Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Stark wrote: »
    OMG.

That dog's not wearing a helmet!

black dog as well. No one has a hope of seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stark wrote: »
    OMG.

That dog's not wearing a helmet!

And yet he never gets hurt? Go figure!

ewc78 wrote: »
    Ultimately no one was hurt though eh?!!

At the end of the day, that's all that matters...am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    black dog as well. No one has a hope of seeing him.

Canine lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Hurrache wrote: »
    But he's all in black, how on earth would you even know he or she is there?

Telepathy.

• Advertisement

You really didn't. You said : "All parks". What does that mean? All the parks in the country? All in Dublin? All in Dublin City Council?

Are you just being obtuse or what? And yes, the nature of the signage IS significant, mainly because there's a chance that it doesn't actually exist.

So please, what park(s) and what sign(s) please?

No, I've been told I'm very acute rather than obtuse.

Pretty sure I said all parks in Dublin run/managed by DCC, seeing as we were referring to their bye-laws. Pretty sure I also said this wouldn't apply to the Phoenix Park as it's run by the OPW.

The signage exists. There are big circles with the number 10 inside the circles, and they're painted wherever there's a picture of a bicycle painted on a cycle track. You can't miss them. Please don't accuse me of being a liar, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

micar wrote: »
    Correct a bus stop every few hundred metres.

What you are staying is that the safety of a cyclist is less important than the small delay that may be experienced by the bus and it's passengers.

Nope, I haven't said that the bus should dangerously overtake the cyclist. As a driver, I stay behind the cyclist until I'm 100% sure that (a) I can clear them safely and (b) I'm not going to have to stop again shortly afterwards, thus forcing them to stop or slow down. Although if they're cycling in a bus lane (like on the Stillorgan Rd, where there is a cycle lane provided) then "(b)" goes right out the window because they don't deserve that extra courtesy. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I get extra pleasure out of making them sit behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Another exceedingly rare event captured on camera

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1277882172251279367?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had to block Alan D on Twitter. I don't know how he lives his life constantly outraged by driver behaviour, him and another guy called right2bike or something who I also blocked, I can see them getting killed on their bikes one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Another exceedingly rare event captured on camera

I don't think anyone is claiming red light jumping is rare in Dublin. It's ridiculous at this stage. We could probably fund a moon base with 6 months of red light cameras :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Nope, I haven't said that the bus should dangerously overtake the cyclist. As a driver, I stay behind the cyclist until I'm 100% sure that (a) I can clear them safely and (b) I'm not going to have to stop again shortly afterwards, thus forcing them to stop or slow down. Although if they're cycling in a bus lane (like on the Stillorgan Rd, where there is a cycle lane provided) then "(b)" goes right out the window because they don't deserve that extra courtesy. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I get extra pleasure out of making them sit behind me.

I will let you in on a little secret......cyclists are allowed to cycle on the road even if there is a cycle lane. You might want to share that with your colleagues.

I know the stillorgan road very well and I cycled up and down the N11 from town to loughlinstown 4 days a week for about 8 years.

What the latter part of your post is saying is if there is a cyclist ahead of me on the road, I will overtake that cyclist knowing I am coming up to a bus to stop and I'll have to stop in order to teach them a lesson.

That sort of action poses a danger to a cyclist. And you get pleasure from this as you feel a lack of courtsey from the cyclist.

And you're a professional driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I had to block Alan D on Twitter. I don't know how he lives his life constantly outraged by driver behaviour, him and another guy called right2bike or something who I also blocked, I can see them getting killed on their bikes one day.

Some people I believe go out of their way to find things to offend or annoy them.
    I don't see the point to it at all. Fully convinced those type only go out cycling to catch people doing something so that they can then be all smug about posting about it on social media.
    Any cyclists I know wouldn't be bothered with any of that nonsense, they wouldn't be long being told to cop on to themselves if they did start.

That sort of action poses a danger to a cyclist. And you get pleasure from this as you feel a lack of courtsey from the cyclist.

It poses no danger to a cyclist.

The cyclist can either

a) wait for the bus to pull away, or

b) if it is safe to do so, overtake the bus while it is stopped.

If it is not possible to do b), then the choice is removed, and the cyclist is foreced to do a). Nobody is forcing the cyclist to do

c) perform an unsafe overtaking maneouver.

It's entirely their own choice to do so.

If they do not want to have to overtake buses stopped to take on passengers (which is keeping those passengers out of cars, so yay!), then they could use segregated cycle lanes where they exist.

FinnC wrote: »
    Some people I believe go out of their way to find things to offend or annoy them.
    I don't see the point to it at all. Fully convinced those type only go out cycling to catch people doing something so that they can then be all smug about posting about it on social media.
    Any cyclists I know wouldn't be bothered with any of that nonsense, they wouldn't be long being told to cop on to themselves if they did start.

Yeah i know.. more whataboutery... but dashcam footage is quite popular on the Motors forum..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975411

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Don't forget the bad parking thread over there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I will let you in on a little secret......cyclists are allowed to cycle on the road even if there is a cycle lane. You might want to share that with your colleagues.

I know the stillorgan road very well and I cycled up and down the N11 from town to loughlinstown 4 days a week for about 8 years.

What the latter part of your post is saying is if there is a cyclist ahead of me on the road, I will overtake that cyclist knowing I am coming up to a bus to stop and I'll have to stop in order to teach them a lesson.

And you're a professional driver.

Was waiting for that one ..

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey I understand that some cycle lanes suck. I own a bike myself.. Kerbs, gravel and glass. But some are perfectly fine.

Its downright ignorant that a cycle would chose to block a lane rather than use a well maintained cycle lane running beside it. Bus lanes are designed so that buses can get ahead of traffic and make good time.
    Cycles (and taxis) should NOT be allowed in them if there is a designated cycle lane running beside it. I think this will be the case when bus connects comes on line.

Also its a strange decision for a cycle, as being away from traffic is almost certainly the safer option. .

And its the sort of action that fuels the wave of hate towards a person choosing to cycle. Which is very evident with these threads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last time i was on the N11 on the bike i couldn't use the cycle lane in several places, it was so full of debris.

Just had a look at yer man Alan D's twitter feed. He made a really good point a couple of days ago - "Who designs this stuff?"

There's clearly some sort of major roadblock (no pun intended) when you have anti-car Owen Keegan in charge in DCC yet it still takes the best part of a decade to get the Liffey cycle way going; and as pointed out on multiple posts and threads, the (lack of) infrastructure design is often appalling - cycle lanes that randomly disappear, or spew cyclists out into a roundabout, etc.

Do the cycling lobby groups not get invited into the likes of DCC to discuss plans and designs? Is this something they look for now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Also its a strange decision for a cycle, as being away from traffic is almost certainly the safer option. .
    the way many cycle lanes are designed in ireland often increase danger. they take the cyclists away from traffic when you're not near junctions - i.e. where the danger is least - and dump the cyclists back onto the road at the junctions, actually increasing the danger - because the cyclist has not been in the mental radar of the motorists, the motorists have made less allowance for them.

in short, they make the safe bits safer and the more dangerous bits more dangerous.
    one example - the cycle lane northbound as you approach fosters avenue hides the cyclist behind the bus stop just before merging them with left turning traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.303105,-6.2079621,3a,75y,292.88h,69.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg88zLvXIGlbcr8SlJYRQ0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yeah i know.. more whataboutery... but dashcam footage is quite popular on the Motors forum..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975411

I was specifically talking about the type of character Thelonious Monk mentioned in his post. As a cyclist myself it's not something me or any of my group would have interest in being like, and as welcoming as we try to be you wouldn't get away with being like that if you're out with us.
    I'm not against dash cams or go pros in anyway, going out of your way to find material so you can post about it doesn't interest me in the slightest though.

I was specifically talking about the type of character Thelonious Monk mentioned in his post. As a cyclist myself it's not something me or any of my group would have interest in being like, and as welcoming as we try to be you wouldn't get away with being like that if you're out with us.
    I'm not against dash cams or go pros in anyway, going out of your way to find material so you can post about it doesn't interest me in the slightest though.

Me neither, but i find that i don't have to "go out of my way to find material to post". I find stuff happens every day and i wouldn't have a dedication these guys have to post video after video online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Me neither, but i find that i don't have to "go out of my way to find material to post". I find stuff happens every day and i wouldn't have a dedication these guys have to post video after video online.

In other words, they have no life...

And frankly it's not surprising.

I don't think anyone has suggested that it is compulsory to post such materials, or indeed to follow people on social media who do post such materials.

There is lots of stuff on social media that doesn't interest me. I don't follow the people who post that material. I don't judge them for posting stuff that doesn't float my boat.

Its downright ignorant that a cycle would chose to block a lane rather than use a well maintained cycle lane running beside it. .

Cyclists don't block lanes. They use lanes, same as other road users.

I'd love to know how much time bus drivers spend in bus lanes behind cyclists, compared to time spent behind cars, or blocked by parked cars, vans and trucks.

I'd love to take out a deck chair and sit down at the key point on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well it's that Alan D bloke, I mean he reports near misses and all kinds of mad sh*t like every day. I just have to ignore all the close passes as best as I can, if I was to live the way he does posting about them all the time etc. my nerves would be frayed. Maybe what he's doing is for the greater good but I don't know where he gets the energy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's posting in this thread, so sorry Al, but you should prob give it a rest for a while.

meeeeh wrote: »
    In other words, they have no life...

And frankly it's not surprising.

No life? Who are we to criticise? What about the rest of us still posting on this thread? I’m an old man with no social life! What’s your excuse? :)

in short, they make the safe bits safer and the more dangerous bits more dangerous.
    one example - the cycle lane northbound as you approach fosters avenue hides the cyclist behind the bus stop just before merging them with left turning traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.303105,-6.2079621,3a,75y,292.88h,69.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg88zLvXIGlbcr8SlJYRQ0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Know it so well.......crazy that the cycle lane merges into a left turn only.

Have to be so careful of passengers alighting from the bus as there invariably walk across the cycle lane with looking.

For me the junction before that (just after the bridge) is worse.

That's one place where a cyclist would actually be better to be on the road.

• Advertisement

It poses no danger to a cyclist.

The cyclist can either

a) wait for the bus to pull away, or

b) if it is safe to do so, overtake the bus while it is stopped.

If it is not possible to do b), then the choice is removed, and the cyclist is foreced to do a). Nobody is forcing the cyclist to do

c) perform an unsafe overtaking maneouver.

It's entirely their own choice to do so.

If they do not want to have to overtake buses stopped to take on passengers (which is keeping those passengers out of cars, so yay!), then they could use segregated cycle lanes where they exist.

If you read my initial post on this issue.......I was asking why a bus driver feels the need to overtake a cyclist knowing that they are coming up near to a bus stop where they will have to pull in across the path of a cyclist to stop.

I didn't say anything about a cyclist overtaking a bus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement