Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

sgarvan wrote: »
    Was onto Amazon chat again to day over this as an item I have in basket has 10 day difference between UK & ROI.

Ireland Delivery Date - FREE delivery: Friday, June 26 Details
    Northern Ireland Delivery Date - FREE delivery: Thursday, June 18
    UK Delivery Date - FREE delivery: Tomorrow

These are some of the comments from the customer service agent.

They are new excuses you have to give them that.

I had one lad tell me it was my fault that I hadn't chosen express delivery at the checkout, when I pointed out there is no option for express delivery at the checkout he vanished and a new guy started the chat.

Another one they like to tell you is that they can't do anything once the order is placed then they again vanish if you tell them that you've just cancelled the order and can they expedite the order before you make it :rolleyes: (yes I know thats impossible but that was the point after a long fruitless chat session with multiple reps).

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

So basically, if you've signed up to Prime for quick shipping, might as well cancel it if you're an Irish customer (or want to spend an extra €4 a parcel using Parcel Motel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

timetogo1 wrote: »
    So basically, if you've signed up to Prime for quick shipping, might as well cancel it if you're an Irish customer (or want to spend an extra €4 a parcel using Parcel Motel).

And risk an order of 5 items costing EUR 20 in Parcel Motel fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Wonder if one of the consumer journalists would be interested?

It’s really getting on my wick, and the CS Reps aren’t helpful or sympathetic - told I should shop elsewhere. As I commented on another Amazon thread, the CEOs executive office staff are just as bad blaming air freight from the U.K. to Dublin for the difference between using Parcel Motel and using Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

It’s really getting on my wick, and the CS Reps aren’t helpful or sympathetic - told I should shop elsewhere. As I commented on another Amazon thread, the CEOs executive office staff are just as bad blaming air freight from the U.K. to Dublin for the difference between using Parcel Motel and using Prime

Actually ordered something Wed and it was shipped Fri via AnPost !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What if Amazon where suddenly able to send An Post 50-100k parcels a day from Irish orders, every single day for 30 days.

What do you think would happen?

RasTa wrote: »
    What if Amazon where suddenly able to send An Post 50-100k parcels a day from Irish orders, every single day for 30 days.

What if Amazon where suddenly able to send An Post 50-100k parcels a day from Irish orders, every single day for 30 days after keeping the orders on hold for a week.

Answer: exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I live in a semi rural area , Just had my 1st scheduled Saturday Delivery by AnPost , i.e Got the Out for Delivery alert from Amazon earlier today , This fact along with an order I placed on Wednesday that was shipped yesterday leads me to believe changes for the good are happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Yes, definitely seeing improvements in dispatching times. Some items are now delivering in 5 days or so.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    What if Amazon where suddenly able to send An Post 50-100k parcels a day from Irish orders, every single day for 30 days after keeping the orders on hold for a week.

Answer: exactly the same.

Where exactly would An Post be able to store these pallets of orders? They are in amazon warehouses for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Ordered an item on the 14th, it was stated at time of order that delivery was due 25th. Item shipped today, and delivery now due 30th.

I have had a few conversations on chat over the last few months regarding the long delivery dates to Ireland v UK. Their Customer service agents don't care. I was always a big fan of amazon, but over the last year i have slowly moved to buying stuff elsewhere, their customer service over this last year is nothing compared to what it used to be and Prime delivery, even before covid-19, has slowed.

Where exactly would An Post be able to store these pallets of orders? They are in amazon warehouses for a reason.

Pushing the orders 7 days down the road doesn't reduce the amount of orders or the amount that has to be shipped does it?

100k orders (as an example) shipped straight away is no different from 100k orders all shipped in a week. At some point or another the 100k orders are still being sent.

So today Amazon are shipping the 100k orders to Ireland that were made 7 days ago and An Post don't seem to have any problems with that.

The only reason that there can be any reduction in orders is that Irish customers are just saying fcuk you Amazon I'll buy elsewhere, maybe thats Amazons plan?

Pushing the orders 7 days down the road doesn't reduce the amount of orders or the amount that has to be shipped does it?

100k orders (as an example) shipped straight away is no different from 100k orders all shipped in a week. At some point or another the 100k orders are still being sent.

So today Amazon are shipping the 100k orders to Ireland that were made 7 days ago and An Post don't seem to have any problems with that.

The only reason that there can be any reduction in orders is that Irish customers are just saying fcuk you Amazon I'll buy elsewhere, maybe thats Amazons plan?

You're still not getting it. Amazon could do it no problem.

You're still not getting it. Amazon could do it no problem.

And An Post are delivering so why aren't Amazon doing it?

And An Post are delivering so why aren't Amazon doing it?

An post can't do that volume daily, simples. They get a set amount of pallets delivered daily at about 2am for delivery that day.

An post can't do that volume daily, simples. They get a set amount of pallets delivered daily at about 2am for delivery that day.

If that was true then the delivery dates would be changing constantly.

All the dates I have had are current date plus 10-11 days and dispatch has been a uniform 7-8 days from ordering.

An Post are delivering once shipped in 3 days or less so as I keep pointing out is all Amazon are doing (other than pissing off Irish Amazon Prime members) is moving the problem 7 days on. The same volumes are being sent just 7 days later than expected.

If that was true then the delivery dates would be changing constantly.

All the dates I have had are current date plus 10-11 days and dispatch has been a uniform 7-8 days from ordering.

An Post are delivering once shipped in 3 days or less so as I keep pointing out is all Amazon are doing (other than pissing off Irish Amazon Prime members) is moving the problem 7 days on. The same volumes are being sent just 7 days later than expected.

You're still not getting it. If Amazon shipped every order the next day then An post would have to stop delivering other mail and only concentrate on Amazon. There would be 500-1m worth of packages lost in An Post sorting system. They would have to buy tons more warehouse space to sort out the orders and when what gets shipped, hire extra staff to deal with the demand.

The postman are already working 7 days a week if they want atm.

You're still not getting it. If Amazon shipped every order the next day then An post would have to stop delivering other mail and only concentrate on Amazon. There would be 500-1m worth of packages lost in An Post sorting system. They would have to buy tons more warehouse space to sort out the orders and when what gets shipped, hire extra staff to deal with the demand.

The postman are already working 7 days a week if they want atm.

If the problem was like you are imagining it then delivery times would get worse and worse. You can't manage the problem as you imagine it just by holding the stock an extra week at Amazons warehouses.

If the problem was like you are imagining it then delivery times would get worse and worse. You can't manage the problem as you imagine it just by holding the stock an extra week at Amazons warehouses.

Why wouldn't you, it's your stock. You know it's going to take An Post 3 days to deliver it once it gets sent so you keep it so no backlog piles up for your delivery partner.

Basic logistics stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

Why wouldn't you, it's your stock. You know it's going to take An Post 3 days to deliver it once it gets sent so you keep it so no backlog piles up for your delivery partner.

Basic logistics stuff here.

It doesn't take 3 days in most cases though. All my An Post deliveries from Amazon over the last two months have been delivered the next working day (or at weekends sometimes) after it arrives in Dublin. Most items arrive in Dublin within 24 hours of dispatch except ones that come from warehouses in Germany or other non-UK locations.

I think it was April when An Post last took more than one working day to deliver an Amazon order to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TimHorton wrote: »
    Actually ordered something Wed and it was shipped Fri via AnPost !

I got a notification that 2 orders shipped, and gave the An Post tracking number. They are still giving a delivery date of 10 from then. Amazon tracking just says item has shipped.

VG31 wrote: »
    It doesn't take 3 days in most cases though. All my An Post deliveries from Amazon over the last two months have been delivered the next working day (or at weekends sometimes) after it arrives in Dublin. Most items arrive in Dublin within 24 hours of dispatch except ones that come from warehouses in Germany or other non-UK locations.

I think it was April when An Post last took more than one working day to deliver an Amazon order to me.

Maybe he lives somewhere more rural, it doesn't matter anyway. You all now know why your packages are taking longer to arrive.

Maybe he lives somewhere more rural, it doesn't matter anyway. You all now know why your packages are taking longer to arrive.

No we don't, all we know is what you imagine is the reason.

No we don't, all we know is what you imagine is the reason.

You do, you just choose not to believe for whatever reason. Doesn't Amazon tell you the expected delivery date when you order anyway?

The only way the wait time will come down as I said before if Amazon sets up a sort center in Ireland, employs 1000's of people to become part time delivery drivers, warehouse staff etc to get all your packages delivered the next day.

This won't be happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You do, you just choose not to believe for whatever reason. Doesn't Amazon tell you the expected delivery date when you order anyway?

The only way the wait time will come down as I said before if Amazon sets up a sort center in Ireland, employs 1000's of people to become part time delivery drivers, warehouse staff etc to get all your packages delivered the next day.

This won't be happening

Your saying that Amazon hold back dispatch because An Post can only deliver a certain amount per day.

Ok say theres 100,000 irish amazon orders per day and An post can only deliver 80,000. Amazon hold back 20,000.

So next day theres 100,000 orders amazon now have 40,000 on hold . After 10 days they have 200,000 on hold and this will keep growing by 20,000 every day .

If your theory holds up why arent expected dispatch times getting longer and longer instead of holding steady at 10 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Agree with a lot of folks here, the service level has fallen off a cliff this year. I ordered 2 caps on Sunday, one to addresspal, one to my house. I received the addresspal item yesterday, the one directly to my house is another 6 days away. Item sold and shipped by Amazon. To me this makes no sense really and strikes me as a business decision to prioritize UK customers over Irish ones.

I've been on to them via chat but it's a lost cause. I'll still use them for items I'm not really in a hurry for (2 weeks minimum) and shop elsewhere for urgent items. Shame as I've been using them for years now but this is as bad as it's ever been.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Car99 wrote: »
    Your saying that Amazon hold back dispatch because An Post can only deliver a certain amount per day.

Ok say theres 100,000 irish amazon orders per day and An post can only deliver 80,000. Amazon hold back 20,000.

So next day theres 100,000 orders amazon now have 40,000 on hold . After 10 days they have 200,000 on hold and this will keep growing by 20,000 every day .

If your theory holds up why arent expected dispatch times getting longer and longer instead of holding steady at 10 days?

Long forecasts deter orders. It's killing sales.

Amazon haven't become the size they are by refusing custom, if they could sell to you faster they would. There's clearly a choke in the chain, not some master plan to prioritise one nation. Seattle don't have some hard on for tea and crumpets.

Car99 wrote: »

Yeah as Mr E said. Also this analogy makes no sense as there are far too many caveats ie 100k per day every day.

Hence Amazon giving you an expected delivery date. Don't like this date, don't order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭rock22

Yeah as Mr E said. Also this analogy makes no sense as there are far too many caveats ie 100k per day every day.

Hence Amazon giving you an expected delivery date. Don't like this date, don't order.

RasTa, it is you that makes no sense.
    As already pointed out to you by Car99, if they are delaying items because of capacity then the number of items grows continually. Whether it is by 10000 a day or 100000 a day doesn't matter. The delays would then have to get longer and longer .
    They are not dispatching items o nthe same day to Irish customers as UK customers, simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i recently had a 10 day wait for an item that had been tracked to Ireland/ An Post. 10 days from it arriving in Ireland. it sounds unlikely but im not the only one!

Advertisement