Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height requirements in dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Lyan wrote: »
    Women don't date men shorter then them unless you are Danny Devito.

Or have a SUPER HUGE...

Bank Balance

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭purifol0

Jesus you guys need to google the meaning of the word troll. And then look at the ceiling because someone wrote gullible on it.

Is this your first time on the internet lads? Or can you just not handle flippant comments & gallows humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Look if they are more focused on your physical appearance and not on your intelligence.They are not worth the effort,so don't sell yourself short.There are people out there for you,so don't rush it.

No need to rub it in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the overwhelming majority of people don't feel the need to go on a killing spree it seems pretty reasonable to me that the killers' perception is totally out of sync with reality. I think empathising with their issues and sympathising with their course of action are very different.

Fegelein, I mean this in the nicest possible way: You need to seek help with the way you're thinking. The brain is an organ like any other and when it's not well it'll screw with your thoughts and generally make life more difficult than it needs to be. The longer you leave it the harder it'll be to recover. Your GP will set you on the right path, but you have to make the first step and actually get an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Maybe Boards should hand your I.P. address over to the Gardai, just in case.

I already suggested that.
    You should watch the Netflix documentary "Don't **** with cats", where a group of internet users track down a weirdo who posted videos torturing cats. Ended up, he progressed to killing humans.

• Advertisement

purifol0 wrote: »
    Woman go for the top dog. Its fundamentally biological and not a personal preference as many here falsely ascribe.

Yes, they have that "preference", but are limited by their own status, attractiveness etc. So they go for/settle for "the best they can get" in general.

Yes, they have that "preference", but are limited by their own status, attractiveness etc. So they go for/settle for "the best they can get" in general.

Commets thus far mostly referred to dating apps and tinder specifically, which were the primary method of flirting over the lockdown period.

But even in real life, women select for taller men. A few deluded commenters here have sarcastically asked to see that study. None of them seemingly typed a few words into google, if they did theyd get plenty of hits from studies done through decades of research that says as much. If they want to keep their blinkered view thats fine, Im not here to spoonfeed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I can see why Elliot Rodger went on his rampage...The guy never stood a chance.

Anyway better to learn life is unfair earlier than later.

Mod

That post is a disgrace. Don't come back to this thread when your posting privileges are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm 6ft and would love to be 6'5".
    I'm happy with my height but would like to be taller if I could choose.
    Funny.

Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Alright, back on track.

I'm 170cm, so I'm scraping in at 5'7.
    I also weigh less than 10st and I'm bald, so I look a little like my childhood hero Cailou.
    I've never had an issue with women (that wasn't caused by my stupid mouth).

Some women care, they either get over it or they don't, but you can't change that.

Most don't.

While at college I had lads come up to me asking for advice, because they're self conscious about their heights.. most of them were taller than me.
    It's down to confidence in my opinion..

At 5'5 you're grand, I feel bad for the guys who are tiptoeing above 5ft..

• Advertisement

MrMiata wrote: »
    I feel bad for the guys who are tiptoeing above 5ft..

Sexual selection is more important than natural selection in a left wing bleeding heart social welfare state.

Works both ways... breast size has been increasing over time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sugarman wrote: »
    I cant get my head around anyone that would have a height restriction as a criteria for dating.

Especially those "No under 6ft" types when the average Irish male is 5'10".

Its just so trivial and theyre porbably missing out on genuine lads that tick all the other boxes.

Just looking at someone I probably couldnt tell you their actual height. I certainly wouldnt be able to tell the difference between someone of 5'8" and 6ft.

It's incredibly shallow

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Why ?

A part of it is down to attracting women. I've seen plenty of women who are height obsessed. (Not all of course or even the majority)
    I've not had the best luck with the women I've really liked over the years which was moreso to do with shyness/not putting myself out there etc (All my own fault) However, I do think if I were 6'5" or so it would have definitely attracted more women just from a looks perspective. Like it would give me a better starting point.
    I've heard women say if a guy is over 6ft, they automatically become a maybe etc no matter what they are like as a person. I know at 6ft, height isn't an issue for me but to be noticeably tall, it would help even more.

Also, how I want to look would benefit from extra height but thats just personal preference.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's incredibly shallow

I disagree.
    We're all programmed to select partners for fertility and social status.

If you look at any nature documentary, the largest/strongest/tallest tend to be the leaders in the group and thus the "alpha males".

So short men have to make up for their biological disadvantage with clearly better intelligence/success/money etc.

Sexual selection is more important than natural selection in a left wing bleeding heart social welfare state.

Works both ways... breast size has been increasing over time too.

Things like breast size and height increasing are actually down to the fact that food is cheap and plentiful. Girls hit pubery years earlier than their grandparents, again due to abundance. Penis size however - humans (well men) have much bigger ones than other primates by far and thats down to sexual selection by women over very long periods of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Things like breast size and height increasing are actually down to the fact that food is cheap and plentiful. Girls hit pubery years earlier than their grandparents, again due to abundance. Penis size however - humans (well men) have much bigger ones than other primates by far and thats down to sexual selection by women over very long periods of time.

Can't discount the 'Make Your Dong Bigger in 3 Easy Steps!!!' Ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I have it in my head that when it comes to dating as a guy in your late 30s early 40s your ****ed unless you have sizeable financial assets . Is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It’s the small jockey has the big whip.

MrMiata wrote:
    Can't discount the 'Make Your Dong Bigger in 3 Easy Steps!!!' Ads.

Darwin didn't take those into account did he.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Topdolla wrote: »
    Go to Thailand and buy a wife?

Better value in the rental market in that part of the world :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Honestly Fegbot should be site banned on that comment alone.

Some very bitter men on here.

People like what they like. Attraction isn't a choice; if a women is attracted to you she is, if not, she's simply not. It's not rocket science gents. And that goes both ways.

I blame online dating. It has totally skewered how men think they are perceived. If you are rating your attractiveness/value by how many matches you get on Tinder then I feel sorry for you and you will be disappointed.

Mod

Best to not talk about people who can't respond back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

People like what they like. Attraction isn't a choice; if a women is attracted to you she is, if not, she's simply not. It's not rocket science gents. And that goes both ways.

I blame online dating. It has totally skewered how men think they are perceived. If you are rating your attractiveness/value by how many matches you get on Tinder then I feel sorry for you and you will be disappointed.

I wonder if the people complaining about women having too much choice in the dating world would themselves go for a 3/10 if they could have their pick of the 10/10’s. I highly doubt they would.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I wonder if the people complaining about women having too much choice in the dating world would themselves go for a 3/10 if they could have their pick of the 10/10’s. I highly doubt they would.

Could it be me who's wrong?
    no, it's the women who are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I wonder - have apps like Tinder ever released statistics on this? It would be interesting to know.Which filter do people tend to set first? Which ones are used most and least often? Which ones once set do people then tend to expand more often to increase the result set? Be an interesting set of stats to read through. At least if you're like me and find stats interesting :)

OKCupid did or used to years ago. Google OkCupid blog or OkCupid stats and you will see. I think they even wrote a book about it.

Here's an article specifically relating to height (from a different author):
    https://medium.com/@SethUlinski/why-the-guys-who-own-the-internet-would-strike-out-on-okcupid-a3d9564b4516
    Research on online dating sites by Duke University professor Dan Ariely has shown that for every inch below 5'10,’’ a man has to earn $40,000 more to be seen as equally appealing to a woman.

But I’m sure there will be posters on this thread who still think it's all in people's heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I have it in my head that when it comes to dating as a guy in your late 30s early 40s your ****ed unless you have sizeable financial assets . Is this true ?

Not at all. Best time for men. All age groups after ya.

SusieBlue wrote:

I can't stand when people rate peoples attractiveness.
    Attraction is subjective imo. You cud be a 10/10 to someone and be a 3/10 to someone else.
    I was in college and I really fancied a woman. I thought she was very cute. I showed her to a friend and they rated her as a 5/10 as you could say her gums were more visible than most when she smiled.
    I thought she was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can't stand when people rate peoples attractiveness.
    Attraction is subjective imo. You cud be a 10/10 to someone and be a 3/10 to someone else.
    I was in college and I really fancied a woman. I thought she was very cute. I showed her to a friend and they rated her as a 5/10 as you could say her gums were more visible than most when she smiled.
    I thought she was gorgeous.

You completely missed the point I was making. Of course attraction is subjective.

All I was saying was that those here bemoaning all the choice women have would do the exact same thing if they had the choice too, so they’re total hypocrites.
    They wouldn’t go for someone they deemed to be mildly attractive if they could have someone who ticked every box instead.

SusieBlue wrote:
    All I was saying was that those here bemoaning all the choice women have would do the exact same thing if they had the choice too, so they’re total hypocrites. They wouldn’t go for someone they deemed to be mildly attractive if they could have someone who ticked every box instead.

I get ya, I just dislike the whole rating thing.
    Well of course you'd go for the person who you find ticks all of your boxes over someone who only ticks a few.
    I cudnt care less if a woman thought I was too small. It's her choice. I'd never criticise her for it.
    Same way, I don't like a woman who smokes. It's preference.

Something that I find is a bit unfair is that I've seen a lot of women make a joke of guys being small. They laugh and joke about it and almost take much pleasure in turning them down.
    It's totally ok if they don't find them attractive but it costs nothing to be kind.

• Advertisement

. Penis size however - humans (well men) have much bigger ones than other primates by far and thats down to sexual selection by women over very long periods of time.

Penis size isn't on display, at least nowadays, the only way women can "select" it is generally indirectly by height and hand/feet size which tend to the be related to height which goes back to strength/status in a group.

Breast size, is a secondary sexual characteristic like hip width and a way men positively select women as it indicates they passed puberty and are fertile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement