Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a working Park. A busy and bustling venue of employment and leisure attractions.

Not too many other Parks in Ireland and elsewhere that contain a Zoo, a Hospital, a School, a Police Headquarters and two formal working residences.

So it is a Park, but not just a Park and anyone trying to frame it in the context of other Parks, is being deliberately disingenuous, for reasons of having other agendae.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Any type of speed should be discourage in the park. We're not that long removed from a toddler being killed a few hundred metres from chesterfield avenue. 

From the news articles

"Ratra Triangle - driving at a speed of 80 kph, speed limit 50 kph, consumed a litre of vodka and two grams of cocaine, driving on the wrong side road also driving without insurance...pulling doughnuts and performing handbrake turns ... struck standing next to her mother Katarzyna’s parked car"

no reason to revert back to old speeds.

While an absolute tragedy. I don't see how this has anything to do with normal speed limits.

Who would be the best person to contact to voice dissatisfaction with the reduced speed limit?

Local TDs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You frame it as though there are 3000 people in there working all the time, when this is nonsense. They equally don't require any sort of constant throughput of 50 kmph traffic. Putting in a 30 kmph speed limit doesn't stop these people getting to work or stop zoo visitors getting there, or anyone getting to Ashtown castle. It reinforces that the park is a safer space though for pedestrians, families, dog walkers, runners, cyclists, people who arrive by other means and just explore.

The desires, which is all they are, not needs, of the person wishing to get from A to B as quickly as possible in their private vehicle should be last on any list. Perfectly reasonable ways to mitigate the extra few mins too

• Advertisement

The Minister of State for the OPW, Patrick O'Donovan (FG)

Local FF and FG and SF Councillors and TDs. Also Senator Emer Currie has been making big noise about it, she's based in Dublin West with Varadkar.

Anyone with a pulse, bar the Greens really.

Not as quickly as possible, as quickly as the previous speed limit allowed. There's no reason not to reinstate that limit.

Hardly no reason.

It's only a minor inconvenience anyway..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i suspect that if you get caught for a full cycle of the lights at the junction between tractamotors and the blanchardstown shopping centre, it'll cost you more time than the difference between 30 and 50 would in the park.

Paint dries quicker than the lights at that junction. No one uses that if they have any sense.

• Advertisement

Thats completely irrelevant.

And as anyone in the area knows, that whole junction is being upgraded as we speak to increase travel time through it.

i suspect you meant decrease travel time?

anyway, the point was that sitting at a traffic light for a minute or more is nothing really when driving in the suburbs or urbs. in the park, people get to drive a whole 4.2km between lights, and the speed limit change makes a difference of about 3 minutes.

i live on an R road in dublin, 50km/h limit. on a 4.2km stretch (equivalent to the length of chesterfield avenue) past my house, there are, at a minimum, 16 sets of traffic lights. at midnight, google maps is calculating that the average speed along that stretch would be 36km/h.

in short, i genuinely* don't understand the fuss from motorists who object to losing 3 minutes of their time. maybe because that's one of the highest speeds they could probably average anywhere within the canals in dublin, for that distance; and killjoys are taking that from them?

*white lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Oooo, the great Green scare raised by you yet again, oh the terror...

It might be just 3 mins in the park though.

But there are plenty of agenda's out there to have this nonsense speed limit applied to many other roads.

I've also seen talk of reducing speeds on motorways by a considerable amount.

What do you do when you already have a 75 minute commute and then you have to start adding on more and more time while the train in your town might come in in the 30s or so if you're lucky.

I for one will be opposing these nonsensical speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

New one yesterday evening cycling through the park at about 18:00, opposite the zoo a northern reg black car exited the road from the Lord's Walk car part and turned city bound on Chesterfield Avenue but actually inside the wands and on the cycle lane. Proceeded to then drive the few hundred meters on the separated cycle to exit at the roundabout. Presume it was an error rather than anything deliberate but shows how stupid people can be, cycle lane gets fairly narrow so some of the car would have been on grass to accomplish this driving feat.

And yet you can't make a coherent argument as to why they're nonsense, I'm probably right in guessing it's solely for selfish reasons, you find them an inconvenience, it's all about the motorist for you.

What I've done in the past (when I've had long commutes) is change jobs that to one that doesn't involve a daft commute.

That 3 mins has you so riled up, suggests it's not viable long term.

In fairness almost every post in this thread is only suiting themselves with daft arguments from both sides.

I already did. There was nothing wrong with the speed limit before and 30 is silly because you have to actively focus on driving that slow.

I've yet to see an argument on why it had to be changed other than safety although it wasn't unsafe before.

Becoming harder as more and more are forced into Meath, Kildare, Laois, Wicklow and even beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But there are plenty of agenda's out there to have this nonsense speed limit applied to many other roads.

I think those "agendas" are simply looking for roads to be a safe shared space and not where drivers are entitled to drive as they alone deem suitable.

I've also seen talk of reducing speeds on motorways by a considerable amount.

I suspect you are either mistaken or are talking about a different country. What has been discussed is the possibility of reducing speed limits and other measures for if and when a fuel crisis occurs and fuel rationing kicks in.

What do you do when you already have a 75 minute commute and then you have to start adding on more and more time while the train in your town might come in in the 30s or so if you're lucky.

I changed job, that's what I did! I can now cycle to work (faster than it takes to drive the same route), I save money, I'm healthier and stress levels are way down but best of all I don't have to use the M50 now!

I for one will be opposing these nonsensical speed limits.

Opposing? The Phoenix Park changes have been put to a public consultation and the decisions were made on the basis of the submissions. Did you provide your input then and if not, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

changes have been put to a public consultation and the decisions were made on the basis of the submissions

Not really though. The OPW aren't under any obligation to take any submissions into account.

I've no problem with the 30k limit but these consultations are a complete load of nonsense. The decisions are made, you might as well be yelling at the clouds as making a submission opposing it.

Says it all, "give me a reason other than that daft safety one....".

Very true. They do a survey or a study, then seem to infinite and do random stuff based on some knee jerk reaction.

A token 30k limit that people ignore when its suits them seems to be the best of both worlds. Both sides get what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

The guy had consumed a litre of vodka and 2 grams of coke and was driving at speed. I don't think he'd care too much about a 30km speed limit anywhere in this country.

For over a decade our roads are about as safe as you can reasonably expect.

You have to eventually reach a stage were you question how much more can you possibly improve without a blanket ban on all vehicles. Only then will we have our 0.

You have your head in the clouds as your assumption, or maybe it's just that you don't care, that they're as safe as you can reasonably expect is wrong, and again based on your worldview from behind a steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Why are people so opposed to adjusting the road to make it more suitable to a 30km/h speed limit? Surely if you're in favour of reduced speeds you'd be in favour of measures to encourage motorists to stick to those speeds.

• Advertisement

The safety improves constantly.

It hasn't plateaued like your implying.

Advertisement