Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project bike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    How much paint would you need for a frame and fork?
    i found that a standard small can was enough for my bike - i used etch primer first, then the paint coat, and sprayed lacquer over the top.

one thing that surprised me - not having done this before - is how long it takes for the paint to cure. i.e. even after the paint has been on for a couple of days, spraying fresh paint over it can liquefy the layer underneath.
    i think my paint can claims seven days to fully cure, and the lacquer 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

8valve wrote: »
    the beauty of Montana cans is that, as graffiti paint, they're extremely opaque, require no primer, stick to nearly everything, and are very resistant to the elements..

remember, this stuff has to be blasted off subway carriages in New York!

I painted an entire VW Transporter using 18 Montana cans a few years ago and it lasted for years.

I would recommend you overcoat it with montana clear gloss varnish/lacquer to avoid oil from the bike components staining the paint, as it has a natural satin/matt finish.

No primer? Sounds ideal ha I'll order some in the next couple of days.

I'm getting excited about this project again. I have a Kellys arc 10 for the road now so I'm not sure what I'll use this one for when I'm done.

@magicblaster thanks for the tip on the drying time. It'll be out in the shed so it'll be slow to dry with the colder weather too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've taken the frame indoors to leave it sit for a week anyway. the paint is usually touch dry quite quickly, but the lacquer still felt tacky hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I bought paint from spray.bike and extra primer / clear coat from Vinny Byrne in Dublin, found them reasonable and super fast delivery even during lockdown.

I ended up using about 1 ½ tins of primer as i cleaned a lot of rust off it so really don't want it coming back.
    Went with 2 colours, frame/fork so had plenty in a tin of each.
    For the clear coat i ended up buying a tin of 2k off Vinny Byrne instead of the Spray.bike transparent finish as 2k has a tougher finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I believe artmaterials.ie are cheaper than Vinny Byrne for Montana

• Advertisement

vinny byrne were more expensive than my local motor factors place too, but my local motor factors place stock two brands, and vinny byrne probably stock 15 or more; not so much of an issue if you're buying online, but i had called around so it was easier then to buy in vinny byrnes (who also gave me good advice in person).

I had planned to go with spray.bike but the fact that the Irish suppliers the have on their website don't stock it (and never have) really put me off them

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

graff-city in the UK have a humongous stock of Montana cans; that's where i got them for painting the van.

Cahills art shop in Tramore ( not sure if they do online sales) just got a big Montana delivery in the last couple of weeks, too...was out there like a kid in a sweet shop recently. €6.99 a can!

Treat yourself by spending an extra fiver on a pistol-grip rattlecan holder as well; allows for greater control when spraying, fits 99.99% of rattlecans out there....and stops the tip of your finger getting numb!!

was looking at getting a headset for the bike, and read this comment and another few like it on chain reaction cycles; is that likely to be an issue on a british frame?

"if like me you decided to take on a resto-project, just make sure your frame is ISO 1 inch and not JIS 1 inch (26.4mm vs 27mm). It is possible to use the ISO with at JIS spec frame, but you have to sand down the cup frame plugs to allow them to fit into the frame. You may also have to do the same with the fork crown racer. It is a massive hassle so best off just getting a JIS version!"

also, any other sites to recommend for buying older spec components? CRC seem to be sold out of a lot of their 1" threaded headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

was looking at getting a headset for the bike, and read this comment and another few like it on chain reaction cycles; is that likely to be an issue on a british frame?

"if like me you decided to take on a resto-project, just make sure your frame is ISO 1 inch and not JIS 1 inch (26.4mm vs 27mm). It is possible to use the ISO with at JIS spec frame, but you have to sand down the cup frame plugs to allow them to fit into the frame. You may also have to do the same with the fork crown racer. It is a massive hassle so best off just getting a JIS version!"

also, any other sites to recommend for buying older spec components? CRC seem to be sold out of a lot of their 1" threaded headsets.

Can't help with your first question but I bought a Campagnolo Record headset from Pro Bike Kit for an Olmo Competition which I am restoring. Want to keep frame parts Italian as much as possible.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-headsets/campagnolo-record-threaded-bicycle-headset/10779467.html

• Advertisement

i stuck the old one back on. it's a bit rusty and slightly notchy, but definitely usable.

this evening i''ll be trying to get the seat tube to happily take the seat post. i had to stand the frame upside down and stand on the saddle to get leverage to work the seatpost out when i was disassembling, and it's similarly tight trying to reinsert one. can get one in by hand but it's tight enough that it's scoring the seatpost again, so i'll have to dig around to see if i can get some double sided tape to tape some sandpaper to a broomstick as a rudimentary way of cleaning/fractionally reaming the inside of the tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

i'll have to dig around to see if i can get some double sided tape to tape some sandpaper to a broomstick as a rudimentary way of cleaning/fractionally reaming the inside of the tube.

Just spray in a bunch of degreaser and feed a cloth in and twist most of it will just come away without major drama. Gently prise open the top of the seat tube also it may have been over tightened at some point.

Cheers, I superglued some 120 grit to a broomstick and have given the inside of the tube a good clean but it's only had a minor effect. Time for some brute force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

On steel frames, it's worth checking if the seatpost clamp was over-tightened in the past, leading to the rear two ears (either side of the notch at the rear of the seat tube) being closed in a bit too much, making scoring/stiffness an issue. If so, they can be fettled out a bit.

Cheers, I superglued some 120 grit to a broomstick and have given the inside of the tube a good clean but it's only had a minor effect. Time for some brute force.

RJ the Bike Guy had a video of a section of wire coat hanger with a small loop at one end, holding some coarse wire wool, with the other end in a cordless drill; seemed to do a good job of cleaning up the inside of a steel seat tube of decades of rust/gunk/neglect.

As Type17 mentioned above, seat post clamp lug may be slightly crushed also. the beauty of steel is its malleability, so what is bent, can often be bent back into correct form, within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Re. cleaning the inside of the seat tube, if you can get one of these, it should be easy enough to extend the shaft

61p7fCmcthL._AC_SY400_.jpg

cheers, got sorted. a few whacks on the broomstick with a wooden mallet, when it was in the tube, seems to have done the job. it was a combination of corrosion and the ears being tightened in a little too much.

i'm at the point now where i'm starting to build up a shopping list of required parts based on what i have ruled in and ruled out. i picked up a cheap set of handlebars with some suicide levers the other day, but as i'm finding, a lot of parts are very sloppy or worn feeling, and it's usually down to worn bushings and the like. there's original altus shifters on the bike, but one side is a little sloppy and the other side loosens ever so slightly every time you change gear. i'll be able to bodge some fixes there though i reckon.

i've been browsing bankruptbikeparts, and sjscycles - as well as adverts - but this is a real newbie question. on brake levers like these (i'm not considering these ones!), they're missing the mechanism, usually a barrel adjuster on a flat bar brake, which would stop the cable housing from sliding into the lever body; are these easily found?

https://www.adverts.ie/other-bike-parts-accessories/vintage-bike-brake-levers/17840732

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The wider style of ferrule for these older levers are still available - a good LBS should have them. Get aluminium ones, the plastic ones eventually break. Barrel adjusters are fitted there on some older French/Dutch bikes, but are not that common.

and i decided this evening i'd just nick the wheels from the dawes i'd promised to 8valve, but as it turns out, the frame i'm working on has a 125mm spacing on the rear dropouts but the rear hub from the dawes is 135mm. and i'm not at the point where i want to try cold setting.

• Advertisement

decided to strip down the (supposedly not user serviceable) BB that came on the bike - it just felt a bit dry rather than loose or grindy. and it was much easier to take apart than expected, as per the video; mine was identical to strip down.

530529.jpg

Finally some progress on my project

530578.jpg

Very impressed with the Montana spray cans it was touch dry in 2-3 minutes

I like that colour

Finally some progress on my project

530578.jpg

Very impressed with the Montana spray cans it was touch dry in 2-3 minutes

Love it. Well done, that man!

cletus wrote: »
    I like that colour

Me too; not a million miles away from Bianchi Celeste.

did you do the fork in the same colour?

did you do the fork in the same colour?

I haven't yet but I was planning to. Do you have a different suggestion?

I've done another couple of light coats on the frame and I'm very happy with it.

I'm going to start ordering parts soon, I'll need to see what's worth keeping and what needs to be replaced.

I definitely need new headset bearings
    531152.jpg

I don't know what I'm looking at haha any help on what I need to order would be much appreciated.

I think I'll pick up cheap handlebars and leavers on Amazon, or would I be better off going second hand?

I've done another couple of light coats on the frame and I'm very happy with it.

I'm going to start ordering parts soon, I'll need to see what's worth keeping and what needs to be replaced.

I definitely need new headset bearings
    531152.jpg

I don't know what I'm looking at haha any help on what I need to order would be much appreciated.

I think I'll pick up cheap handlebars and leavers on Amazon, or would I be better off going second hand?

Why are you sure the bearings are shot? I'd clean them up and have a look then.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Why are you sure the bearings are shot? I'd clean them up and have a look then.

They're at least 10 years old and I'm pretty sure there's ball bearings missing from it.

New ones are cheap too so I thought I'd be better off replacing it. I'll clean it up and see how it looks

Advertisement