Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No but you can subscribe to Disney plus for a month & get Star for free

Kinda for free - they are increasing the price from €6.99 to €8.99 pm next week for new customers. Price increase for existing monthly customers is in Aug. If you signup for a year now you can bypass the price increase till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Silly q time.

Is there any point in buying an amazon firestick if you plan on buying a ‘new’ tv in the next year or so.

i.e. will the newer type TV offer the same options as the firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

obi604 wrote: »
    Silly q time.

Is there any point in buying an amazon firestick if you plan on buying a ‘new’ tv in the next year or so.

Unless the TV is going to be an android TV, you'll still need a firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Silly q time.

I have a new TV and still use firestick. TV would be grand for Netflix and prime but it's the other things like VPNs and other TV providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Silly q time.

When you buy a smart tv it just gets dumber every day - after a year or two you run into problems as they stop updating or supporting apps. I had a newish tv but it didn't support Disney+ just when first lockdown hit and had kids it was perfect for...so bought a firestick. Buy a tv for its screen or maybe its sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Just finishing messing with a firestick lite I got for my father in law initially but daughter has nabbed it. For under twenty quid when I got it (I think anyway) pre Christmas, it's a bargain.

Not a sign of Amazon at all once it's booted up, Wolf launcher set up and looks great, Netflix, Disney plus and a few other streaming apps, legal and less so and it's working better than I expected tbh. Haven't bothered with IPTV or apps that need VPN because with all the "other" apps there's really no need.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    When you buy a smart tv it just gets dumber every day - after a year or two you run into problems as they stop updating or supporting apps. I had a newish tv but it didn't support Disney+ just when first lockdown hit and had kids it was perfect for...so bought a firestick. Buy a tv for its screen or maybe its sound.

Thanks. So a firestick is a valid purchase then, even with a ‘smart’ tv

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Looking for a cheap OTG cable for the firestick 4k, Anyone want to sell me one or know where i can find a cheap one, will amazon.co.uk charge me extra cause of Brexit ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

settopbox wrote: »
    Looking for a cheap OTG cable for the firestick 4k, Anyone want to sell me one or know where i can find a cheap one, will amazon.co.uk charge me extra cause of Brexit ?

Thanks

Less than €22 so you should be okay is my rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Thanks

Ebay or Harvey Norman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks
    I bough one back in November on Ebay and had it within a few days. It was about €5.50 at the time but I see its a wee bit dearer now. Link to item

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Silly q time.

I have a 4k smart tv and a Firestick 4k.

I was using the stick for iPlayer and UK Prime (since Brexit).

Watching Disney+ on the tv would result in some juddering on some panning shots or fast moving scenes. The tv is using Ethernet.

I tried a few settings on the tv but it still didn't sort it. On the Firestick it's much better and that's on wifi.

Wheety wrote: »
    I have a 4k smart tv and a Firestick 4k.

I was using the stick for iPlayer and UK Prime (since Brexit).

Watching Disney+ on the tv would result in some juddering on some panning shots or fast moving scenes. The tv is using Ethernet.

I tried a few settings on the tv but it still didn't sort it. On the Firestick it's much better and that's on wifi.

Ok, good to know, so the firestick won’t be a wasted investment then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ok, good to know, so the firestick won’t be a wasted investment then.

I think they just have a better processer and RAM for streaming. My tv isn't even that old. It's also a lot cheaper to replace the Firestick in a couple of generations if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

I have Getflix setup on my Firestick and now Disney+ says "it looks like you're traveling" when I login and I don't have access to Star. Are there any Getflix users who can tell me if I can I do something in Getflix to change this?

Is it possible to play the Turkish SSports+ app/apk off the fire stick? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks

Is it just the basic OTG cable you want or the network one? I got a network one today so now have a spare basic one.

If you want it, just PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mossie wrote:
    I have Getflix setup on my Firestick and now Disney+ says "it looks like you're traveling" when I login and I don't have access to Star. Are there any Getflix users who can tell me if I can I do something in Getflix to change this?

Getflix is permanently stuck on US Disney plus. Everyone should get on to getflix customer services to push them into fixing the issue. In the meantime if you can disable getflix and use Irish disney plus. Star has a pretty good lineup. Some movies are in 4k hdr

Getflix is permanently stuck on US Disney plus. Everyone should get on to getflix customer services to push them into fixing the issue. In the meantime if you can disable getflix and use Irish disney plus. Star has a pretty good lineup. Some movies are in 4k hdr

Thanks. I'll drop them an email but I asked them something before and they weren't too helpful.

mossie wrote:
    Thanks. I'll drop them an email but I asked them something before and they weren't too helpful.

The more complaints the quicker they will act. It didn't matter before because US & International content was almost identical. They must be swamped with complaints today when people realised that they can't access Star

• Advertisement

The more complaints the quicker they will act. It didn't matter before because US & International content was almost identical. They must be swamped with complaints today when people realised that they can't access Star

Hopefully they'll do something. I'm very pleased with Getflix apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is it possible to play the Turkish SSports+ app/apk off the fire stick? Thanks.

Yes but you will need a subscription to to be able to watch.

Trevord wrote: »
    Yes but you will need a subscription to to be able to watch.

I have the sub, and normally watch it cast to Chromecast, I was just wondering if there is an app available for the firestick as I couldn't find one earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Apologies if this is buried somewhere in the 96 pages, but has anyone a foolproof method of loading the itv or bbc players?

Loaded the bbc one, but won't play anything, and the itv app I found on apkpure says not recognised or not suitable for device or something. Have a vpn set to uk.

Apologies if this is buried somewhere in the 96 pages, but has anyone a foolproof method of loading the itv or bbc players?

Change firestick location to the UK. You will now have access to the UK apps on amazon. Download what you want. Repeat for US apps. When you have the apps you required set location back to Ireland. The apps stay on the firestick no matter what county you are in. These are genuine firestick apps so will automatically update as time goes on

This is different to setting prime video content to UK. This is just setting firestick address to UK for 20 minutes or so

https://playmo.tv/2017/03/how-to-install-apps-from-different-regions-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I have the sub, and normally watch it cast to Chromecast, I was just wondering if there is an app available for the firestick as I couldn't find one earlier.
    Go to the instructions on bargain alerts thread. You use downloader app to get the APK on the firestick. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Change firestick location to the UK. You will now have access to the UK apps on amazon. Download what you want. Repeat for US apps. When you have the apps you required set location back to Ireland. The apps stay on the firestick no matter what county you are in. These are genuine firestick apps so will automatically update as time goes on

This is different to setting prime video content to UK. This is just setting firestick address to UK for 20 minutes or so

https://playmo.tv/2017/03/how-to-install-apps-from-different-regions-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

It’s that easy?? I’ll try it tomorrow and report back! Cheers

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    It’s that easy?? I’ll try it tomorrow and report back! Cheers
    Make sure it's device settings rather than account location. Also ensure you sync your account on firestick, maybe even restart. You may need to also run the Vpn

Should I buy a Firestick or a Chromecast with Google TV ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Should I buy a Firestick or a Chromecast with Google TV ?

It's down to price and personal preference. The Chromecast is generally more expensive. Having recently bought an Android TV I have to say I much prefer the user interface and you have access to the full Google play store rather than just the Amazon app store.

If you plan on using BBC / Itv players they're much easier to get on the firestick however.

Advertisement