Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's a demonstration mission so they are undertaking a number of in orbit tests and manoeuvres before reaching the ISS.

You can have a go at docking it with the ISS here :)

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

ISS is passing a few minutes before the crew dragon in the low southern sky about 2 or 3 fists up from the horizon.22.09-22.15

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't know.. am I the only one a little saddened by the fact that it's a private company that builds rockets for NASA now? Does America have to sacrifice everything at the altar of private sector worship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Didn't realise they would be getting out of the launch suits. they have just hung them in the wardrobe until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

TomTanks wrote: »
    I think I saw it, white dot moving across the moon, a couple of chinese were floating about too, location Dublin. There was no con trails just a little white dot.

I saw it clearly in Dublin at 8.45pm......white star passing a little bit below where the moon was (I thought I'd have no chance, as it was still sunny)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't know.. am I the only one a little saddened by the fact that it's a private company that builds rockets for NASA now? Does America have to sacrifice everything at the altar of private sector worship?

It’s a good thing for space exploration. Can’t beat the private sector for making things cheaper and faster. It will allow NASA to focus a larger portion of their budget on pure science rather than transporting humans and materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Saturn V was entirely built by private companies.

boeing2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The Saturn V was entirely built by private companies.

boeing2.jpg

Subcontractors

NASA owned the rockets/space shuttles

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I was following the launch on YouTube, then went outside to see if I could see anything, then came back in to that guy gushing praise upon Trump.

I've read a lot about the moon landings and a huge amount of effort and consideration back then that was given to ensuring it was presented as an achievement "for all mankind", and when they referred to America it was for all Americans in a non-partisan way. You'll find copious interviews where NASA staff and astronauts credit the 500'000 people working on the space programme, and politicians of all stripes.

Contrast that to now, where in the immediate aftermath of a launch, the main priority for the administration is to lick Trump's ass.

There's more than enough political forums elsewhere, leave this forum to the people who actually appreciate this achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was a big play from Trump to turn up. Still think he'll be reelected.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Subcontractors

NASA owned the rockets/space shuttles

So what. The private sector were critical to the success of it. NASA have been farting around with the Ares/Space Launch System for the best part of a decade and still at least a year and a half from an unmanned launch. Spacex have achieved substantially more including launching Humans today in the same time. Private sector is the future and all the better for it. And they can do it much much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Anything?

Too early

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Too early

What time should we see it please and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Was a big play from Trump to turn up. Still think he'll be reelected.

No, he won't. Republicans have in fact written him off, they are now concentrating on saving the Senate.

How do I know? In-law of mine is a leading party official and former State Senator in Florida.

Space exploration is an irrelevance. Imagine how the swing voters feel when he flys back to the Cape as the nation burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

JL555 wrote: »
    There's more than enough political forums elsewhere, leave this forum to the people who actually appreciate this achievement.
    Apologies for not getting your approval before posting on the thread; I didn't realise that you were in charge. Nor did I know that I apparently don't appreciate today's achievement.

In any case you obviously missed the point of my post. I was arguing that far more significant achievements than this flight were done without being associated with any particular politician, yet this one is being unnecessarily attached to one. My whole argument was against including a political angle in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

channaigh wrote: »

10.14-10.16

channaigh wrote: »

AFAIK, between 10:14-10:16pm - look for the moon and it should be below that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Around 10.15. Very low to the south and much dimmer than the ISS. It's very small compared to the ISS.

Do we look just below the moon regardless of where you are in Ireland? I’m up near Drogheda on the east

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Do we look just below the moon regardless of where you are in Ireland? I’m up near Drogheda on the east

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Good man Tory changed screen from politics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All NASA astronauts from 2011 until today have gone up on government flights :P

"When reporters asked Shepard what he thought about as he sat atop the Redstone rocket, waiting for liftoff, he had replied, 'The fact that every part of this ship was built by the lowest bidder.'

John Glenn said “I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.”

Boeing are getting paid a lot more and a lot more per seat than SpaceX.
    Boeing claim that SpaceX already had a capsule. But Boeing bought North American Aviation via Rockwell. So they already had Apollo which flies further and has much higher re-entry speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Which direction will it be travelling? Sorry if asked already

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Will it be going left to right in sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ISS spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

From west to east.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭justwhatithink

I see it, dublin

• Advertisement