Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Down in Cork, couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where is it ? Bit of an anti climax !

What were you expecting? Doug and Bob to wave as they flew over your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Where is it ? Bit of an anti climax !

You were never going to see it, it's too bright. There's a chance you'll see it on the second pass at 10.15, close to the moon, the sun should be reflecting off it

Acosta wrote: »
    Any live tracker for this like there is for the ISS?

https://flightclub.io/live

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

You were never going to see it, it's too bright. There's a chance you'll see it on the second pass at 10.15, close to the moon, the sun should be reflecting off it

Its going to be low in the southwestern sky between 10.14 -10.16

• Advertisement

Someone sent me a video of the plane that happened to cross Ireland at exactly 8:42 and I nearly cried!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 No longer eat meat

upupup wrote: »
    Its going to be low in the southwestern sky between 10.14 -10.16

Is that near the moon ?

exact location
    30 May - 22:14:47 10° WSW 22:16:00 14° SSW 22:17:16 10° S daylight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

exact location
    30 May - 22:14:47 10° WSW 22:16:00 14° SSW 22:17:16 10° S daylight

Is there an app that you can put the coordinates into which may show you exactly where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This crossed south from my direction Seems more like a plane

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Is that for certain? There's a sizeable trail running east/west in the sky above the moon visible in Dublin right now after the fact
    Flight just crossed Ireland exact same time.

Is that near the moon ?

put out your arm and about a fist width above the horizon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's heading towards the french/Spanish border area (few miles above, obvs), still wouldn't this be far too low to see at 22:15?
    If it's 10° you'll sure hardly need to crank the neck back at all.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This crossed south from my direction Seems more like a plane

100% a plane. Some amount of people on twitter putting up videos of this plane and it's contrail thinking they've got a picture of the Dragon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

No sign of it in Kerry either. A few clouds and as some say a bit too bright out.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I think some people are getting excited about the wrong bits here. all you will see over Ireland is a bright dot like a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 No longer eat meat

put out your arm and about a fist width above the horizon

Really low then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

What time are we expecting to see it over Ireland. Assuming it will be something similar to the ISS, a small dot moving quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Congrats SpaceX

Nabber wrote: »
    What time are we expecting to see it over Ireland. Assuming it will be something similar to the ISS, a small dot moving quickly

Around 10.15. Very low to the south and much dimmer than the ISS. It's very small compared to the ISS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Around 10.15. Very low to the south and much dimmer than the ISS. It's very small compared to the ISS.

Thanks for the reply. Kids maybe some what disappointed 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That NASA guys lips must taste of Trumps a**hole
    I was following the launch on YouTube, then went outside to see if I could see anything, then came back in to that guy gushing praise upon Trump.

I've read a lot about the moon landings and a huge amount of effort and consideration back then that was given to ensuring it was presented as an achievement "for all mankind", and when they referred to America it was for all Americans in a non-partisan way. You'll find copious interviews where NASA staff and astronauts credit the 500'000 people working on the space programme, and politicians of all stripes.

Contrast that to now, where in the immediate aftermath of a launch, the main priority for the administration is to lick Trump's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TomTanks

I think I saw it, white dot moving across the moon, a couple of chinese lanterns were floating about too, location Dublin. There was no con trails just a little white dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Jeff2

That was great.

After watching Tory Carissimo commentary on it I'd watch him talk us through the cycles of a washing machine.

Still watch it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Jeff2 wrote: »
    That was great.

After watching Tory Carissimo commentary on it I'd watch him talk us through the cycles of a washing machine.

Still watch it. :)

I read that first as Tony Cascarino and got very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I read that first as Tony Cascarino and got very confused.

Sure we'll call him our NASA guy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭PCros

So just to clarify, will this pass near the moon like some people say or is it going to be really low.

I’m asking because the moon is quite high up in the sky...

I was following the launch on YouTube, then went outside to see if I could see anything, then came back in to that guy gushing praise upon Trump.

I've read a lot about the moon landings and a huge amount of effort and consideration back then that was given to ensuring it was presented as an achievement "for all mankind", and when they referred to America it was for all Americans in a non-partisan way. You'll find copious interviews where NASA staff and astronauts credit the 500'000 people working on the space programme, and politicians of all stripes.

Contrast that to now, where in the immediate aftermath of a launch, the main priority for the administration is to lick Trump's ass.

Part of it is sucking up to Trump. Bridenstine has to ensure that he keeps the funding flowing to NASA and that is ultimately controlled by the White House. We know how thin skinned the Toddler-in-Chief is. If the head of NASA doesn't give due praise and recognition it could well impact on future funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Why is it taking 19 hours after launch to dock with the ISS, whereas launches from Russia dock 3 to 4 hours after launch?

• Advertisement

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Why is it taking 19 hours after launch to dock with the ISS, whereas launches from Russia dock 3 to 4 hours after launch?

It's a demonstration mission so they are undertaking a number of in orbit tests and manoeuvres before reaching the ISS.

Advertisement