Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

there's one case from about 2002. the year on year rate has remained at zero for nearly two decades.

the thread is about speed limits for motorised vehicles. to be fair, i'm rather stupidly responding to your attempt at deflection.

Well your statements have now admittedly been proven to be incorrect, and you have no further valid arguments, so the expected strategy to claim thread derailment is expected.

Look, I have no problem with lowering speed limits if deemed necessary. The only difference between me and you is that I ask why, and the answers I see so far range from the ridiculous to the absurd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

begbysback wrote: »
    Well your statements have now admittedly been proven to be incorrect
    y'wha?
    i did not say there have been no other road users killed by cyclists, i said the rate in an urban context is zero.
    do you want me to explain this to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

y'wha?
    i did not say there have been no other road users killed by cyclists, i said the rate in an urban context is zero.
    do you want me to explain this to you?

You're being sucked down into the rabbithole. Resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's got nothing to do with the thread topic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Engine emissions from cars sitting on Chesterfield Avenue must surely be offsetting any potential environmental gain.

Should be a petition to get motorists to switch off their engines when stuck sitting in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Phil.x wrote: »
    The petition creator complains that it takes an hour to drive Chesterfield Ave whilst Google Maps says it takes 54mins to walk it.
    Hmmm, it's too much for her and her signatories to walk through a park to enjoy the park???
    Gob****es!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

No thanks.

Is there a petition to keep the gates closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

that's got nothing to do with the thread topic?

Yes it has, park will come under the 30kmph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

micar wrote: »
    No thanks.

Is there a petition to keep the gates closed?

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/no-more-traffic-through-phoenix-park

When googling for it, this was the second petition that came up. Dat ratio :Dhttps://my.uplift.ie/petitions/allow-traffic-to-continue-through-the-phoenix-park

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stark wrote: »
    Should be a petition to get motorists to switch off their engines when stuck sitting in traffic.

Pretty much all cars less than 10 years old do that automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Signed and shared, thanks.

The petition creator complains that it takes an hour to drive Chesterfield Ave whilst Google Maps says it takes 54mins to walk it.
    Hmmm, it's too much for her and her signatories to walk through a park to enjoy the park???
    Gob****es!

Ahh that would be using your brain, better to be an idiot and start a petition

Stark wrote: »

Signed the stop traffic

Let’s see if we can hammer the let traffic in :-)

It’s will be 0kmph :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Duckjob wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think 30kph limits are their own are going to be that effective, unless you have proper enforcement, and enforcement is something we really suck at in Ireland.

To do it properly, follow what the Dutch do - change the streetscape so that the speed you want drivers to drive at is self-enforced through the streetscape design- narrow roads, chicanes, street furniture like plants and trees, raised areas with paved stones (increases road noise in the car and signals to driver slower speed is approriate) , raised areas at junctions etc etc.

At the same time, give the space over to other methods for people to get around - walking, cycling and good public transport links. You need to tip the balance of convenience firmly in favour of these over the car.

The Dutch have mastered this method and the results are really obvious. Go to Amsterdam (or any Dutch city) and observe the driving style. There's a calmness and maturity from people driving in the cities there that is a complete contrast with what's on show in Dublin for example, where people are racing to get to the next red light.
    Most people in south dublin drive pretty respectfully. You may occassionally get the hurried mum up the ass but mostly people obey limits and aren't tailgating.
    on the other hand I find the drivers in Tallaght very hurried (for example) so it isn't universal either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

You may occassionally get the hurried mum up the ass

Not my thing but whatever floats your boat.

uh, the petition says nothing about retaining the existing limit. it's only about the gates.

uh, the petition says nothing about retaining the existing limit. it's only about the gates.

It’s nothing todo with the speed limit, it’s just someone who is afraid of their life they might have to get out of a car so plastering it all over boards....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most people in south dublin drive pretty respectfully. You may occassionally get the hurried mum up the ass but mostly people obey limits and aren't tailgating.
    on the other hand I find the drivers in Tallaght very hurried (for example) so it isn't universal either way.

As someone who has lived the majority of their life in South Dublin, I hope you don't drive as your observation skills are clearly lacking. The N11 is nothing but tailgating, bus lane to skip queues, running reds, mobile phone using, tail gating mayhem. Regularly have locals doing 60 to 80 off the main roads doing the rat runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I call BS on this statement, or you don't drive much these days, or you have been very very lucky (to the point of being a complete statistical outlier). Try and drive at 50 (or whatever the limit is) anywhere in Ireland, the hallowed streets of south Dublin included, and it wont be long before you get someone trying to go for a crazy overtake, speed up before lights change, or the current favourite of pressing the horn.

(And why a hurried mum as your chosen stereotype? In my experience, most people are at it.
    Speeding is completely accepted and is ingrained in the culture as is red light jumping is becoming)

kenmm wrote: »
    Speeding is completely accepted and is ingrained in the culture as is red light jumping is becoming)

Or maybe lowering speed limits to an unnecessary degree encourages what is then perceived to be “speeding” ?

begbysback wrote: »
    Or maybe lowering speed limits to an unnecessary degree encourages what is then perceived to be “speeding” ?

maybe, who knows. But to suggest that South Dublin drivers somehow have a higher standard of quality and respectful driving is a joke.

The quality of driving in this country is pi!ss poor in general (I am not talking about speeding here - I mean in general).

CramCycle wrote: »
    As someone who has lived the majority of their life in South Dublin, I hope you don't drive as your observation skills are clearly lacking. The N11 is nothing but tailgating, bus lane to skip queues, running reds, mobile phone using, tail gating mayhem. Regularly have locals doing 60 to 80 off the main roads doing the rat runs.
    Well glad you brought it up, I'm actually an awful driver, with awful observation skills, no social skills and probably racist.
    I drive the speed limit myself and am not seeing what you see, maybe you have something wrong with your observation or social skills?
    maybe, who knows. But to suggest that South Dublin drivers somehow have a higher standard of quality and respectful driving is a joke.
    Not a joke, but don't take my word for it, I'm racist and entitled
    I call BS on this statement, or you don't drive much these days, or you have been very very lucky (to the point of being a complete statistical outlier). Try and drive at 50 (or whatever the limit is) anywhere in Ireland, the hallowed streets of south Dublin included, and it wont be long before you get someone trying to go for a crazy overtake, speed up before lights change, or the current favourite of pressing the horn.

(And why a hurried mum as your chosen stereotype? In my experience, most people are at it.
    Grand,it's all my fault, and for hurried mum you insert your approved stereotype.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well glad you brought it up, I'm actually an awful driver, with awful observation skills, no social skills and probably racist.
    I don't know if being a racist affects driving but it might. Social skills, it really depends on what specific ones you are missing but if they are all gone, then this would likely affect your behaviour on the road as well. I am concerned though that you admit poor observation skills but still drive, it is pretty selfish. I am also surprised as most drivers with poor observational skills tend to be unaware (in my experience) that they have poor observational skills, so not sure what to do with that one. As for being an awful driver, that's your concern, my concern is whether you are a safe driver.
    I drive the speed limit myself and am not seeing what you see, maybe you have something wrong with your observation or social skills?
    It is a conundrum, but I have observed it. Not sure why you would think there is anything wrong with my social skills, I probably am more blunt and forthcoming as it cuts out the BS. I think people tend to remember the bad drivers they observe more than the good ones, or that used to be the thinking. Maybe I am a statistical outlier, that this only happens while I am commuting? I don't know. I tend to drive under the speed limit as traffic dictates it. I go close to the speed limit when it is safe to do so. In these situations, it is a rare thing that I am not overtaken repeatedly on the N11. Maybe my speedo is broken. I do notice everyone slows down heading northbound before the bend on the N11 at the turn into Stillorgan, same in the other direction at the Galloping green, so I know its possible for people to drive at or under the speed limit when the roads are quieter. I think typically at heavier traffic times, there will be a minimum of two but typically closer to 4 vehicles that run red lights each time they change. At quieter times, it seems to be a flip of the coin. Same with phone use, its actually worse since the lockdown in my opinion. I often see cars sitting motionless after a light goes green as they appear to be watching videos on their phone.

Anyway, not sure what time you drive at but we obviously are travelling at very different times, so maybe not comparable.

Not a joke, but don't take my word for it, I'm racist and entitled

Grand,it's all my fault, and for hurried mum you insert your approved stereotype.

hey - just saying my experience doesn't match up with yours - be as racist, entitled, socially inept as you like!

hey - just saying my experience doesn't match up with yours - be as racist, entitled, socially inept as you like!
    Thanks for the boost, I'll be even more racist and crass now.
    I think the crass fits in here pretty good though

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't know if being a racist affects driving but it might.

Shouting out the window at passers by, and taking hand off steering wheel to shake fist vigorously, surely doesn’t help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Was driving along by the quays/Dublin castle and saw the new 30 km/h signs, which I promptly obeyed,

Everybody else was going past me though :cool:

Advertisement