Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

walshb wrote: »
    Am I off ignore, so?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Reasonable force and more depending on the situation. It’s simple..

Do they always get it right? Of course not. It can never be a perfect system..

Reasonable force? Are you for real?
    Have you been watching some of the scenes from the last few days. Two police cars driving over people, using gas and batons on peaceful protestors, plenty of examples. Journalist blinded in one eye a life changing injury. There have been a few examples of people losing an eye recently from rubber bullets.

There is no point taking up about the looters, they're criminals, not the people paid to protect and keep the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Protester in DC this morning advising the national guard how to form up.

I know they'd been up for most of the night but it is amazing how panicked they all looked against basically one guy that was clearly peaceful

https://twitter.com/CongBaseballFan/status/1268484778405158913?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Read a little Malcolm X and you'll find out.

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

joe40 wrote: »
    Reasonable force? Are you for real?
    Have you been watching some of the scenes from the last few days. Two police cars driving over people, using gas and batons on peaceful protestors, plenty of examples. Journalist blinded in one eye a life changing injury. There have been a few examples of people losing an recently from rubber bullets.

There is no point taking up about the looters, they're criminals, not the people paid to protect and keep the peace.

What has this to do with reasonable force?

I am well aware that at times cops can go overboard.

Like I said, it is not a perfect system. Never will be..

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah.

You’ve made my day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Reasonable force and more depending on the situation. It’s simple..

Do they always get it right? Of course not. It can never be a perfect system..

How about this last night? Cycling past curfew deserve 3 cops beating him?

https://twitter.com/joshfoxfilm/status/1268366550475603969?s=20

Talking back to a cop deserve this assault?

https://twitter.com/Fiorella_im/status/1267660433969737728?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Odhinn wrote: »
    Please explain.

He was suspicious about the fact that there always seemed to be Jewish people rather than Black people at the top of African American civil rights movements. By the way I had no idea a Jewish man was in charge of BLM

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

p45's for all the cops caught on tape. The man can't keep up

https://twitter.com/outroswt/status/1268102200305254401

He was suspicious about the fact that there always seemed to be Jewish people rather than Black people at the top of African American civil rights movements.

That would be his problem then, wouldn't it? Whats your take on it?

• Advertisement

What has this to do with reasonable force?

I am well aware that at times cops can go overboard.

Like I said, it is not a perfect system. Never will be..

Ah come, you strike me as a reasonable person, but there is no way you can describe the scenes we have witnessed as police going "overboard"
    They are causing life changing injuries and putting life's at risk. I would describe some of it as police out of control.

There must be a serious lack of training but the hard-line macho response is all some know.

The thing is there have been examples of good policing, which just highlights the bad stuff.

Ah come, you strike me as a reasonable person, but there is no way you can describe the scenes we have witnessed as police going "overboard"
    They are causing life changing injuries and putting life's at risk. I would describe some of it as police out of control.

There must be a serious lack of training but the hard-line macho response is all some know.

The thing is there have been examples of good policing, which just highlights the bad stuff.
    Overboard...

What is wrong with this description?

Issue is that “police brutality” will always be subjective..

There are people out there who shout police brutality for the most innocuous and minor things..

And, I am aware cops can also go more than overboard..

That would be his problem then, wouldn't it? Whats your take on it?

Why don't you ask the author of the tweet, seeing as he is black and I am not.
    Or would you rather a white person answered for a black person?

He just asked for your take on it..

Overboard...

There are people out there who shout police brutality for the most innocuous and minor things..

Which is why one of those provisions being talked about is about documenting ALL use of force. A tap a shove a stun gun or 22 bullets through the window. Leave it to oversight to decide.

I'd like your take on it, regardless of whatever skin colour you may or may not be.

He just asked for your take on it..

He wants to know my take? But not the take of the author? Strange.
    I merely posted a tweet and you want me to give the opinion of the author, a person I have never met?

I merely posted a tweet and you want me to give the opinion of the author, a person I have never met?

Why did you post it?

I'd like your take on it, regardless of whatever skin colour you may or may not be.

My take is as follows - A black man is questioning why a Jewish man is the leader of Black Lives Matter.

Overboard...

That is so wrong.

Police brutality is absolutely not be subjective.

It must be subject to robust and rigorous law.
    Force used must always be necessary, proportional and legal.
    The police have a vitally important role in society, they absolutely cannot be subjective in how they use force.

• Advertisement

Why did you post it?

Because its interesting.

Do you have knowledge that he did in fact not reply to the author, either by open tweet or DM? Seems like a pitiful deflection just to keep refusing to be civil about the question.

That is so wrong.
    Police brutality is absolutely not be subjective.
    It must be subject to robust and rigorous law.
    Force used must always be necessary, proportional and legal.
    The police have a vitally important role in society, they absolutely cannot be subjective in how they use force.

To people witnessing it it is subjective. Isn’t that the bloody problem?

There is no perfect system...

I agree what you are saying... but people, no matter what will argue it and disagree with it and challenge it at every turn..

Look at the cops here doing their job during water protests..

People shouting and roaring at them and accusing them of brutality...

This is my point..

My take is as follows - A black man is questioning why a Jewish man is the leader of Black Lives Matter.

And what made you decide to post that here?

Do you think its odd that a Jewish man is "the leader" of Black lives matter?
    Because its interesting.

How is it "interesting"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Every high street store except Gucci got ransacked in Manhattan. Crazy.

To people witnessing it it is subjective. Isn’t that the bloody problem?

There is no perfect system...

Or a perfect protest, and to people witnessing them they are subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

World is seeing the American police for what they are. So many of them will be sacked by what is caught on video, but so many others watch on, and join in. They'll all dodgy as fck.
    And again, they don't listen to reason, smashing up a medic tent? Refusing a girl her insulin ? Spitting on people they have cuffed? Attacking and going 4 on 1 when they don't realise '' yep there is a camera on you'' .

Do you have knowledge that he did in fact not reply to the author, either by open tweet or DM? Seems like a pitiful deflection just to keep refusing to be civil about the question.

How could I? I don't know his Twitter handle, what I find really interesting you don't really seem to want to know what the opinion of a Black man is, you don't want to know why this Black man posted what he did? You want to know the opinion of a white stranger who has no connection to the Black man. Are you dismissing this mans opinion..why?
    It seems his opinion is not important to you, and ironically this a thread about the way Black people are, oppressed, ignored, their feelings disregarded.

How could I? I don't know his Twitter handle, what I find really interesting you don't really seem to want to know what the opinion of a Black man is, you don't want to know why this Black man posted what he did? You want to know the opinion of a white stranger who has no connection to the Black man. Are you dismissing this mans opinion..why?
    It seems his opinion is not important to you, and ironically this a thread about the way Black people are, oppressed, ignored, their feelings disregarded.

I never said his opinion isn't interesting.

What is your opinion? Do you see anything objectionable about a jewish person leading a BLM group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

That Twitter link, has anyone opened into main timeline? Jews this and Jews that? It seems he has an issue with the Jews is my take on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement