Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I was in this position last year, moved from oil and gas to pharmaceutical sucessfully got a contracting role just before I started the L9 biopharmaceutical processing course. It was very demanding due to the work project I am on, at times I was working till lunch on a Saturday and then spending the afternoon doing assignments, my only consolation was it was during lockdown! If you were able you could maybe do enough to get by on the course, start it and see what you think. The work expericne could enable you to pass the course without even doing the lectures. I told myself I would do enough "Just to pass" but found it too hard to do something half heartedly and gave a lot of commitment and got 80% overall.

Have you got kids? A significant other (They best be patient!) I found the hardest part doing literaray reviews and essays etc as hadn't done any acadmeic reading in years, it got easier once I got used to it, but with your Phd you'll probably find that not as daunting.

Start it for a couple of weeks, see what you make of it and then decide, you've nothing to loose as you've already registered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lordymosh

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I might as well see how it goes. It'll be tough but it won't be forever. Atleast the new job will compliment the course. I was a bit taken a back at first because I don't have a biology background. If I find it too much, I can always do the bare minimum to pass it. I have a week off before I start my new role so I can really work on my first assignment. Thanks!

Yeah try not to let assignments build up too much and get them out of the way when possible so if other things get in the way you've got a bit of leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Do we know when these are available for September onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

they've been up a week like???

Very little level 6 this year...they had to ruin it eventually i guess

Sligo should be banned out of it. Crap courses, some are 3 months advertised as a year. Watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Notice that the courses this year are much more specific too, which is good. Very few generic 'entrepreneur' or 'innovation' type courses compared to prior years

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Is that all the course or will more be added ? Was looking to do a course (classroom based) in Limerick but only like 3 showing up :(

Thats it, sh1te this year, money was spent on Oireachtas wine instead i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭go4it

sounds to me that you filter the courses based on Delivery methods: classroom ; and keyword search: Limerick

You need to dig deeper : most full time courses are classroom based and some courses are having a 'blended' approach : you're welcome to attend in classroom, join the live class through Zoom/Teams or switch to full remote when restrictions are coming back.

Look what's the offering from 'providers' in your area ( colleges , Uni's) - if you see something interesting, might contact them and ask what's the attendance policy

Download the excel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Hey, thanks for the advice.

Studying at home just wouldn't work for me :( so thats why I wanted a course classroom based. I did look at blended as if it was mostly classroom based it might be doable, but it seems like there is very little in Limerick.

I filtered by selecting the two university's/ collage in Limerick and then classroom based / blended.

I get that haveing online course is great for most as it allows people to do course further away, save money on travel, better for environment ect, just dose not work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 himself there

Anyone applied to ATU Donegal formerly LYIT for the year long computing conversion course?

I applied a week ago and still pending.

Anyone hear back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Some colleges won't get back to you until after the closing date, others will go through applications as they're received. Can also reach out to them and they might give you a time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭This is it

Keep in mind that you can apply for many and then choose what you want. Though some colleges will push you for an answer and to confirm attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

Worth having a chat with them. I found them to be very helpful previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

IT Carlow anyone got any reviews? Looking at the MSc they are running.

If you applied on the basis of being employed but leave your job before the course starts, will that come back to bite you in any way?

No intention of claiming benefits or anything but just might be out out of work around August for a course that starts in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

You might just need to get some stuff signed off by the current role say your in employement etc.. more than anything else.

But if I'm in employment and verify that at present via payslip but then I am no longer in employment when it starts will that affect my gov funding?

My feeling is it shouldn't as I will pay the 10% fee and not go on welfare during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

If you read the site you will see that it will affect you.....

It's open to those in employment or on a social payment only, do if you don't claim social and leave your job, you're not covered to do the course.

• Advertisement

Why are you so negative about Sligo. A lot of people could benefit from a basic handy course that covers the basics, is not over taxing and leads to a qualification. At the end of the day this could be what helps someone get a fooy in the door, they will develop skills on the job.

Also Sligo are linked with Nibrt so that's great for pharma industry jobs.

I did a Sligo course a long time ago and found them excellent.

I switchedjobs during it so at the start had a letter of employment for working on the farm for my dad and then after 1st term we had to show proof again (I think) in December or January I showed a payslip from a pharma job. I can't remember if I had to submit something this time to verify or just tick a box.

And it's also prudent to get more than one opinion, I for one can recommend Sligo IT for their Engineering and Pharmaceutical courses.

Perhaps the course for your industry was sub-standard but that does not relate to the college as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've done 2 springboard courses back to back and just applied for my 3rd, and final course, before I'd have to wait two years before trying again.

Anyway on my most recent one I did lose my job but in each of the courses, one being AIT and the other UL I had to resubmit my details in January to prove my continued ability to be funded. I was told by UL and Springboard after being made redundant that both employed and unemployed are suitable so that if I am still unemployed when the second Semester check was done that I would be fine. I was back in employment by that time.

For those wondering if it's worth it I now have a Diploma from AIT(TUS) and a Degree from UL and so far I've only paid abour €400 in total(besides some books I needed to buy). Well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Nice one Berty, thought I read on here a person could only do one course rather than multiple courses. Sounds like that's a myth so.

For anyone reading and considering doing a course, just remember that not all courses are created equally, it's very possible that you could do a course and be fit for nothing at the end of it. Choose the course wisely, do you see yourself working in that industry going forwards, don't just pick a course for the sake of it. Research the course, what are the job prospects like, see can you find people on LinkedIn who did the course previously, are they where you want to be etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Limited to one course at a time, and a maximum of 3 courses in a 5 year period IIRC...

This is correct, one at a time. I often assume people using Springboard would have known this.

As soon as you accept one course all the others become "User Cancelled" and you are prevented from applying to others until your course becomes "CompleteSuccessful". I'm unsure if you fail if you are allowed take another course until you either repeat and then pass or repeat and then fail. I had to ask UL myself to manually mark mine as CompleteSucessful so I could apply for another course as the deadline was fast approaching to apply.

• Advertisement

As I was accepted by AIT onto my course I noticed this bit of details which may help others:

Also please note if your employment status changes between now and the start of September, please do reach out to us and we can assist you in determining your continued eligibility. Failure to do this could result in your funding not being available to you, and you may be liable for the full fee of €4500. 

Advertisement