Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hi folks good to be back, never made it to Lisdoonvarna but did make it to Fleadh Mor in Tramore in Waterford in 1993. In 1981 I was working in a stall at Ballisdare festival in Sligo. Did any of you make it to the North West counterparts of Lisdoonvarna festival, mainly Ballisdare and Strandhill in Sligo for a year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Just noticed my post count is shorter, I had 10.012 posts when boards had changed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It's a band where no one knows how many albums they have spawned into the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Possible death nail in EP? I understand 50K is not much in Festival Republics pocket, but more optics around it

If Gov are going to subsidise event organisers, Covid numbers rising and radio silence from FR, i wouldn't be surprised to see some update on EP soon

Endainoz were you ever at this one in County Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

No I don't think this news means much to them, festival republic already got more than half a million in supports from the government. What will probably be the death knell is that this delta variant along will slowly increasing ICU numbers. I think I've accepted it now, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think the EP could be the weatherbell for the whole COVID saga.

At what point does a population which will be (by my estimate) 80% or so fully vaccinated not be allowed to gather outdoors?

Without it becoming another COVID thread, any fully vaccinated adult who wants to go where they want should be allowed to. At some point it is about personal responsibility. I have taken my vaccine, I have stayed under lockdown for 18 months at that stage and am even open to another antigen test before entry. After that, I cannot do any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

What I'd do for that to be available for kips this Sept, year by year I'm in greater need of them. Did anyone ever watch a movie in there I wonder? Apart from my sister and her Argentine pal who left Kraftwerk in the EA to watch Dirty Dancing. And no, her credibility has never recovered. Nor will it.

Seen the Blues Brothers and Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke at that cinema tent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

And there goes Wild Roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Have purchased tickets for Vantastival scaled down Native Sounds event Sept 10 & 11. Anyone else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

I suppose we can only remain hopeful.

But with another wave here/on the way, the cautious approach might win as there will have to be a definitive answer for the Go/No Go date.

I presume they will need a 4-6 week heads up, so we have until the middle of August to keep wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

....aaaannnd because I said Go /No Go, this is happily living in my head for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RINO87

Sad face.....

I dont have tickets for EP, so that was my last hope. Really hope EP, or some version of it goes ahead for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Just one story but probably give an indication. I was vaxed Pfizer, 2nd vax 6 weeks ago. On Wed I was diagnosed positive with CV19, got it from 19 year old son after he and 10 mates were in Galway for weekend, 7 now positive, none vaxed. I followed HSE advice for fax people, carrry on as normal as close contact unless symptoms appear. Symptoms of bad cold nothing more, but Delta is breaking through. Vaccine still effective at minimizing impact and keeping people out of hospital, so still working.

Did some research and found this very informative and objective article on Delta and vaccine in Israel.

https://arieh.substack.com/p/inside-israels-delta-outbreak-part

But doesn't bode well for EP opening on basis of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Appreciate the post.

The question to me is - if the vaccine worked (in that your symptoms were no worse than a bad cold), then why not allow vaccinated people to attend an open air event?

Imagine Oxegen had kicked off this weekend, wasn't this the traditional Oxegen / T in the Park dates of yore. They definitely would have got the best weather this weekend.

Yeah I remember Oxegen 2005, the Saturday was crazy hot. I stayed in front of the main stage for most of the Saturday. Had a great spot so didn't want to move, of course I was too young and stupid to thinking of the factor 30!

When I got home on the Monday my work colleague commented that she'd never seen someone so close to looking like a lobster!

BUT it was a weekend of some unbelievable bands! Got to see Green Day, Kasabian, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, The Frames, Razorlight, The Killers, and James freakin' Brown. Some weekend, hard to believe it was 16 years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

I suppose you scale it up x 70k people and factor in 6% hospital (based on stats from quoted article) and you have a problem.

It is seriously contagious. Home not a sterile environment but son went straight to his room when he came home, even before test, own bathroom, and younger sister who only saw him in the distance when he went to garden late night for air on the 5 day, and she had it next day!

I would love EP to go ahead but not at expense of college, school not opening.

I know we are going to have to bite the bullet and open and I have thought we have been overly cautious and agree with your point and re stats getting it is best vaccine, but I think this will have to be gradual.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

And yet, in all likelihood, you'll be looking at 70k passing through Dublin Airport the same weekend ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Add to that the punters heading north for the "open indoor pub tourism" hotels in Belfast saying 80-90% of their customer's are from the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I reckon now that Picnic 21 ain't happening, they are just waiting around for the government officials and council officials to reject their 2021 licence so that they can claim the insurance. What I think will happen is they will give a 2022 date for the festival and possibly release a lineup to go with this. So possibly another year in waiting, I mean can you seriously see a festival coming up with a lineup now that takes at least 2 and a half months to set up if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's all optics now, folks. Where there's a will, there's a way. I think it would be absolutely doable using the vaccine codes and testing. Vast majority will be fully vaccinated by then. I also think the numbers will be back under control by then. However, is there an appetite for launching lineups etc for a 70000 festival in the next few weeks? Certainly not. Hope fades again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I don't think FR would gamble, I.e. apply for a licence and not have a line up ready in the background? they'd be up sh1t creek if planning was actually granted!

Unless during the negotiations for the government subsidies, it was made clear there was no hope of planning being approved this year. But why bother with the new dates etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Oxegen was usually around July 10th, so the weekend before, and it was pissing down, which is what was traditionally Oxegen weather!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I think at a push, things could be put together faster than 2.5 months.

As it stands it seems its still going ahead

personally Im not holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

There's a lot of fallout from some festival in the Netherlands where they had more than 1,000 positive cases in spite of requiring certs or negative tests; which is putting Lowlands and Down the Rabbit Hole in jeopardy. Pukkelpop is working hard to get to go ahead, and they may require a negative test each day if you're not vaccinated. I think they will have different color wristbands depending on your Covid status and whether you will be required to retest.

I have a ticket, so really hoping it will go ahead 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

My two cents would be that unless they can be guaranteed that it can go ahead with 6-8 weeks in advance it will be pulled. Government due to announce plan for August and September by end of month so timing of any EP announcement could be related to that. Guess things could look differently by time festival comes around but issue is having to make a definitive call in advance and don't think it's looking good unfortunately imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I agree unfortunately. Just applied for my refund for wild roots, hopefully that'll be a painless process.

Advertisement