Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now TV stick with 2 months pass €12

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

can remember how the pass works with the stick, is it a code that you can use on a pre-existing account accessed via an app on the TV?
    If you don't want to use the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ooter

The first stick I got a few years ago had codes that you could activate whenever but the one I bought recently activated the sports pass as soon as I logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

are the now tv sticks the same price in tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

ooter wrote: »
    The first stick I got a few years ago had codes that you could activate whenever but the one I bought recently activated the sports pass as soon as I logged in.

Grand, but you don't need to setup a new account?

redmgar wrote: »
    Grand, but you don't need to setup a new account?

No just log in to your existing account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

ooter wrote: »

Did you have a sports pass running already and if so did it add the pass that came with the stick to the end of your existing pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

as a caution there are very limited apps you can run. limited to a choice of about ten on the now tv app store. spotify and red bull tv are there. but there is no TG4 app.

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Did you have a sports pass running already and if so did it add the pass that came with the stick to the end of your existing pass?

No there was just 1 week of sports on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

are the now tv sticks the same price in tesco?

No, a little bit more expensive, albeit "half price".

From what I can remember:
    ~ €19 2 months Entertainment
    ~ €29 1 month (Full) Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Movie Pass could be good over Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

"Turn your TV into a smart TV" Harvey Norman ad for NOW Stick.

Does this refer to Apps, web browsing & streaming?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the multipass do all the passes go active at the same time or can you use 1 for the first month and then say another the month after?

Bought my stick over weekend so far well impressed!

Just to come back on this they all do go active at the same time but if you get onto them on chat very helpful so he cancelled all my passes and then gave me specific voucher codes for each pass to use whenever I want but have a 12 month expiry period.

Also with Bord Gais and they are giving customers a free month of Cinema and Entertainment, so good timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

If you have Bord Gais Rewards (even if you are not currently with BGE) you can claim a free month of Entertainment and Movies available to claim. Great to have Movies for December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Mearings wrote: »
    "Turn your TV into a smart TV" Harvey Norman ad for NOW Stick.

Does this refer to Apps, web browsing & streaming?

Thank you.
    I don't think there's a browser (mine's disconnected at the moment so I cant take a look for you.
    It does come with the apps for Netflix Also all the UK catchup apps, but only All4 works in Ireland (and not for live stuff) - brilliant selection of box sets and series though.
    RTE Player, Virgin, TG4 (not sure) apps can be downloaded from NOW.

It's a ROKU dongle so it is possible to modify it - there are discussions elsewhere about this.

Right : I plugged it in so here's what I can see of the built-in apps

Sky News, All4, YouTube, Virgin player, Netflix RTE Player, TED Talks

In the App Store: Spotify, TuneIn, IGN, SkySports, - not all free, of course.

It's possible you can get more apps by logging in giving a UK address, but dunno if that will do you any good.

I've been playing about with Chromecast and Fire TV dongles so I get a bit mixed up as to what apps are available. If you want a cheap device to turn your TV smart you might be better off with looking for a Black Friday deal on a Fire Stick, especially the Firestick 4K. Apart from what comes built-in, there's an active fanclub on line and on YouTube telling you how to sideload additional apps.

Right now my Firestick has:

All4, RTE Player, ARTE, Netflix, Prime video, Plex, Berlin Philharmic Concert (costs), Vienna Staatsopera (costs), Kodi, YouTube, Deutsch Welle, EuroNews, Al Jazeera

There's a mountain of obscure channels most are subscription.
    No browser in the app store, but probably is via the fan club.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Niall20

dowtchaboy - So would you recommend the Firestick 4k over the Roku/Now TV stick? And would it make a difference ordering a UK version from Amazon over a local Irish version?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭normanbond

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I don't think there's a browser (mine's disconnected at the moment so I cant take a look for you.
    It does come with the apps for Netflix Also all the UK catchup apps, but only All4 works in Ireland (and not for live stuff) - brilliant selection of box sets and series though.
    RTE Player, Virgin, TG4 (not sure) apps can be downloaded from NOW.

It's a ROKU dongle so it is possible to modify it - there are discussions elsewhere about this.

Right : I plugged it in so here's what I can see of the built-in apps

Sky News, All4, YouTube, Virgin player, Netflix RTE Player, TED Talks

In the App Store: Spotify, TuneIn, IGN, SkySports, - not all free, of course.

It's possible you can get more apps by logging in giving a UK address, but dunno if that will do you any good.

I've been playing about with Chromecast and Fire TV dongles so I get a bit mixed up as to what apps are available. If you want a cheap device to turn your TV smart you might be better off with looking for a Black Friday deal on a Fire Stick, especially the Firestick 4K. Apart from what comes built-in, there's an active fanclub on line and on YouTube telling you how to sideload additional apps.

Right now my Firestick has:

All4, RTE Player, ARTE, Netflix, Prime video, Plex, Berlin Philharmic Concert (costs), Vienna Staatsopera (costs), Kodi, YouTube, Deutsch Welle, EuroNews, Al Jazeera

There's a mountain of obscure channels most are subscription.
    No browser in the app store, but probably is via the fan club.

Hope this helps.

Tnx for this info.
    Any links for a good deal on a fire stick?
    Amazon site says their fire stick not available for Irish customers!!
    BTW the Roku streaming stick is total cr@p, limited usable apps and a remote that eats batteries......

Niall20 wrote: »
    dowtchaboy - So would you recommend the Firestick 4k over the Roku/Now TV stick? And would it make a difference ordering a UK version from Amazon over a local Irish version?
    I don't have the Firestick 4K - just the older one - it was some silly low price and it might even have been at Argos!
    AFAIK what you get is generic - I probably had to use the fanclub (sorry, cant think what they are called) to get the RTE Player app -the dongle runs Android I think and these guys have libraries of Android apps that will install onto this stick - not all will. Have a dig around elsewhere on Boards for the info. Here's a good start: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058088307. Very helpful posters there.

If you think it likely that you will at some stage subscribe to Sky/NOW then the NOW stick is going to be better. Easier to use and less messing.

I have a Chromecast stick that I don't use much - it's good, but the other methods give me enough channels without messing about with phones as well. You couldn't load apps onto the Chromecast to "smart" up your TV.
    But AFAIK the brand new Chromecast with Google TV got rave reviews and that may give more flexibility as I think it's an Android box and can load apps.

normanbond wrote: »
    Tnx for this info.
    BTW the Roku streaming stick is total cr@p, limited usable apps and a remote that eats batteries......

I looked back over my Amazon history and I can't see an order for a Firestick so I'm thinking it was an Argos offer -via bargain alert maybe 6 months ago? Was too good an offer to pass up!
    I see Argos Ireland have Firesticks for sale and in stock - €24.19 - I don't know whether that's the same model as mine. They also have NOW sticks for €19.49 including 2 months cinema pass or Entertainment Pass. I often forget to check Argos when out hunting for a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

normanbond wrote: »
    Tnx for this info.

Use parcel motel/wizard. 30 quid for 4k stick is as good a deal as you'll get.
    There's a thread over on the android forum that'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about setting them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

TheDriver wrote: »
    Use parcel motel/wizard. 30 quid for 4k stick is as good a deal as you'll get.
    There's a thread over on the android forum that'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about setting them up

Do you need a prime account if all you want to do is side-load other apps... As in do you need to sign into amazon.co.uk account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do you need a prime account if all you want to do is side-load other apps... As in do you need to sign into amazon.co.uk account?

No, but you do need an amazon account for it to work. I use a dud US account as I use a VPN on mine. I don't have my regular account on it.

Thank you, dowtchaboy. Curiosity got the better of me, I bought a Entertainment NOWtv Stick from the local Argos on 15/11. My tv is 11yo Toshiba RV40753 which was considered very good set at the time, apart from poor sound it's been troublefree.
    I thought if NOW stick was to my liking I might be able to cancel my basic VM Ireland tv account. However apart from Sky News there is not enough live tv to cancel.
    I shall cancel the direct debit within the 2 month period as I'm paying enough as it is. When I lived in London Freeview gave me all the channels I required but that could not be said of Saorview. VM maybe playing catchup as recently they have deleted RT News & Sony True Movies. I suggested to them that they should give me CNN & Talking Pictures as a replacement but they are "not available within my account"
    To get back to NOWtv Stick for €20 it is fine for catch up & Youtube. Sky News picture is a higher quality than on VM. It's a pity I cannot conect the stick to the Roberts SB1 soundbar. As I said the sound from the telly is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

Mearings wrote: »
    Thank you, dowtchaboy. Curiosity got the better of me, I bought a Entertainment NOWtv Stick from the local Argos on 15/11. My tv is 11yo Toshiba RV40753 which was considered very good set at the time, apart from poor sound it's been troublefree.
    I thought if NOW stick was to my liking I might be able to cancel my basic VM Ireland tv account. However apart from Sky News there is not enough live tv to cancel.
    I shall cancel the direct debit within the 2 month period as I'm paying enough as it is. When I lived in London Freeview gave me all the channels I required but that could not be said of Saorview. VM maybe playing catchup as recently they have deleted RT News & Sony True Movies. I suggested to them that they should give me CNN & Talking Pictures as a replacement but they are "not available within my account"
    To get back to NOWtv Stick for €20 it is fine for catch up & Youtube. Sky News picture is a higher quality than on VM. It's a pity I cannot conect the stick to the Roberts SB1 soundbar. As I said the sound from the telly is not great.
    all the freeview channells u were getting in london u can get on a satellite dish called freesat including rt talking pictures cnn and all sony movies but u need a dish installed to get them all no bills

all the freeview channells u were getting in london u can get on a satellite dish called freesat including rt talking pictures cnn and all sony movies but u need a dish installed to get them all no bills
    Yes, I am aware of Freesat & if lived in a house I would use it but there are aesthetic reasons against the use of satellite dishes in an apartment block.

Advertisement