local library. I was able to get some from the essential reading list and it was so handy. I was able to order them in, just did it well ahead of the module starting in case someone else had the same idea :)

I think if you prove your residency at at the start (when applying) that's the only time they ask.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For textbooks, there's often a recommended reading list but almost everything should be available via the college library and if it's not they should be able to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

I had to do this at least twice at the NCI if I remember correctly.

Almost 95% on the course were working in the ETBs all over the country (course was 100% online) so I would have to say yes that the principles could be applied to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Hi,

Anyone doing a Springboard and not enjoying it? I did a level 8 last year and loved it. Doing a level 9 in the same subject different Uni. and I just can't get into it.

Not enjoying it and thinking of quitting, I was so determined last year and got a first in my degree. I don't know what to do. I've paid all my fees too.

Any advice.

Could you talk to your lecturers or the course coordinator about your concerns?

why is it that you don’t think you can get into it this time around?

seems a shame to forfeit the fees, especially if you got a first for a similar course elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lordymosh

Hi everyone. Currently doing a level 9 post grad diploma with innopharma/Griffith college, medical device technology and business through springboard.

I mainly undertook this course to get into medical device sector (currently in semiconductor industry). However I recently got offered the role I wanted before doing this course. I am leaving my current role in semiconductor industry and will join a medical device company as a senior materials engineer.

I am not sure if I will be able to hack the amount of work the course would bring along with the new role. I am finding it hard to do the course at the moment anyway, didn't anticipate the amount of work. My current role was 10 min walk away one way but my new medical device role is 40 mins by bus one way so even less time to commit to the course.

I was thinking of withdrawing from the course but there are two things that put me off.

1. I will not be able to do a springboard course again.

2. I brought up that I was doing the course during my interview so not sure if this pushed them for hiring me and would look badly to them if I withdraw from it.

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

You'll learn more on the job than you will on the course I bet.

So what if you can't do another SB course, I'm sure you'll survive just fine without it. Sounds like FOMO is kicking in.

Enjoy your new role and don't be worrying about courses would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How long is the course? Could you hack it? Maybe do half? Like the previous poster said, people do courses to get the job, you've got it so if working and studying gets too much you've to prioritize the most important one.

If it's just 9 months then try to finish half, when you're more comfortable pay to do the other half

Thanks guys! Yeah its on till next September. 3 semesters so no summer off. 2 exams (1 in Jan and 1 in the summer), plus individual assignments and group assignments. The course is on 2 evenings per week, 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm (online for the whole course) and some Saturday tutorials (online for the moment but will be in person after Xmas so will have to commute to Limerick/Dublin from Cork those Saturdays).

I've already paid for the full year, was the only option. 10% was €645. I would not be refunded if I left but can't do anything about that.

I'll see how I get on over the next few days but I'm leaning towards withdrawing. I just think it would be too much and I'd be half assing both the course and new job. Also if I miss my commute back home on the bus, I'll miss the start of the Tuesday and Thursday classes.

Hopefully my new employer won't mind me withdrawing but they would prefer I had 100% focus on the new job obviously.

ok, couple of things could you use your 40 minute commute to do some work for the course. You also mention if you miss your bus you will miss the start of the class...its online can you not log on via your phone? Are the classes recorded?

you mention about withdrawing and hopefully your new employer won't mind. Did you say in the interview that you were doing the course? I know a lot of employers do hold those qualifications in high regard.

I think you need to decide whether you want to do it or not. I've done a postgrad so appreciate the volume of work and reading that is needed to be done. A lot of my work was done on a bus.

Did you recently reconfirm your springboard application?

• Advertisement

Yes it's on Zoom but I like taking notes during the class. Yes they are recorded but it will eat into my assignment work time if I don't watch it live.

Yes I did mention I was doing it in the interview. But I have a PhD in materials science which I think was more the reason they hired me than the level 9 medical device course I started. I did reconfirm my springboard application recently unfortunately.

Advertisement