Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA UFC 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Did a bit more testing with BJJ in career mode and it's definitely the most fun for me. With Boxing & Balanced, I was just focusing on standup as I didn't have the ground moves to improve them. That led to spamming boxing sparring and becoming very bored in fight camp. On top of that, having zero ground game became very boring in fights also.

With BJJ build, I actually used every aspect of fight camp and saw quick improvements across the board. Fought Nik Lentz again as my UFC debut and it was like night and day to last time. Playing on Hard, I stuffed his first 2 takedown attempts and countered his 3rd with a guillotine attempt. Was savage but he got out of it. Rocked him with an overhand, he took me down and threw a triangle from the bottom and tapped him out in the 1st. It's the closest I've felt to an mma fighter in a career mode since EA MMA. Also, grappling is a lot of fun this year, some great transitions and reversals added in. The gnp feels better once you know how it works, still not a huge fan of it though.

I recommend giving it a go if boxing gets boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Whats the verdict on this lads, saw initial comments talking about the poor gameplay, have they been sorted?

Really enjoyed 2 but struggled to get a handle on 3.

Would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

D.Q wrote: »
    Whats the verdict on this lads, saw initial comments talking about the poor gameplay, have they been sorted?

Would you recommend?

It does feel a lot better now than the beta, striking has a great feel to it (a greater sense of impact, if that makes sense) and the clinch is fun though I’ve yet to figure it out. Ground game is good and encourages more action than UFC 3, but again there are some changes that will take getting used to.

Based on the few hours I’ve played so far, I’d recommend it but that’s based purely on gameplay. Haven’t tried career yet.

Would you recommend?

Depends what you struggled with. If it was the ground game, there is a simpler control option now, basically 3 directions for Getup, Transition and Strike. A patch was released last week that has made a big difference from the Beta so the gameplay has improved. Finish the fight ground and pound could be a lot better but the standup is great and I'm really enjoying the grappling side as well. Clinch is a huge improvement, makes the fight feel really natural. The submissions are still tricky to get the hang of but they're okay.

Career seems good but still not sure if there will be much replayability. EA seems to be stuck on the same core career with minor additions each year but enjoying it much more than last year already.

The most fun I've had on it so far is playing with a couple of lads on here, whether it's been agreed training specific positions, rock em sock em or proper fighting, it's always been a great laugh.

I'd recommend getting 1 month EA Access for I think 4 euro and download the trial of UFC 4 to see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Depends what you struggled with. If it was the ground game, there is a simpler control option now, basically 3 directions for Getup, Transition and Strike. A patch was released last week that has made a big difference from the Beta so the gameplay has improved. Finish the fight ground and pound could be a lot better but the standup is great and I'm really enjoying the grappling side as well. Clinch is a huge improvement, makes the fight feel really natural. The submissions are still tricky to get the hang of but they're okay.

Career seems good but still not sure if there will be much replayability. EA seems to be stuck on the same core career with minor additions each year but enjoying it much more than last year already.

The most fun I've had on it so far is playing with a couple of lads on here, whether it's been agreed training specific positions, rock em sock em or proper fighting, it's always been a great laugh.

I'd recommend getting 1 month EA Access for I think 4 euro and download the trial of UFC 4 to see what you think.

Nah it was actually the striking i struggled with, couldn't get the new movement style down at all.

Yeah no harm, not too bothered with career would really just be into the ranked fights.

• Advertisement

Nah it was actually the striking i struggled with, couldn't get the new movement style down at all.

Yeah no harm, not too bothered with career would really just be into the ranked fights.

The striking feels great. Easier to throw flashier moves this year (less button presses), lunges in and out feel great, moving your head with or without blocking, feels really natural. Only thing is that you have a ton of stamina and it's leading to hectic brawls until someone gets knocked out. I'm sure they are gonna reduce stamina a bit to make it more realistic. Also, I'm finding it very dangerous to go for body shots as they aren't punishing on opponents stamina as they should be and you can get left open for a fast and deadly counter.

Ful game now is sitting at 50gb's on xbox store which means the day one patch is about 25gb's, same size as the base game. That's a hefty patch unless they left a few things out of the trial. I did notice there was no Live Event option which would be mad to leave out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Anyone who's played career, do you find in some fights you don't get any move Evo, or normal evolution points from some fights which is ridiculous?

I've noticed it in YouTube career modes too but they just kinda accept it and move on, but it's annoying for me like I finished a fight by armbar and didnt get any improvements to my armbar??

Would that be a bug or should it be like that does anyone know?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Anyone who's played career, do you find in some fights you don't get any move Evo, or normal evolution points from some fights which is ridiculous?

I've noticed it in YouTube career modes too but they just kinda accept it and move on, but it's annoying for me like I finished a fight by armbar and didnt get any improvements to my armbar??

Would that be a bug or should it be like that does anyone know?

I notice that as well, worked an armbar in training, got no EVO for it but got it for some moves I didn't even use. No idea if it's a glitch or the game not allowing you to fill a move too quickly.

Ful game now is sitting at 50gb's on xbox store which means the day one patch is about 25gb's, same size as the base game. That's a hefty patch unless they left a few things out of the trial. I did notice there was no Live Event option which would be mad to leave out.

I loved the Live Event mode, it was something that kept me coming back to the game so often as there’d usually be an event on at the weekend. The only thing is the reward system was tied in with Ultimate Team so they might have just scrapped it along with that. Hope it’s patched in though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Would you recommend?

Having played the 10 hours and a good mix of career and online (mainly the new blitz battles mode) I’m gonna say that its good but not amazing. When you look at the reality that its 2 and a half years since they released UFC3 i don’t think there is enough progression. They have taken away a game mode (Ultimate Team) which means all that development time and work saved but I can’t say that I see vast improvements every where else to show where the time was spent.

Sure some of the movement is a bit slicker, some new game mode in blitz battles (but that just uses existing content) and a bit more polish in parts but I dont consider it a huge improvement. With any new release there is always gonna be shiny object syndrome, its a new game, new fighters and its fun but I think after two months the novelty will have worn off, the complaints will be there about career and stuff that is broken and it will just be back to the pick up and play aspect of the UFC games and going online for a few scraps. Im still going to buy it because I know I will like UFC 3 always jump on every now and then for that reason and play online doing championships and blitz battle, but is it a must buy because of how much better a game it is than 3..not for me.

Yeah, ufc 3 didn't have great longevity for me but it's bizarre they took out UT as it would have for their crazy caf's perfectly. I believe they got done by the usual loud anti-stuff people who don't even play it.

I'll play it and enjoy it but still not living up to its full potential and i don't think it will until another studio takes over.

Weird enough, but they’ve got some fairly big names for that in fairness to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Decided to get ea access on my Irish account so i can play another 10 hours. Will probably try a few different styles on career with it. Decided to do a blitz battle first..having done a good few on my other account but never getting a final competitor. KO mode..best of 3 KO’s..my kinda blitz battle. Played straight through it and won the bloody thing on this account and got the trophy..typical lol

Aw goddamn, just put it back on for ko blitz and it's a great laugh. Have to head off but will definitely try that again.

Trying the KO blitz myself but finding it really tough going. It feels like there’s a massive lag on my inputs, but I’ve had a couple of cans so it might be just dulled senses. :pac:

All my bruce lee's started downloading so if you don't have ea Access, your psn digital game is ready for download.

I picked dana white and thought stamina isn't really a thing until i got kod in the 3rd and tried again with jorge and now i think dana has buffed stamina.

Handy little thing I learned tonight; you can transition to stack guard by starting the get up transition from full guard and then letting go of L1 during it. People seem to have a much harder time defending strikes from that position so it’s fairly useful at the minute.

Just fought a guy who was able to deny every takedown I shot, and hold me in the clinch. Didn't complete one, or escape the clinch once before the fight was finished in round 2.

He was genuinely class at it. I can never defend takedowns it seems. I need to get it sorted

• Advertisement

Not happy with this. The mobile game has what sounds like Ultimate Team when the console version is seriously lacking a mode like that.

https://twitter.com/EAufcmobile/status/1293605184522711041?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Played a good few games online tonight. Enjoying now that I got the hang of the ground game. Adesanya is great to use if you're a counter fighter like myself. You can just stay on then outside and strike with jabs so easily.

Accidentally ended up in the weird mortal kombat mode and its savage. Having the announcer guy call your big hits it hilarious

I hate how bad I am at online, getting wrecked even though the guys I'm playing aren't all that great.

Edit: After posting the above, I tried again with Cyborg, man her stamina drains extremely quickly. I was down to about 25% stamina left in only round 1 when opponent took me down. Threw on an armbar, blocked their slam and started throwing strikes, easy win. Tried again, this time against Meisha, she took me down and threw on a sub which I got out of handy enough. More grappling and I threw on the same armbar from the bottom. He quit just as he started tapping, felt great. Just about to fight for the belt and my trial ended, sickened! I'm staying up tonight and picking back up where I started at midnight, hopefully it will stil be W BW so I can pick Cyborg again.

Also, patch 2.01 is out, lots of fighter models updated (including hairstyles and more muscle) and AI characteristics added. Cowboy is a huge improvement.

I can't play my last hours of the ea access trial, it just comes up saying playable in x hours. Not impressed

What's the story with online title fights being 3 rounds and no judges scorecards for any decision by the way?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    What's the story with online title fights being 3 rounds and no judges scorecards for any decision by the way?

And why can't you wear colour shorts like green for Ireland, lots of little niggles need to be ironed out but I'd say they'll get there. 45 minutes!

Happy UFC 4 everyone.

Great ****ing start!! Straight into ranked online, WW, picked Tony and finished Jorge in a minute. Managed to take his back, jump up on his back and finished the rnc. Watching it back, it's like as if we both got our bar to the top at the same time, didn't realise how close it was.

Then in my first defense, pulled off an iminari roll but against another Tony, his sub defense was too good. Finished him with strikes in the 2nd and got the online trophy. ****ing beaming.

Wish they started a new season for full release. I'm 10-2

• Advertisement

Great ****ing start!! Straight into ranked online, WW, picked Tony and finished Jorge in a minute. Managed to take his back, jump up on his back and finished the rnc. Watching it back, it's like as if we both got our bar to the top at the same time, didn't realise how close it was.

Then in my first defense, pulled off an iminari roll but against another Tony, his sub defense was too good. Finished him with strikes in the 2nd and got the online trophy. ****ing beaming.

That is so sweet nice one!

Advertisement