Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

i recently had a 10 day wait for an item that had been tracked to Ireland/ An Post. 10 days from it arriving in Ireland. it sounds unlikely but im not the only one!

If that’s Amazon, it hasn’t arrived in Ireland. They give you the dispatch date, but this is from an Amazon facility somewhere. The An Post tracking is already generated but won’t scan until it arrives at An Post, in about 8/9 days. All mine last week are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

rock22 wrote: »
    RasTa, it is you that makes no sense.
    As already pointed out to you by Car99, if they are delaying items because of capacity then the number of items grows continually. Whether it is by 10000 a day or 100000 a day doesn't matter. The delays would then have to get longer and longer .
    They are not dispatching items o nthe same day to Irish customers as UK customers, simple.

Well orders aren't the same every day so the backlog usually takes a week to clear. There are 17 FC's and probably 40 sort centers in the UK. They have 1000's of their own delivery drivers on top of using Royal Mail, DPD, UPS, Hermes etc to deliver their stuff in the UK. They employ 30k people in the UK alone. That is the task that's needed for next day delivery.

2 day delivery I dunno if it was ever possible in Ireland but that's the commitment you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

For me an Amazon order from UK took two and a half weeks to arrive, an Ebay order also from UK is currently two weeks and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

tdf7187 wrote: »
    For me an Amazon order from UK took two and a half weeks to arrive, an Ebay order also from UK is currently two weeks and counting.

Are you paying £8 a month for eBay prime 2 day delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’ve actually given up on expecting amazon orders on time anymore. There’s just no point. They arrive eventually but it seems 2 to 4 weeks is the norm now.

Also finding Parcel Motel seems to be very slow. I sent an item from Cork to Dublin using their outbound service and was expecting it to be overnight or maybe 2 days at most. It took a full 5 days and the tracking went dead for the first 3 so, it was just sitting in a warehouse in Cork or Dublin all that time.

They seem to all be backlogged due to high demand and probably due to socially distracted work practices they’re slower than normal. I get the impression Amazon also are failing to get some stock in where it’s delivered to warehouses just in time by suppliers.

I ordered from Boots and it took weeks too.

My guess is none of them will significantly invest in extra capacity as they think this is just a spike in demand which will slow as shops reopen and also social distancing rules may ease in a few months, so investing a huge amount to modify or expand sorting centres may be pointless if this is all somewhat back to normal by mid 2021.

Unless someone else starts delivering much more quickly, I can’t see any pressure coming on any of those companies to speed things up.

Other than for Prime Video, and the case for that is marginal, I can’t really see why I’m paying for that anymore. It’s just too slow to be worthwhile.

Seems Ireland is also very much end of the supply chain and whatever about Amazon HQ in the USA, their British colleagues see us as an outpost of the U.K. market, as do almost all other U.K. chains.

I’ve seen way better service from US, continental European and other retailers and service providers who don’t have that mental bias.

I think in many ways we would be better of seeing Amazon.eu setup and Ireland included in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tried to order two CDs of kid's stories for my grandchildren. Both fulfilled (dispatched and sold by) by Amazon.co.uk. One won't go through as not available to an Irish address. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Tried to order two CDs of kid's stories for my grandchildren. Both fulfilled (dispatched and sold by) by Amazon.co.uk. One won't go through as not available to an Irish address. WTF?

It seems that CDs that come with an MP3 version won't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

VG31 wrote: »

No MP3 version included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    No MP3 version included.

Then it falls into the won't ship to Ireland for no explicable reason category.

I'd order one from a private seller. Postage to Ireland tends to be cheap for CDs. Just don't order from dodax-online (they sell a lot of CDs/DVDs) unless you don't mind waiting a month for it to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Are you paying £8 a month for eBay prime 2 day delivery?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Nope.

And that’s why so many of us are frustrated - we are paying for Prime, and no receiving the service promised. U.K. customers get their packages dispatched promptly, while us Irish mugs pay up but still get **** service. If you paid for a first class seat but got booted down to economy just because you’re waiving an Irish passport you’d be annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Same experience, prime member, ordered item last Friday, due for delivery next week. By Tuesday wasn't dispatched. Cancelled and reordered to PM. Dispatched Wednesday, in my hand Thursday night. PM making a killing off this issue id magine.

Where does it say the T+C's for Irish Prime customers? I'd like to have a read as to what is promised.

Never mind, found it
    Unlimited Priority (Two-Day) Delivery to the Republic of Ireland (ROI). Threshold free on eligible items, at no extra cost. If items are not eligible for Priority Delivery, they’ll be delivered to the ROI via Standard (3-4 days) or Economy (3-5 days) Delivery at no extra cost.

Seems it needs to be removed.

Seems they should just cancel Prime for Ireland. We already get a much more restricted video platform, now we’re getting crap deliveries too. It’s really hard to see what value add a Prime actually delivers to Irish customers.

Oh, and apparently the delivery timelines refer to items dispatched. The countdown doesn’t start until dispatch (not time orders like the average customer believes)

You don't even get to watch the premiership games as well. Scrap it. Chat is useless as it's someone in India on 1 pound an hour. Need to go higher but who knows where to start.

Seems they should just cancel Prime for Ireland. We already get a much more restricted video platform, now we’re getting crap deliveries too. It’s really hard to see what value add a Prime actually delivers to Irish customers.

Oh, and apparently the delivery timelines refer to items dispatched. The countdown doesn’t start until dispatch (not time orders like the average customer believes)

Yes was also told this. A cheeky service rep said for me to show where they they promise 2 day dispatch.

Whatever about Amazon HQ in the USA, it's fairly clear that Amazon UK doesn't give a toss about this market and sees it as just an add on to their home market. Sure half the time we're using Parcel Motel and Address Pal to facilitate deliveries that they won't make anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

While it's a pain the 2 day delivery to IE seems to be out the window at the moment, the fact we don't pay delivery on pretty much everything I order is still worth the annual prime sub we pay.

Personally I can deal with 3-4 days as long as it's free with no minimum spend.

While it's a pain the 2 day delivery to IE seems to be out the window at the moment, the fact we don't pay delivery on pretty much everything I order is still worth the annual prime sub we pay.

Personally I can deal with 3-4 days as long as it's free with no minimum spend.

3-4 days??? I would be delighted with that. Most people are waiting 2 weeks for dispatch!

3-4 days??? I would be delighted with that. Most people are waiting 2 weeks for dispatch!

Out of the 6 -7 things ordered recently all except one arrived within the week, one took a fortnight (didn't need In a hurry and was free postage).

I see sometimes when you order stuff there is a delivery date guarantee, has a time tried to claim on that (it says compensation is possible when you have received free delivery).

• Advertisement

Out of the 6 -7 things ordered recently all except one arrived within the week, one took a fortnight (didn't need In a hurry and was free postage).

I see sometimes when you order stuff there is a delivery date guarantee, has a time tried to claim on that (it says compensation is possible when you have received free delivery).

Shipped to an Irish address?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

My dispatch times afor the last few orders re down to a 'mere' 5 to 6 days from 10 to 12 after I complained for the millionth time.

Order placed 12 June - delivery expected this Thursday

Order placed 24 May - delivered 4 June

Order placed 14 May - delivered 31 May

These are all ‘in stock, fulfilled by Amazon’ products... they were all £50+ orders so probably would qualify for free delivery to Ireland anyway, so no Prime benefit. Yet if I’d requested Parcel Motel delivery they would have been delivered within 2 days (and probably next day)

Shipped to an Irish address?

Yep, Dublin.

They were small low priced items although that shouldn't make any difference. Have ordered something today and it told me delivery is 1 July which isn't great but it's still free delivery.

Back when i signed up for prime a few years ba k it was more the free postage than delivery time that sold me.

VG31 wrote: »

Someone ticked the "Don't ship outside the UK" box. There's no sometimes no logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Amazon gave me two free one-month trials of Prime last year. Even then, pre-covid, it wasn't great. I can't figure out why they expect anyone in Ireland to actually pay for this service.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you like the specific video content they have it may be worth it. No other element is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Amazon gave me two free one-month trials of Prime last year. Even then, pre-covid, it wasn't great. I can't figure out why they expect anyone in Ireland to actually pay for this service.

It was excellent pre-covid. Order something on a Monday or Tuesday and you'd have it by the end of the week. Now you're lucky if you have it in two weeks.

Prime Video is very meh. A few excellent TV series, a couple of great films, and an absolute swamp of filler. Pales hugely in comparison to Netflix's own content or it's content.

I hope it increases to 3 or 4 weeks until people stop using amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Just cancelled my student prime there and took 2 months of refund (a whole £8) from them. Service has been ****e and there's very little on prime video to even make it worth £4 a month without the quicker deliveries. I'll go crawling back once they sort it.

Advertisement