Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It was a serious question.
    I thought you might have known since you were arguing against courses being open.
    You said you knew but you don’t, so you were wrong with your answer.

ok, so what was the point of the question?
    Lets say the answer is 2, what's your response?
    Lets say the answer is 2,000, is your response any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ah so trolling, I'd expect you'll be getting a card then huh?

You just basically admitted to trolling me with your answer.

ok, so what was the point of the question?
    Lets say the answer is 2, what's your response?
    Lets say the answer is 2,000, is your response any different?

Of course it makes a difference, seriously what’s wrong with you.
    If it’s 1 or 0, then there’s no risk in playing golf. If it’s 2000 then there’s no way the courses should be open.

If it’s 1 or 0, then there’s no risk in playing golf. If it’s 2000 then there’s no way the courses should be open.

Sigh, which is exactly the response I expected and has already been dealt with!

I already asked you how much time and money you want the government to spend analysing every aspect of Irish social lives to come up with a fool proof plan during covid.

Btw, when I said "it didnt work out too well" I was referring to playing golf under the restrictions, not to golf spreading COVID!
    I thought that was clear if you read the entire sentence?
    "We then tried to apply golf under those rules and it didnt work out too well, but as I said earlier, if the option is no golf, I'd still rather the 2 household rules."

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Jesus. No country can have a specific rule for every single different hobby. Golf is placed in a sub category of fairly safe sports. No sports are open now. When sports open golf will be in first group out. End of story.

• Advertisement

Sigh, which is exactly the response I expected and has already been dealt with!

I already asked you how much time and money you want the government to spend analysing every aspect of Irish social lives to come up with a fool proof plan during covid.

Btw, when I said "it didnt work out too well" I was referring to playing golf under the restrictions, not to golf spreading COVID!
    I thought that was clear if you read the entire sentence?
    "We then tried to apply golf under those rules and it didnt work out too well, but as I said earlier, if the option is no golf, I'd still rather the 2 household rules."

Look if you didn’t know the answer you should have said “I don’t know”
    I haven’t been reading this thread post for post, I’ve hopped in and out of it. Maybe you should take a break from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ah so trolling, I'd expect you'll be getting a card then huh?

Well considering there is logic and meaning behind all of my posts it can hardly be considered trolling.

I’d call it debating but as I’ve said I’m bored of you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This is hilarious, after all the ****e talk back and forth this is your "Gotcha!"? Are you deliberately missing the point being made or what?

There are several industries who can claim they weren't the cause of an outbreak, its no different to Mattie McGrath this week asking for "proof" that churches caused outbreaks. There is no proof and there never will be because at no point was our contact tracing ever able to trace back far enough to pin point the causes beyond the obvious ones where x amount of people attended this event, now x amount of people have it. Where the original infection came from is rarely found. This habit of lobbyists and industries shouting for "proof" knowing full well that the HSE has none and then saying "aha! we're a safe industry so" is the most annoying part of the whole lockdown at this stage.

Playing golf is safe, nobody here is arguing otherwise as far as I'm aware, however we are in a lockdown and golf can't open. There are also people willingly ignoring the obvious fact that if golf were allowed there would be people acting the eejit, no different to NPHET practically begging parents not to mix outside schools, there'll always be eejits. Therefore, golf isn't essential and the virus is too prevalent in the community at the moment to allow it to open. Once we know where we are end of next week in terms of case numbers caused by schools we'll have a good idea if Golf might be back on in April, I'm quietly confident that it will be but until then all this arguing saying golf should be allowed right now is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Just going to throw this out agin after those riveting last 3 pages ...
    @Seve OB is there any info what the app will be able to do ? Hoping we will be able to pre book the round to contribute to the handicap analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

or in real numbers, 13,000 extra people.

At the height of the latest wave we had a coach load of people dying in Ireland every day.

You can argue for and against lockdowns in general on another thread I reckon, there are lots of them, including specific Swedish ones, but if a lockdown is your strategy then you stay locked down, opening up for random things is what got and kept us in this current mess, so for now golf stays closed.

The point is that it isnt a mess...a part from Xmas. I dont believe in god and dont celebrate Xmas

Some people just love the misery been of been stuck in their gaffs. You are obviously one of them

• Advertisement

This is hilarious, after all the ****e talk back and forth this is your "Gotcha!"? Are you deliberately missing the point being made or what?

I just asked Greebo a question.
    He asked if the numbers would make a difference and in my opinion they should make a difference.
    There’s no Gotcha, I wasn’t following what was going on before on the thread.
    I’m a bit puzzled as to what other ****e talk you’re referring to.

Just going to throw this out agin after those riveting last 3 pages ...

I suggest you have a read through the WHS threads

I just asked Greebo a question.
    He asked if the numbers would make a difference and in my opinion they should make a difference.
    There’s no Gotcha, I wasn’t following what was going on before on the thread.
    I’m a bit puzzled as to what other ****e talk you’re referring to.

A question that you knew the answer too, the "just asking questions" angle was obvious from the moment you brought it up.

In that spirit of asking questions and the all important numbers, do you think all industries and sports which have no direct link to covid cases/outbreaks should be allowed open? Or is it just golf where the numbers matter?

A question that you knew the answer too, the "just asking questions" angle was obvious from the moment you brought it up.

In that spirit of asking questions and the all important numbers, do you think all industries and sports which have no direct link to covid cases/outbreaks should be allowed open? Or is it just golf where the numbers matter?

I didn’t know the answer to it, as I previously said. Why do people feel the need to assume so much about others.

If an industry or sport that has no direct link to COVID cases and they are safe with distancing then I think they should be open.
    (Edit)To add that being outside us also a huge factor in it.
    Our huge numbers came from selfish idiots during Christmas. There are some other reasons as well but mainly from Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I see we have a load of posters still stuck in the first 3 phases of grief. I’ll check back in a few weeks to see if there is any proper discussion going on.

I didn’t know the answer to it, as I previously said. Why do people feel the need to assume so much about others.

Fair enough so, apologies for the assumption but that's what it came across to me the way I read it.
    If an industry or sport that has no direct link to COVID cases and they are safe with distancing then I think they should be open.
    Our huge numbers came from selfish idiots during Christmas. There are some other reasons as well but mainly from Christmas.

Do you not see the issue though? Lets for argument sake say government says tomorrow that Tennis and Golf can re-open because they are distanced and no covid cases linked. They wouldn't have the announcement done before an industry would launch a legal challenge looking for "proof" that they are dangerous (figures which the government don't have). You'd have the GAA saying where's the link between a GAA match and an outbreak etc etc.

The only thing they can do is say golf and tennis are allowed because they are socially distant by nature and community transmission is low enough to allow them re-open with little risk. Anything more than that, like trying to link sports to cases won't work at all. I expect them to do just that in April in any case, we're first in line to re-open but its not realistic IMO to say we should be allowed back now.

Fair enough so, apologies for the assumption but that's what it came across to me the way I read it.

Do you not see the issue though? Lets for argument sake say government says tomorrow that Tennis and Golf can re-open because they are distanced and no covid cases linked. They wouldn't have the announcement done before an industry would launch a legal challenge looking for "proof" that they are dangerous (figures which the government don't have). You'd have the GAA saying where's the link between a GAA match and an outbreak etc etc.

The only thing they can do is say golf and tennis are allowed because they are socially distant by nature and community transmission is low enough to allow them re-open with little risk. Anything more than that, like trying to link sports to cases won't work at all. I expect them to do just that in April in any case, we're first in line to re-open but its not realistic IMO to say we should be allowed back now.

I get what your saying about if one is open the others will start crying about it.

It’s open I most countries I think and I know in Scotland they are playing golf with certain restrictions and I’m sure it’s been mentioned already here.
    But do they have any difficulty legally?

I see we have a load of posters still stuck in the first 3 phases of grief. I’ll check back in a few weeks to see if there is any proper discussion going on.

Thread will be dead by then. And we’ll all be on the golf course, even playing in the dark just to get our fix.

https://youtu.be/W2lW1ZBk6VM

I get what your saying about if one is open the others will start crying about it.

It’s open I most countries I think and I know in Scotland they are playing golf with certain restrictions and I’m sure it’s been mentioned already here.
    But do they have any difficulty legally?

Its remained open in Scotland allright but they also have travel restrictions. I think because they have St Andrews Links trust and many courses are considered public courses its a little more complicated. Not sure about most countries to be honest but it has always been one of the easiest sports to allow resume/keep open.

As I said, I'm not saying its not safe, nor do I think anyone in this thread is making the argument but for the numerous reasons others have already mentioned here its currently not viable to re-open. For now I'm happy enough to go along with that, if cases stay down however and there's no easing of restrictions in April I could well have a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Again - people are way to cranky to debate - particularly with GreeBo.

To say golf didn't work out well - is totally wrong. The effort from clubs was truly extraordinary.

It worked out remarkably well.

Of course a few people pushed their luck.
    Got too close
    Didn't understand social distancing as well as they should.
    Few errors made around pro shop and car park.

But - it is the same when you are in a queue for a coffee and sandwich you don't need
    And on a trip to the park that - isn't necessary.

I think the thread has gone cranky - because GreeBo has realised that the trip to the park and playground was actually worse than golf. People handling food and drink - and kids licking slides. No thanks.

• Advertisement

Again - people are way to cranky to debate - particularly with GreeBo.

To say golf didn't work out well - is totally wrong. The effort from clubs was truly extraordinary.

It worked out remarkably well.

Of course a few people pushed their luck.
    Got too close
    Didn't understand social distancing as well as they should.
    Few errors made around pro shop and car park.

But - it is the same when you are in a queue for a coffee and sandwich you don't need
    And on a trip to the park that - isn't necessary.

I think the thread has gone cranky - because GreeBo has realised that the trip to the park and playground was actually worse than golf. People handling food and drink - and kids licking slides. No thanks.

Agreed on the cranky, fair to say everyone is fed up so a bit of crankiness has seeped into everything these days. Hopefully we'll be back in business come the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Guys - we all need a change of tone. (IMO)

Anyone want to talk about what they will do post lockdown ?

To start - I'm always slow off the mark for the same 4 ball - at the same time. at the same day. I don't like the mouse clicks or finger touches of chasing a tee time like a concert ticket.

I'll prefer a Tuesday or a random Thursday with the panic 1/2 gone. Play 9 with a few close friends or a few random unknowns - win a fiver , hit a big drive (not as big as before) , see a line, make a putt. Hit a mid iron that is so perfect it feels effortless.

Be aware of my surroundings and the outrageous peacefulness and oasis that golf present in suburbia.

Enjoy a rare break for the course growth - observe the ground and the grass and the rest it has had. A well deserved rest, from these over demanding cranky golfers.

Observe how nature has reclaimed the course and things that are far too natural and right.

Be back in touch with the sea and the birds and the views and the sunset and the feeling and sounds of silence.

Enjoy the odd conversation with a passer by - a chat with the greenkeepers.

Meet the incredible older golfers - the ones who have survived, or have been vaccinated - hear the stories of cocooning and what the vaccine was like. Hear in disappointment - of some of the men in their 80s who will not be back - or the time lost , was lost time to their last time on a course.

I look forward to my first pint in the clubhouse, my first meal - but perhaps that is hope past real hope.

I look forward to the first drink of water from a well placed drinking tap.

I look forward to my first birdie - my hopeful missed eagle - my first round under 80.

I even look forward to finding my first golf ball - and a coke on the course.

I even look forward to seeing stupid slow play, people breaking rules and marking balls wrong :D

Perhaps - this will change me to be more tolerant and appreciative.

But come back to me in a year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Guys - we all need a change of tone. (IMO)

Anyone want to talk about what they will do post lockdown ?

To start - I'm always slow off the mark for the same 4 ball - at the same time. at the same day. I don't like the mouse clicks or finger touches of chasing a tee time like a concert ticket.

I'll prefer a Tuesday or a random Thursday with the panic 1/2 gone. Play 9 with a few close friends or a few random unknowns - win a fiver , hit a big drive (not as big as before) , see a line, make a putt. Hit a mid iron that is so perfect it feels effortless.

Be aware of my surroundings and the outrageous peacefulness and oasis that golf present in suburbia.

Enjoy a rare break for the course growth - observe the ground and the grass and the rest it has had. A well deserved rest, from these over demanding cranky golfers.

Observe how nature has reclaimed the course and things that are far too natural and right.

Be back in touch with the sea and the birds and the views and the sunset and the feeling and sounds of silence.

Enjoy the odd conversation with a passer by - a chat with the greenkeepers.

Meet the incredible older golfers - the ones who have survived, or have been vaccinated - hear the stories of cocooning and what the vaccine was like. Hear in disappointment - of some of the men in their 80s who will not be back - or the time lost , was lost time to their last time on a course.

I look forward to my first pint in the clubhouse, my first meal - but perhaps that is hope past real hope.

I look forward to the first drink of water from a well placed drinking tap.

I look forward to my first birdie - my hopeful missed eagle - my first round under 80.

I even look forward to finding my first golf ball - and a coke on the course.

I even look forward to seeing stupid slow play, people breaking rules and marking balls wrong :D

Perhaps - this will change me to be more tolerant and appreciative.

But come back to me in a year :D

Dude, I just wanna play golf. ( And of course have a few pints). Don't think I'm asking for much.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well considering there is logic and meaning behind all of my posts it can hardly be considered trolling.

I’d call it debating but as I’ve said I’m bored of you now.
    Seve OB wrote:
    I won’t lie, I’ve been sticking a few posts in here and there to get a rise out of you

Yeah, that's quality debating alright.:rolleyes:
    Nice edit on your original post though "badly worded" and "interpreted the wrong way" indeed, I'm sure that wont fool anyone and your card is imminent, everyone being treated equally on here and all.

Look if you didn’t know the answer you should have said “I don’t know”
    I haven’t been reading this thread post for post, I’ve hopped in and out of it. Maybe you should take a break from it.

Well you replied to and quoted my post chief, so I had assumed you had bothered to actually read it first, thats typically the way things work on here with most posters, lesson learned I guess!

There are several industries who can claim they weren't the cause of an outbreak, its no different to Mattie McGrath this week asking for "proof" that churches caused outbreaks. There is no proof and there never will be because at no point was our contact tracing ever able to trace back far enough to pin point the causes beyond the obvious ones where x amount of people attended this event, now x amount of people have it. Where the original infection came from is rarely found. This habit of lobbyists and industries shouting for "proof" knowing full well that the HSE has none and then saying "aha! we're a safe industry so" is the most annoying part of the whole lockdown at this stage.

Playing golf is safe, nobody here is arguing otherwise as far as I'm aware, however we are in a lockdown and golf can't open. There are also people willingly ignoring the obvious fact that if golf were allowed there would be people acting the eejit, no different to NPHET practically begging parents not to mix outside schools, there'll always be eejits. Therefore, golf isn't essential and the virus is too prevalent in the community at the moment to allow it to open. Once we know where we are end of next week in terms of case numbers caused by schools we'll have a good idea if Golf might be back on in April, I'm quietly confident that it will be but until then all this arguing saying golf should be allowed right now is pointless.

Halle-bleedin'-lujah!:o

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The point is that it isnt a mess...a part from Xmas. I dont believe in god and dont celebrate Xmas

"mess" being people dying and stuck in hospitals, normal life on pause and people missing critical medical appointments and important occasions, not you missing your Sunday fourball!
    gypsy79 wrote: »
    Some people just love the misery been of been stuck in their gaffs. You are obviously one of them
    Some people clearly arent able to have a grown up conversation with someone who holds a different opinion to them without resorting to these ad hominem attacks. Maybe something to work on over lockdown?

Btw if you can show *any* evidence that I'm enjoying lockdown, as opposed to I understand and accept lockdown, you just go right ahead and post it.

Its remained open in Scotland allright but they also have travel restrictions. I think because they have St Andrews Links trust and many courses are considered public courses its a little more complicated. Not sure about most countries to be honest but it has always been one of the easiest sports to allow resume/keep open.

As I said, I'm not saying its not safe, nor do I think anyone in this thread is making the argument but for the numerous reasons others have already mentioned here its currently not viable to re-open. For now I'm happy enough to go along with that, if cases stay down however and there's no easing of restrictions in April I could well have a different view.

I dont think there is any reason to believe the gov wont open up everything just as soon as they can, it would make no sense.
    Lots of people seem to believe, as evidenced on this and other threads, that there is some cohort of people who just love the lockdown, government included.
    No one wants to be in this situation, certainly not the government, so they will open up as and when they believe it is safe to do so. Opening up earlier than that leads to what we have just had in Jan & Feb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Stop the nonsense. Cards have been issued and more will follow when we review the entire thread. If the thread isn't back on topic soon it will be locked and all COVID discussion banned from the golf forum as people cannot have a proper debate without labelling something as trolling. Just because you get asked to backup a statement that's not trolling, that asking for factual evidence to backup your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Shut it down for the love of God

Advertisement