Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

GreeBo wrote: »

This is a world event,

Yes it is and most other countries are allowing activities such as Golf and tennis etc Sure even elite sports are allowed in this world event.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

benny79 wrote: »
    Yes it is and most other countries are allowing activities such as Golf and tennis etc Sure even elite sports are allowed in this world event.

And not very long ago we were global leaders in COVID infection rates, so I dont think you can compare what we are doing with what other countries are doing.
    We dont have curfews for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

And not very long ago we were global leaders in COVID infection rates, so I dont think you can compare what we are doing with what other countries are doing.
    We dont have curfews for example.

Do you know how many people got COVID from playing golf in Ireland?

Do you know how many people got COVID from playing golf in Ireland?

Do you know how many people got COVID from gyms in Ireland?
    How about while playing cricket, maybe tennis? Rugby? Darts? What about a funeral? Wedding?

How much effort and cost do you expect the government to put into analysing every aspect of the countries social life to come up with the 5 variations required for each lockdown level for every scenario?

Do you know how many people got COVID from gyms in Ireland?
    How about while playing cricket, maybe tennis? Rugby? Darts? What about a funeral? Wedding?

How much effort and cost do you expect the government to put into analysing every aspect of the countries social life to come up with the 5 variations required for each lockdown level for every scenario?

I just asked you a question.
    Do you know how many people got COVID from playing golf?

• Advertisement

Yes I do.

Ok, your turn to answer my question :rolleyes:

I don’t.

So how many got COVID from playing golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

This thread is worse than the actual lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Break80

Hey man.

sure all sport is exercise, but all exercise isnt and doesnt have to be sport.

The government arent trying to allow everyone to play sports, they are allowing everyone to exercise by keeping public spaces open to those within 5km.

These are two totally different things!

There are a million things that could arguably be still done safely, but thats not what happens during a lockdown, would you like hundreds of thousands being spent on quangos to give guidance for every single passtime during each lockdown level? I sure as hell wouldnt.

This is a world event, being allowed to exercise during a lockdown is a "privilege", being allowed to do whatever exercise you want isnt a right.

Hey Man.

Is there any exercise that isn't sport?
    Even a casual walk could have an element of competition as you will try cover the same distance quicker the next time.

No.
    I wouldn't like hundreds and thousands
    spent on guidance. It is obvious to most.

Your last paragraph contain 3 words which has me worried for you to be frank.
    "allowed" "privilege" "right"

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Greenbo as others have stated you put in place rules that are logically and easily implemented. What was proposed was idiotic.

We understand we are in a pandemic and things are not normal but allowing NPHET to dictate all aspects of life without them taking advice from the experts in other fields is an issue.

I firmly believe NPHET never wanted pubs open last year but their lack of understanding of licencing laws, mainly because there are no legal advisors on NPHET, caught them out.

• Advertisement

RGS wrote: »
    Greenbo as others have stated you put in place rules that are logically and easily implemented. What was proposed was idiotic.
    Right, which is what the 5 lockdown level rules are.
    We then tried to apply golf under those rules and it didnt work out too well, but as I said earlier, if the option is no golf, I'd still rather the 2 household rules.

Who are you blaming for the idiotic rules?
    Gov, Nphet, Sport Ireland, Golf Ireland, etc?
    Each of them is operating at a different level and operates under the rules they are given from above.

Right, which is what the 5 lockdown level rules are.
    We then tried to apply golf under those rules and it didnt work out too well, but as I said earlier, if the option is no golf, I'd still rather the 2 household rules.

Who are you blaming for the idiotic rules?
    Gov, Nphet, Sport Ireland, Golf Ireland, etc?
    Each of them is operating at a different level and operates under the rules they are given from above.

How many got COVID from playing golf?
    I guessing it was high since you said it didn’t work out too well the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I think the school situation is going to have a big bearing on everything. If it looks like that’s increasing numbers could see lockdown extended.
    Heard there’s already 14 cases reported from special schools. And I know a local secondary school in Cork has an outbreak and they’re only back since Monday.

I’m looking to join a new club , the way it’s going it could be 2022 by time I get going

Break80 wrote: »
    Hey Man.

Is there any exercise that isn't sport?
    Even a casual walk could have an element of competition as you will try cover the same distance quicker the next time.
    Yep, but as I said, it doesn't *have* to be. The government isn't trying to give everyone "competitive sport", they are allowing everyone to exercise.
    No.
    I wouldn't like hundreds and thousands
    spent on guidance. It is obvious to most.
    Whats obvious to you is not obvious to everyone else. I'm sure there are a million threads on other forums where every single niche activity is arguing how they could be safely opened.
    Your last paragraph contain 3 words which has me worried for you to be frank.
    "allowed" "privilege" "right"

Thanks for the concern, but I am not Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Its a bit like being allowed to drink water during a drought and you arguing that you prefer to drink Guinness so why cant you have Guinness instead!

But I prefer Guinness :confused: Guinness is also boiled during production and is provably safer than the alternative of tap water during a drought which is likely to contain impurities or pollutants.

I think that you think that we don't think that Covid is serious. Look, we all agree that Covid is serious, we just don't think that resorting to useless activities like self-flagellation or by simply declaring that everyone needs be happy with tap water actually helps a jot. Where there's no risk to me or others - mine's a stout :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I will be gutted if we can’t get back till least May. Really am hoping it’s next month.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    But I prefer Guinness :confused: Guinness is also boiled during production and is provably safer than the alternative of tap water during a drought which is likely to contain impurities or pollutants.

I think that you think that we don't think that Covid is serious. Look, we all agree that Covid is serious, we just don't think that resorting to useless activities like self-flagellation or by simply declaring that everyone needs be happy with tap water actually helps a jot. Where there's no risk to me or others - mine's a stout :cool:

You can prefer Guinness all you want, but if its not available then you are getting water.

It almost seems like some people would take it better if all public spaces were closed...which is an attitude I dont understand to be fair, I will take what I can get, be that the park, 2 household tee times or casual golf only over sitting at home in total lockdown!

You can prefer Guinness all you want, but if its not available then you are getting water.

It almost seems like some people would take it better if all public spaces were closed...which is an attitude I dont understand to be fair, I will take what I can get, be that the park, 2 household tee times or casual golf only over sitting at home in total lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Just on COVID. Sweden's excess mortality has increased by just 7% this year

So before COVID, a 50 year male had 0.63% chance of dying over next year. That increased to just 0.675% due to COVID ignoring age and co-morbidities. The rise in actual mortality is actually less than this as it effected older people more

I'll do a deal with you, you tell me the relevance of the question and I'll give the answer, as its totally irrelevant imo.
    You are clearly and painfully going to rehash the old stuff about "no one gets covid playing golf and so golf should be open" and that has been dealt with numerous times.

The country is open for essential things only, golf is not essential ergo golf is not open, its not complicated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Just on COVID. Sweden's excess mortality has increased by just 7% this year

So before COVID, a 50 year male had 0.63% chance of dying over next year. That increased to just 0.675% due to COVID ignoring age and co-morbidities. The rise in actual mortality is actually less than this as it effected older people more

or in real numbers, 13,000 extra people.

At the height of the latest wave we had a coach load of people dying in Ireland every day.

You can argue for and against lockdowns in general on another thread I reckon, there are lots of them, including specific Swedish ones, but if a lockdown is your strategy then you stay locked down, opening up for random things is what got and kept us in this current mess, so for now golf stays closed.

I'll do a deal with you, you tell me the relevance of the question and I'll give the answer, as its totally irrelevant imo.
    You are clearly and painfully going to rehash the old stuff about "no one gets covid playing golf and so golf should be open" and that has been dealt with numerous times.

The country is open for essential things only, golf is not essential ergo golf is not open, its not complicated!

It was a simple question to someone who gave me a smartass answer and said you knew the number.
    So I take it that you were wrong and you don’t know the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

benji79 wrote: »
    I think the school situation is going to have a big bearing on everything. If it looks like that’s increasing numbers could see lockdown extended.
    Heard there’s already 14 cases reported from special schools. And I know a local secondary school in Cork has an outbreak and they’re only back since Monday.

I’m looking to join a new club , the way it’s going it could be 2022 by time I get going

Thats not an outbreak after 4 days.

Those students would have picked up the virus last week.
    Next week we will know if the schools are causing additional cases as only then will we know if their close contacts are testing positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I will take what I can get, be that the park, 2 household tee times or casual golf only

Me too, for a while, but when the dust settles there comes a time to ask questions, like is the correct group getting hurting here for no gain (or negative gain). You think these are questions that shouldn't be asked?

It was a simple question to someone who gave me a smartass answer and said you knew the number.
    So I take it that you were wrong and you don’t know the number.

It was a smartass answer to a smartass question.
    The reason behind your question is as transparent as glass.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Me too, for a while, but when the dust settles there comes a time to ask questions, like is the correct group getting hurting here for no gain (or negative gain). You think these are questions that shouldn't be asked?

I think the "group" is the people or Ireland, I don't see golfers has a different group during a pandemic tbh (and the numbers from the ESRI that I shared yesterday would backup the opinion that most people accept it for what it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Greebo do you just post on boards these days because the golf course is closed?
    you are becoming tiresome & boring me now.

It was a smartass answer to a smartass question.
    The reason behind your question is as transparent as glass.

It was a serious question.
    I thought you might have known since you were arguing against courses being open.
    You said you knew but you don’t, so you were wrong with your answer.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Greebo do you just post on boards these days because the golf course is closed?
    I won’t lie, I’ve been sticking a few posts in here and there to get a rise out of you but you are becoming tiresome & boring me now.

Ah so trolling, I'd expect you'll be getting a card then huh?

Advertisement