Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jlm29 wrote:
    I’m a bit of a technophobe, but trying to convince myself I wouldn’t miss sky if I cancelled it and bought a firestick. Much of what we watch is on Netflix anyhow. There are a few stumbling blocks in my head though! does anyone know if discovery plus is available here? Could I get it through a firestick? What about MTV, is there any way to watch the absolute drivel that’s on mtv If I’ve no sky? (That one isbt a deal breaker to be fair, I’d be better off if I wasn’t watching that anyhow ).

Had Sky since 1992 or so. I was paying over 1200 per year & I didn't even have sports! It wasn't that I couldn't afford it, I just couldn't justify it. Plain robbery imo.

I have now tv. With this I can watch Sky movies and boxes sets if I want. It comes in monthly passes. I use a month of Sky and move to HBO and on to Showtime. Add in the odd month of Apple plus TV and Disney. I always have netflix and prime. I also have iplayer and all of the free streaming apps. I have everything I could possibly want for far less than half of the price of sky

Discovery is a new streaming app that might suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    I have my VPN set to UK however I keep getting this message when trying to use ITV hub "itv hub detected outside uk".

Any suggestions?

Has ITV ever worked for you?
    Is this a new problem?
    Have you got an ITV hub account?

What VPN are you using?
    Are you able to choose a different server with that VPN? Is so try that and see if it resolves the problem.

Each time you try a different server make sure to close the ITV Hub app fully in settings (Force Stop) and clear the cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Trevord wrote: »
    Has ITV ever worked for you?
    Is this a new problem?
    Have you got an ITV hub account?

What VPN are you using?
    Are you able to choose a different server with that VPN? Is so try that and see if it resolves the problem.

Each time you try a different server make sure to close the ITV Hub app fully in settings (Force Stop) and clear the cache.

I have never tried using itv hub before.
    I am using digibit VPN.
    Channel 5 On Demand works fine.

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    I have never tried using itv hub before.
    I am using digibit VPN.
    Channel 5 On Demand works fine.

I haven't heard of digibit VPN before.

The fact that your VPN it might work with one TV app is not necessarily an indicator that it would work with another.

If they have more than one server for UK you could try those to see how you get on.

The first thing I would try to do is to set up an ITV hub user account and you should use a vpn for that. See how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's a big difference between sky and a firestick. I'd suggest you also get a freesat box to connect to the sat wires (or use your old sky box) for things like live matches etc.
    But if your viewing is primarily netflix and discovery, then they are just apps on the firestick. I don't know about discovery plus but their website says you can.
    MTV, i don't know.

Thanks! Ah yeah, I know there’s a big difference, but we’re watching so little on sky anymore that I’m starting to think we don’t really need it. I doubt there’s been a live match watched on our tv in the last 5 years, so that wouldn’t be an issue. My husband And son mainly watch discovery, so I’d like to make sure we can watch that somehow before I cancel sky, as much as we don’t watch much on sky, the things we do watch we like to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

jlm29 wrote: »
    Thanks! Ah yeah, I know there’s a big difference, but we’re watching so little on sky anymore that I’m starting to think we don’t really need it. I doubt there’s been a live match watched on our tv in the last 5 years, so that wouldn’t be an issue. My husband And son mainly watch discovery, so I’d like to make sure we can watch that somehow before I cancel sky, as much as we don’t watch much on sky, the things we do watch we like to watch!

You might need a VPN running for some things like discovery but that's a minor hurdle.
    With that, netflix, ssports plus and the UK players, you'll be wanting for very little

TheDriver wrote: »
    You might need a VPN running for some things like discovery but that's a minor hurdle.
    With that, netflix, ssports plus and the UK players, you'll be wanting for very little

As I said previously I haven’t a notion about all this, I did think I’d pledged an oath of allegiance to sky, and I’d never be without :D.
    A friend told me the other day that they got a firestick and pay someone every year for some service relating to it- would that be to do with a VPN? I’ve no issue paying for things I use, but at the minute I’m paying €42 per month to sky, and we’re watching a very nominal amount of stuff on it

For anyone with Peacock sideloaded................

Got message today when I opened Peacock saying app needed an upgrade and existing version I had no longer worked. Tanya's latest version didn't do the job either.

Found a working version over on firesticktricks.com

As an aside, seems like NBC are making more of an effort to block vpns.

As I said previously I haven’t a notion about all this, I did think I’d pledged an oath of allegiance to sky, and I’d never be without :D.
    A friend told me the other day that they got a firestick and pay someone every year for some service relating to it- would that be to do with a VPN? I’ve no issue paying for things I use, but at the minute I’m paying €42 per month to sky, and we’re watching a very nominal amount of stuff on it

I suspect the annual fee could be a service that's effectively illegal iptv and we don't talk about here.
    VPN is an app, you turn it on or not. Then UK or US apps work. Nowtv is an app on firestick.
    Tvplayer has live UK channels which us easier than going to each channel app.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I’m a bit of a technophobe, but trying to convince myself I wouldn’t miss sky if I cancelled it and bought a firestick. Much of what we watch is on Netflix anyhow. There are a few stumbling blocks in my head though!
    does anyone know if discovery plus is available here? Could I get it through a firestick?
    What about MTV, is there any way to watch the absolute drivel that’s on mtv If I’ve no sky? (That one isbt a deal breaker to be fair, I’d be better off if I wasn’t watching that anyhow :D).

Firestick has the official DiscoveryPlus app in the Amazon app store - no sideloading or vpns required. 1yr is 60euro. DiscoveryPlus was officially launched for UK/IE in Jan I think. If you are a skyQ user I believe you get 1year free access so you can test it out.

• Advertisement

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Firestick has the official DiscoveryPlus app in the Amazon app store - no sideloading or vpns required. 1yr is 60euro. DiscoveryPlus was officially launched for UK/IE in Jan I think. If you are a skyQ user I believe you get 1year free access so you can test it out.

Thank you, this is very helpful, especially for someone like me who needs a bit of time to figure out what a VPN is :):)
    I’m going to go for it and cancel sky. I’ve reserved a firestick in Argos. The worst thing that will happen is I’ll regret it for a few days while I wait for sky to be reconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Thank you, this is very helpful, especially for someone like me who needs a bit of time to figure out what a VPN is :):)
    I’m going to go for it and cancel sky. I’ve reserved a firestick in Argos. The worst thing that will happen is I’ll regret it for a few days while I wait for sky to be reconnected.

Which stick did you reserve - if not the 4k at least get the 2020 sticks.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Which stick did you reserve - if not the 4k at least get the 2020 sticks.

It’s a 2020 fire tv stick lite. Maybe I should look elsewhere for the 4K, it was the only one they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

boardtc wrote: »
    Then it looks for my amazon prime pin, and it's looking for a 5 digit pin. I even went to the URL it mentions (well it says .com), amazon.co.uk/pin and reset my 4 digit pin, bizarre, so I can't install.... does anyone know what's going on?

I figured a bunch of things out since, ymmv:
    • After coming off the Eir offer €5.99 is added onto your Eir bill
    • https://www.primevideo.com/settings/your-account/ shows "Your Prime Video subscription is activated through your eir plan. You can make changes to your subscription through eir."
    • Once Amazon set your country details to ireland, you have a 5 digit pin if you use parental control rather than a 4 digit one
    • The pin can be updated via primevideo.com/pin
    • You can watch on the firestick only though the prime video app

I tried the F1 TV app, Christ it's dreadful. TV3 catch up comes to mind.
    Just shows how good the ssports plus app is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

How are people paying for Smart DNS?

I see there's a lifetime sub for $200, or if you pay for a year or two years up front it's a bit cheaper than the monthly options.

Is it very reliable? I don't wanna pay up front for something that doesn't work or works intermittently.

I've heard and read good things about it though.

I'm using keepsolid at the moment and its hit and miss for iPlayer

JCDUB wrote: »

I see there's a lifetime sub for $200, or if you pay for a year or two years up front it's a bit cheaper than the monthly options.

Is it very reliable? I don't wanna pay up front for something that doesn't work or works intermittently.

iPlayer is a tricky one and lots of Vpns have issues with it. A lot of the time, I find it's the iPlayer is acting up rather than VPN.

JCDUB wrote:
    Had a lifetime getflix but now have 12 months smart dns proxy
    JCDUB wrote:

I use Smart dns Proxy and rarely have buffering issues with iplayer. It works fine on UK NOW TV, UK Prime Video etc. Works well for hbomax, Hulu and showtime

I had getflix but that struggled with iplayer.

I tried Smart DNS Proxy but their support said ii was not compatible with the Eir eir F2000 modem. I have since been upgraded to the EIR efibre box 1A 1.0, but haven't tried it with that, has anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€15 approx per year for SmartDNSProxy - works 99% of the time with the iPlayer.
    I have the DNS setting statically configured on my Firesticks. On the couple of occasions I've had to contact them, they've been very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

$20 a year is how I pay. That's for nothing as is imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Damn, looks like mobdro is gone for good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Damn, looks like mobdro is gone for good. :(

Gone due to legal proceedings.

Can't talk about apps like that on boards

I see CBS access all areas is becoming Paramount+ on 4th March and they are giving 50% off on annual plans using PARAMOUNTPLUS as promo code.
    Does anyone have this service, is it any good and is there many ads if you go for the "with ads" plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads, have a new philips tv and fire stick. Both work great. The remotes are doing my head in. If I use the fire stick for a while the tv remote stops working, so I can't return to the actual tv menu. Then the only thing I can do with the fire stick remote is go home, no volume etc..

I have to unplug tv and take batteries out of remote, then the tv remote works for a while, then as soon as I use the fire stick, same thing happens??

Any help??

TheDriver wrote:
    I see CBS access all areas is becoming Paramount+ on 4th March and they are giving 50% off on annual plans using PARAMOUNTPLUS as promo code. Does anyone have this service, is it any good and is there many ads if you go for the "with ads" plan?

I don't have it yet but downloaded the app. You can go into the app to see what type of content they have. The only unique thing I saw that interests me is The Stand by Stephen King. I can see myself getting this for a month, maybe 3 months of the year. Can't imagine I'd have it every month

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't have it yet but downloaded the app. You can go into the app to see what type of content they have. The only unique thing I saw that interests me is The Stand by Stephen King. I can see myself getting this for a month, maybe 3 months of the year. Can't imagine I'd have it every month
    I tried doing the promo code etc but like SSports Plus, you need a US card. Only way to pay is via google play again and it'll only allow a full price monthly sub. Still tho, $6 a month isn't bad.
    I did look through the catalogue and you're right, it looks great but I don't know would i watch much of it.

I'm sure someone has done the research!
    I'm not subscribed to Disney+. Can I subscribe just to their new Star service beginning Tuesday Feb 23rd for a month and watch on the firestick? I fancy watching Big Sky.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

boardtc wrote:
    I'm sure someone has done the research! I'm not subscribed to Disney+. Can I subscribe just to their new Star service beginning Tuesday Feb 23rd for a month and watch on the firestick? I fancy watching Big Sky.

No but you can subscribe to Disney plus for a month & get Star for free

Advertisement