Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

higster wrote: »
    Time to get all the tasks on the should do list done (power hose paths, spruce up the bbq (might even use it today), cut the lawn/hedge, clean out shed, was the windows etc etc). Don’t want to be caught out having to stay and do that when we do get back on course (I’m still hoping Apr 12 with absolutely nothing to back that up bar hope).

Killen golf club put up that they're reopening April 5th. Now I know that is when current restrictions end so its likely presumptive, but I hope that confidence is coming from Golf Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mushy wrote: »
    Killen golf club put up that they're reopening April 5th. Now I know that is when current restrictions end so its likely presumptive, but I hope that confidence is coming from Golf Ireland also.

Was talking to a friend in US - he is in industry - he basically could not understand golf closed at all.

Sure watch tonight - fans on course and everything in US.

It will be strange here in a few weeks - when our neighbors are opening up everything,

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Break80

I have my heart set on 5th April.
    I just hope they won't do anything stupid like the 5k rule like last year.
    The extra few weeks waiting last year was a killer.
    I honestly don't think I would be able to abide by it this year if they restrict us to 5k again.

Break80 wrote: »
    I have my heart set on 5th April.
    I just hope they won't do anything stupid like the 5k rule like last year.
    The extra few weeks waiting last year was a killer.
    I honestly don't think I would be able to abide by it this year if they restrict us to 5k again.

I think the rules will be as strict if not more and slower to reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Break80

No.
    Numbers will be way down plus you have the vaccine.
    If we get positive data from the schools re-opening we will be on the pigs back.

• Advertisement

Thatll be a hard pill to take as the impact of the vaccines will be there for all to see. Hospitalisations and ICU numbers down, with a lower incidence rate amongst elderly and vulnerable should bring about speedier opening (by May anyway). Very very different situation to last December.

Oh wait, I just remembered who's Taoiseach

Thatll be a hard pill to take as the impact of the vaccines will be there for all to see. Hospitalisations and ICU numbers down, with a lower incidence rate amongst elderly and vulnerable should bring about speedier opening (by May anyway). Very very different situation to last December.

Oh wait, I just remembered who's Taoiseach

This is all logical.

But a bizarre conservatism has crept into everything.

Politics and Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    No bother sorry about that bud
    Jumping in there with the studz boss:

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

I’m only thinking “they” won’t open much on a bank holiday hence the 12th. Again absolutely nothing to back up this, pure speculation...but I have booked holidays for both the week of the 5th and 12th just in case (lucky enough to be able to cancel one or other or both on short notice if want).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Our committee was told that by our operator that they are VERY confident of reopening on April 5th

They hinted strongly that there confidence was from conversations with government

• Advertisement

higster wrote: »
    I’m only thinking “they” won’t open much on a bank holiday hence the 12th. Again absolutely nothing to back up this, pure speculation...but I have booked holidays for both the week of the 5th and 12th just in case (lucky enough to be able to cancel one or other or both on short notice if want).

I'd take the 12th. Have actually said that date on here before so if it doesn't happen immediately, 1 extra week won't hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Think the 5th is a certainty with earlier being possible if only our government hadn't entrenched themselves

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Our committee was told that by our operator that they are VERY confident of reopening on April 5th

They hinted strongly that there confidence was from conversations with government

tenor.gif

And where did they put this message. I cant see it on twitter FB or their website

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

My guess would be april after the bank holiday at Easter.

Said it in January.....now ye'll listen to me. 😜

And where did they put this message. I cant see it on twitter FB or their website

On Instagram. Was more just a "cant wait to get back" rather than an official communication

On Instagram. Was more just a "cant wait to get back" rather than an official communication

Our committee were very much under the impression that a nod and a wink have been given to Carr

I wouldn't think anyone knows at this stage as it is still too far away for any decisions to be taken.

Still it is a good marketing ploy from the Club to keep the members engaged and get them to pay up their annual subscription is necessary.

Given that we were told all decisions would be based on 4 weeks metrics then there is at least another 2 weeks of data to feed into that before decisions are taken about anything.

I think this time it will need government to show some balls to go against NPHET recommendations which will inevitably want to keep us all locked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Exactly wrote: »
    I wouldn't think anyone knows at this stage as it is still too far away for any decisions to be taken.

Still it is a good marketing ploy from the Club to keep the members engaged and get them to pay up their annual subscription is necessary.

Given that we were told all decisions would be based on 4 weeks metrics then there is at least another 2 weeks of data to feed into that before decisions are taken about anything.

I think this time it will need government to show some balls to go against NPHET recommendations which will inevitably want to keep us all locked away.

Lets hope Sports Ireland keep their noses out of it also

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Unfortunately Sports ireland will be involved in advising the sports bodies on how to re open safely and then failte Ireland will get involved when hotels are re opened and they will have a different interpretation on golf to golf Ireland just like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Have they not tried that before?

Have they not tried that before?

Yes but I don't expect them to do it to the same extent this time. I think everyone agrees that pubs/restaurants/indoor dining aren't on the radar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Said it in January.....now ye'll listen to me. ��

No, we won't listen to you now or back then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

April 19th. is still my optimistic guess. Have already told my manager to prepare for me to be taking at least three days off that week if it does come to pass.

Yes but I don't expect them to do it to the same extent this time. I think everyone agrees that pubs/restaurants/indoor dining aren't on the radar at the moment.

And golf is? Do you seriously think NPHET is saying lock down those pesky golfers?

And golf is? Do you seriously think NPHET is saying lock down those pesky golfers?

They don't need to when their recommendations recently have been to lock down the whole country. Will be interesting to see their commentary prior to the next announcement. I think everyone is in agreement that we need to move more towards a model of living with covid, however that is achieved and however slowly the reopening is. The reality is a lot of people already have made that decision themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point of the lockdown. It’s to restrict movements of people, not to stop you playing golf or any other sport.

I know most say you would only drive to the course and straight home again but some won’t, they’ll stop for fuel, a drink, a snack to keep energy up playing golf. Then you might treat yourself and stop in the takeaway on the way home - how many different t people have you come in contact with now??

I’m as pee’d off with this as much as everyone else but I’ve accepted I won’t be playing golf for a while and am using my free time to distract myself with something else here at home. It’ll come back when it does and I’ll be ready to play.....hopefully!!

They don't need to when their recommendations recently have been to lock down the whole country. Will be interesting to see their commentary prior to the next announcement. I think everyone is in agreement that we need to move more towards a model of living with covid, however that is achieved and however slowly the reopening is. The reality is a lot of people already have made that decision themselves.

This reminds me of "Get Brexit Done" & "MAGA".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think the point most are missing or unwilling to consider is when does restricting the movement of citizens become illegitimate?

For some it's never legitimate, but most of us are reasonable and I do believe we decided together as a people to do what we could to protect the elderly and vulnerable, which we have done.

We have been let down by the health infrastructure and public health management; that they could not reward our sacrifices with a lower death toll. The vast majority of deaths are institutional; nursing homes, healthcare facilities and hospitals.

They are not the fault of young people meeting outside to have a drink and blow off steam, the sacrifices the young people in this country have made are completely underappreciated and disregarded by many, mostly by those they have been protecting!

If we weren't currently in lockdown, no one would be advocating entering one, most people will defend the status quo no matter how illogical.

The logic of staying in level 5 so we don't have to be in level 5 is mind-bendingly illogical.

Please God the end is now in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think a lot of you guys are missing the point of the lockdown. It’s to restrict movements of people, not to stop you playing golf or any other sport.

I know most say you would only drive to the course and straight home again but some won’t, they’ll stop for fuel, a drink, a snack to keep energy up playing golf. Then you might treat yourself and stop in the takeaway on the way home - how many different t people have you come in contact with now??

I’m as pee’d off with this as much as everyone else but I’ve accepted I won’t be playing golf for a while and am using my free time to distract myself with something else here at home. It’ll come back when it does and I’ll be ready to play.....hopefully!!

Can't speak for everyone else but i understand the rationale for what they did- I just disagree with it.

Shutting down entire industries that have proven themselves to be safe (the burden of proof should lie with the government, not the industries but anyway..) isn't actually achieving anything but destroying peoples ability to pay mortgages, bills and in some cases closing their businesses for good.

We are supposed to be "Living With Covid". Lets do that instead of this.

Advertisement