Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of Public Sector over Private Sector

Options

Comments

i wish private sector posters could stay on topic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

JL555 wrote: »
    Yep, they use a broad number to make it look excellent, but some things are just not that great in how they're delivered. 49% thought the process was too slow, 24% of people were dissatisfied due to multiple people dealing with enquiry/being passed around.
    Personally, one of the most important things for me to be delivered are decent roads, not full of potholes and are safe to drive on. I would be marking 'extremely dissatisfied' with that aspect. I live within a stones throw of 3 prominent TDs and I can tell you, the area leaves a lot to be desired.

Really?

The roads? Seriously?!

You've found a thread on the Work & Jobs forum, about The Benefits of working in the Public Sector vs the Private Sector, and your contribution is to whinge about the state of the roads...

I feel like this is the Boards equivalent of a hidden camera show... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Really?

The roads? Seriously?!

You've found a thread on the Work & Jobs forum, about The Benefits of working in the Public Sector vs the Private Sector, and your contribution is to whinge about the state of the roads...

I feel like this is the Boards equivalent of a hidden camera show... :rolleyes:

Ah get over yourself, so I didn't take note note of the actual topic and just blurbed on, big deal. I should be executed for the crime of the century.

Ah get over yourself, so I didn't take note note of the actual topic and just blurbed on, big deal. I should be executed for the crime of the century.

I suppose in your defence, thanks to a combination of people like youself with an axe to grind, and a complete lack of moderation, a casual reader opening the thread could easily fail to realise what the actual topic is supposed to be.

And further in your defence, you did at least preface your nonsense by saying you don't know much about the public sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

It was not me who brought up Gardai sleeping in cars. Check your facts and look back at the thread. Parkrunner introduced the sleeping in car topic to the debate. I answered you and Parkrunner. It is all there in the thread. An apology from you would be the right thing for you to do.
    It does sound like a financial problem though, doesn't it? Who'd be sleeping in their car if they could afford to rent a room?

You still have not answered the question, and are trying to deflect. As asked before, if you are a Garda who made unwise property investments during the credit boom of the Celtic tiger, do you know how hard it would be to keep things going on the average Garda salary of € 63,450? And not many Gardai are sleeping in cars now anyway. I think that that was a bit of an urban legend you heard but sure you would believe anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

addaword wrote: »
    If you are a Garda who made unwise property investments during the credit boom of the Celtic tiger, do you know how hard it would be to keep things going on the average Garda salary of € 63,450? And not many Gardai are sleeping in cars now anyway. I think that that was a bit of an urban legend you heard but sure you would believe anything.

You keep on, about this 63450 when the top of the scale is, just under 54000.
    Where's this extra 10k from.

And not all are on the top of the scale..
    Second thoughts. Can we get a mod to change the title. The overpaid Gardai versus the rest of us.!

can we get a mod is right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Treppen

And not all are on the top of the scale..
    Second thoughts. Can we get a mod to change the title. The overpaid Gardai versus the rest of us.!

I think he's including all the "free coffee" in that €63450 average wage.
    I think mods are letting it run as he picks up thread count. He's like the Ivan Yeats of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you are a Garda who made unwise property investments during the credit boom of the Celtic tiger, do you know how hard it would be to keep things going on the average Garda salary of € 63,450? And not many Gardai are sleeping in cars now anyway. I think that that was a bit of an urban legend you heard but sure you would believe anything.

I didn't bring it up, the sleeping in cars thing - it was you that brought it up. :D:D:D:D:D

Treppen wrote: »
    I think mods are letting it run as he picks up thread count. He's like the Ivan Yeats of boards.

I enjoy listening to Ivan. He talks sh!te as well. :D

I miss hookie though.

He's already been banned on a few of his threads.

• Advertisement

I didn't bring it up, the sleeping in cars thing - it was you that brought it up. :D:D:D:D:D

There you go, telling blatant lies again. It was not me who brought up the sleeping in cars thing, it was Parkrunner and then you.

Not all Gardai are rank and file. Some get promoted. Some earn extra money. And did you never hear of all the many different Garda allowances? Do read the report, at the very least.

Not all Gardai are rank and file. Some get promoted. Some earn extra money. And did you never hear of all the many different Garda allowances? Do read the report, at the very least.

Have you read it yourself? The report, not an article online in the Indo...

Have you read it yourself? The report, not an article online in the Indo...

You do not have to read the Indo if you do not want to read the report yourself. You can read all about the report , its figures and its findings in the Irish Times 3 years ago, link given.

Mind you, I suspect people who would believe urban legends about government employees sleeping in cars would not be likely to know the difference.

Mind you, I suspect people who would believe urban legends about government employees sleeping in cars would not be likely to know the difference.

I remember hearing a couple of years ago about a guard and nurse and their two children living in a van as they couldn't afford a property in Dublin and couldn't get a rental house.

Sad state of affairs when pillars of the community like that not able to afford a modest house in our capital city.

Lots more instances like that too.

There you go, telling blatant lies again. It was not me who brought up the sleeping in cars thing, it was Parkrunner and then you.

You seem to have a short memory - you brought it up here, not me.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113846536&postcount=592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I remember hearing a couple of years ago about a guard and nurse and their two children living in a van as they couldn't afford a property in Dublin and couldn't get a rental house.

Sad state of affairs when pillars of the community like that not able to afford a modest house in our capital city.

Lots more instances like that too.

I don't believe that's true. If it is it's a money management issue not an income issue.

It's a story reminiscent of an Irish Times interview from the recession where a Garda seargant was on 65k+ and said they were unable to afford food for their family and there were days the family would just eat cornflakes.

Yep, they use a broad number to make it look excellent, but some things are just not that great in how they're delivered. 49% thought the process was too slow, 24% of people were dissatisfied due to multiple people dealing with enquiry/being passed around.
    Personally, one of the most important things for me to be delivered are decent roads, not full of potholes and are safe to drive on. I would be marking 'extremely dissatisfied' with that aspect. I live within a stones throw of 3 prominent TDs and I can tell you, the area leaves a lot to be desired.

They publish all the numbers, broad and narrow, and of course there are areas with room for improvement. When you have 350k people across the public sector, it's not a huge surprise that you might have to transfer a call once or twice to find the right person.

The biggest problem with the roads is the increased size and weight of vehicles on those roads, so maybe drivers need to start paying up for the actual wear and tear that they cause on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Would it be less sad for you if it were private sector employees in that position?

You seem to have a short memory - you brought it up here, not me.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113846536&postcount=592

I was replying to a poster who said if the the Gardai were so well paid how come some were sleeping in cars? It was not me who brought up Gardai sleeping in cars. Check your facts and look back at the thread. An apology from you would be the right thing for you to do.

• Advertisement

salonfire wrote: »
    Would it be less sad for you if it were private sector employees in that position?

Those private sector types would likely have whittled their money away on the stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Those private sector types would likely have whittled their money away on the stock market.

You're right those in the private sector tend to be much smarter. Investing in the market since 2014 yields great returns. My shares have doubled.

Beyond the understanding of the Garda that goes broke on the housing market.

Padawan , you have much to learn about Garda Pay:D

Just to quote what you posted.
    There are 9791 rank and file and .
    2445 between sergeant and inspector.

So most are rank and file.

You do not have to read the Indo if you do not want to read the report yourself. You can read all about the report , its figures and its findings in the Irish Times 3 years ago, link given.

have you read the report tho?

why dont you answer any of the extremely cogent points raised in critiquing the facile analysis of it (and failings in the report itself) (and the fact that it's years out of date) in the thread since?

its almost as if you are a troll, the way you keep bringing up a bad article about a flawed/irrelevant report as justification for your main """"""point"""''''

have you read the report tho?

why dont you answer any of the extremely cogent points raised in critiquing the facile analysis of it (and failings in the report itself) (and the fact that it's years out of date) in the thread since?

its almost as if you are a troll, the way you keep bringing up a bad article about a flawed/irrelevant report as justification for your main """"""point"""''''

You mean, he has a point?

Never realised that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Treppen wrote: »

I'd say he's including the 25% to 28% (depending on shift patterns) extra, that all guards who work the standard shift pattern, take home on top of base salary. There are also uniform & boot allowances - which aren't all that lucrative but add up nonetheless.

Well you're the one who said that the Indo reported it?!
    It did. The Irish Times, Indo, Sunday Times, RTe etc all agreed on one thing.

Well you're the one who said that the Indo reported it?!

The Irish Times was the paper which I gave the link to. And which I directly quoted from several times. Of course other media reported it too.

Padawan , you have much to learn about Garda Pay:D

Just to quote what you posted.
    There are 9791 rank and file and .
    2445 between sergeant and inspector.

So most are rank and file.

Here is some information , as I posted before, for the benefit of slow learners. It is you who has a lot to learn about Garda pay

Here is the quote from the Irish Times:

"The report found that, when new recruits were excluded, 10 per cent of gardaí earned more than €74,000; while 10 per cent of gardaí earned less than €54,000.

For rank and file gardaí (of which there were 9,791), the average pay was €63,327.

For sergeants (of which there were 1,922) the average was €72,690.

For inspectors (of which there were 317), the average was € 85,423.

For superintendents (of which there were 162), the average was €87,699.

For chief superintendents (of which there were 44), the average was €101,161."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/striking-garda%C3%AD-should-lose-pension-benefits-says-pay-report-1.2902538?mode=amp

"The report says that the average pay for gardaí across the force last year was €63,450.

However it says if the value of the cost of the provision of pensions was taken into account, total remuneration for gardaí would be in excess of €100,000."

• Advertisement

The Irish Times was the paper which I gave the link to. And which I directly quoted from several times. Of course other media reported it too.

So what're you nitpicking with me about. If you want to hang your hat on a report, you'd want to have read it yourself and/or actually know what it's about, rather than split hairs about which second or third hand account of it you're cackhandedly waffling about...

Advertisement