Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to try and lose 60lbs in 28 days

Options
124678

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sorry for the negative post but there's no way the OP is going to come close to this.

    Not only because what he describes is madness, but also because from his posts he seems to have a bad attitude. People have been putting forward some good advice but he has been shutting everything down. He knows what's best, he has "a world of knowledge" of these things and, to be honest, i'm not sure what the point of the thread is. It could have been a blog post somewhere with the comments switched off.

    Losing 60lbs in 28 days is silly. Why are you losing it? Because you want to be fitter, healthier and lighter?

    If so, your goal should be to lose those 60lbs over a sustained period of time. And within that time, develop habits that will allow you to sustain your weight, your diet and your lifestyle. Everything is "Short term! short term! Short term!"

    Even if you DO lose the 60lbs, it doesn't matter. You haven't developed proper habits and you will likely put it all back on.

    I hope you change your habits and get healthier OP. Although this is not the way to do it!

    While 60lb in 28 days is definitely a stretch, even if the OP lost 20lb after two weeks, it's a strong start and a way to reset the habits for a couple of weeks to try get to a place where he can replace them with better habits and segueing into more of a balanced diet with a reasonable calorie deficit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Losing 60lbs in 28 days is silly. Why are you losing it? Because you want to be fitter, healthier and lighter?

    If so, your goal should be to lose those 60lbs over a sustained period of time. And within that time, develop habits that will allow you to sustain your weight, your diet and your lifestyle. Everything is "Short term! short term! Short term!"

    To be fair, he did say that the 60lbs wasn't the ultimate goal. It was to be a kickstart after which they would increase the calories but still maintain a deficit until such point as they reach the long-term goal of 180 lbs
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Even if you DO lose the 60lbs, it doesn't matter. You haven't developed proper habits and you will likely put it all back on.

    I hope you change your habits and get healthier OP. Although this is not the way to do it!

    This is the crux - developing proper habits - but surely the same applies no matter whether you're starting out trying to do it at 302 lbs or after a 4-week aggressive diet.

    I don't necessarily have an issue with them using an aggressive diet in the first place but I don't agree with the method (salty water with small refeeds as necessary) but that's not to say it can't work.

    Another issue may be how the OP handles not achieving the 60 lb goal in the timeframe. As Penn said, you could/should view a 20lb drop in the most basic context, i.e. it's 20 lbs less than they were a few weeks earlier. However, people being people can also view these things as a failure because the target wasn't achieved. No one can answer that now though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo


    Why not compromise

    Eat leafy green veg
    Eat 150g of protein from lean sources
    Take 8 grams omega 3
    Do some form of resistance exercises

    You will still be at a massive deficit
    You won't lose muscle mass
    You will get nutrients
    You will still lose plenty of weight.

    At 60 days you can weigh up options


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭blackbox


    Best of luck OP. Interesting to see an "engineering" approach to this.

    Hope you recover from the illness quickly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha


    Penn wrote: »
    Totally. A good few people asked me about cheat days when I was dieting, how often did I have cheat days, did I reward myself at certain milestones etc. Truth is, I didn't have cheat days. I stuck to the diet every day I could, and when events popped up (large family meals, birthdays, parties in general, nights out etc), I allowed myself to be more lax with the calorie limit for the day while still trying to make reasonably good choices. So those were my cheat days in a way, because those events do crop up and it can be hard to stick to calorie limits.

    But it's about making the right choices before those events, during those events, and getting back on the diet after those events.

    yeah that sounds like a very sensible plan. When I was dieting I had a cheat day every second Saturday where Id get a takeaway like pizza or chinese. But the rule I had was that on the morning of the cheat day Id have to go for the longest cycle of the entire fortnight and lose 600-700 calories through exercise.

    Doing that served two purposes- one was to 'earn' the cheat day in advance of eating calorie rich foods and the other was that by counting calories for both exercise and eating it gives you a realisation of how much exercise is equivalent to eating food. When you realise that half a large Dominoes pizza is the same as cycling intensively for 3-4 hours it soon changes the way you think about eating the wrong foods and it helps you reduce it down to moderation.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Unfortunately I'm going to have to put this on hold . I'm going into a pretty serious surgery tomorrow


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze


    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm going to have to put this on hold . I'm going into a pretty serious surgery tomorrow

    Fair play for getting in touch with a doc. All the best tomorrow


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7


    Minime2.5 wrote:
    Unfortunately I'm going to have to put this on hold . I'm going into a pretty serious surgery tomorrow


    All the best glad your getting looked after


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Just had my appendix out. Feel like hammered ****. By the way I'd just say I'd put it out their the electrolyte drink I'll be talking is practically what the liquid in an iv is


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    I'll be replying to each and every post once I'm feeling better


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Juwwi wrote: »
    Best of luck OP .

    With regard drinking the salt water during the day would you not consider just drinking 1 glass of salt water every morning and then just drinking normal water throughout the day , would probably be more pleasant .

    You mention 500g of veg when you get hungry , that amount of veg will knock you out of Keto .

    A plan of having 1 smaller meal a day of Keto friendly veg and meat would be easier to stick to ,not everyday you will be hungry so just don't eat those days .

    There are dry white wines that are Keto friendly ,and Keto pizza for the odd treat at a weekend .

    You would find it easier in the long run if you eased your very restricted plan a little ..

    Best of luck l hope you manage it ,

    You need the electrolytes through out the day as the don't stay in your system for long . An actual refeed is 400g of veg and 100g of fatty meat like salmon or Ribeye


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    mmmmmmm? so the first weigh in was yesterday at 8.57am...............I kinda thought the weigh-ins would be at more or less the same time each day and posted as such ..............no update?

    I'd seriously questions going on a diet of salty water. Don't even know how that could be good for you, especially if you have other medical conditions like digestive issues, IBS etc.


    ***edit, just saw poster never said they would be "daily" updates - apologies**

    Lol if you were sick in hospital it's exactly want they'd be giving you in your iv. The 2 most essential electrolytes for the body are sodium chloride and potassium chloride . To try this without those salts with plan water would indeed be dangerous. You could get refeeding syndrome


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    JJayoo wrote: »
    I like this plan.

    Lose as much muscle mass as possible in 60 days so that when you balloon back up to 300pounds you will be there with less muscle and a higher bodyfat%

    This simply isn't true . The risk of muscle loss when dieting is really of only of concern to those that have trained to an elite level and even if a few lbs of muscle are lost it comes back very very fast once retraining and proper eating are reintroduced. Muscle memory is a very real phenomenon


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Penn wrote: »
    OP I wasn't far off where you're starting from, I was 293lb (well, I know I was 296lb at one point but when I started my diet I was 293lb). I got down to 181lb in one year through a good balanced diet and moderate exercise. Over about 9 months I went back up to about 212lb due to bad habits creeping back in and personal stresses, but now I'm eating well and doing moderate exercise again which has gotten me back down to 190lb and I aim to go even lower than before.

    What you're proposing is extreme to say the least, and it's going to be incredibly tough, but just be sensible about it. Check in with your doctor when you need. There's nothing good in the diet being more harmful to your health than being overweight. But just know that extreme measures aren't the only way to achieve weightloss. Even if you drop the 60lb in 28 days, what comes after that?

    Whether it starts at the end of your 28 day fast or not, you still need to look at reconfiguring your current eating habits long-term. I commend you for pushing yourself as far as possible, and I hope it works out for you, but less extreme measures can also work.

    Good luck!

    If you go back and reread my post about how much I'm eating at 200lbs you will see I won't be anywhere as restrictive . The plan is a reverse taper diet . The father you are the less you eat . When I'm 185lbs I'll be eating around 2700 to 3000 calories a day with 200g of protein daily


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think thats the crux of it, people can go on these extreme diets and lose a shed load of weight but when its over the brain can trick you into taking a few days reward by eating all the bad hings you missed in excess and then you're on a slippery slope and the cycle begins all over again.

    I can see why people do them though when very overweight. It feels like a good headstart on the larger task at hand. If someone has to lose 50 or 60kgs the usual way of losing 0.5 to 1kg per week knocks their motivation after a few weeks as it seems a long and impossible task.

    It's won't be over. It will be phase 1. When that's over phase 2


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sorry for the negative post but there's no way the OP is going to come close to this.

    Not only because what he describes is madness, but also because from his posts he seems to have a bad attitude. People have been putting forward some good advice but he has been shutting everything down. He knows what's best, he has "a world of knowledge" of these things and, to be honest, i'm not sure what the point of the thread is. It could have been a blog post somewhere with the comments switched off.

    Losing 60lbs in 28 days is silly. Why are you losing it? Because you want to be fitter, healthier and lighter?

    If so, your goal should be to lose those 60lbs over a sustained period of time. And within that time, develop habits that will allow you to sustain your weight, your diet and your lifestyle. Everything is "Short term! short term! Short term!"

    Even if you DO lose the 60lbs, it doesn't matter. You haven't developed proper habits and you will likely put it all back on.

    I hope you change your habits and get healthier OP. Although this is not the way to do it!

    Get over yourself . Just because I firmly believe what I'm doing is right I'm going to go with my knowledge who are you to say I don't have this right How dare you say I have a bad attitude . Ive taken everyone's comment on board and been polite with my response but I'm under no obligation to do what I'm told by anyone . Im very much entitled to follow my own opinion.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters


    At least you'll be down the weight of the appendix


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979


    Does the body not hold on to fat in starvation mode or is that old school bro science?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE


    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Just because I firmly believe what I'm doing is right I'm going to go with my knowledge

    Minime2.5, throughout this thread, you have referenced your 'knowledge' a few times. To be honest, you sound like somebody who has done little more than read a bunch of articles on the internet and are trying to apply them to yourself. To go along with that, you are refusing to listen to anybody here who has actual, real-life and real-world experience of weight loss, dieting and eating disorders.

    You are free to listen to or ignore whomever you wish. But please approach this with your mind open to the fact that you could be wrong.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard


    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I have a world of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.
    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I firmly believe what I'm doing is right I'm going to go with my knowledge.

    With all due respect, OP, if you had as much knowledge on this subject as you seem to think, you likely wouldn't be 21.5 stone to begin with.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Does the body not hold on to fat in starvation mode or is that old school bro science?

    Utter and total bull****. So what's going to be left?
    FAT AND BONE ?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb


    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    The plan is a reverse taper diet. When I'm 185lbs I'll be eating around 2700 to 3000 calories a day with 200g of protein daily
    2700-3000 calories a day is a lot for someone of 13 stone btw. You'll be putting on a couple of pounds a week with that intake. 2500/day is a typical break-even amount for males, so certainly 2700-3000 isn't a "diet", as you suggest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead


    I actually had to check if I knew you, OP, as your current state of weight and attitude sounded familiar.

    The person I know has the same dismissive approach to her weight, and also has done numerous drastic things to change it. They never work or are never sustained, and she fails and regains any weight lost.

    You're complaining about people who reply, but unless you wanted a safe space echo chamber of support, then you shouldn't have started a topic here as numerous posters have conflicting opinions and knowledge, gained the hard way.

    You can either remain steadfast in your stubbornness, or you can (as others have suggested) open your mind to knowledge and experience. And as stated, if your knowledge and application of same was flawless, you'd not be in the state you're in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    cdeb wrote: »
    2700-3000 calories a day is a lot for someone of 13 stone btw. You'll be putting on a couple of pounds a week with that intake. 2500/day is a typical break-even amount for males, so certainly 2700-3000 isn't a "diet", as you suggest.

    "2500/day is a typical break even amount for males.Are you serious? ALL males? So your not taking into accounts height or exercise volume. That calorie level will be for me at 6ft tall 32 inch waist which i calculate will be 10%. Ill also be exercising with weights 5 days a week for at least 1 hour and doing 10k steps daily.lDo you see how where fitness is concerned everyone is an expert and agrue over the most minute details


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb


    Do you know what the word "typical" means?

    It means "not all"

    But ultimately, you are actually fairly typical - 6ft male (typical), 32" waist (irrelevant as far as I can see) and 10k steps daily (typical), so I don't see why 2500 calories/day wouldn't apply to you, give or take.

    Also, 3000 calories is also a lot. Why not reduce it to 2200/day? It would probably be healthier for you in and of itself.

    BTW, calorie intake isn't "the most minute" of details. It's fairly key stuff.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious


    Wondering why they risked an operation since you are so big for the appendix rather than treating it with antibiotics as they did in my case (and I wasn't as large as you).
    Did you have keyhole surgery?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    spurious wrote: »
    Wondering why they risked an operation since you are so big for the appendix rather than treating it with antibiotics as they did in my case (and I wasn't as large as you).
    Did you have keyhole surgery?

    Because it burst and yes keyhole


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979


    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Utter and total bull****. So what's going to be left?
    FAT AND BONE ?

    Easy cranky pants, I was only asking a question, seeing as your such an expert


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious


    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Because it burst and yes keyhole

    Yikes. Mine burst too, but I was lucky it happened slowly (spluttered rather than popped) and they just pumped me full of antibiotics.

    Will the surgery impact much on your experiment or will you go ahead?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5


    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Easy cranky pants, I was only asking a question, seeing as your such an expert

    I think given my current situation I can be given a little leeway for being cranky


Advertisement