Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

Is a level 8 higher diploma and a level 8 Hons degree the same on paper, I have applied for both with different providers and they seem the same on NFQ chart.

I have googled it but haven’t came across much except that one is by a TU and the other an IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had similar confusion about a course in UL which is a L7 Diploma and then a L8 degree to advance onto. Had confused me as I had completed a L6 cert in an AIT but the advancement to finish the AIT L7 would be awarding a degree(didn't get funded this year so didn't advance). You'd think they'd have been the same based on NFQ but they're not.

So I don't have any answer, just adding I'm also confused by some offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

Yeah same here they look the same on BFQ but not sure which one to go for atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Slightly confusing- applied for L9 cert in Project Management, Sligo IT. Received an email from Sligo for their Open Day so presumed I got the course. When I check in Springboard it's still pending.

Thank you for your recent application to study Health Project Management - Cert L9 with Online Learning at IT Sligo. We are delighted to invite you to our virtual open evening taking place on Tuesday, 17th August 2021 from 7pm to 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Level 7 is in old money a diploma, its now called an ordinary degree. Level 8 is the degree level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 montydream

I had enrolled last year and dropped out. Am I not eligible for any more springboard courses? I had got accepted into a new course this year but the springboard site said no.

If you go onto the Springboard page I know it does explain what happens if you dont finish a course. I didnt think it ruled you out for the following year but maybe it does.

They are also very responsive to emails so maybe drop them a line.

I got accepted to the Ops Management course in DCU I think one or two were looking at it.

I think I really want a course in NUIG but closing date for that isnt till this weekend.

Anyone else successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Just wondering, has anyone applied for Hdip Computing in NCI or Software development in DCU?

I just submitted the application last night. Springboard states that the deadline is today. Do I need to apply through the college separately?

Also, what are the chances if I don't have any technical background, except some basic self-taughtstuff?

My background is in healthcare, having two different masters in the healthcare field. Now, have this feeling to pursue computer Sc is higher than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hey , just thought I give you two cents I did the HDIP In comp science in IT carlow after doing a undergrad in history and classics and a masters in european history.

My best advice is to go into it whole hog, a lot of its going to be new but speaking on my personal experience the lecturers were always willing to go back over stuff.

One of the most difficult aspects I found was the programming modules but there are courses on udemy and codeacademy that can help.

To my most surprise the networking modules I took to like a duck to water.

The only thing in it is a lot of content but its very rewarding and got me the role I am still in today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 The Plank

Looking for some advice on part time data analytics courses. I have two offers on springboard courses which I am weighing up at the minute ; a level 8 higher diploma in data analytics from CCT college and the level 9 postgraduate certificate in fundamentals of data science from TU Dublin.

I don't have coding experience but my current job does involve a large amount of data analysis using spreadsheets. I also have experience in econometric research for a part time masters which I recently finished.

The postgrad certificate is level 9 vs the level 8 higher diploma - not sure how significant that is? Also the postgrad cert is only 30 credits vs 60 for the higher diploma so does this mean a large difference in terms of course content? Be great to get any opinions from anyone familiar with the courses.

Post edited by The Plank on

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

So you took a place and didn't bother finish the course.

You may have stopped someone else from getting a place, someone who may have actually finished the course.

I think it's dam right that they prevent people that do that from applying again.

Thank you! I am awaiting to hear from the spring board team

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Anybody applied for or currently studying for the postgraduate diploma in Packaging, Innovation and Product Design in AIT?

It's a relatively new course so would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Anyone study with NUIG? How did you find them? Just got accepted to a Postgrad. Diploma.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Does anyone know what happens if you accepted a place on a course you applied for as employed but leave your job before the course commences? I would still be happy to pay the 10% but could it affect my place? I wouldn’t be going on any sort of welfare payment or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭honda boi

Happened to me last year.

Applied and accepted while I was working.

I was then let go the 2nd lockdown and was unemployed when the course started so didn't have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Level 9 is a higher qualification than level 8 on the qualifications scale. There would probably be more units in a 60 than 30 credit course but the level 9 will be at a higher technical level. The TU course looks quite good, I nearly did it last year before settling on the NCI postgrad dip (level 9 60 credits) - the details on the course units covered should be on the colleges website. The TU course were fairly adamant that a good level of computing is needed - id imagine its similar to the NCI in terms of a lot of Python and R - you can get some level of these skills in your own time (there are a lot of online courses) but be aware than if you haven't done it before it will be a bit of an extra time commitment. You may also have to persuade the college that you have enough coding skills to be able for the material.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Plank

Thanks a mil for the feedback - decided to go with the TU L9 certificate in the end. I've just signed up for a Python course on udemy so going to get cracking on that before the course starts

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Is there a way to delete a springboard account?

Or do you need to go to Web support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭FazyLucker

Graduated earlier this year from Postgrad Diploma in Data Analytics in NCIRL (Level 9).

The core course content was very good for the most part. Became very proficient with Python in particular which was what the bulk of the course was based on. A small bit of R as well but not even remotely close to the level of Python.

As I say, the core content was good - the elective modules were ATROCIOUS. It felt like these 2 modules were just after-thoughts and the calibre of lecturing in both was very questionable.

I would also add, the general comms from the college was quite poor. Students needed to kick up a stink before stuff was acted on, in particular in the elective modules. 1-2 students always stood up for the class which was admirable of them. I think 1 student complained about a lecturer and one of the admins came on to a call and said "Pat is complaining about the lecturer about....."!!!!

Be under no illusions though, the course is a serious undertaking. The level of work involved is very significant (if you want to get a good result). As I was working full-time, I spent most evenings studying or working on projects. The deadlines come thick and fast and no sooner have you a breather from one, than the next one is on the horizon. It would be a tough subject to bluff your way through.

I am glad I completed the course though, I did learn a lot. But of the class of 50, I think about 22-23 finished.

Dear All,

I have been offered a place in the DCU for Higher Diploma in Software Development. The deadline to accept the offer is the 3rd of Sep (this Friday).

I had also applied for Higher Diploma in Science in Computing from NCI But did not hear anything from them yet.

I have absolutely no background in CS and I am full-time healthcare professional.

I read that the DCU program has a particular focus on Android App development, whereas the NCI course is more general.

I would really appreciate any feedback from those who studied one of these programs.

Thanks a Mil

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dogtanian07

Hi, thanks for the info.

I am doing the HDIP in Data Analytics in NCI starting this month. I believe the difference between the two courses is a project at the end. Therefore I am wondering if you shared the same classes with the HDIP students? Im curious if the workload is the same in the HDIP

Also apparantley the course content is changing this September to be more relevant and updated following industry consultation

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭doc22

they are not the same, there's hdips on the PGD, one is a level 8 the other level 9. needless to say one is far harder than the other

Thanks, yes I know its a level 9 v level 8 and its possible after the HDIP to advance to the level 9 with a project + paying the fee.

The modules in both are very similar and I am wondering if the HDIP and Masters students are in the same class for python etc. Because I am curious about the workload mentioned. Did you do either course yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭FazyLucker

No, we had no HDip candidates in our classes.

We also had no project at the end, just projects at the end of each module. Maybe that is changed this year but they should have had much more focus on PowerBI and Tableau, the guy lecturing on this module didn't have a clue what he was at and had no plan other than "yeah, download Tableau, there's a data set in there, go in and play around with it and I'll be back in about 40 minutes". He was absolutely brutal.

One guy who I work with started the HDip last year and dropped out after a couple of weeks. Wasn't able for Stats/Python so a word of advice, you do need a mathematical and coding type mind - otherwise the course will be hell.

Thanks for the info and heads up on stats/python. Thats very bad about the lecturer. Sorry I should have mentioned, I am doing the 2 year online HDIP so hopefully a little more manageable. There was an open day and they are redoing the modules this year based on industry feedback so hopefully its much improved. I believe it will be Python heavy but I didnt see any mention of R

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

Seems like the quality of lecturers is overall poor on the Springboard courses from what I read on here.

Is it a case of, give them the poorer tutors because it's only Springboard or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Not my experience - on the PGDip I did last year through Springboard, most of the lecturers we had were "good" to "very good"...

There wasn't a separate Springboard class - Springboard people are dotted into "normal" classes.

• Advertisement

This. There aren't special Springboard courses, there are Springboard places within courses that anyone can apply to.

Advertisement