Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Whilst we have no definite return date it's nice to see that golf Ireland has published the calendar for the year ahead.

Interesting they hope to commence the inter club in mid may and the foursomes format returns.

With the new handicap index and the lcokdowns there could be a few rusty golfers trying to play inter club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

RGS wrote: »
    Whilst we have no definite return date it's nice to see that golf Ireland has published the calendar for the year ahead.

Interesting they hope to commence the inter club in mid may and the foursomes format returns.

With the new handicap index and the lcokdowns there could be a few rusty golfers trying to play inter club.

Would love them to explain where all the tee times will come from! Clubs will find it hard to tell members to get off the course for 8 players and miss out on very badly need green fee income

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Would love them to explain where all the tee times will come from! Clubs will find it hard to tell members to get off the course for 8 players and miss out on very badly need green fee income

Probably no green fees for a number of months I’d imagine. How long was it before green fees were reintroduced the last time around?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/covid-19-irish-golf-courses-endure-longest-closures-in-the-world-1.450556

Article in the Irish Times comparing course closures around the world.

As expected we top the class just like we do for the lockdown of businesses and the country.

Scotland only closed their courses 66 days, we are standing at 189.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Correct link here i think.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/covid-19-irish-golf-courses-endure-longest-closures-in-the-world-1.4505566

Read it this morning, and its pretty depressing thinking how long we've been off the course. I understand why (even if don't agree with the length of time), but still.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Bit of common sense from the Scots, crazy we've been closed longer than anywhere else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Bit of common sense from the Scots, crazy we've been closed longer than anywhere else in the world.

Just for a bit of balance

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-had-world-s-highest-covid-19-infection-rate-last-week-1.4455609

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/covid-19-irish-golf-courses-endure-longest-closures-in-the-world-1.450556

As expected we top the class just like we do for the lockdown of businesses and the country.

..and look at the COVID infection rates in those countries mentioned in the article, Ireland is at 4,532/100,000.
    USA at 8,864
    Portugal at 7,900
    UK at 6,328

Source:https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-maps-and-cases/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

That was one week though. There is no denying things have been bad and restrictions warranted at different times.

The thing you see in this country though is an all or nothing approach to it, compared to other countries where things like sports are dealt with on an individual basis rather than all being lumped in together.

We just don't seem to have the want or the resources to manage things like this. For example the County by County approach to different levels or lockdowns didn't last very long did it? Some counties are now having days and periods with no cases but they are subjected to the same restrictions as the rest of the country. It's a very outdated way of doing things.

Kiith wrote: »
    Correct link here i think.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/covid-19-irish-golf-courses-endure-longest-closures-in-the-world-1.4505566

Read it this morning, and its pretty depressing thinking how long we've been off the course. I understand why (even if don't agree with the length of time), but still.

My sentiments too but Scotland never had travel restrictions (or some other other restrictions) either.

The 5km rule, whether you understand it or not, effectively makes golf impossible apart from a select few. It would not be sustainable opening the courses for members within the 5km area.

And no, clubs should not be opening the doors to non members from other clubs inside the 5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Apart from vaccine roll out Id tend not to use the Uk as the bar when dealing with COVID.

When golf re opens IMO if should be members only for the month of April. From may I would allow green fees and society golf.

As exactly stated we have an "an all or nothing approach".

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Thanks for the link. Good to see this is mainstream press. Hopefully FFG read it and consider it for Apr 5th!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly wrote: »
    That was one week though. There is no denying things have been bad and restrictions warranted at different times.

The thing you see in this country though is an all or nothing approach to it, compared to other countries where things like sports are dealt with on an individual basis rather than all being lumped in together.

We just don't seem to have the want or the resources to manage things like this. For example the County by County approach to different levels or lockdowns didn't last very long did it? Some counties are now having days and periods with no cases but they are subjected to the same restrictions as the rest of the country. It's a very outdated way of doing things.

I honestly think Ireland is too small for a county by county approach. Sure you can pretty much be anywhere in 3 hours.
    You'd have too many towns where the nearest course might be a couple of KM away but over the county border, or even houses where the nearest village or shop (never mind golf course) is in a different county. They might give it a go, but I just don't think its practical. That's not to say that the 5km is !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

5km travel limit lifted on April 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Do you think that maybe the high infection rates when we open things up are directly linked to keeping humans caged up for months on end?

Other countries have opted for a more nuanced approach, our weak leadership are too inept to even consider thinking outside the box!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

ForeRight wrote: »
    5km travel limit lifted on April 5th
    This breaking news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Keano wrote: »
    This breaking news?

Just Leo spitballing as usual I think

Monster249 wrote: »
    Do you think that maybe the high infection rates when we open things up are directly linked to keeping humans caged up for months on end?

Other countries have opted for a more nuanced approach, our weak leadership are too inept to even consider thinking outside the box!

As I say offering a bit of balance why the restrictions went the way they did but while we are at it - yes I agree that the leadership was weak.

We were not caged up for months on end before this lockdown - this lockdown it is a direct result of allowing things to get out of hand over the festive period.

The weakness in the leadership was giving the people what they wanted for the Christmas period rather than enforcing more nuanced approach (as you put it).

Russman wrote: »
    I honestly think Ireland is too small for a county by county approach. Sure you can pretty much be anywhere in 3 hours.
    You'd have too many towns where the nearest course might be a couple of KM away but over the county border, or even houses where the nearest village or shop (never mind golf course) is in a different county. They might give it a go, but I just don't think its practical. That's not to say that the 5km is !

To be honest I was typing out a response and this is exactly it.

Also there is plenty of 20/30 yr olds travelling up/down the country from Dublin every weekend to/from work - you only need to see the traffic on the arterial routes around Sunday 6-8pm to know this. Something I never understood (some of it can be attributed to GAA) but is fairly unique to Ireland. It is something that needed to be stopped to prevent community transmissions and sure we all know the holiday homes mess too :D

• Advertisement

Golf Lockdown discussion, there is a dedicated COVID forum if you want to discuss just COVID folks. Cheers

Some news here today from Leo
    The Tánaiste said it remains the case that construction work, the 5km rule, and outdoor activities would be considered as part of the easing of restrictions next month.

Reading "outdoor activities" as our hope come April 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

slave1 wrote: »
    The Tánaiste said it remains the case that construction work, the 5km rule, and outdoor activities would be considered as part of the easing of restrictions next month.

Wouldn't believe a word from that man

Yeah its hard to imagine golf not being part of that. If we assume team/contact sports are a definite non-runner, I can't really thing of much else outdoors that we can't do now (albeit within our 5km, like walks, cycling, hiking etc).

Unless of course he means families meeting up in gardens !

Yeah its hard to imagine golf not being part of that. If we assume team/contact sports are a definite non-runner, I can't really thing of much else outdoors that we can't do now (albeit within our 5km, like walks, cycling, hiking etc).

Unless of course he means families meeting up in gardens !

Communions and confirmations?

Communions and confirmations?

Yeah, maybe, but are they really "outdoor activities" ?

Even though I'm hopeful of 5th April for golf, in my head since January I've kinda worked off: a) best case but unlikely 5th April, b) most likely 1st May & c) worst case 1st June. TBH I'd happily take A or B at this stage in the game.

Yeah, maybe, but are they really "outdoor activities" ?

Even though I'm hopeful of 5th April for golf, in my head since January I've kinda worked off: a) best case but unlikely 5th April, b) most likely 1st May & c) worst case 1st June. TBH I'd happily take A or B at this stage in the game.

No but was plenty of those parties last year :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Anyone but Leo I'd be hopeful but that lad is the biggest bluffer in the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As soon as golf opens I have hope that the daft 5k restrictions will also be lifted however the chances of the equally ridiculous inter county travel restrictions being lifted are probably no more than 50:50.

But I won’t be giving a toss one way or another. After being a pretty decent citizen abiding all the rules I don’t think make sense up till now, at this stage I’ve had enough and will be making my own mind up on what is and is not safe to be doing.

I will be playing golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Seve OB wrote: »
    As soon as golf opens I have hope that the daft 5k restrictions will also be lifted however the chances of the equally ridiculous inter county travel restrictions being lifted are probably no more than 50:50.

But I won’t be giving a toss one way or another. After being a pretty decent citizen abiding all the rules I don’t think make sense up till now, at this stage I’ve had enough and will be making my own mind up on what is and is not safe to be doing.

I will be playing golf.

And if you agree with this or not .

It sums up why the keeping things shut is the government policy.

Advertisement