Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You cannot be an Irish nationalist and support a foreign monarchy downcow.

Misrepresenting again.
    You know is was referring to british people who love the union but don’t support the monarchy.

I absolutely never referred to Irish nationalists supporting the monarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 67,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Francie. Just for once admit when you are wrong.

Yes I used the term ‘traditional nationalist’. In ni that means someone who was reared in the nationalist community - and well you know it !

Who cannot be counted as Irish Nationalists downcow if they support the UK.

They are unionists, why would they be wound up by their flag?

:) ah right. Everybody is hiding their voting intentions until the big day. Ok, if that helps you sleep I suppose.

It won't be an all Ireland poll btw...it will be 2 separate polls. And both of them must be Yes to unity. So a Unionist vote will be a big potato where there are more of them (hint - in the place where an artificial majority was created for them)

Who was it created that ‘artificial majority’ Francie?
    You can’t blame the big bad brits for that one.

Who cannot be counted as Irish Nationalists downcow if they support the UK.

They are unionists, why would they be wound up by their flag?

Very difficult to have a discussion with you Francie when you dance on the head of a pin

Threatening a fledgling country with 'immediate and terrible war' would incur a lot of blame. Mustering thousands of men and weapons and threatening sedition of you don't get your sectarian bigoted way would also incur a fair share of the blame.

• Advertisement

Very difficult to have a discussion with you Francie when you dance on the head of a pin

Don't use terminology that is wrong so. If you support the UK you are not an Irish nationalist and you won't therefore be 'wound up' by the flag of that union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭droidman123

I think this is a mad counterproductive idea like something the dup would come up with. I am so glad it will not apply to ni. Would only wind up the many traditional nationalists who currently support the union.

If they support the union why would they be wound up over the flying of the union flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

The poll is a nonsense as it opens with rediculous assumptions eg unionists will accept it - my goodness that means I will accept it. I am actually surprised anyone in Roi will stand in the way if that list of assumptions is trus.

Ah ffs man, I came up with the poll after 5 minutes deep thought about the assumptions give me a break!

I think the poll results are interesting though, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Francie. Just for once admit when you are wrong.

Yes I used the term ‘traditional nationalist’. In ni that means someone who was reared in the nationalist community - and well you know it !

"Cultural Nationalist" would be a more appropriate and accurate term lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

JimmyVik wrote: »
    No, its not the equivalent. Nowhere near it :)

I notice on the poll thread a lot of people saying Ireland can afford the North.
    Once they find out what will be coming out of their own pocket for it they might think a little more about that one :)

Yeats will be turning in his grave!

What need you, being come to sense,

But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And prayer to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone;

For men were born to pray and save:

Romantic Ireland’s dead and gone,

It’s with O’Leary in the grave.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57309/september-1913

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

jm08 wrote: »

Yeats wont be voting either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭briany

The way things are progressing it wouldn't appear at the moment that any compromise towards unionists would be required to get it to pass. So if no compromise is necessary, then why bother? As has been pointed out unionism will not be satisfied with any form of Irish unity, so what would throwing them a bone achieve?

I can see the process already, a government that thinks it's being responsible will construct a referendum for unity which requires symbols etc to be changed. Such a referendum would likely pass but a nationalist government at a later point, lookups for an easy political win would quickly propose reversing it.

The only way unity is a success is through assimilation and absorption. Expecting the majority to change for an unpleasable minority will be a disaster.

I think it's the attitude of 'no compromise' toward British Unionists which makes many of them so afraid of the idea of UI. There's a certain ambiguity to the phrase 'no compromise' because it could mean no compromises beyond the freedoms they currently have, or it could mean no compromise where their culture is forcibly suppressed and they face discrimination at every turn.

But in whatever way the phrase is meant, I'm not sure it's true to say that no compromise is necessary. It shouldn't be assumed that every NI Nationalist/Catholic would vote for a UI because at least some of them would have economic concerns about what a UI would actually mean. Having no border on the island is one thing, but that doesn't put food on the table, and it doesn't assuage fears of losing the NHS and what that means.

And unless our collective memories are very short, it was only a few years ago that we saw the UK undertake a divisive and very close referendum of their own, and 'We won, you lost. No compromise." led to years of political infighting and lasting bitterness. I don't think it's a model to be followed.

If they support the union why would they be wound up over the flying of the union flag?

I think you know.
    They grew up as nationalists, have Irish culture and identity and don’t like the ‘butchers apron’ but they like the ni identity and love the benifits of living in the U.K.

Ah ffs man, I came up with the poll after 5 minutes deep thought about the assumptions give me a break!

I think the poll results are interesting though, what do you think?

Why did you need to put in assumptions? Why not let people think for themselves?

"Cultural Nationalist" would be a more appropriate and accurate term lad.

I am ok with that terminology, but thank you for confirming that you know exactly what I meant. We just need Francie to catch up now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The Union fleg will not be making an every day return to buildings in the north

I am ok with that terminology, but thank you for confirming that you know exactly what I meant. We just need Francie to catch up now

You tried to say the flag issue was one that would only upset people who were born into nationalist homes.

They aren't nationalists they are Unionists downcow if they support the 'Union' and they aren't the ones upset...as I showed in the article I posted about the DUP. Belligerent Unionism is upset....as usual.

You tried to say the flag issue was one that would only upset people who were born into nationalist homes.

They aren't nationalists they are Unionists downcow if they support the 'Union' and they aren't the ones upset...as I showed in the article I posted about the DUP. Belligerent Unionism is upset....as usual.

Francie you are on your own now. Everyone else clearly knows what I said. You are trolling

Francie you are on your own now. Everyone else clearly knows what I said. You are trolling

I knew what you said at the time downcow. You were trying to make a point about only people who were born into nationalist homes would be upset and you were 'concerned' about them.

You were as usual trying to make the best of something. The only people upset by this so far are belligerent Unionists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭trashcan

Why not, since it was them partitioned the Country ?

trashcan wrote: »
    Why not, since it was them partitioned the Country ?

I got an education on this forum. Seems it wasn’t the brits partitioned the island but rather the ROI invited OWC to stay in the UK if they wished. So I don’t know how you blame the brits for that?

Because PARLIAMENT IS SOVEREIGN in the UK, here the people are sovereign, constitutional change here can only be brought about by referendum.

So was there a referendum last time ni was allowed to separate from ‘Ireland’?

So was there a referendum last time ni was allowed to separate from ‘Ireland’?

Our first constitution was written in 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Saw Biden today talking about what ‘the Brits’ did to his ancestors, the arc of history is long! Can imagine Dodds and Sammy Wilson fit to burst with rage when they heard the comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Saw Biden today talking about what ‘the Brits’ did to his ancestors, the arc of history is long! Can imagine Dodds and Sammy Wilson fit to burst with rage when they heard the comment!

He did get his geography wrong though. The Irish sea isn't between Ireland and the US

Rodin wrote: »
    He did get his geography wrong though. The Irish sea isn't between Ireland and the US

Not sure he did, he said his great grandfather got on a coffin shop in the Irish Sea, didn’t say it crossed the Irish Sea, just that was where his ancestor boarded. Anyway, we’’d have forgiven him the mistake if he’d made it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Rodin wrote: »

A lot of the famine trails headed to Dublin.

Wonder do the unionists mind at all that the Brits were following policies that saw people starving to death during the 19th Century? Or do they realise that the plantation of Ulster was an awful thing? Or the shooting of people on Bloody Sunday was ano outrage? Most nationalists despise most of what the RA did from the 70s onwards, do the unionists mind in the least? They really don’t seem to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭trashcan

I got an education on this forum. Seems it wasn’t the brits partitioned the island but rather the ROI invited OWC to stay in the UK if they wished. So I don’t know how you blame the brits for that?

The Government of Ireland Act 1920 partitioned the island and pre dated the treaty. There was already a northern parliament up and running before the treaty.

Advertisement