Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sssh larbre is an expert in everything he isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It absolutely is correct.

Road Traffic Acts, 1968-2016, as amended.

A Road Authority (in this case the OPW) in exercise of the powers conferred on it by Section 9 of the Road Traffic Act 2004 (No. 44 of 2004), as amended by Section 86 of the Road Traffic Act 2010 (No.25 of 2010), and Section 22 of the Road Traffic Act 2016 (No. 21 of 2016) and following consultation with An Garda Síochána, may make (speed limits) bye-laws in respect of the area comprising the administrative area.

Phoenix Park Act, 1925, as amended.

Section 4, Phoenix Park Bye-laws, 1926, as amended.

If you have evidence to the contrary of the process for making statutory speed limits, and the approval necessary from the Garda Commissioner (or his delegate) and the preserved role of enforcement by An Garda Siochána, as sole Traffic Authority of the State, lets have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The evidence is in that text you quoted.

"Consultation with" is not the same as "has to have the approval of"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

These threads are very flat earther.

I've spent 30 years building new developments.

In all that time, I've liaised with City and County Councils on the engineered design for the road network of them and appropriate speed limits. That has involved the local Traffic Consultation group, consisting of the Area Planner, the Area Traffic Engineer from the Council and the Divisional Garda Roads Policing Inspector (or his delegate of rank no lower than Sergeant).

You can take it from me (or don't, I couldn't give a ****), if the Gardaí don't like a proposed limit, for any reason, such as being unenforceable or otherwise inappropriate, it DOES NOT happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not sure what to say to this tbh.

You originally said

has to have a statutory basis and it has to have the approval of the Guards as Traffic Authority of the State.

This isn't true. It just isn't and you cited chapter and verse disproving your own argument.

I don't know why you're so angry but I don't think it changes much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HMS Erebus

Just popped in to see what this was all about and it seems to be this gentleman ranting about the junior Government party like they were the illuminati. No evidence to support any of this, I live in Castleknock and I’m not remotely inconvenienced, in fact the park is a delight lately, the fewer cars the better and they can go at walking speed for all I care

Shocker, person that lives in Castleknock doesn't want cars in the park.

What if you lived further away and enjoyed the park but couldn't get there without a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Any nobody will deny that new developments in the last 30 years have been pretty poor for a whole variety of reasons, particular in terms of sustainable transport.

So your declaration will hold little sway if it's a way for you to try claim you know what you're talking about.

I was in the park over the weekend, and it was a delight. Car didn't combust due to the low speeds either.

What a silly argument, you can still drive into and through the park

Also, driving at safe speeds is not discriminatory against those not living in Castleknock, despite Laber's claims

• Advertisement

Says it all really.

Costello contending that because traffic travels closer to 50 than that pilot limit of 30, the Avenue resembles a motorway, makes him sound a complete moron.

Its shyte like this that puts people off the Green Party's agenda. Rather than want to bring people along, they prefer to preach at them for breathing.

Ryan's pending announcement of carbon targets that will savage business and agriculture just at the time its already being pummelled every which way, could well sound the death knell of Green Party public representation. Again.

There are some simple solutions and some not-so-simple solutions if the objective is to make the park a safe place for all users and not just a through road.

Going from easiest to most complex

• Remove through traffic completely
    • Add avg speed cameras at several points at the beginning / end of stretches of road
    • Lay a blast of speed ramps down every 20-30 meters
    • Re-engineer the road to make it physically impossible to drive above 30kph (chicanes, curves, lights, bumps, etc etc).

I'm sure there's others but personally I'd go with option #1 and it could be done within a day.

There are so many silly horses in this race I was just addressing the one about everyone in Castleknock being inundated by cars parking in the locality because of reduced parking in the park - I live beside the park and I’ve had zero issues.

There are multiple parking options, generous available spaces and complete access. Funny that people say they can’t walk in the park but then are unwilling to walk from a designated car park.

..and we are back to square one...

On the day of record breaking temperatures (ironically recorded in the park) you’re banging on about the Green Party and carbon targets - self awareness isn’t your strong suit - it’s not Eamon Ryan that sounds like a moron.

Agreed - I’d go with option 1 but anything really would be a help.

I’m a car person but Christ the gig is up, we have to change, more of the is just not sustainable.

25c at 10:30pm is as good a reason as any for less cars

they still get my vote. We need them in government now more than ever

How the hell do you propose to improve the bus service to and within the Park with that mess?

Speed cameras and ramps and chicanes, on the finest Grand Avenue in the Country. Jesus wept man. The effin Army of plastic bollards are pollution enough.

That would be the bus that won't fit though the gates that's they won't change because they are old and just refurbished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It looked so much grander with the parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think the best way to improve safety in the Phoenix Park is to introduce regular raised zebra crossings and some raised tables at junctions. Will facilitate safer crossing points AND slow down cars.

I agree.

But it also assumes there's a problem with safety. Not seen any stats to suggest there is. Other than high speed argument. Again it's a park so low speed limit seems appropriate and a good compromise to stopping through traffic. If it was enforced. Which it isn't. So therefore physical speed calming seems apt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a bit of chicken and egg with the safety issue; perhaps there's not much of an issue with safety due to pedestrians avoiding the main avenue (with the exception of the zoo) because of the cars, as it's not the most pleasant place to walk in the park as a result of them.

but then again, it wouldn't be the most pleasant place in the park to walk anyway, even without the cars; there's more interesting places to walk than along the main avenue.

I think people like the avenue because its measurable distance, walk to the phoenix and back. It used to be easy to park beside.

I think 50 is a bit slow myself. Went through twice this morning was behind a learner and a coach all doing 40 ish.

just out of curiosity, i decided to check how long it takes to get from castleknock through the city centre at the moment, and rather arbitrarily chose castleknock railway station as the origin and the convention centre as the destination.

google maps says 30mins to drive 10.7km (navan road to phibsboro, then down gardiner street); 33mins to cycle 10.2km through the park and down the quays (or 35mins to go along the canal the whole way, 10.5km) or 35 mins to get the train and walk from connolly. with the latter, i've not built in any time to get to the train station so that could easily be 15 mins longer. that 35 minutes is total travel time, it does not factor in waiting at home 15 minutes, say, so as not to be left waiting at the station, in their calculation the clock starts as soon as the train arrives.

obviously, rush hour would make the situation look better for cyclists as their travel time would not be as badly affected by rush hour.

The problem with driving through the park is the the choke point of the gates. Then once you're out of the gates you're limited by the next set of lights or bottle neck be that the Quays or Castleknock. Its also inconsistent, depends on traffic conditions at that time on that day.

Getting the train or cycling is usually the same consistent time regardless of conditions. Slower on a windy day, but not by that much, as you have it with you at least one way.

For me my cycle was about 35~45 into town and about 45~60 mins home. 14k each way.

Train is about 40~60 mins door to door, sometime I've a folding bike and/or drive to the station.

Driving is randomly 40~75 mins. But I know all the rat runs and avoid peak. I go a weird way. But its getting slower with all the road changes and is becoming impractical.

Sometimes I cycle down the canal which is 50~60 mins but its a nice change. Nicer on the bike, but not always practical. Love to try it on a electric bike. been off it a while due to injury.

google maps simply won't plot a course through the park anymore if you choose the car as the transport mode, unless you specifically tell it you want to go through the park.

The only people who need that are people who don't know the area - tourists and out of town visitors. So well done whom ever did that.

Waze still works Castleknock to Point Village

20 minArrive at 12:31 PM
    BEST
    TOLL
    M50 N; M50 S Port Tunnel
    19.8 KM

25 minArrive at 12:36 PM
    R147 Navan Rd
    9.9 KM

32 minArrive at 12:43 PM
    Chesterfield Ave Phoenix Park
    9.9 KM

Obviously its skewed because I used Point Village and going via the park it stupidly goes up the quays. (you never go up the Quays).

• Advertisement

you'd use the north circular?

Advertisement