Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height requirements in dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Unless they are literally the next person next to the person that shot you down. :D

Although, it takes some balls to do that though, and I can guarantee you that type of person has had more sexual partners than most.

Would that be the sling enough mud strategy? :D

kowloon wrote: »
    Would that be the sling enough mud strategy? :D

That's the keep going until you meet someone equally desperate, almost certain not to fail, helps if you've no shame, strategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

On what basis is the OP angry? He actually seems quite sanguine on the matter.

I think most women probably would prefer to date the tiny OP than someone who uses words like sanguine.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Don't be discouraged OP. It's personal preference which is perfectly fine for everyone to have.
    I do find that a lot of women seem to take joy in telling a guy that he's too small or making fun of smaller guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I'm a tall guy but I feel for guys who are short. It's such a disgusting bullying behavior by anyone to look down on someone for their height, it's accepted for some reason and some guys are very hung up on it and rightfully so, the amount of women who only like tall guys is much higher then those who exclusively like short guys. Men may feel the same way about weight for women but not only do we not care as long as you are not morbidly obese, but you can stop being fat if you really want. You can't stop being short. I know this is a bit of a joke thread but it annoys me how short people are derided and it's accepted

• Advertisement

I think most women probably would prefer to date the tiny OP than someone who uses words like sanguine.

Needs a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tall enough to go on a rollercoaster will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sanguine, a perfectly good word.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Sanguine, a perfectly good word.

Agreed, it's perfectly cromulent.

I'm a tall guy but I feel for guys who are short. It's such a disgusting bullying behavior by anyone to look down on someone for their height, it's accepted for some reason and some guys are very hung up on it and rightfully so, the amount of women who only like tall guys is much higher then those who exclusively like short guys. Men may feel the same way about weight for women but not only do we not care as long as you are not morbidly obese, but you can stop being fat if you really want. You can't stop being short. I know this is a bit of a joke thread but it annoys me how short people are derided and it's accepted

Knew a fella who was rejected for being too short. He was 6ft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Big problem is women have way too much choice these days with online dating. There's the fear of missing out on something better if they settle.

No wonder the birth rate has fallen though the floor...it's going to be an absolute miracle if this generation manages to replace itself (actually, it's a certainty they won't).

There will be a big cohort of women who never settle, just perpetual dates...maybe pumping out one child aged 37 out of wedlock.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Knew a fella who was rejected for being too short. He was 6ft!

Christ almighty. 6 Foot is not short by anyone's standards, I'm sorry to go down this route but the discrepancies in standards between men and women are shocking.

..it's going to be an absolute miracle if this generation manages to replace itself (actually, it's a certainty they won't).

This generation will have no problem replacing itself... it just wont be western.

This generation will have no problem replacing itself... it just wont be western.

Uh oh it's gonna pop off now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

If i had a euro for the amount of times i've seen charismatic, funny & confident shorter guys with taller women id be rich.. on the flip side i've seen plenty of awkward, good looking and insecure tall guys....alone

The cliche specified requirements on dating sites do not always manifest in reality.

Uh oh it's gonna pop off now haha

Yeah - apologies. It shouldn't go down that route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Big problem is women have way too much choice these days with online dating. There's the fear of missing out on something better if they settle.

No wonder the birth rate has fallen though the floor...it's going to be an absolute miracle if this generation manages to replace itself (actually, it's a certainty they won't).

There will be a big cohort of women who never settle, just perpetual dates...maybe pumping out one child aged 37 out of wedlock.

It's the liberation of women that's given them choice. Dating used to be better for men in the past (though evolutionary biologists will tell you that up to 30-40% of men never mated throughout history) because people got into relationships for practicality. Women depended on men more for a livelihood and thus even a short, unmasculine men could still woo a girl with a good job and desire to raise kids.

Now the dynamics have completely shifted. Women can get their own jobs and no longer rely on men so men are struggling to attract because their main asset in the past is no longer an asset. And even if it is for some women, it takes until a man is in his 30s to be settled compared to women's assets, beauty which develops when they become teens.

Yeah - apologies. It shouldn't go down that route.

Oh no don't apologize it doesn't bother me, I don't have the stats off hand but you are more than likely correct

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm a tall guy but I feel for guys who are short. It's such a disgusting bullying behavior by anyone to look down on someone for their height,

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Agreed, it's perfectly cromulent.
    I also offer my most enthusiastic contrafibularities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Why are people so strict on them? I'm a 5ft 5in man and a woman on Tinder told me I was cute but too short. Said most of her friends feel the same way.

She's definitely not alone as this is a sentiment shared by many women. In fact there was a study that showed the height of a partner is more important for women than men.

What are short men supposed to do?

Move on to someone who is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

What are short men supposed to do?

I'll tell you what they shouldn't do: They shouldn't get hung up on something they can't change. It's like getting annoyed about the weather... just shut up and buy an umbrella (not if you're a short-arse though - you'll have someone's eye out with it).

I've mentioned my height (around 5ft 7 or something like that) in a lighthearted way on my Tinder profile, and still got matches, including from women who were taller than me. I'm not good-looking or rich and my profile makes no reference to my massive penis, yet they still managed to look beyond my height. You just need to work with what you've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Few issues. Shorter girls can tend to be among the most heightist. So saying go for shorter girls isn't a one size fits all solution.

Height is just one of those things. There's no fairness, it just is. You'll never slay like crazy as a short guy unless you have sick facial aesthetics, charisma/humor or money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Height is just one of those things. There's no fairness, it just is. You'll never slay like crazy as a short guy unless you have sick facial aesthetics, charisma/humor or money.
    Are you an American teen? I don't know anyone who speaks like this in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Height is a key characteristic women find attractive, to say it is a "preference" is disengenuous. Nonetheless even short men can learn to be very good with women. There is a quality called "there's just something about him" that has a powerful affect on women. It's a quality you can develop with the right mindset.

No women ever likes a man because of his short height, she'll like him in spite of it. On the contrary, many women will like a man purely for his height

Height is a key characteristic women find attractive, to say it is a "preference" is disengenuous. Nonetheless even short men can learn to be very good with women. There is a quality called "there's just something about him" that has a powerful affect on women. It's a quality you can develop with the right mindset.

Yeah full agreement. Women obviously don't all find shorter guys unattractive but height is a common thing women generally like.

Absolutely, a few years ago I knew this fella, short under 5' 6" who had no trouble with women. He said wear neat clothes, nice aftershave, good haircut and don't give a damm. Mind you he was in good shape and had darker skin.

No women ever likes a man because of his short height, she'll like him in spite of it. On the contrary, many women will like a man purely for his height

I suppose but they will quickly turn off him if he doesn't measure up in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Why do you think the OP is angry?

I was playing on the stereotype of short angry men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I'm 5'3" and genuinely couldn't give a **** what height a guy is. It's never been a consideration, maybe because I'm short myself, idk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement