Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Anyone have any insight into Data Visualisation ? In particular the course in Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art Design & Technology

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/10029

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here is the thing, you have to support your evidence of employment/unemployment in Mid August so might be difficult as they only accept recent payslips and the like. You have to do it again around January as well.

I don't really know. My first thought was doing a balancing statement in January(in 2023 or 2024) trying to get reduction based on education allowances, the revenue system might get confused by having a funded course and you trying to claim fees on a non funded course.

I would say that, although I considered this myself doing two courses at the same time(Springboard+ and non springboard), I'm glad I didn't. The workload from AIT for a 60credit course was fairly heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Anyone any experience with the Diploma in Applied Data Technologies in LYIT/ATU Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭richsull

I have an offer from NCI for the L9 online PostGrad in Data Analytics. Has anyone here done this course? If so, would you consider it worthwhile and/or sufficiently in-depth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Anybody got any experience of Postgraduate Diploma in Innovation through Design Thinking in UCC ?

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/10001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I was entering my second year of a self funded non springboard course when I signed up for a springboard course. Never caused any problems other than your own workload.

Any recommendations for something online only or a course I could do without having to give up work, although with the way things are going I could be out of a job if we go into recession this year.

The highest level of qualification I have is a level 5 ideally I'd love to upskill and get out of the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

What are you interested in?

Go to Springboard and see if there’s anything that you like.

Much more enjoyable when doing something your interested in than doing something for the sake of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

How could anybody recommend you a course knowing nothing about you, sounds like you're too lazy to go do your own research.

• Advertisement

Or just tired/wiped out/burnt out/

You haven't a clue.

Or you might be right.

I know it's ridiculous asking strangers on an internet forum to recommend a course to someone.

And if "burnt out", don't add a course to your workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Many springboard courses are part time and remote or have a series of Saturday seminars or similar. I wouldn't worry about finding a course structure to suit you. Really have a good think about what it is you want to do and what you enjoy doing in your own job or have an aptitude for first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Part time courses are designed around working people, all the lectures are recorded if you can't attend and the content is online (Blackboard or Moodle), most do continous assessment as well. I've done 3 courses (1 was the July stimulus) and it was all remote learning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My recommendation would be to do a course you have an interest in, if you don't have an interest and you're just doing it because you want to do a course you'll either find it hard going, you'll fail or you'll drop out. Get something you'd be interested in and do it, ideally a 1 year course, don't worry too much about the levels, once you get used to the learning structure you can do another course afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

My application is still in a pending status, has anyone been accepted yet? I am looking to do a biopharma course with ATU/IT Sligo.

You can click a button to see if they've even downloaded it yet. It's the button on the right when you're looking at it in your springboard profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

It has been downloaded...what would that indicate normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

That the application has been downloaded by the college. Mine was at that for a week or two before getting an answer when I applied a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭This is it

It really depends on the college. Some you'll get an answer in hours, others will be weeks unfortunately. Some are after other colleges deadlines which is a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Huagwah

Hi all, has anyone applied for a course with NUIG? The day after I applied it said on my application history "Application downloaded as a PDF document." Been a week now and heard nothing back 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I applied for and was offered a place on the Postgraduate Diploma in Cybersecurity and Software Development as a recent graduate in NUIG. It's a 2 year part-time online course which suits me fine.

My undergraduate degree is in a completely unrelated discipline although I have a Level 6 in Computing from a long time ago.

The course was advertised on a first come first serve basis and I applied even though I didn't have my transcripts.

I uploaded my transcripts and was offered a place within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Huagwah

I applied for the Postgraduate Diploma in Cloud Computing and Software Developmen, it's actually the same lecturer. Hmmm🤔.. I get the impression from your offer wih 24 hrs that I'm not going to be offered a place in this course. I have a level 8 hons photography degree but want to move careers, done a multimedia graphic design fetac level 5 years ago that included HTML, didnt include those transcripts though. I really want to get into coding seems like an interesting field and one that is in high demand in Ireland at the moment. I said feck it and I dropped her an email asking how long does it normally take to hear back whether you've been offered a place or not 😅 let's see... In the meantime going to apply for others too I think its thw safest bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fminus

Any idea if there is an option to upgrade this Diploma to a Masters?

The NUIG Diploma in SW Engineering (1 year) allows for an add-on year to convert to a Masters which is great. I can't see anything similar for this course which is a pity...

I don't tbh.

It's a level 9 course so would this not put it on a par with a Masters?

My level 8 Hons. degree is in Politics but I also uploaded my level 6 in Computing from a while ago as I have done some coding previously. If I was you I would upload the transcripts from your level 5 and also apply for the Cybersecurity course in NUIG as they say they are keen to hear from any applicants with previous exposure to coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Anyone recommend a springboard in the financial side of things?

I honestly dont know where to start. I worked with a guy once who went off to work in finance and i heard he was doing well. I dont know him too well so cannot ask directly. Any advice appreciated.

I think a few finance ones came online in nov last year and weren't on springboard site itself....on the providers side only....scroll back.

The whole thing is getting worse every year....like everything else. Stupid and useless scumbags invade every arm of gov eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Advertisement