Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project bike

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't suppose there's a spare matching left crank lying around in anyone's shed? i have this available, but the non-drive side crank is missing. doesn't seem particularly worn, and is 170mm (short enough, given the bike its on is a 56cm or 58cm frame).

535397.jpg

535398.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have to get me one of these laser jobbies. they'd make cleaning a frame so easy. (it's not about bikes, but would be so useful on one)
    skip to 3:30 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

i have to get me one of these laser jobbies. they'd make cleaning a frame so easy. (it's not about bikes, but would be so useful on one)
    skip to 3:30 in.

For someone so precise in the restoration he makes an awful job of pouring in the coffee beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

i have to get me one of these laser jobbies. they'd make cleaning a frame so easy.

Unless you're going to do it professionally, I'd recommend renting one (if that's possible) - they start around €4,000, and larger, industrial ones run well over €20k :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I found this guy down an internet rabbit hole. He's daft as a brush(exposure to solvents??) but some of his vids are really good too. Thought he might be of interest to people looking at painting their frames

• Advertisement

i have this wheel knocking about, and copped that it has what appears to be a spacer on it; it's too wide as is to fit the bike i've been fixing up; is it a case of removing or replacing the spacer to avoid having to cold set?
    and yes, i do appreciate that i may have to re-dish the wheel, but that will be dipping my toe in wheel building without starting from the very start.

539732.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is there a spacer on the opposite side? Could you remove equal amounts from either side to get the desired spacing?

i guess there's a couple of mm possibly to be gained here, but i don't know if there's a standard offset between the smallest sprocket and the stays?

539734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

That's a big block of a spacer. Can you measure the width? It might be possible to make a series of smaller spacers that fill the same space, giving you a bit more play.

If you give me dimensions, and are willing to wait until schools are back in operation, I'll be happy to make up and send on whatever width spacers are required

much appreciated! i'll measure tomorrow to try to figure out the tolerances i'm playing with (width?)

• Advertisement

much appreciated! i'll measure tomorrow to try to figure out the tolerances i'm playing with (width?)

If you find the overall width of that single spacer, I can make 3, 4, 5 spacers that fill the same overall space. 2mm, 3mm, 4mm etc.

What is need it the overall width, o.d. and i.d.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I found this guy down an internet rabbit hole. He's daft as a brush(exposure to solvents??) but some of his vids are really good too. Thought he might be of interest to people looking at painting their frames

Praise the lord for YouTube giving these mad scientists a platform.

This guy reminds me of the tg4 series, 'hands', where skilled craftsmen would explain how they work.

Praise the lord for YouTube giving these mad scientists a platform.

This guy reminds me of the tg4 series, 'hands', where skilled craftsmen would explain how they work.

Sorry, but hands is far superior to this, and if I may say so, about 92% of all of YouTube

cletus wrote: »
    Sorry, but hands is far superior to this, and if I may say so, about 92% of all of YouTube

Agree totally. Production values, historical significance and legacy are clearly far higher in something like the series referenced.

The comparison I was trying to make is more towards slightly obscure skillsets and/or characters being given a stage. Also the feeling that, after watching, you feel like you know a little bit about the details involved.

Agree totally. Production values, historical significance and legacy are clearly far higher in something like the series referenced.

The comparison I was trying to make is more towards slightly obscure skillsets and/or characters being given a stage. Also the feeling that, after watching, you feel like you know a little bit about the details involved.

Sorry, watching Brown Vs Condit, and unsure who I want to shout for.

Yeah, I was being a little facetious, to be fair, but there's something about the fact that those people were displaying their skills to the camera without any idea that it might result in views, likes, clicks, or any other aspect of social media

cletus wrote: »
    Sorry, watching Brown Vs Condit, and unsure who I want to shout for.

Yeah, I was being a little facetious, to be fair, but there's something about the fact that those people were displaying their skills to the camera without any idea that it might result in views, likes, clicks, or any other aspect of social media

Point taken once more.

'hands' was made in a time before YouTube was common place. I am not at all trying to directly compare them as that would only end up insulting the creators of one or the other.

I will say that before youtube, if I decided to build a currach, for eg, 'hands' would be a good source of info. Nowadays there are probably currach builders with step by step instructions on YouTube.

Edit: aside from actually going to a currach builder and learning the craft!

i used to know (well, my dad did) one of the people around whom one of the 'hands' documentaries was made; he made dutch style spinning wheels. he died years ago but his son still does it; albeit that there's pretty much no demand for them now, except repairs and restorations.

also worth watching are the recent 'handmade' series on BBC4 should they be repeated.

so i had a look at the locknuts on the axle on the wheel i have spare (the one set up for 130mm) and it seems the locknuts are simply about 3mm thicker than on the axle from the broken wheel set up for 125mm; so a simple swap of the locknuts might be enough to bring the 130mm axle down to 125mm:

539930.jpg

now, that might leave the freewheel a little too close to the stays on the drive side, but it does seem the locknut on the 130mm wheel *is* sitting much further proud than on the 125mm one.
    cept i've run into a minor issue - as you can see in the photo below, the dust cap on that axle seems to be attached to the cone rather than the hub (not a configuration i'm used to) but it seems to be the case on the drive side too - so i can't actually remove the axle to unbind the locknut and cone on the drive side as the dust cap is captured on the cone, inside the freewheel and i don't have that specific tool to remove that freewheel.

539931.jpg

i *could* try clamping the axle itself but i risk damaging the threads. have left a bit of GT85 soaking into it overnight to see if that helps loosen things up.

starting to some together now. few bits left to sort (the chain being an obvious one). i have brown leather effect bar tape to wrap the bars, but won't do that till i'm happy with the position of the brakes.

big thanks to 8valve for the chainwheel.

541772.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's really clean, I like it a lot.

• Advertisement

just to put some costs together:
    bike €50
    saddle €50 (bought secondhand on here)
    paint €15 (less, considering i only used a small fraction of the tin of primer)
    bar tape €15
    brake levers and derailleurs €35
    handlebar €10
    cables, housing and a few other bits'n'bobs from the LBS €15
    so €190 so far, which doesn't include the chain. i think the mudguards which came with it are probably too grubby to use, and i want a chrome carrier for it rather than the black anodised one which it arrived with. so that'll be extra too.

the wheels came from a different rescue, the back wheel was split on the bike when i got it (didn't spot it till i started to clean it)
    also, chainwheel was postage and a small bit of beer money for 8valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Not bad. All for the cost of a night out

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

just to put some costs together:
    bike €50
    saddle €50 (bought secondhand on here)
    paint €15 (less, considering i only used a small fraction of the tin of primer)
    bar tape €15
    brake levers and derailleurs €35
    handlebar €10
    cables, housing and a few other bits'n'bobs from the LBS €15
    so €190 so far, which doesn't include the chain. i think the mudguards which came with it are probably too grubby to use, and i want a chrome carrier for it rather than the black anodised one which it arrived with. so that'll be extra too.

the wheels came from a different rescue, the back wheel was split on the bike when i got it (didn't spot it till i started to clean it)
    also, chainwheel was postage and a small bit of beer money for 8valve.

That's a nice little project for a relatively small outlay.

Also, don't forget...the satisfaction of having done it all yourself is priceless.

Advertisement