Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

been a long time since i've driven on the quays - i thought a lot were 30km/h for a few years now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

been a long time since i've driven on the quays - i thought a lot were 30km/h for a few years now?

Usually 2km/h for majority of day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dublin City Council plans for 30km/h limit despite opposition
    Dublin City Council plans to press ahead with making 30km/h the “default speed limit” across the city and suburbs despite public opposition to the move.

Results of a public consultation process, which will be presented to city councillors next week, show more than half of those who made submissions on the proposed traffic bylaws opposed the cut in speed limits.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-city-council-plans-for-30km-h-limit-despite-opposition-1.4340989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

People on FB losing their sh1t once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

micar wrote: »
    People on FB losing their sh1t once again.

Not surprised. More Green Party / Owen Keegan backward nonsense. This plus all the new cycle lanes stuffed in over the Summer. Schools back next week. Expect total collapse od traffic system ( which of course is the deliberate plan - as cheered on by many here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Truthvader wrote: »
    Not surprised. More Green Party / Owen Keegan backward nonsense. This plus all the new cycle lanes stuffed in over the Summer. Schools back next week. Expect total collapse od traffic system ( which of course is the deliberate plan - as cheered on by many here)

I'm a bus driver in the city.....
    I've one question to ask.... What is a bus lane for????

The buses now no longer fit in them and must wait for aggressive drivers eventually to let them merge as the cycle lanes, poles and footpaths oh and some bus stops have been moved out into the actual roadway.

Dame St. Prime example, rathmines, Camden st, Fairview and much much more....

I'm dreading the norm ..at the moment things are nowhere near norm but by God when it goes back, travel on bus or car will be absolutely shocking.

i know, it's great, isn't it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is backwards about reducing traffic congestion by reducing the number of unnecessary vehicles on the roads at busy periods and encouraging more people to “active travel”?

i know, it's great, isn't it?

This is basically over a child that was hit that was out playing on a road where he wasn't being minded by his parents..... Yes fully appreciate the sadness and horror and not wanting to come across as a Roth a hole but a road isn't for playing on but it seems the norm now...
    I'm actually amazed it doesn't happen more often.....

Since a the 30km/h business started I've seen more getting hit and more taking risks then previous....

Yes of course there are places even if it were posted 200,km/h 30km/h would be adequate or even too high.... It really comes down to responsibility and personal responsibility.

What is backwards about reducing traffic congestion by reducing the number of unnecessary vehicles on the roads at busy periods and encouraging more people to “active travel”?

It's not how it works.... Go and see Dundrum.
    Go and drive a bus for the day....

Cyclists don't use infrastructure provided good or bad....

• Advertisement

worth mentioning that i was responding to Truthvader's post but you obviously hit send on yours while i was composing mine.

worth mentioning that i was responding to Truthvader's post but you obviously hit send on yours while i was composing mine.

?

i wasn't sure - as you'd quoted me - if you thought i was responding to your post or the post above it.

This is basically over a child that was hit that was out playing on a road where he wasn't being minded by his parents..... Yes fully appreciate the sadness and horror and not wanting to come across as a Roth a hole but a road isn't for playing on but it seems the norm now...
    I'm actually amazed it doesn't happen more often.....

Since a the 30km/h business started I've seen more getting hit and more taking risks then previous....

Yes of course there are places even if it were posted 200,km/h 30km/h would be adequate or even too high.... It really comes down to responsibility and personal responsibility.
    Most people don’t want their kids to cycle to school. Many think it’s too dangerous to let the kids to even walk to school.
    All because most drivers wrongly reckon they are the most important people out there.
    Drivers need to be forced to slow down in urban areas. This is a positive first step.

in ireland, 2% of secondary school students cycle to school (figures are obviously pe-covid)
    in the netherlands, the figure is eight times that. for primary school students.

It's not how it works.... Go and see Dundrum.
    Go and drive a bus for the day....

Cyclists don't use infrastructure provided good or bad....
    Pretty much all of it is not good which is why it’s not used.
    Also, as the law does not say they must use it (because the government know it’s mostly shíte), cyclists don’t have to use it. If you cycled, you’d see what I mean!

Whatever. Winter is coming. Hope yourself and your family enjoy the misery of your "active travel" delusion

Pretty much all of it is not good which is why it’s not used.
    Also, as the law does not say they must use it (because the government know it’s mostly shíte), cyclists don’t have to use it. If you cycled, you’d see what I mean!

Jesus Christ, I do cycle, I can see from both sides ... Id actually love to bring cyclists out with me to see what I can/can't see driving a bus.....

Transport in Ireland is so slow and unreliable.....

If we got this right I'd happily leave my car at home....

Whatever. Winter is coming. Hope yourself and your family enjoy the misery of your "active travel" delusion
    when i was cycling to school - late 80s, early 90s - i did it in all weathers. i had no option but cycling (or walking, which i did in sixth year). the weather is less of an issue than the traffic.
    i never felt threatened by the weather. i do distinctly recall being nearly run under the wheels of a dublin bus when the driver attempted a lunatic overtake though.

• Advertisement

in ireland, 2% of secondary school students cycle to school (figures are obviously pe-covid)
    in the netherlands, the figure is eight times that. for primary school students.

Because it is sh1t. I cycled to school every day as a kid. It was sh1t. The people who are forced into this bullcrap the most are schoolkids. And the first thing every kid wants when they leave school and get a jpb is a car.

when i was cycling to school - late 80s, early 90s - i did it in all weathers. i had no option but cycling (or walking, which i did in sixth year). the weather is less of an issue than the traffic.
    i never felt threatened by the weather. i do distinctly recall being nearly run under the wheels of a dublin bus when the driver attempted a lunatic overtake though.

Well I remember just the rain and the cold

well, you obviously like your creature comforts, the great outdoors is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The last month i see Goatstown road getting adjusted with kerbs and bollards been installed but some mad genius decides to put a kerb and bollard 6 feet out from the path and making a left turn very hard for cars turning left and what about fire brigade and ambulances and long delivery trucks.Fun times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

Jesus Christ, I do cycle, I can see from both sides ... Id actually love to bring cyclists out with me to see what I can/can't see driving a bus.....

That end of cycle lane on batchelors walk is a disaster in waiting. Cyclists regularly breaking the red light there and buses switching from left to right lane with the Cyclists doing the opposite. Nearly saw a cyclist under a bus the other day after breaking a red light. Before people start moaning I both drive and cycle.
    A blanket 30km/h speed limit is stupid imo. It should be targeted and either way when you have stupid cyclists and drivers theres always going to be some accidents unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's stunning how these busy fools can create something with so much detail in so many pages, yet the end result is still so objectively wrong.

Not from the viewpoint of an entitled driver, but from a basic application of common sense: 30km/h on 4-lane dual carriageways is just too damn slow.

If they want to promote cycling, then spend the money put into these reviews on a (gas-masked and essential) council field trip to Eindhoven and see how it's really done, then let them come back and figure out how to apply that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

They planning it for Galway too .... they are setting this to make money for their friends who own go safe ... it has nothing to do with safety ... anyone see the white focus vans they have now ? Barrly any sign... no one will see them

We've had this conversation before yet you persist with the childish rubbish.
    There is no bad weather if you're wearing the right clothes.
    Plus, my commute is quicker by bike (even going the long way) than if I drive the exact same route.
    As for misery: it makes me feel good getting to and from work more quickly than by car, I get my daily exercise (as instructed by my cardiologist) and I'm saving money. Where is the misery in that?

jams100 wrote: »
    That end of cycle lane on batchelors walk is a disaster in waiting. Cyclists regularly breaking the red light there and buses switching from left to right lane with the Cyclists doing the opposite. Nearly saw a cyclist under a bus the other day after breaking a red light. Before people start moaning I both drive and cycle.
    A blanket 30km/h speed limit is stupid imo. It should be targeted and either way when you have stupid cyclists and drivers theres always going to be some accidents unfortunately.
    Yeah yeah yeah it's only ever people cycling that break red lights. It's never people driving.
    There's no need for a speed limit reduction. We just need to ban cycling :rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1298582540232646659?s=19

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    It's stunning how these busy fools can create something with so much detail in so many pages, yet the end result is still so objectively wrong.

Not from the viewpoint of an entitled driver, but from a basic application of common sense: 30km/h on 4-lane dual carriageways is just too damn slow.

If they want to promote cycling, then spend the money put into these reviews on a (gas-masked and essential) council field trip to Eindhoven and see how it's really done, then let them come back and figure out how to apply that here.
    You don't get it. It's not about promoting cycling. It's about making the roads safer because dickhead self-entitled drivers persist in making the roads more dangerous for people cycling and walking.
    Let me ask you: would you let your kids cycle to school and if not, why?

Advertisement