Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Driving no. Too many lights, too much traffic.

Cycling via the canal you might join it, but not since they open the link down the docklands. Depends where you are going in town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Absolute pure guff from Costello as well, he must have plenty of spare time on his hands while he's been suspended by the Green Party.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yet 1000-1500 parked up along the sides is not polution enough? Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Someone else already said that, but the point is, cars move. Cars can be diverted for events like runs, parades, State visits etc. 17,000,000 bolted down bollards cannot easily be.

In fact, I've never had any issue with parking being removed from Chesterfield. I mean at the moment there is overflow car parking for the Zoo on the grass at the Lord's Walk, let the Greens scratch their head about that particular Hobson's Choice.

In all seriousness though, I really do expect the OPW to come up with a far less visually offensive solution to delineate the cycle lane, once the pilot period of the mobility study is over.

Not ideal. But did the job cheap and fast.

Hopefully they'll think of something better eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycled around the park a bit yesterday, plus down martin's row. the latter was kinda funny, was being held up by people clearly nervous of driving along it in large cars. i don't know why they were going that way, the park itself certainly wasn't that busy, especially given the week that's in it.

Depends on your origin and destination I guess.

Now that the Upper Glen Road is closed within the Park, if you're coming eastbound through Chapelizod, its a very long diversion through the Park to return to Knockmaroon or anywhere at the back of Castleknock and motorists are very concious of wasting fuel. So Martin's Row is the choice.

In the longer term, Martin's Row should definitely become one-way, but that requires either a) another Liffey crossing, west of the West County Hotel or b) a diversion route that takes in the Park somehow, neither of which are easy or palatable solutions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

years ago i got stuck on martins row - was driving into the city late enough in the evening, and met an artic, dutch reg i think - where the driver had clearly taken a wrong turn and came to the bottom of knockmarooon and thought better of it, so was trying to reverse back along st martin's row. i rang the gardai to come out and supervise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Why so? The Zoo, Cricket pitches, Peoples Garden, Polo Grounds and Garda HQ stretch at the back of the Zoo are used as free car parks. More importantly scrap the sports pitches (fifteen acres (how many are there?), Army pitch , back of the Cricket grounds etc ) which are rarely if ever used. Upgrade the facilities (changing and toilets) and turf with netted goals for several pitches near the Ss bends carpark... and rewild all the rest.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry, it's just the OPW going through the motions.

You'll have seen even today that the Taoiseach squashed any notion of congestion charges in the City until the Metro is up and running and all private vehicles have become EVs. That could be 20 to 25 years yet.

It'll be the same here, the OPW will suggest what they suggest and then the Taoiseach and the government TDs locally will squash it.

Besides, the OPW are admitting that they haven't engaged with the employers within the Park who host some 3,500 jobs. Can anyone really see the Guards tolerating having to pay for parking outside their Headquarters or on North Road? Don't make me laugh.

Its about time OPW realised this isn't their private fiefdom, it's a place owned by all the people, everywhere in the Country, to visit whenever and for however long they like, not according to their means or to the timetable of some pencil neck.

It's honestly funny watching you be wrong about so many things lol

of course he can say this govt won't be bringing it in, he won't be in office long enough lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Bus from Parkgate Street to the Visitor Centre to start operating by the end of the month.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/dublins-phoenix-park-bus-service-due-to-launch-this-month/a1806105530.html

"...The route was originally supposed to run from Heuston Station, through the park's Cabra Gate and continue on to Broombridge Station. However, this was put on hold due to the historic gate being too narrow for buses to pass through safely..."

(Click the ad infested link at your own risk...)

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/new-phoenix-park-dublin-bus-27458749

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It’s good that there’s a bus servicing the Phoenix Park but surprised it seemingly is not going any further west than the Phoenix monument roundabout for the likes of Farmleigh. The Castleknock roundabout is pretty small so presuming the bus can’t circle that for its return leg. Operational hours look to be every 30mins between 09:00 and 18:00 but haven’t read of what scope applies to extend that 18:00 during DST.

That said the platforms/ramps installed over the cycle lanes and constituting as the bus stops are seriously stupid and even dangerous. Can’t understand why they didn’t have the bus going to the kerb and taking over the cycle lane like for the existing Hop On/Off sightseeing bus as well as every other bus stop in the city. Presume that was the OPWs suggestion/making so I guess it shouldn’t surprise me.

When the bus stop is in use, no one can proceed, cars can’t overtake trans-versing the solid median line and the platform/ramp will have potential passengers embarking/alighting the bus. For the approximately 94% of the day when no bus is stopped then there is a large ramp and obstacle blocking an otherwise nice and efficient cycle lane.

• Advertisement

Classic OPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Maybe im missing something, but whats the big hype

Surely a few feet extra and use the Luas/Train station (shops, toilets etc) as the termus would be better than where it is (outside a abandoned dirty factory), then be able to push the leap card 90 fare and get passangers on two services

You don't need a bus to for that route. You can walk from the train station. But if you do. Use a smaller mini bus and do a circular route in the park. Extended it into the station, which then because it's a small bus can use the small roundabouts.

But hey, its the Phoenix Park. Nothing logical will be happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Getting to Heuston station would be messy - it would have to past Croppies Acre Park to Rory O'More Bridge, to the station front entrance, turn left to get onto Frank Sherwin Bridge and then to Parkgate Street. It's much quicker to do the u-turn on Parkgate Street.

The tweet seems to say it is covered by Leap 90 fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I had thought that St Marys Hospital would be the end point. A hospice/hospital with no way to get there except by car? The design of the stops is comical. But hey ...any bus access is progress of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

The 26 goes along Chapelizod Road and has always had a stop labelled "St Mary's Hospital".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

fyi to those using and commuting through the park. Was wondering what all the generators/lights were for in the park the past couple of day so looked up the below to find gates from 19:00 this evening for 24hrs due to the Chinese Premier visit:

Didn't notice a signal sign throughout the park notifying of the closure so typical OPW. I remember a similar closure a couple of years ago when Prince Charles stayed in Farmleigh, cycled down White's Road to find the gate closed and no way through, a sign at the top of the road wouldn't have killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Here's a tip.

To my knowledge clampers do not patrol the park, and if you are caught the fine is a fiver.

While the weather isn't up to much now, when it is I'll be parking on the bike lanes they stole off us. The bollards look easily accessible to get a car between (I'd imagine they were made like that to allow emergency vehicles park). I feel it's a duty as much as anything.

How **** dare the Green lobby think they have sole use of these lanes, lanes that could have easily been built alongside the existing footpaths. That park is paid for by every taxpayer from Castleknock to Clonakilty, the absolute gall on these people who think they own it and have a right to tell us how to use it.

I'm also fairly sure there's nowhere within the park a speed van can position itself, hence why I try and keep to a steady 80 when driving through.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Another one I copped a few weeks ago when driving through- the removal of parking spaces along the sides means that it is extremely difficult for emergency vehicles to fly past in heavy traffic.

Normally everyone in front would simply pull in and let the vehicle past, but that isn't really an option for drivers now, everyone stopping and squeezing between the bollards would take as long as just continuing to drive.

Another risk to life the policies of O'Gorman are creating which you should raise if he dares knock on your door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

the policies of O'Gorman 

?? The Minister for Children like?

Advertisement