Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA UFC 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

From a dev Skynet on OS forum :)

"Dear Skynet, is it possible to tell us when we can expect a decent finish the fight system, tko sequences and that weird animation in the gnp when the fighter receives a ko will be fixed?"

Gather around children, let me tell you a quick story...

A looong loong time ago, in the world of UFC 2, there were had ragdoll KOs. People loved em, even though they looked pretty screwy sometimes. Guys flipping over, guys bending in half, guys with ankles at all weird angles, guys pretending to be helicopters, the advent of the 'mummy guard' and "incredible flexibility of the bones, Joe"...good times. But once a guy was KO'd, you could never jump on top of him. If someone got knocked down, they'd always recover before you could drop a fist on their face. The people.... oh the people they were upset. The forums had their pitch forks out for this one...

So we made a bunch of technical changes and innovations that would allow us to get the two fighters to interact properly, without limbs exploding everywhere or clipping through each other. With one fighter's fist actually finding the other fighter's face. And we let people dive onto their near-deceased opponent to hasten them to the grave. Sadly, the cost of this was that the downed opponent would have to eventually assume one of a number of pre-determined positions so that animations would allow the two to interact. So we kept as much ragdoll as we could, for as long as we could, before transitioning slowly into one of said positions. A marvel of technology and science. And for this, the people praised us... "Finally! My fist of fury can pummel my defeated opponent for yet a few more brutal seconds!" they cried. "We're so grateful you listed to us!" they exclaimed...

And then, time passed. And the people forgot the greener grass they had been led to. And they demanded ragdolls "Like the good ol' days". "Why did you take this away from me?!" they asked. "How could the world have come to this..." they bemoaned. LITTLE DID THEY KNOW, THEY DAMN WELL ASKED FOR IT.

SO.

When are you getting a decent finish the fight, you ask? I'd say you've got one of the best ones ever created in a virtual simulation of MMA that's ever been done. I think that's pretty decent.

However, we don't much care for torches and pitchforks, so we're hoping to make it even better. Though I do not know precisely when. Sadly, my todo list doesn't have dates on it.

What's the overall developer sentiment on stamina in UFC 4? I know few of the game changers are heavily against a bigger stamina tax because they think it'll make the game "boring" since throwing a ton of strikes would be penalized."

Most developers likely don't know it's a thing, because they're busy in their little caves. Busy working on the many wonders yet to be seen by the outside world.

HOWEVER! Those in the know, know. And for the most part we agree that stamina is draining too slowly. Most of the game changers agree, more tax for the tax man! But we must be mindful not to overdo it, as different playstyles can in fact drain considerable amount of stamina against a similarly matched opponent.

One big thing most people probably don't recall or notice is that basic core strikes have a stamina floor, where throwing them at low stamina eventually falls off draining more. So you can throw a few hundred jabs without hitting 0, but you sure as heck couldn't spam a few hundred overhands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just picked it up in Argos.

Haven’t played a UFC game since Undisputed 3 on the PS3!

Looking forward to getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is work finished yet....

Looking forward to getting into this later seeing as I didn't go near the early access said id wait! :P

I take it you still have to use the generic crap music for your fighter in career mode ya?

Used to love in the Wrestling games years ago that you could add in your own songs into the game.

Is work finished yet....

Looking forward to getting into this later seeing as I didn't go near the early access said id wait! :P

I take it you still have to use the generic crap music for your fighter in career mode ya?

Used to love in the Wrestling games years ago that you could add in your own songs into the game.

Loads of songs, mostly generic crap but any song from the soundtrack also which is mostly shyte. Some specific songs in there though like Khabib's walkout song.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Loads of songs, mostly generic crap but any song from the soundtrack also which is mostly shyte. Some specific songs in there though like Khabib's walkout song.

I take it the soundtrack is the usual stuff rappy rnb or whatever the kids are calling it these days kinda gick ya? :pac:

Id love to be able to add your own audio!

• Advertisement

I take it the soundtrack is the usual stuff rappy rnb or whatever the kids are calling it these days kinda gick ya? :pac:

Id love to be able to add your own audio!

Yupp, all rap which is weird, should have been at least half rock but the kids these days like their Machine Gun Kelly.

Rap is my favourite music but this soundtrack is fairly cat.

Yupp, all rap which is weird, should have been at least half rock but the kids these days like their Machine Gun Kelly.

Rap is my favourite music but this soundtrack is fairly cat.

Ah well!! :P

The small things sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I mean since we are Irish arent we all automatically using the Fiddlers Chorus or whatever its called...generic Irish fiddley Idle music..I know I picked it anyways :pac:

Nice finish in the video Zero - he must have thought he was just about to escape at the end it was that close.

Started a new career last night on release, I decided to go with a boxer again though. Having played on my first ea access as a boxer and then on the second as a BJJ guy I just thought the upgrading a BJJ to have decent standup was too slow and I personallly was gonna struggle finishing fights if I had to rely on trying to wear them down and get the sub every time knowing my fighter wasn't gonna be good enough to knock them out. Add to that the majority of fighters I seemed to come up against in career during the early access were boxer/kickboxer so I was gonna need a chin. Started this time on Hard difficulty..still LW and turned down the Contender offer to go the WFA rourte first.

It was good to have the early access to get used to the training again since it was so long since id played career in UFC3 and I feel now I can have a proper go at the career. I would probably advise anyone picking it up maybe to do a quick 'test' career on easy and go through a few fights and camps just to get familiar with it and see what fight style you like and then start a new career once you know what you are doing, otherwise it just becomes a frustrating process trying to learn as you go.

Is anyone having any look on the promotion where you post a live stream to social media - anytime I do it I never seem to get huge numbers or decent rewards after it and the coaches comments make t sound like it was a mediocre result. I have started avoiding doing them as the cost does not merit the reward, at least when I am doing them right now..must be somethng I am missing to really make t work for you.

Only played a few hours last night so didnt try anything else out but I assume the day one updates didnt do anythng major or improve anything drastic?

HA yeah " The Celtic something or other" is my walkout, deedle-ee-i music :) i also got the shamrock mouthguard and the tricolour shorts with a Celtic arm sleeve just in case anyone didn't know I'm Irish...

Started a new career on hard, bjj guy again, turned down contender and currently 3-0 in WFA. I'm loving it. Each fight camp is important as I'm using all sparring available to become an all rounder mma archetype. Keeping it standing in fights but mostly subbing them on the ground, proper Diaz build. I watched a YouTuber try the streaming promotion but he ended up with less hype because it didn't go too well so i haven't tried it yet. I'm having more trouble with my sparring partners than actual fights because their AI is really dumb.

There is a new patch releasing in a day or 2 according to devs but don't know what it does yet.

Also Bollox how fury and Joshua were pre order bonus and now they're free to everyone for the next week.

I'm really enjoying it but they badly need to add new mode to have any longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Haven’t gotten the chance to start it yet, any sign of Live Events being patched in yet? It’s a killer for replayability if they don’t add it in.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Haven’t gotten the chance to start it yet, any sign of Live Events being patched in yet? It’s a killer for replayability if they don’t add it in.

No word yet but you'd think they would as it's a big fight, would get a lot of people picking it up if they marketed a live event along with release. Maybe they're just keeping quiet and will add it tomorrow but it's looking doubtful.

This guy is thinking on another level to the rest of us :pac:

y5WfP5r.jpg

What a charming username as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Anyone for a fight?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

HA yeah " The Celtic something or other" is my walkout, deedle-ee-i music :) i also got the shamrock mouthguard and the tricolour shorts with a Celtic arm sleeve just in case anyone didn't know I'm Irish...

Ha yeah I have a few celtic tattos and my rash guard is a green one I bought that looks like an Irish rugby top, must pick up the tri colour shorts to complete the look. I called him Seamus Van Buren just to mix it up a bit though instead of going with Murphy or something generic like that :D
    This guy is thinking on another level to the rest of us :pac:

What a charming username as well.

The fake bruises are genius! :D - I was tempted to do a viking looking dude when I started this time and didn't but I might have to revisit that idea if I play through the career again.

Got bate up and down the road by Stephenl but in my defense... I had a bruised foot :)

Went back to wfa and was wrecking people again, felt good. Sparring partners ai needs tweaking though. They are trying to kill me, not help me improve. Some moves are really slow to level up and then some don't at all. Finished my last fight in 1st round with inverted triangle and for 0 evolution points. Doesn't make sense. Also, I'm ranked 9 and my next opponent offered was NR. I declined and offered guy ranked 8 but got a message saying boss won't be happy with me declining and have no declines left. They make it out declines are due to being afraid to fight an opponent instead of the reality deserving to fight someone better. I get what they're trying to do but sloppy execution.

On the positive side, I'm absolutely loving my bjj phenom. Feel like I'm piecing guys up from everywhere yet still improving my standup every fight, very satisfying.

As for challenges, theres some new ones added. UFC 252 where you have to complete 1 challenge to unlock the next and work your way through. Some rewards are specific to the card like a DC or Stipe player card or avatar. Challenges not interesting enough to make me go through the list though.

Played career for a couple of hours but feel like I am repeating myself with how I went about playing in Ufc 3. Might start a new one tomorrow and change up the look and style of the fighter.

Saying that I much prefer standing and punching/kicking instead of being on the ground.

I only played a little bit of it but I feel the weeks leading up to the fight played out better in the previous game. I think it doesn't help that I keep knocking out my sparring partners :pac:

Is that on normal? Bump it up to hard and you will have the same problem Zero mentioned that the feckers go too hard and end up damaging you during a sparing session. I have become a bit vindictive towards them now and if they do damage I go spar with them on the last session before the fight and batter them around the place since I wont need them anymore preparing for the fight.

Such an annoying sequence of events in career..in WFA and im rank 11..i get offered the rank 15 fight and decline it, get offered the number 6 and of course take it. Get told off like Zero mentioned above but im like whatever I got a better fight offer. Dominate the fight and win and move to the next offer..i get offered the number 11 fighter..i decline and get offered the number 15 which i have to take. Go to sparring..doing boxing and its just block strikes..easy to do. After the 5 blocks are done in laying into the opponent and next minute he clocks me with an uppercut and does permanent damage..doctors examine me and say I cant take the fight...fuuc**sss sake

Got the WFA title after 8 fights, had turned down the UFC twice at that stage. 2 defences of my title and my 3rd lined up and waiting for the UFC to come knocking again. Stand up is pretty solid now so trying to work on my caf’s wrestling and bjj, unlocked the anaconda choke from an invite a fighter so will hopefully get to lock that in at some stage! Enjoying it but I am sure once I eventually get GOAT status then the appeal of career will quickly vanish and it will be a challenge to see if the rest of the game can keep me entertained.

Yeah I've already accepted this is something I'll only dip in and out of after i get platinum unless they add a new mode. Although i have to win blitz before that which might be a challenge. EA seem to be stuck in a career loop where they add tiny things but make them out to be big changes like fighter relationships. Be nice or bad, bar goes up or down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Steep learning curve to say the least.

Anyone any tips or videos to watch to help me not suck as badly please.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Steep learning curve to say the least.

Anyone any tips or videos to watch to help me not suck as badly please.

Some basics here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMHK30AMzZoXEAhfhN9fkfMD4VxpLL42e

Mix of basic and advanced ones here. Will worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96tFqobqBCEPBJ6YZfV41w

Won the Blitz Battle on Day 2, fcuking delighted! :D

Won the Blitz Battle on Day 2, fcuking delighted! :D

Nice man! What mode? Any tips? I'll be giving it a go tonight.

Nice man! What mode? Any tips? I'll be giving it a go tonight.

It was the 1 min fights in men’s bantamweight. Used Cejudo and won the first by submission, followed by five decisions (including two very lucky ones). Landed a few strikes first and did some damage, backed up and then took them all down and rained the GNP.

I tried it a few times with guys like Garbrandt, O’Malley and Aldo but kept getting wrestled into defeat. Sadly it’s the only way to win unless you can stuff every takedown, but I don’t even care now that I got the trophy. :D

Awesome will try that tonight.

Heading down to me mates to watch the fights on later so gonna play a bit of this before hand. I haven't played a ufc game against actual people in couple of years so should be bit of crack! Ha.

Curious to see how the game plays out not fighting the computer.

Heading down to me mates to watch the fights on later so gonna play a bit of this before hand. I haven't played a ufc game against actual people in couple of years so should be bit of crack! Ha.

Curious to see how the game plays out not fighting the computer.

If you're in ps4, give me an add zero-cool-ire or throw your psn up here, always good to have some friendly scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Lost the final. Robbed too. Maybe I was too afraid of the takedown and didn't throw enough but feel I defo did more damage and stuffed a takedown.

Judging in blitz battles is a joke

• Advertisement

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Lost the final. Robbed too. Maybe I was too afraid of the takedown and didn't throw enough but feel I defo did more damage and stuffed a takedown.

Judging in blitz battles is a joke

It definitely is. Today I actually benefited from that for once, but it’s so frustrating to dominate a fight and still be afraid of getting the L, it happens too often.

Advertisement